Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

23 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I would never spend that much on a tequila. But I don’t mind when they bring it in for us to taste. 

I wouldn’t spend that much on really anything. Bourbon and a bomb Cabernet Sauvignon would be two I’d think on. 

With you. For a truly transcendent bourbon or Islay scotch, maybe. Otherwise, no.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopslam hits the shelves tomorrow. Debating whether or not I want to go snatch some in the 15 minute window it will be available. 

21 hours ago, AUDub said:

Hopslam hits the shelves tomorrow. Debating whether or not I want to go snatch some in the 15 minute window it will be available. 

I grabbed a 6 pack yesterday when it rolled in the door. Probably crack 1 tonight, will report. 

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I grabbed a 6 pack yesterday when it rolled in the door. Probably crack 1 tonight, will report. 

Guess I'm going to go see about getting some. Hell, if I miss, they're popping a keg this weekend. That's the only way I was able to try it last year, but at least I was able to.

Got some. They were selling it a tad early and had a good bit left, but at the rate it was going they’ll be out by six. Letting it get to temp before I partake. 

15 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Got some. They were selling it a tad early and had a good bit left, but at the rate it was going they’ll be out by six. Letting it get to temp before I partake. 

What was the price?

PAqXHMI.jpg

Still tasty. Maybe a little sweeter than last year up front, but that might just be faulty recall. 

12 hours ago, AUDub said:

That's actually pretty reasonable for a sixer of that stuff.

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Agree. Honey is definitely there. Just as boozy as I remember though. 

Hmm. Maybe I'll look for it. That actually sounds really appealing right now. Loving all the NEIPAs but they're becoming almost as ubiquitous/generic as West Coast IPAs were.

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's actually pretty reasonable for a sixer of that stuff.

Hmm. Maybe I'll look for it. That actually sounds really appealing right now. Loving all the NEIPAs but they're becoming almost as ubiquitous/generic as West Coast IPAs were.

I had to go live in stoutville for a bit this winter for the same reason(also, been keeping Great Raft's schwarzbier on hand). I have a Grimm Sugarmaker in the fridge at home. It was a blind purchase....I'm living dangerously, I know. 

I have kept my eyes open for any new arrivals from Parish, but it looks like they stuck to their "brewery only" promise on all their new IPA releases. 

20 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I have kept my eyes open for any new arrivals from Parish, but it looks like they stuck to their "brewery only" promise on all their new IPA releases. 

NOLA folks getting mad that they couldn't get any of their hometown suds?

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

NOLA folks getting mad that they couldn't get any of their hometown suds?

They are all too busy celebrating DFHs arrival in Louisiana to notice. Plus, they live in NOLA, so there’s that.?

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

They are all too busy celebrating DFHs arrival in Louisiana to notice. Plus, they live in NOLA, so there’s that.?

I guess when you live in a place where, daily, you trip over a killer drink and land face-first in a plate of amazing food, with a world class funk band that nobody outside of your neighborhood has ever heard of providing the soundtrack to it all...

8 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

That’s almost as bad as celebrating New Belgium’s arrival. And I love DFH for the most part, but it’s just so *pushes glasses up* common. 

16 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

That’s almost as bad as celebrating New Belgium’s arrival. And I love DFH for the most part, but it’s just so *pushes glasses up* common. 

Is it bad I still have a “Biking into the Bayou State” commemorative Fat Tire? 

Yikes...it hurts to read what I typed. 

Just picked up SN Hop Bullet. Packaged early December, so not super fresh, but it's infused with hop dust or some crap so I'm wondering if the hop essence will still be somewhat "fresh". $14.50 for a 12 pack of 8% beer, and it's SN, so it can't be *bad* I don't think. 

Also picked up a single of Alpine Duet as a bit of a splurge. And a handle of Bulleit Rye. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just picked up SN Hop Bullet. Packaged early December, so not super fresh, but it's infused with hop dust or some crap so I'm wondering if the hop essence will still be somewhat "fresh". $14.50 for a 12 pack of 8% beer, and it's SN, so it can't be *bad* I don't think. 

Also picked up a single of Alpine Duet as a bit of a splurge. And a handle of Bulleit Rye. 

Love the Duet. Let me know how the Hop Bullet is. I’m curious. 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.  Really nice flavor.  Also a high gravity one at 8.2% ABV.

ky-ale.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised with that one. It almost seems like a tourism gimmick or something- like, who brews it? what else do they brew? etc- but it's a solid beer. Probably pretty versatile at the dinner table for how boozy it is, too. IIRC.

21 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.  Really nice flavor.  Also a high gravity one at 8.2% ABV.

ky-ale.jpg

I've passed that one up at the Pig several times. Guess I need to go back and give it a go. 

15 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I've passed that one up at the Pig several times. Guess I need to go back and give it a go. 

If you ever do the mixed sixer deal for sampling randos, this would be a good candidate.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I was pleasantly surprised with that one. It almost seems like a tourism gimmick or something- like, who brews it? what else do they brew? etc- but it's a solid beer. Probably pretty versatile at the dinner table for how boozy it is, too. IIRC.

ALLTECH Brewing or something similar. No wonder they don’t plaster their brewery name on the label. They do a bunch of various whiskey barrel aged stuff. I find it mostly inadequate in this day and age. 

Somewhat amusing story, I got chastised at my first beer store job for saying the ale tastes like carbonated whiskey. Apparently that doesn’t sound appealing. 

Archived