Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

10 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I never had the older formula, but really like the new one. 

I will add GR to my list on my friends next trip.  Old Mad Joy and Grace and Grit sound really interesting. Thanks for the recs. :cheers:

@Tiger Refuge shared his affinity for OMJ with us awhile back and when I found it in NOLA, I leapt at the opportunity to try. He was not lying. Happy hunting!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funky Buddha was acquired by Constellation. Same company that owns Ballast Point, Corona, Modelo, etc. 

Sure would be nice to see some Last Snow pop up on the shelves. One of my favorites from GABF. 

5 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Funky Buddha was acquired by Constellation. Same company that owns Ballast Point, Corona, Modelo, etc. 

Sure would be nice to see some Last Snow pop up on the shelves. One of my favorites from GABF. 

#anywherebutABI

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

#anywherebutABI

I would've preferred the Oskar Blues conglomerate, but you're correct. 

Constellation also owns Meiomi wines, their Pinot is hugely popular. They also own High West distillery, which I wasn't aware of; and would explain why we haven't had any trouble getting their stuff in lately. 

12 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I would've preferred the Oskar Blues conglomerate, but you're correct. 

Constellation also owns Meiomi wines, their Pinot is hugely popular. They also own High West distillery, which I wasn't aware of; and would explain why we haven't had any trouble getting their stuff in lately. 

Very interesting portfolio...

On 8/12/2017 at 6:37 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

DhJsTwt.jpg

Finally got it to upload.

Looks tasty! Looking forward to that one.

I just can't get my wine buddy into good beer. He hates big ass stouts and wasn't impressed with Serendipity(mo' fo' me). He seems to mostly enjoy berliners and goses and the like. We had a Yazoo rep drop off a 750ml of their current Embrace the Funk sour brown/flanders, and he looked like he was going to die it was "so sour". It was a pretty bomb sour...as good or better than La Folie.

Put a big ass Napa cab in front of him and he'll be all about it. 

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I just can't get my wine buddy into good beer. He hates big ass stouts and wasn't impressed with Serendipity(mo' fo' me). He seems to mostly enjoy berliners and goses and the like. We had a Yazoo rep drop off a 750ml of their current Embrace the Funk sour brown/flanders, and he looked like he was going to die it was "so sour". It was a pretty bomb sour...as good or better than La Folie.

Put a big ass Napa cab in front of him and he'll be all about it. 

Cross-training.

Work him out on the well-aged nebblolo varietals (e.g. a Barolo), and

then introduce a big ass stout.

I LOVE it when this thread branches off.

You guys know a lot more about wine than I do, but 2 random wine thoughts:
1) Anybody ever had a really smokey, funky pinotage? If you like Islay malt scotches and rauchbier, find one and try it. 
2) The Longhorn steak house in Dublin, GA was *awful* last night, but their house cab was shockingly good. 

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Here here, @McLoofus. The family tree of this thread is the best.

I am headed to SE Oregon for a wildfire detail for two weeks. I fly into Reno tomorrow. Hope to score something cool(beer) when I'm in travel status on the way home.

3 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Here here, @McLoofus. The family tree of this thread is the best.

I am headed to SE Oregon for a wildfire detail for two weeks. I fly into Reno tomorrow. Hope to score something cool(beer) when I'm in travel status on the way home.

1) Thought about you earlier while reading about an invasive species of grass in South AL that burns really hot.... to the point that it consumes pine forest even during controlled burns. Not sure where I'm headed with this soooooo...

2) Oregon! Beer everywhere! Prime that liver pump...

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

1) Thought about you earlier while reading about an invasive species of grass in South AL that burns really hot.... to the point that it consumes pine forest even during controlled burns. Not sure where I'm headed with this soooooo...

2) Oregon! Beer everywhere! Prime that liver pump...

1.) Cogon Grass. It's horribly invasive.

2.) Primed and ready...

16 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

1.) Cogon Grass. It's horribly invasive.

2.) Primed and ready...

Nasty stuff. It's gotten a foothold in south half of Ala. and seems to really like longleaf pine lands. Invasive and also very persistent.

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Nasty stuff. It's gotten a foothold in south half of Ala. and seems to really like longleaf pine lands. Invasive and also very persistent.

Yep. Loves fire. Unfortunately, the only control is multiple herbicide treatments. It's very, very persistent in forested areas. It's rhizominous, so it'll hang tight and out compete a lot of stuff.

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yep. Loves fire. Unfortunately, the only control is multiple herbicide treatments. It's very, very persistent in forested areas. It's rhizominous, so it'll hang tight and out compete a lot of stuff.

Yeah, the thing I read was actually a bit concerning. Made it sound like a more destructive kudzu. 

Ummm, beer. Shelton Bros festival this weekend. Cantillon? Ok. Westy 12? Whatever.

I won't be around. :( 

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, the thing I read was actually a bit concerning. Made it sound like a more destructive kudzu. 

Ummm, beer. Shelton Bros festival this weekend. Cantillon? Ok. Westy 12? Whatever.

I won't be around. :( 

Alabama's probably the cheapest state in the Union, but they're spending huge money to protect their pines.

Every eradication method, so far, risks eradicating everything in the area.

2 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Alabama's probably the cheapest state in the Union, but they're spending huge money to protect their pines.

Every eradication method, so far, risks eradicating everything in the area.

I spend a lot of time fighting invasive plants from Asia and South America. It is extremely expensive, labor intensive, and disheartening.

Reno is dry.

I need a beer.

12 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I spend a lot of time fighting invasive plants from Asia and South America. It is extremely expensive, labor intensive, and disheartening.

Reno is dry.

I need a beer.

Damn' sap is just different (sometimes more light-hydrocarbon solvents than water).

As a kid, I found NV the perfect place to shuffle my feet across the carpet and shoot sparks with my fingertips.

Skoal! Every chance you get.

Archived