Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, McLoofus said:

It has the warming burn I'm looking for right now. Yessssss.

It's delicious. One of my favorites. 

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

It's delicious. One of my favorites. 

Chased it with Old Rasputin. The Raspy might be a bit more balanced and restrained but honestly the brashness of the Fidy was preferable tonight. Note to self: always grab at least 2.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Chased it with Old Rasputin. The Raspy might be a bit more balanced and restrained but honestly the brashness of the Fidy was preferable tonight. Note to self: always grab at least 2.

It's just so over the top with the bourbon. Hits you like a sack of hammers in a way that few BBA beers do. Love it. The Rasputin is much like that on the nose, but much more restrained on the palate, IMO. 

15 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

It's just so over the top with the bourbon. Hits you like a sack of hammers in a way that few BBA beers do. Love it. The Rasputin is much like that on the nose, but much more restrained on the palate, IMO. 

Truly could not have said it better. Perfectly stated.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Truly could not have said it better. Perfectly stated.

It's things like this that make me realize I've become a beer geek in the 3 years since I picked up the habit. 

6 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

It's things like this that make me realize I've become a beer geek in the 3 years since I picked up the habit. 

You're definitely a beer geek. But not the off-putting douchey kind.

Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons translates to a lot of different interests, I'm sure, and beer has to be near the top of the list.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're definitely a beer geek. But not the off-putting douchey kind.

Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons translates to a lot of different interests, I'm sure, and beer has to be near the top of the list.

First post in the thread. Start of the journey. 

On 6/6/2014 at 6:02 PM, Bigbens42 said:

Currently sitting at the table in Belle's Castle. Ordered a Chimay Blue. It's spectacular.

EDIT: Had a Chimay Red right behind it. Also spectacular.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hell of a start right there! 

And then we promptly walked out and hopped on the dwarves' mine train. Uncomfortably sloshy ride. 

16 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

hopped on the dwarves' mine train

Given our recent diatribe lite, that is too funny. In all seriousness Ben, I am glad you are a beer geek. Your contributions here are very welcomed. :cheers:

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

Given our recent diatribe lite, that is too funny. In all seriousness Ben, I am glad you are a beer geek. Your contributions here are very welcomed. :cheers:

Likewise, my man. What happens in the smack board stays in the smack board. :cheers:

On 9/28/2012 at 9:50 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

I was in Pensacola about a month ago and went to the World of Beer...awesome place. I liked that they would let you taste what was on tap for free.

My all time favorite...Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout.

Easy go to's....Abita Amber, Samual Adams Seasonals, Shiner

Newly tried like...Xingu(sp?)

I used to HATE IPA's, but for some reason, I am growing to like them...any suggestions?

Hates...Corona, Amstel Light, Heineken.

@Bigbens42 You made me curious, so I searched for my first post here as well. Interesting....very interesting.

7 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

@Bigbens42 You made me curious, so I searched for my first post here as well. Interesting....very interesting.

It's fun to look back. Learned a lot in my time here. 

Too bad World of Beer is no more in the 'ham. 

2 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

It's fun to look back. Learned a lot in my time here. 

Too bad World of Beer is no more in the 'ham. 

Absolutely. And my worst beer list is still the same. 

I went to a WOB the last time I was in NOLA. I’d go back. Again and again.

On 12/8/2017 at 7:47 PM, McLoofus said:

Rittenhouse Rye is an affordable option for old fashioneds if you like rye old fashioneds. 

I've liked like 3 or 4 of them tonight. 

Happy Everybody, Friday! Wait, what...

“Receptionist: [talking on the phone] You big hotty-dottie. You smoke vile cigars all day and drink whiskey half the night. Someday, you'll drown in a vat of whiskey.

Fields: Drown in a vat of whiskey. Death where is thy sting?”

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Never_Give_a_Sucker_an_Even_Break

Speaking of Rye Whiskey, if you ever see a bottle of this beautiful stuff, get you some. I never see it anywhere, unfortunately. Once in a liquor store in Nashville and once in a bar in Charleston. Aged, from what I can tell, anywhere from 4-8 years. I can't recall which years I've had, but I'm certain every release is good. 

img_912_1.jpg

@ShocksMyBrain do you guys carry it?

And, serious proposition - if any of you do come across it, will you let me know?

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Speaking of Rye Whiskey, if you ever see a bottle of this beautiful stuff, get you some. I never see it anywhere, unfortunately. Once in a liquor store in Nashville and once in a bar in Charleston. Aged, from what I can tell, anywhere from 4-8 years. I can't recall which years I've had, but I'm certain every release is good. 

img_912_1.jpg

@ShocksMyBrain do you guys carry it?

And, serious proposition - if any of you do come across it, will you let me know?

We haven’t had it in a while...probably close to a year. Willet is doing major work on their distillery which I believe has affected production. 

We had been out of Rowan’s Creek for a few months, and only just recently got a single case of it back in. We were also struggling getting 750s of the regular ol potstill for a while. 

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We haven’t had it in a while...probably close to a year. Willet is doing major work on their distillery which I believe has affected production. 

We had been out of Rowan’s Creek for a few months, and only just recently got a single case of it back in. We were also struggling getting 750s of the regular ol potstill for a while. 

Apparently, Blanton's is becoming more and more difficult to ascertain in Alabama. Wasn't a huge fan of Rowan's Creek. I need to taste the potstill again, though. It's been a long time and I honestly can't remember what my impression was. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Apparently, Blanton's is becoming more and more difficult to ascertain in Alabama. Wasn't a huge fan of Rowan's Creek. I need to taste the potstill again, though. It's been a long time and I honestly can't remember what my impression was. 

Blanton’s is difficult to get in a lot of places. We almost always have it in stock, and that’s not because we haven’t been able to sell it. Some woman from Arkansas came in a week or two ago and bought 18 bottles(we currently have our own store barrel). But we are also one of the biggest sellers of Buffalo Trace in the state, so we get some preferential treatment. 

I also haven’t had potstill in a long time. I did try Old Bardstown when we were at the distillery. Good stuff. Only sold in Kentucky. Johnny Drumm is also pretty tasty. 

16 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Blanton’s is difficult to get in a lot of places. We almost always have it in stock, and that’s not because we haven’t been able to sell it. Some woman from Arkansas came in a week or two ago and bought 18 bottles(we currently have our own store barrel). But we are also one of the biggest sellers of Buffalo Trace in the state, so we get some preferential treatment. 

I also haven’t had potstill in a long time. I did try Old Bardstown when we were at the distillery. Good stuff. Only sold in Kentucky. Johnny Drumm is also pretty tasty. 

Love me some BT. It and Elijah Craig are my go-to's under $30.00. Lately I've become more preferential to Elijah Craig, but I usually have a bottle of each. I need to re-up on my Blanton's. Its been a long time since I've owned a bottle. Probably 4 years. I do have a miniature bottle, but I don't want to open it because it looks so cool. Problem is, I dropped some serious coin on that bottle of George T. Stagg and Elijah Craig 18 years, so I'm trying to earn back some brownie points. Although, to that point, a friend's dad always tells me (about brownie points), "They're non-redeemable, and they don't accumulate over time." 

Archived