Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got some SN Oktoberfest waiting for the end of soccer practice at home.

275.gif

I tried Good People's Bearded Lady wheat beer last night.  I am disappoint.

Really didn't have very good flavor at all.  They really need to go back to the drawing board and start over with that one.  And I like their beers generally, especially the Brown Ale and Coffee Oatmeal Stout.

40 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Really didn't have very good flavor at all.  They really need to go back to the drawing board and start over with that one.  And I like their beers generally, especially the Brown Ale and Coffee Oatmeal Stout.

Hear, hear, on all of it.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Me, too. It's good. I love Oktoberfests. 

It is very good. I think last year's collab was better, though.

42 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Pale wheats tend to be pretty hit or miss in my experience, Oberon being a good one. Yeah, Good People missed badly on that one.

I am slowly working my way through the Deschutes lineup that's available at the grocery store. Last nigh was their Swivelhead Red India style red ale. Very, very nice. Malt galore with some floral hop. 

Just now, Bigbens42 said:

Pale wheats tend to be pretty hit or miss in my experience, Oberon being a good one. Yeah, Good People missed badly on that one.

I'm a big fan of wheat beers, especially unfiltered ones.  Oberon is excellent.  Hacker Pschorr Weiss is one of my all time favorites.  Good People's is just bad.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm a big fan of wheat beers, especially unfiltered ones.  Oberon is excellent.  

Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is a good pale wheat to, and it's not too hard to find.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Hacker Pschorr Weiss is one of my all time favorites.

Never had it but it sounds like I may have to try it if I come across it.

On the subject of wheat beers, ever gone off the beaten path and tried a Gose? That's pretty much where I've been hanging on the wheat side of things for a while now.

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is a good pale wheat to, and it's not too hard to find.

Never had it but it sounds like I may have to try it if I come across it.

On the subject of wheat beers, ever gone off the beaten path and tried a Gose? That's pretty much where I've been hanging on the wheat side of things for a while now.

I haven't tried a straight up one.  Sierra Nevada has a "Gose-like" beer called Otravez that I like pretty well though.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I haven't tried a straight up one.  Sierra Nevada has a "Gose-like" beer called Otravez that I like pretty well though.

It's a good intro to the style.

Last three summers I've been crushing Westbrook's Gose and their Key Lime variety after yardwork. My dad even loves them, and he's a Coors drinker.

13 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I am slowly working my way through the Deschutes lineup that's available at the grocery store. Last nigh was their Swivelhead Red India style red ale. Very, very nice. Malt galore with some floral hop. 

Met a girl from Portland the other day and she was bemoaning the fact that nobody in the SE really makes red ales. They take it pretty seriously out there, I guess. I actually had a couple from Deschutes and Ninkasi and they were fantastic. Somehow pleasantly malty where I find a lot of DIPAs to be unpleasantly malty... I guess it's the type of malt? I really don't know. Glad you're taking advantage! Too bad you're not flying out of PDX. They have an amazing craft beer store... AFTER security. 

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm a big fan of wheat beers, especially unfiltered ones.  Oberon is excellent.  Hacker Pschorr Weiss is one of my all time favorites.  Good People's is just bad.

Some things aren't broken and don't need fixing, and several German beer styles fall in that category. We're just not going to make better versions of beers that they've been making for 500 years. 

As for tart wheat beers, I find I prefer Berliner weisses to goses. I love that biscuity finish. 

My God, the beer game out here is amazing. Just amazing. I ate at a butcher shop tonight. They serve food once a week...various fresh smoked meats. Two walk in coolers, one with all the fixins for your meal, the other with all the beer, wine, and charcuterie you could want. Picnic tables outside with your choice of smoked meats(tri tip, ribs, chicken).

I had a blood orange IPA from Elysian. Good, not outstanding, but solid. I also picked up a salted caramel BBA Porter from a brewery in Cali. Saving it for my return trip.

13 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

tfw you stumble across a Xocoveza in your beer fridge. 

A hair under a year of age really amplified the coffee flavors, at the expense of everything else, unfortunately. Still good but, as expected, fresh is the way to go on this one.

Off to Lexington by way of Nashville today. Stopping in Nashville to tour Belle Meade and we'll be eating lunch at a brewery--Tailgate or Tennessee Brew Works. 

Touring Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill tomorrow. 

Work events, such a chore. 

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Off to Lexington by way of Nashville today. Stopping in Nashville to tour Belle Meade and we'll be eating lunch at a brewery--Tailgate or Tennessee Brew Works. 

Touring Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill tomorrow. 

Work events, such a chore. 

Tailgate brewery is fantastic.  Had a SweetTart beer (yeah, it tastes like candy) and a Neopolitan beer (tastes like ice cream) there.  Pizza isn't half bad either.

Started off with mimosas at 8am. Didn't make it to TN Brew works or Tailgate. But we did check out Corsair, whom has a nano brewery(1bbl system!). They had two guest taps, I had a Bearded Iris Homestyle and Corsair's barrel aged molè chocolate stout(fantastic).

We went to Cochon for lunch. Which was bomb. Got the pork belly sammich, and we had some deviled eggs, duck salami(!!), muffuletta. And I got a Bearded Iris DDH Chief of Chiefs. 

Drank a Sour Monkey in the rental Suburban, and currently having a Wiseacre Memphis Sands Helles Lager.

Belle Meade was really cool too. Cognac barrel aged bourbon was my favorite, but I'd never drop $80 on a bottle. 

Pics next post. 

If you're still in Lexington, Shocks, Bluegrass Tavern is the best whiskey bar I've ever been to. Cochon Butcher is awesome. 

Nice work, all. Nothing too exciting from me. Oh, my buddy did bring a great RIS back from Amsterdam for me. Roos B(l)ack BA w/ coconut and lime. The lime was almost nonexistent, which was a good thing I think. I love it when flavors are added only to the point that they round out the flavor profile and just make it more full and complex, instead of being loud and dominant. Unless it's coffee. I love big coffee flavors. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

@Tiger Refuge- you and yours okay? I don't think anything major has made it up your way but is it going to? Sounds like sh** is getting real as far as NOLA already. 

Man, this really sucks. 

Yeah bud, we are good. Light rain so far, predicting 3-9", depending on how everything plays out. 

I'm still out west. Staying in Reno tonight, fly home early tomorrow. Could be interesting.

As an aside(long shot), anyone have any recs for breweries in Reno? I have an afternoon to kill...

21 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yeah bud, we are good. Light rain so far, predicting 3-9", depending on how everything plays out. 

I'm still out west. Staying in Reno tonight, fly home early tomorrow. Could be interesting.

As an aside(long shot), anyone have any recs for breweries in Reno? I have an afternoon to kill...

Never been to Reno so no personal experience or anything organic about these recs, buuut.... https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/list/?city=Reno&c_id=US&s_id=NV

Archived