Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

Back Forty Brewery's Kudzu Porter. Very nice.

I'm quite a fan of their Truck Stop Honey, and Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan.

Truck Stop Honey is my favorite. Their Naked Pig Pale Ale is good too. Glad to see some Alabama microbreweries making some good brew!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had so much good beer lately, I'm kind of at a loss. Most of it was locally brewed stuff. The standouts were Pisgah Pale Ale and Summer Ale and Green Man Brewery ESB in North Carolina. My favorite was Southern Gentlemen by Lazy Magnolia. It was their Southern Pecan beer aged in bourbon barrels...un freakin real good.

Best: Hopageddon Imperial IPA by Napa Smith Brewery OR 60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head.

Worst: The skunked case of Heineken that we bought in Dothan while on the way to the beach in 1985. It was so skunked we could not even funnel it. OR a 6-pack of beer we bought in Nashville in 1986 called "Quitting Time Beer". Neither of us could even finish one beer and we decided their company slogan should be "If you drink Quitting Time Beer then it is time to quit drinking."

I had some Gulden Draak this weekend. An absolutely amazing beer. It starts off with a bit of a grape fruit flavor, but finished tasting like a rum aged in oak barrels.

Lagunitas IPA is really good. Has just enough malt to offset the hops.

Left Hand 400# Monkey is another great IPA.

If you're into stouts Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro is exquisite.

The worst beer I've had lately was lienenkugels summer shandy. I don't know if it tastes like pine sol, but it wasn't good.

I might be the only poster keeping this thread alive, and I might drink too much... but Paulaner Oktoberfest is phenomenal. I had a couple tonight and it might be my new favorite.

Anybody had the Sam Adams Oktoberfest yer? I've seen it in stores but can't bring myself to drop 18 bucks on a 12 pack.

I never had the Sam Oktoberfest so I wouldn't know what to compare it to.

I was a miller lite guy. I only got into crafts after moving to oklahoma.

OK has a low point beer law. You've got to go to a liquor store to get anything over 3.2%. Even buying on a military post the domestics are low alcohol, so i started trying imports and American micros. Overall a good decision.

OK has a low point beer law. You've got to go to a liquor store to get anything over 3.2%. Even buying on a military post the domestics are low alcohol, so i started trying imports and American micros. Overall a good decision.

I thought this was America!

It's relatively the same in Alabama. State enforced, or ABC stores don't sell beer at all.

The only advantage is that as of 2009, package stores are now allowed to carry more local, national, and internationally crafted brews. The drawback is the sometimes the cost.

It's relatively the same in Alabama. State enforced, or ABC stores don't sell beer at all.

The only advantage is that as of 2009, package stores are now allowed to carry more local, national, and internationally crafted brews. The drawback is the sometimes the cost.

Yea but I can buy high gravity or high alcohol beers anywhere I wants without having to go to the ABC!

Archived