Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

26 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

How I usually approach a customer goes as follows. 

See a customer looking. 

“Can I help you find anything?”

”No, I think I’m good.”

”Okay give me a shout if you have any questions”.

If I still see them looking 5 minutes later, I’ll swing back around and start asking about what style they like so on and so forth. A lot of people are afraid to ask for help. If I get the cold shoulder again, I just leave them alone. Maybe ask them what they grabbed on the way out to show that I’m generally interested in what they’re buying because I usually am.

Other times:

”Hey, do you need any help?”

”Well I like blah blah from blah blah”

”Cool, well we have [insert 3 different suggestions, placing emphasis on my favorite]”

I’ve got customers now that will basically buy anything I tell them to because we’ve established that trust. 

I'm the second guy for sure. There's so much out there, it's impossible to keep up, especially with things like seasonals. There's a store here that has an awesome selection that I don't use anymore, mostly because half of their staff doesn't know what they are talking about. On the other hand, the one I do like to visit had incredibly friendly staff who act exactly as you described. You're gonna do well at this.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m a super easy up sell. Especially if I trust the person. I only have one guy like that that here. He knows what I like, but he won’t pressure me. Just keep me informed of what’s in stock that might interest me. 

Curious us as to why bourbon drinkers have a bad rap.

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Curious us as to why bourbon drinkers have a bad rap.

Super pushy. Always wanting the “secret stash”. Come in frequently without buying. Always trying to make connects to get preferential treatment. 

“Y’all got any Pappy?!” is a very common, and laughed about question among us retailers. It should be memed.  

Also re: bourbon. So many people buy the s*** as a status symbol. When someone tells me about all the unopened Pappy they have with no intention of ever opening it...I just want to kick them in the nuts. You’re not cool, your friends think you’re a douche. 

Just open it and drink it FFS. Sure, save it for special occasions—Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays, etc. But don’t tell me to my face that you will never open it, you’re just an a**hole taking a bottle away from someone else who’d appreciate it. 

My dad buys nice bottles of allocated s*** when it’s available. You know what he does? He drinks it like a man. He knows life is short and he may not get to enjoy that bottle forever. He also shares it with me because I can hook him up...

So that’s why I hate bourbon hounds. Scotch drinkers are nothing like them, high end wine drinkers are nothing like them, no one is. They’re in a class unto themselves because they read an article 10 years ago that completely blew up the bourbon game. 

I may hoard beers, yes. But aging a beer gives it new characteristics. Holding onto a bottle of bourbon will never change it, it will always be the same as when it went into that bottle. 

Obviously I’m very passionate about this. 

That’s very interesting. Being super green to the bourbon scene, I’ve wondered what happened to drive up demand so sharply. I’ve had several people mention how cheap/available certain “good” bourbons used to be. I can totally see some Douchey Magee hording bourbon with no intent to partake. In fact, I probably know a few. Thanks for nothing, D Magee.

59 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

That’s very interesting. Being super green to the bourbon scene, I’ve wondered what happened to drive up demand so sharply. I’ve had several people mention how cheap/available certain “good” bourbons used to be. I can totally see some Douchey Magee hording bourbon with no intent to partake. In fact, I probably know a few. Thanks for nothing, D Magee.

IIRC, some guy wrote an article in a magazine 10 years ago(I touched on that) about how great Pappy was. Ever since then people have been losing their mind over it. 

Prior to that you could buy a bottle of Pappy straight off the shelf for half of what it costs now. I used to grab 20yr for $99.99 for Summer vacation trips. 

You also have people buying it and then flipping it. They’re truly the worst of the group. 

16 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

IIRC, some guy wrote an article in a magazine 10 years ago(I touched on that) about how great Pappy was. Ever since then people have been losing their mind over it. 

Prior to that you could buy a bottle of Pappy straight off the shelf for half of what it costs now. I used to grab 20yr for $99.99 for Summer vacation trips. 

You also have people buying it and then flipping it. They’re truly the worst of the group. 

Christ, the way those people have driven up the prices. It's exactly the same as the ticket scalpers. They're horrible. And they know that there are plenty of those rich douchebags- or, perhaps even more often, douchebags who want people to think they're rich- who will not only pay an exorbitant upcharge for things, but who will actually pay the upcharge *because it's exorbitant*. 

My dad was rightfully proud that he was given a bottle of Weller 12 as a retirement gift. But then he told my brother, "This is a $150 bottle of bourbon." I said, "Yeah, it's so difficult to find that $150 is what you will actually pay for a $35 bottle." He didn't believe me. I showed him the photo you shared of your store's lottery list. 

It's interesting to me that scotch drinkers don't cross over with their behavior as much, though. I guess scotch isn't the hype-driven market that bourbon is, for whatever reason. Maybe because the distillers aren't here?

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Christ, the way those people have driven up the prices. It's exactly the same as the ticket scalpers. They're horrible. And they know that there are plenty of those rich douchebags- or, perhaps even more often, douchebags who want people to think they're rich- who will not only pay an exorbitant upcharge for things, but who will actually pay the upcharge *because it's exorbitant*. 

My dad was rightfully proud that he was given a bottle of Weller 12 as a retirement gift. But then he told my brother, "This is a $150 bottle of bourbon." I said, "Yeah, it's so difficult to find that $150 is what you will actually pay for a $35 bottle." He didn't believe me. I showed him the photo you shared of your store's lottery list. 

It's interesting to me that scotch drinkers don't cross over with their behavior as much, though. I guess scotch isn't the hype-driven market that bourbon is, for whatever reason. Maybe because the distillers aren't here?

Good base line flagship 12 year single malts start around $60. They’re already “expensive” and I don’t think they’ll ever run out of 12 year single malts. Especially now with the bourbon boom in the US. Scotch makers are one of the biggest buyers of used bourbon barrels.

20 year scotches start around $300, so I can’t see people dropping 3 bills because they read an article. And wealthy people are already buying 20 year scotches. 

I may have said this before, but I think there’s potential for Irish Whisky to take off like a rocket in the next few years. There’s some really good, affordable bottles starting to pop up that are much better than Bushmills, standard Jameson, Tullamore Dew, etc. 

Buy a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel(~$35). It’s delicious. I tried it next to Weller 12 last year and liked it better than Weller. Also check out Sexton Single Malt Irish(~$25), made by the same guy who does Hendricks Gin. 

11 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Good base line flagship 12 year single malts start around $60. They’re already “expensive” and I don’t think they’ll ever run out of 12 year single malts. Especially now with the bourbon boom in the US. Scotch makers are one of the biggest buyers of used bourbon barrels.

20 year scotches start around $300, so I can’t see people dropping 3 bills because they read an article. And wealthy people are already buying 20 year scotches. 

That's a good point. Nobody's trying every new hyped $35 bottle of scotch on the market looking for the next Lagavulin. And there aren't any "craft distillers" coming to market with a 12 year old spirit. Very few, anyway. 

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I may have said this before, but I think there’s potential for Irish Whisky to take off like a rocket in the next few years. There’s some really good, affordable bottles starting to pop up that are much better than Bushmills, standard Jameson, Tullamore Dew, etc. 

Buy a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel(~$35). It’s delicious. I tried it next to Weller 12 last year and liked it better than Weller. Also check out Sexton Single Malt Irish(~$25), made by the same guy who does Hendricks Gin. 

Man, the first time I tried Green Spot, it was like I'd discovered a new continent. Haven't even had Yellow Spot yet. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

That's a good point. Nobody's trying every new hyped $35 bottle of scotch on the market looking for the next Lagavulin. And there aren't any "craft distillers" coming to market with a 12 year old spirit. Very few, anyway. 

Tomatin makes a very solid 12 year Highland single malt for $35. Not quite as good as Macallan, but it’s a good substitute on a budget. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Man, the first time I tried Green Spot, it was like I'd discovered a new continent. Haven't even had Yellow Spot yet. 

Watch, if Irish takes off, Red Breast and the Spots prices are going to jump way up. 

Craft vodka and gin are starting to become a thing now too. 

5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Tomatin makes a very solid 12 year Highland single malt for $35. Not quite as good as Macallan, but it’s a good substitute on a budget. 

Do you guys carry Black Bottle? I know that blends aren't cool, but that one is magic for middle class Islay fans like me. By the way, my favorite full service package store in Atlanta- AY! is just a beer shop- is Decatur Package, and a little closer to what I picture your place being like. And they have no problem selling you something inexpensive if they believe in it. I never would have known about a $25 bottle of go-to scotch had it not been for them. Back to that trust thing. When I had to give money to somebody, I wanted to give it to them. 

I get craft gin. Actually have some down here I'm quite fond of. Very Bombay Sapphire-like. Vodka is vodka for me. Like an offensive lineman, I usually only notice when it's not good. 

I do like the stuff from Corsair, also, as far as craft distillers go. Their Triple Smoke might be a little gimmicky, but I love it. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Do you guys carry Black Bottle? I know that blends aren't cool, but that one is magic for middle class Islay fans like me. By the way, my favorite full service package store in Atlanta- AY! is just a beer shop- is Decatur Package, and a little closer to what I picture your place being like. And they have no problem selling you something inexpensive if they believe in it. I never would have known about a $25 bottle of go-to scotch had it not been for them. Back to that trust thing. When I had to give money to somebody, I wanted to give it to them. 

I get craft gin. Actually have some down here I'm quite fond of. Very Bombay Sapphire-like. Vodka is vodka for me. Like an offensive lineman, I usually only notice when it's not good. 

I do like the stuff from Corsair, also, as far as craft distillers go. Their Triple Smoke might be a little gimmicky, but I love it. 

We used to carry Black Bottle, but it didn’t move. Scotch drinkers are stubborn, and very hard to turn onto new things. They’re not a**holes, but they know what they like and usually stick to it. 

I like Corsair as well. They do new and innovative and off the wall stuff. We currently have a 9 grain(!) bourbon from them. Their tasting bar in Nashville is pretty awesome too. They also have a nano brewery on site there, believe a 1 barrel system and the beer is actually pretty legit. 

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Bombay Sapphire, and Pusser's Rum are the only two liquors that I've met that, in small sips, completely evaporate off the tongue.

More nose% than any brandies I've tried.

26 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Bombay Sapphire, and Pusser's Rum are the only two liquors that I've met that, in small sips, completely evaporate off the tongue.

More nose% than any brandies I've tried.

Pusser's Rum, you say... Much obliged.

Haven't really tried brandy. Should I?

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Go with Cognac. It’s more expensive, and tastes better. Try Camus or Martell. Both in the $30 range, cheaper than Henny and tastes better too. I also like Meukow. 

Eight year old decided to set the table for breakfast this morning. Set out plates, silverware and milk for her sisters and momma, except in daddy’s case where she set out a beer. Go figure. :laugh:

14 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Depends. Not really a party booze. More contemplative? Slow, relaxed warming and sniffing (you can patiently build a buzz via sinuses, before the 1st sip). Like Mr. Brain says above, aim for the Cognacs, though I'm partial to the Hennessys. Cognacs tend to be smoother than others but, amongst them, I find the Hennessy fuller bodied. I'm rarely enough in the mood (restricted to winter/fireplace situations in So. Ala.) that a bottle lasts me a couple years. I've also been fond of Fundador (a cheap, Spanish, full-bodied non-Cognac) when I can find it. Don't waste it in eggnog. I use the cheapest stuff I can find (this year, E&J) for that, but combine it with a good dark rum.

20 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Depends. Not really a party booze. More contemplative? Slow, relaxed warming and sniffing (you can patiently build a buzz via sinuses, before the 1st sip). Like Mr. Brain says above, aim for the Cognacs, though I'm partial to the Hennessys. Cognacs tend to be smoother than others but, amongst them, I find the Hennessy fuller bodied. I'm rarely enough in the mood (restricted to winter/fireplace situations in So. Ala.) that a bottle lasts me a couple years. I've also been fond of Fundador (a cheap, Spanish, full-bodied non-Cognac) when I can find it. Don't waste it in eggnog. I use the cheapest stuff I can find (this year, E&J) for that, but combine it with a good dark rum.

@Tiger Refuge, you were saying?

Thanks as always, gentlemen.

Two yearly releases from Wiseacre. Astronaut Status is impressive—huge notes of coconut, cinnamon, and mocha. 

Symphonic. Tame for a wild al...err lager. Nice cherry pie flavor. Comes off a little watered down. 

2qgFQOk.jpg

1ohO332.jpg

Archived