2014 5* ILB Tre Williams commits to AU!

Hooverwareagle

Elitor- and how many or what % of the early commits stick?

This is pretty funny ^-^/> .....

I do see where it comes from as it seems like over the last couple years the guys who committed early never stayed committed but really, how the hell could anyone answer this without it being a complete guess?

It was a joke, but also a caution to not be overly excited about any early commitment.... I am all for AU getting great players, but as you know, it's not official for another 50 weeks.

Put a smiley or the sarcasm emotion in the next time my friend. Everyone including me thought you were serious with that crazy question.

Not sure that is possible from an iPad. And I am serious. :)

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just look out for the 4* who becomes a 5* in December from this state who commits early to us. Thats how you spot the turd who got lost. For this reason I hope Tre holds off on his commitment till later on! lol

Just look out for the 4* who becomes a 5* in December from this state who commits early to us. Thats how you spot the turd who got lost. For this reason I hope Tre holds off on his commitment till later on! lol

Myth not based in reality. Players like TJ earned their 5th stars on the field and would be 5 star whether they stuck with Auburn or flipped. Enough with the conspiracy theories in terms of rankings...at least as far as taking those thoughts seriously...and Tre is a 5 * now btw.

I am feeling confident at this point. Wth with CDC on staff I am more optimistic anyway in that region. I think we get two commitments next weekend. One nice 4* kid and a solid 3* kid. Grease the rails to get a little momentum.

I think if anything, the 3-9 record and new staff will give recruits pause who want to see what Malzahn led team looks like on the field. I don't foresee many commits this early if UA, LSU, UGA, UF or similar schools are recruiting them hard along with us.

I expect our team performance will show enough progress this year for us to sign a top 5 class, however.

I think if anything, the 3-9 record and new staff will give recruits pause who want to see what Malzahn led team looks like on the field. I don't foresee many commits this early if UA, LSU, UGA, UF or similar schools are recruiting them hard along with us.

I expect our team performance will show enough progress this year for us to sign a top 5 class, however.

Don't underestimate the power of the HUNH and Gus being the mastermind behing the 2010 national title.

"It's a new day". I don't think last season is going to impact a recruits decision.

Don't underestimate the power of the HUNH and Gus being the mastermind behing the 2010 national title.

And likewise, don't overestimate it either. The best recruiters at other schools will say 2010 was all about Cam and Nick...and that Gus has yet to prove himself at a major school as the head coach. LSU, GA, Bama, and Florida can point to more consistent records of success.

Can we recruit and compete against these schools? Absolutely!

Will lots of recruits, their parents, and HS coaches want to see some of what Gus does on the field first, especially on defense? Again, absolutely.

My point...no one needs to be disappointed if Junior Day bears few or any immediate commitments. Those commitments ultimately matter when the players sign...and Junior Day is just one step of the process.

And likewise, don't overestimate it either. The best recruiters at other schools will say 2010 was all about Cam and Nick...and that Gus has yet to prove himself at a major school as the head coach. LSU, GA, Bama, and Florida can point to more consistent records of success.

Will lots of recruits, their parents, and HS coaches want to see some of what Gus does on the field first, especially on defense? Again, absolutely.

My point...no one needs to be disappointed if Junior Day bears few or any immediate commitments. Those commitments ultimately matter when the players sign...and Junior Day is just one step of the process.

My point was don't be surprised either way.

My point was don't be surprised either way.

Saying not to underestimate Gus and the HUNH was merely reinforcing your original comment about some commits right after Junior Day...it doesn't mean "don't be surprised either way" in any normal interpretation of English (yay, for once I found a semi-practical application of having an English degree) :P

I'm drawing a distinction from what you said, because I don't expect any major Junior Day commits at all from players being recruited aggressively by our peers. And trust me, I'd love to be wrong.

• 1 month later...

@Rebels247 29m

5-star LB Tre' Williams names Top 5 #OleMiss #Bama #UF #Auburn #USC

I believe Mr. Williams would organize the hashtags differently, IMO.

St. Paul's five-star linebacker Tre Williams has narrowed his list of colleges to five - for now.

Williams stressed to AL.com this afternoon that the list could change as the recruiting process continues. For now, though, he lists - in no order - Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida and Southern California as his top five, a rundown he gave to 247 Sports earlier today.

"I picked the five that have shown the most interest in me so far," he said. "It could change. LSU could come in later this summer and really pick it up, and they could move in there. For now, though, these are the schools that are at the top."

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Williams has said for the past few months that he hoped to make his decision public at the 2014 Under Armour All-America Game in St. Petersburg, Fla., in January 2014.

However, he admitted Thursday that waiting that long with the increased pressure of recruiting could be tough.

"That's my plan. That's what I'm going to try to do, but it might be hard," Williams said.

Williams made 123 tackles in leading the Saints to the Class 5A semifinals last year.

He was named to the All-State and All-Region first team and earned a spot on the Alabama Sports Writers Association Super 12 - a list of the best state's best players, regardless of classification or position.

He received an offer from Missouri earlier today and now has nearly 20 scholarship offers. Williams has been offered by every SEC school with the exception of Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Georgia and Arkansas.

He also has ACC offers from Florida State, Miami and Clemson.

Here is what he said Thursday afternoon about his current top five:

Southern Cal - "Tee Martin came all the way from California to Mobile to see me practice one day. That's a long way. That really stood out to me. Also, I talk to him a lot, and we have a good relationship."

Auburn - "I've known coach (Dameyune) Craig a long time. I've had to kind of build some relationships with the new Auburn coaches, like coach (Ellis) Johnson. That might take time, but I think it has been a great start. The staff is not so different from the last staff. They are real friendly - well, outside of football anyway. They are straight-up with me. They tell me the good and the bad, and I like that."

Alabama - "Of course, Nick Saban is more about business than some. He's not the most humorous coach, but he's a great guy, and he is serious about their program and how he runs it. Coach (Kirby) Smart mostly talks to me about the defense. He talks to me about where I would fit into their scheme. I have a good relationship with those guys."

Florida - "I've mostly talked to coach (Will) Muschamp. I was actually supposed to visit tomorrow, but we decided it was best to maybe visit in June where I could see more of the campus and everything. They've shown a lot of interest so far."

Ole Miss - "I just started talking to them a lot recently. I've talked to coach (Chris) Kiffin a lot. We've talked about their school and about all the recruits they have gotten. They think they are going to be really good and say they want me to be a part of that."

Ben Thomas

I think you are right in that assessment. There is going to be caution by some of the recruits who like what they hear, like what they see so far, but want to see what the team looks like during the season before making their move. It's only logical, especially with the top recruits. But, if we have any kind of respectable season, considering how this staff closed the last class on such short notice, I think we could have an epic '14 class.

We REALLY need to sign an All-World LB class. TW and SDH would be an incredible start. If we can't get two very solid LB's in 2014 we are going to need some more JUCO guys or we need to coach up some of the guys we do have. I feel like Cass will be very good as will Cameron Toney. We still need Flowers to show up ready to hurt some folks. We still have Frost who is just too good an athlete not to play so there is a question to be asked if he can't scratch the field this year. We could use Kevin Mouhon from Norcross HS in GA. He is a high 4* and isn't the best player (Lorenzo Carter 5* DE is #2 in nation) on their defense.

I am not so worried about signing an all world LB Class, we still do not know how well the guys that we do have fit the system of having just 2 linebackers in the starting lineup, but would love to have Tre on board

I am not so worried about signing an all world LB Class, we still do not know how well the guys that we do have fit the system of having just 2 linebackers in the starting lineup, but would love to have Tre on board

Granted all world is a strong description. And it is tough to know who might step up with some coaching. We still need exceptional athletes there and going by previous production we are hanging our hopes on Holland and a bunch of question marks. I would feel a whole lot better if we had Tre' and Hamilton on board. We need game changers if we want to compete with the big boys.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, where would you guys say he is leaning? There are so many factors with depth charts, playing time, need a redshirt...etc.

Well, where would you guys say he is leaning? There are so many factors with depth charts, playing time, need a redshirt...etc.

Well this is another one that is TIFWIW but Bana fans are thinking we have the edge here cuz Coach Craig has a great and close relationship with Tre and especially his parents. I personally would feel better if he were going to our A-Day hame instead.

Well this is another one that is TIFWIW but Bana fans are thinking we have the edge here cuz Coach Craig has a great and close relationship with Tre and especially his parents. I personally would feel better if he were going to our A-Day hame instead.

E, do you think the Mullet Bowl will impress him that much?

Archived