Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

Pet peeve of mine that I wouldn't have ever had if I didn't work in a beer store: "keg", "pony" and "half" keg.

15.5 gallons=1/2 barrel="the full keg"

7.75 gallons=1/4 barrel="the half keg" or "pony"

5.25 gallons=1/6 barrel= "pony" or "torpedo"

My preference when filling an order is either gallon or barrel size. Other "sizes" only make the order more difficult. I don't expect many folks to know the terminology, however--unless they have a kegerator.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I will be going to Nook Tavern in Huntsville next week. I've heard they have an excellent selection of beers, so I visited www.thenooktavern.com , and it looks to be such a large selection that I can't make up my mind on what I want to drink. Any suggestions from their list? They also have retail, so I will be taking home a couple of six packs.

I will be going to Nook Tavern in Huntsville next week. I've heard they have an excellent selection of beers, so I visited www.thenooktavern.com , and it looks to be such a large selection that I can't make up my mind on what I want to drink. Any suggestions from their list? They also have retail, so I will be taking home a couple of six packs.

:blink: That's an impressive list

A lot of those are seasonals that aren't in season, so I would be wary of the lower alcohol ones.

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA is one of my favorites. Great brew.

Founders Backwoods Bastard is amazing.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus Abt 12 are two of the best beers in the world.

That's just a handful of what I'd drink first. There's a lot of good stuff there.

I've been on a kick lately with Leffe Brune Abbey Ale. Man that's good stuff. If you like Chimay Red or Ommegang Abbey Ale, check this one out. It's darn good and I like paying $9 a sixer rather than $18 for a 4-pack any day of the week.

I don't get it. Why do you try different beers if there is already one you know you like available? I've tried less than a dozen beers when i could have opted for the bullet, in 20+ years of drinking. There is only one i liked maybe half were ok to drink and the rest were nasty.

I don't get it. Why do you try different beers if there is already one you know you like available? I've tried less than a dozen beers when i could have opted for the bullet, in 20+ years of drinking. There is only one i liked maybe half were ok to drink and the rest were nasty.

Because variety is the spice of life! And there are so many great beers out there worth trying. Some of the best I've had were while traveling and trying local brews.

A few of my favorites: Bell's Two-Hearted Ale (Michigan), Bell's Oberon (Michigan), Le Fin Du Monde (French-Canadian), Sweetwater Blue (Atlanta), Fireman's 4 (Austin), Great Lakes Christmas Ale (Cleveland), and Goose Island 312 (Chicago)

Worst beer: Vulcan (Austin) - Sour and overly bitter. Just terrible.

Do you only eat one kind of food for every meal also?

For some people(myself) beer is about more than just catching a buzz.

I've been on a kick lately with Leffe Brune Abbey Ale. Man that's good stuff. If you like Chimay Red or Ommegang Abbey Ale, check this one out. It's darn good and I like paying $9 a sixer rather than $18 for a 4-pack any day of the week.

BTW, technically this one isn't in the same category as the Chimay and Ommegang ones. They are Belgian Dubbels and Leffe Brune is a Belgian Dark Ale, but it reminds me of them.

That's an odd question. You seem to think "beer" is just this generic thing where one is just as good as another or that there's little variety to be had in the category.

I love a great cheeseburger. I don't want a cheeseburger every time I go out to eat. I love pumpkin pie. I don't want it every time I want a dessert.

Certainly I have my favorites that I buy most often, but I love trying out new beers, different kinds of food and so on.

Also, when you say you opted for "the bullet", that tells me you haven't really tried beer. Coors Light is more like beer-scented club soda.

Here's a funny list of cheap American beers, ranked worst to tolerable:

http://deadspin.com/36-cheap-american-beers-ranked-638820035

My favorite comments:

Bud Light Lime: But alas, the alleged lime flavoring in no way resembles people food. Bud Light Lime tastes like green Froot Loops soaked in thigh sweat.

Rolling Rock: Smells like three fat guys in a two-man tent.

This cracked me up...

Keystone separates itself from the rest of the crap pack by augmenting the typical stale/sour flavor profile with notes of brown bananas and green armpits. Keystone is worse than Heineken and murder.

Best cheap beer for me is an Old Style in the bleachers at Wrigley Field. Of course, they charge $6 for it.

312=Chicago area code.

Not even brewed in Chicago anymore. I think it's brewed in a Budweiser(owners of Goose) facility in New York now.

This is disappointing to hear. But it also makes sense as to why I'm starting to find it in Texas now. Used to only find it in the Midwest.

312=Chicago area code.

Not even brewed in Chicago anymore. I think it's brewed in a Budweiser(owners of Goose) facility in New York now.

This is disappointing to hear. But it also makes sense as to why I'm starting to find it in Texas now. Used to only find it in the Midwest.

All of the flagship brews(IPA, Honkers, 312) are now made out of state. As far a I know, their high alcohol beer is still made at the home brewery in Chicago.

Actually going to be up in Chicago next weekend and we are planning to hit up one of the brewpubs(Clybourn location) for some Bourbon County and other tasty offering only available in that area.

Also going to be visiting 3 Floyds in Munster, IN. Really excited about that.

Do you only eat one kind of food for every meal also?

For some people(myself) beer is about more than just catching a buzz.

i seldom find food i dont like. Beers are batting under 500 on my taste buds.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently discovered sour beers and they're actually really good. Extremely tart, but a refreshing change up. You'll probably want to have nice porter or stout on hand to cleanse your palate afterwards.

Here's the ones I've had recently that I'd recommend:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/51741

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/596/41439/

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/596/95383

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/10482

I recently discovered sour beers and they're actually really good. Extremely tart, but a refreshing change up. You'll probably want to have nice porter or stout on hand to cleanse your palate afterwards.

Here's the ones I've had recently that I'd recommend:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/51741

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/596/41439/

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/596/95383

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/10482

New Belgium's La Folie is easily one of the most sour things I've ever tasted. Totally mouth puckering.

Petrus Aged Pale is another sour, yet well balanced beer.

Archived