Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

6 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Wait til you try Weller 107 Antique. 

We got in some more of our Buffalo Trace allotment today. 5 cases of George T Stagg, 4 of Sazerac, 3 William Larue Weller 17(we bought this last year and it’s probably the best bourbon I’ve ever had), and 1 bottle of Eagle Rare 17. Apparently the ER is the “unicorn” this year, something like 1,200 bottles available and the barrels were at 90% evaporation! Still waiting on Pappy and more of the Antique Collection.

Continuing on the bourbon front, we got in another bottle of Whistle Pig Boss Hog that retailed at $350 earlier this year. This time the price went up to $600...and it still sold within 2 hours of putting it on the shelf. Dude that bought it wound up spending $1,200 total on bourbon. Crazy folks with crazy money.

Qw6HfiJ.jpg

We got in our barrel of Four Roses Single Barrel this week also, and it’s fantastic. 35% rye, big spice. 

I found out that my local bottle shop has the 107. I was battling hard today. They had a 10 yo McKenna that I really wanted too. Decent price. Dammit...another new hobby. Any pointers on the bourbon front will be appreciated.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And back to bourbon because I forgot to post it here. Bought this bottle for my dad for his bday on Saturday, and we popped it to celebrate the big win over UGA. 

Great little bourbon out of Chattanooga. Also, it’s a batch #1. 

PaNH7lR.jpg

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I found out that my local bottle shop has the 107. I was battling hard today. They had a 10 yo McKenna that I really wanted too. Decent price. Dammit...another new hobby. Any pointers on the bourbon front will be appreciated.

How much was the 107?

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

How much was the 107?

I’m not sure. It was “in the back”. The Weller I bought was $23. They had a bottle of Stagg for $60. The McKenna 10 was $34. 

This  place is a specialty store. Definitely catering to a “higher end” crowd. It teams up with a fancy steakhouse(Doe’s Eats) here. 

12 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I’m not sure. It was “in the back”. The Weller I bought was $23. They had a bottle of Stagg for $60. The McKenna 10 was $34. 

This  place is a specialty store. Definitely catering to a “higher end” crowd. It teams up with a fancy steakhouse(Doe’s Eats) here. 

Was the Stagg, Stagg Jr or George T Stagg? 

That Weller you bought was normal price. You shouldn’t have to pay more than $35 for 107. And honestly, $28-30 is the typical retail here. We sell it for $32 simply because we can. I think I said that we got our own barrel of it and mostly sold out in less than 24 hours. We put away a couple cases initially—we threw a case out on the shelf last night at one bottle limit and sold all but 2 bottles until this morning  

Owner didn’t want us showing customers where it was, as it was “hidden” in plain sight on a lower corner shelf. However, an AU fan came in and I had to nudge him in the right direction. 

Never had McKenna, and we don’t carry it. 

6 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Was the Stagg, Stagg Jr or George T Stagg? 

That Weller you bought was typical price. You shouldn’t have to pay more than $35 for 107. And honestly, $28-30 is the typical retail here. We sell it for $32 simply because we can. I think I said that we got our own barrel of it and mostly sold out in less than 24 hours. We put away a couple cases initially  we threw a case out on the shelf last night at one bottle limit and sold all but 2 bottles until this morning  

Owner didn’t want us showing customers where it was, as it was “hidden” in plain sight on a lower corner shelf. However, an AU fan came in and I had to nudge him in the right direction. 

Never had McKenna. 

I think the Stagg was George T. I’ll double check tomorrow...probably end up back down there.

If I had to guess, we are as behind in the bourbon market as we are in the beer market. So, I should have limited competition, but limited supply/selection too.

ETA- That Dogfish looks pretty dang tasty.

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I think the Stagg was George T. I’ll double check tomorrow...probably end up back down there.

If I had to guess, we are as behind in the bourbon market as we are in the beer market. So, I should have limited competition, but limited supply/selection too.

If you can get George T Stagg for $60, you should buy it. Stagg Jr. retails for about that much. Stagg Jr. is in a squatty bottle, whereas George T should be in a tall slender bottle. 

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If you can get George T Stagg for $60, you should buy it. Stagg Jr. retails for about that much. Stagg Jr. is in a squatty bottle, whereas George T should be in a tall slender bottle. 

It was a squatty bottle, so I’d have to imagine it was the Stagg Jr. 

I could spend a small fortune in this place.

Anyhow, as far as pointers, you should try Angel’s Envy(retails at around $40). One of my favorites for the money. Port cask finish, so it’s got a nice roundness to it and a bit of sweetness. I personally prefer sweeter bourbons(think Maker’s Mark). 

However, I’m starting to acquire a taste for spicier(not heat) bourbons with a higher rye content(think Knob Creek). Rye right now is really starting to take off, so expect to see more and more of them on the shelves.

There’s a lot of complexity to bourbon that your palate will learn to pick up on. A lot of subtleties. 

3 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

It was a squatty bottle, so I’d have to imagine it was the Stagg Jr. 

I could spend a small fortune in this place.

Probably this then

STAGGjr_0.png

I’ve never had it, but heard good things. $60 is typical retail. 

Do try and see what their price is on 107 Antique. Do not spend more than $40 on it, and really you shouldn’t spend more than $35. 

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Probably this then

STAGGjr_0.png

I’ve never had it, but heard good things. $60 is typical retail. 

Do try and see what their price is on 107 Antique. Do not spend more than $40 on it, and really you shouldn’t spend more than $35. 

That’s it.

Altight, I’m convinced. I’ll pick up that bottle today.

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

And if you drink scotch, specifically Islay, check out Kilchoman Machir Bay. Awesome little bottle. 

I drink Islay malts almost exclusively. I'll even get Black Bottle when I don't feel like spending money. How much is this one you're recommending? Also, thanks for the heads up on the Four Roses. I almost grabbed it yesterday but now I will definitely grab it.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I drink Islay malts almost exclusively. I'll even get Black Bottle when I don't feel like spending money. How much is this one you're recommending? Also, thanks for the heads up on the Four Roses. I almost grabbed it yesterday but now I will definitely grab it.

$60 at our store. We also sampled Smokehead with it side by side, wasn’t too crazy about it.

The Four Roses is our store single barrel. I’m not sure what the rye content is on the regular single barrel. I can, however, send you a bottle of ours if you want—or trade you for some beer. It’s $37.99. 

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

$60 at our store. We also sampled Smokehead with it side by side, wasn’t too crazy about it.

The Four Roses is our store single barrel. I’m not sure what the rye content is on the regular single barrel. I can, however, send you a bottle of ours if you want—or trade you for some beer. It’s $37.99. 

Yeah, I'd be down for that. Let me see if I can find anything cool around here. Savannah gets some decent stuff. And I have Westbrook access.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, I'd be down for that. Let me see if I can find anything cool around here. Savannah gets some decent stuff. And I have Westbrook access.

I forgot you’re in Hilton Head, I was going to request some Tropicalia. 

16 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I forgot you’re in Hilton Head, I was going to request some Tropicalia. 

Headed to Atlanta for bird day. Lemme see what I can do. 

image.jpeg

I recently was up in the New England area, and it seems like blueberry beers are pretty popular up there. This one was my favorite....in fact, this might be my most favorite beer Ive ever had! Just so you know,  Mic ultra lime is my go to beer, bud light lime 2nd, and for 3rd, pretty much any of the boring common light beers, so this one may not excite many of the beer connoisseurs out there. Its basically what you would imagine a budlight blueberry would be like. Ive been trying to order some in,  but apparently it wont ship to SC. Oh well...but if your ever in the New England area, and you like the light beers, keep an eye out for this one!

1 hour ago, SaturdayGT said:

image.jpeg

I recently was up in the New England area, and it seems like blueberry beers are pretty popular up there. This one was my favorite....in fact, this might be my most favorite beer Ive ever had! Just so you know,  Mic ultra lime is my go to beer, bud light lime 2nd, and for 3rd, pretty much any of the boring common light beers, so this one may not excite many of the beer connoisseurs out there. Its basically what you would imagine a budlight blueberry would be like. Ive been trying to order some in,  but apparently it wont ship to SC. Oh well...but if your ever in the New England area, and you like the light beers, keep an eye out for this one!

Try drinking a craft pilsner some time. Much more flavor than any macro light beer, and can be roughly the same amount of alcohol. Unless you’re trying to watch your figure...

Apparently Uinta has a lime pilsner out right now that’s supposed to be pretty decent. 

Archived