Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

2 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

given what I paid for it would not buy again unless it gets a lot cheaper. 

How I feel about most of Evil Twin's beers. 

Looking forward to hearing about your quad-off. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AE8DD487-697B-4EE3-93BA-DB5FC64AB608_zps It's been a little over 1 year since I could get my hands on this beer. Since my first foray, I've had a couple of new beers. This one stands alone. Absolutely perfect. Porter aged in Pappy barrels. Malty, bourbon and maple. Just freaking perfect. Reminds me of Dirty Bastard, but better. Delicious.

*edit* The Pappy barrel aged was last year. This one was aged in Heaven Hill barrels.

On 1/14/2017 at 0:08 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

AE8DD487-697B-4EE3-93BA-DB5FC64AB608_zps It's been a little over 1 year since I could get my hands on this beer. Since my first foray, I've had a couple of new beers. This one stands alone. Absolutely perfect. Porter aged in Pappy barrels. Malty, bourbon and maple. Just freaking perfect. Reminds me of Dirty Bastard, but better. Delicious.

*edit* The Pappy barrel aged was last year. This one was aged in Heaven Hill barrels.

Who brews that? One of the most beautiful labels I've seen. Sounds fantastic. We need more good Baltic porters.

Scofflaw is slaying everything in Atlanta right now. Currently having their Hooligan IPA. Somehow singular in the current tropical fruit bomb IPA market. Their coffee stout is superb, too. Went to the release of their big BA imperial stout yesterday. I've tasted it a couple times now and have enjoyed it, but I'm looking forward to sitting down with a bottle of it.

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Who brews that? One of the most beautiful labels I've seen. Sounds fantastic. We need more good Baltic porters.

Scofflaw is slaying everything in Atlanta right now. Currently having their Hooligan IPA. Somehow singular in the current tropical fruit bomb IPA market. Their coffee stout is superb, too. Went to the release of their big BA imperial stout yesterday. I've tasted it a couple times now and have enjoyed it, but I'm looking forward to sitting down with a bottle of it.

That is one of Great Raft's one off series. I really think it may be my favorite beer. It's hard to pick just one, but dammit.

I will be coming to Atlanta in about a month for a few days on business. I will definitely be hitting the local beer scene. I'll be on the lookout for Scofflaw.

16 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

That is one of Great Raft's one off series. I really think it may be my favorite beer. It's hard to pick just one, but dammit.

I will be coming to Atlanta in about a month for a few days on business. I will definitely be hitting the local beer scene. I'll be on the lookout for Scofflaw.

Nice! I will have lots of opinions to share. It truly won't hurt my feelings when you (smartly) ignore most of them :)

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nice! I will have lots of opinions to share. It truly won't hurt my feelings when you (smartly) ignore most of them :)

Uh, there will be no ignoring of sound beer advice around these parts.

3 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

http://i65.tinypic.com/20zuzr4.jpg

well, this just happens to be delicious!

(pics from my new iPhone will not load properly at all from tinypic no matter how I enter them anymore so sorry for the link...)

20zuzr4.jpg%5B

Looks like an energy drink. 

To insert the photo, click "insert other media" button, and paste the link in the URL box. I was frustrated with it too after the board update. 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

20zuzr4.jpg%5B

Looks like an energy drink. 

To insert the photo, click "insert other media" button, and paste the link in the URL box. I was frustrated with it too after the board update. 

20zuzr4.jpg

lol. Seems to work!  I've tried that before and had issues but it works now. 

Anyways, this beer has that look of Miami Vice in an energy drink. However, it is an extremely tasty sweet citrus smooth pale ale. Picked it up in Destin over the weekend. Bartender practically forced me to try it and now I see why. If you enjoy the sweetness in a Sucks, then this one will make your tastebuds happy.  It's not so sweet that you want it to be less sweet, but somehow just the perfect amount that keeps you coming back for more.  Not very dry and very smooth for a pale ale. Just enough bitterness to balance out the delicious sweet flavor. Decent carbonation. This is more like a sucks done with citrus fruits instead of brown sugar. I'm definitely gonna have to start asking people in Bham to stock this one (from Miami and not sure how far out it has made it yet)

Sounds tasty. Definitely an interesting label, but I suppose a sense of humor and knowing that it comes from South FL makes it make sense.

Is the name of the brewery MIA? I'll tell wifey to look out for it when she heads to Sarasota in a couple weeks. 

Having a SN Tropical Torpedo. Pretty good, I thought it might just be the previous Tropical IPA release repackaged; but I believe it's a new recipe. Definitely tropical and better than the previous recipe, if memory serves. Should be a solid year-round go-to. 

6 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I had my new, local brewery's first IPA last night. Not good. Not good at all. I hope it was a combo of it being their first batch and my taster being off. They won't last long making beer like that.

That's always a disappointment. Having a new local brewery open up and their beer winds up being trash. 

15 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I had my new, local brewery's first IPA last night. Not good. Not good at all. I hope it was a combo of it being their first batch and my taster being off. They won't last long making beer like that.

Was that the WWII fighter squadron-ish themed place? 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Was that the WWII fighter squadron-ish themed place? 

Yes. I talked to a couple of folks last night, and they said that perhaps that first batch was a bit below par. They also said that the brewery is fine tuning it's recipes, so hopefully it was just a bit of a bump in the road. They have had pretty good support and high demand for their product, so that's good. I know their nitro stout has been very well received.

9 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yes. I talked to a couple of folks last night, and they said that perhaps that first batch was a bit below par. They also said that the brewery is fine tuning it's recipes, so hopefully it was just a bit of a bump in the road. They have had pretty good support and high demand for their product, so that's good. I know their nitro stout has been very well received.

Nice that you have an open mind about it. These things do happen and good breweries often screw up early (and, sometimes. later). Hope they get it back on the tracks!

Absolutely! I really really hope they succeed. There is a nice niche in our town that they can fill. The problem(?) for them is that there are two really, really good breweries in the state that are absolutely knocking it out of the park right now. These days, more folks know what good beer tastes like.  Consequently, they also know what ishy beer tastes like. 

If you've bought any SN lately, keep your eyes open. Issued a recall for beer bottled between December 5th and January 13th. Apparently screwed up the bottling process a bit.

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2017/01/sierra_nevada_recalls_bottled.html#incart_river_home

Was in Vegas last week.  If you're there and find your way to Fremont Street, hit up the little brewery right under the Slotzilla Zip-line entrance.  Really good double-chocolate porter.

15 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Having this year's Hopslam. Mighty malty, but better than I remember. Canned one week ago. 

With the proliferation of tropical fruit bombs, I'm looking forward to trying Hopslam this year more than I have in recent years. 

Archived