Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

Heineken right out of the tap in Amsterdam... best.

Any of the swill I could afford in college... worst.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best:

IPA: Dogfish Head 90 or 120 (closely followed by Founders IPA and Good People Mumbai Rye IPA)

Best Stout: Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti

Best Brown Ale: Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Best Wheat: Avery White Rascal

Best High Grav: Great Divide Belgian Titan IPA

Best "American" Style cheap beer: Yuengling

Best "go to" beer in a bar with little selection: Yuengling

Best Overall: Best beer for my buck has been the Good People Mumbai Rye on cask

One of my regular customers has a nephew out in California and he had this shipped to him here in Chattanooga. Customer sold me a bottle, and it's probably the best DIPA I've ever had.

76A3CA1C-64E2-47B8-A2CD-DA99B41622BB-3494-00000557AFC3253B.jpg

Went to Cali to spend xmas with the inlaws. Sister-in-law says "have a beer, there are a few in the fridge". I open. There's like 2 negro modelo and what appears to be a sierra nevada PA six pack on the door, only the beers were covered by a plastic grocery sack. 5 hours of flying had me more begging than choosing so I figured I go for the SNPA. When I look in the bag, I see 3 bottles of Pliny!!! Yeah, its the best DIPA for sure. Apparently the Russian River brewmaster is some kind of Nazi about his beer. He requires such rigorous temperature controls during distribution that it is practically impossible to get them shipped out of state.

• 3 weeks later...

Soooo, I had La Fin Du Monde tonight for the first time. It was really good...at least I think it was...with its +9% alc content. Seriously, it was really tasty, hid the alcohol taste too well.

Unibroue makes some good stuff.

Soooo, I had La Fin Du Monde tonight for the first time. It was really good...at least I think it was...with its +9% alc content. Seriously, it was really tasty, hid the alcohol taste too well.

I was very impressed with this beer. Our little restaurant here is carrying some nice selections...one is 32% ac...

I was very impressed with this beer. Our little restaurant here is carrying some nice selections...one is 32% ac...

Sam Adams Utopias carries an abv in that ballpark.

Brew Dog also makes a couple absurdly high alcohol beers.

I can't imagine that those would be very pleasing to the palate.

Utopias gets good reviews. It also costs around $200+.

It's resealable, not really meant to be consumed in great quantities.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/25759

Utopias gets good reviews. It also costs around $200+.

It's resealable, not really meant to be consumed in great quantities.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/25759

Cool read. I've always enjoyed beer. I recently quit a two can a day x 15 year tobacco habit. My hope...that beer becomes even more taste detailed. I feel like I've been robbing myself of the true experience all these years...

Alchemist's main beer is Heady Topper. By all accounts I've read, it's nothing short of amazing. I'm dying to try it. I'm about 95% certain they don't distribute outside of Vermont.

Palate Wrecker is mighty fine though.

Recently had a Sour Brune at Portsmouth Brewery. It starts off sour and finishes sweet. Weird, but simply amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a Dunkel and a Naturtrub from Franziskaner Weissbier. Both are from the Spaten Brewery and both were awesome. I don't know how the Germans make their macros better than our micros, but nothing from Spaten has disappointed me.

Spaten Oktoberfest on tap at the Bavarian House in Columbus was the best beer I ever had.

Lost Lake Pilsner from a can was the worst.

Best - St Bernadus ABT. Was boating in the Alp's and just taking in whatever happened along the way, Three of us good ol'boys had rented a car to drive the Autoban, camp, and sight see along the way. We popped into a little family run store, and out with whatever was there. And wham this one jumped out, besides being the most expensive, it was also the least descriptive label. So when in Rome---err Lichtenstein... Omy Omy Omy nothing in a beer bottle was ever the same.

Worst - had a lite beer once (ok - a couple)... although not a fan of hoppy IPA's. Stout's, porter's, ale's, hefeweizen's, dunkel XX(x) are all simply great... just never have bonded with IPA's. And yes- that's near sacrilege for most beer aficionados. Majority of the time these day's it's more likely a basic Yuengling lager in the cooler than something special.

• 2 weeks later...

I live just a few miles from this local brewery: http://www.macandjacks.com/beers.php

They don't bottle their beers (yet) and they don't ship. The only way to get it is to order it in a restaurant or buy it in bulk at the retail store (keg, half keg, gallon or half gallon.) The best beer I've ever tasted is Mac & Jack's African Amber. It's what I always order whenever we go out. If ever any of you are in the Seattle area, I highly recommend you give it a try. You can thank me later(!)

Archived