Texas Tech beat Iowa State today in the battle of two former AU coaches

benjazz

This is how I judge Coach Tub, other than all of the wins. There were very few games, we went into under him, that I thought we could not win. This may be wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that he had the most wins, in a ten year stretch, than any coach in Auburn's history. If that is mediocre, then I want a bunch of mediocre coaches.

This is how I judge Coach Tub, other than all of the wins. There were very few games, we went into under him, that I thought we could not win. This may be wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that he had the most wins, in a ten year stretch, than any coach in Auburn's history. If that is mediocre, then I want a bunch of mediocre coaches.

I guess we were spoiled. Sometimes you don't know how good you had it til it's gone.

My favorite thing is how people like to pretend like Chizik needed all this time to rebuild an understocked cupboard, but somehow they ignore what Tuberville did with a FAR FAR FAR worse situation. If you think we had a talent or depth deficit when Chizik walked in, the 1999 roster must look like ground zero at Hiroshima. We were a dumpster fire when Tommy walked into the program. You think Tuberville failed to recruit? Terry Bowden's recruiting made Tommy look like some combination of Ed Orgeron, Rodney Garner, and Trooper Taylor.

What'd he do? He retooled the team completely and got us to the SEC title game in Year 2. Given the front line talent on that team, that's almost as impressive as hoisting a crystal ball in 2010 from a coaching perspective. We have folks willing to give Chizik time and ignore the blowouts in 2011 (his third year... I'm one of those people) but some of those same people still hold the 2001 Arkansas game and the 2001 Iron Bowl against Tuberville (in his third year)? How does that make sense?!? If, at the end of this

season, we're the scariest team in the SEC (like we were at the end of the 2002 season), then Gene's doing every bit as good a job as Tuberville.

Tommy had one outlier: 2003. That was the fluke. Otherwise, you see clear progression season on season. We had a bit of sooner-than-expected success in 2000. Took a slight step back in 2001. Grew up in 2002. Hit our potential in 2004 (the best Auburn team in my lifetime). Played great football for two more years. Took a slight step back in 2007 (finished the year on an 8-2 run with the only losses to National Champion LSU and scary as hell UGA). The biggest mistake he made was replacing Borges. We would've been fine, but he tried to transition to the spread, hired the wrong guy, and lost his job. Fair enough. But let's not pretend like he was constantly mediocre or like he couldn't consistently build.

Win totals by season: 5 (would've won more if Leard had been healthy), 9 (more than anyone expected), 7, 9 (while replacing the QB midseason and seeing your starting RB break his ankle midseason), 8 (horrible job), 13, 9 (with a new QB/RB battery and only one conference loss), 11 (which is somehow seen as a bad year), 9, 5 (made a terrible OC hire).

You don't see mediocre there. You see a team that won the West in 2000, could've won in 2002 (missed a chip shot field goal in Gainesville and lost on a last second heave against UGA... either win puts us in Atlanta over Arkansas), won the SEC in 2004, lost a tie break in 2005 (after five missed FGs in Baton Rouge), had a shot in 2006 and 2007 (but for a last second TD in Baton Rouge... I hate that place). We were almost always in the race for the West.

Dang. You have a huge man crush on Tubs. I never said he wasn't a winner just not championship caliber. I think he was good for AU for a time. His time ran out. MOVE ON. Excuses are always there in losses, but a loss is a loss. I bet you think the LSU game was a "moral" victory.

BTW, TTech is also 4th in the nation in passing. Why couldn't he do that at AU? Is all this debate brought on by TTech's first four

lackluster opponents? Really??

2nd most. Just on some very quick research.

Shug had 73 wins from 1966-75

Dye had 89 Wins from 1982 - 1991

Tuberville had 85 wins from 1999-2008

My favorite thing is how people like to pretend like Chizik needed all this time to rebuild an understocked cupboard, but somehow they ignore what Tuberville did with a FAR FAR FAR worse situation. If you think we had a talent or depth deficit when Chizik walked in, the 1999 roster must look like ground zero at Hiroshima. We were a dumpster fire when Tommy walked into the program. You think Tuberville failed to recruit? Terry Bowden's recruiting made Tommy look like some combination of Ed Orgeron, Rodney Garner, and Trooper Taylor.

What'd he do? He retooled the team completely and got us to the SEC title game in Year 2. Given the front line talent on that team, that's almost as impressive as hoisting a crystal ball in 2010 from a coaching perspective. We have folks willing to give Chizik time and ignore the blowouts in 2011 (his third year... I'm one of those people) but some of those same people still hold the 2001 Arkansas game and the 2001 Iron Bowl against Tuberville (in his third year)? How does that make sense?!? If, at the end of this

season, we're the scariest team in the SEC (like we were at the end of the 2002 season), then Gene's doing every bit as good a job as Tuberville.

Tommy had one outlier: 2003. That was the fluke. Otherwise, you see clear progression season on season. We had a bit of sooner-than-expected success in 2000. Took a slight step back in 2001. Grew up in 2002. Hit our potential in 2004 (the best Auburn team in my lifetime). Played great football for two more years. Took a slight step back in 2007 (finished the year on an 8-2 run with the only losses to National Champion LSU and scary as hell UGA). The biggest mistake he made was replacing Borges. We would've been fine, but he tried to transition to the spread, hired the wrong guy, and lost his job. Fair enough. But let's not pretend like he was constantly mediocre or like he couldn't consistently build.

Win totals by season: 5 (would've won more if Leard had been healthy), 9 (more than anyone expected), 7, 9 (while replacing the QB midseason and seeing your starting RB break his ankle midseason), 8 (horrible job), 13, 9 (with a new QB/RB battery and only one conference loss), 11 (which is somehow seen as a bad year), 9, 5 (made a terrible OC hire).

You don't see mediocre there. You see a team that won the West in 2000, could've won in 2002 (missed a chip shot field goal in Gainesville and lost on a last second heave against UGA... either win puts us in Atlanta over Arkansas), won the SEC in 2004, lost a tie break in 2005 (after five missed FGs in Baton Rouge), had a shot in 2006 and 2007 (but for a last second TD in Baton Rouge... I hate that place). We were almost always in the race for the West.

Dang. You have a huge man crush on Tubs. I never said he wasn't a winner just not championship caliber. I think he was good for AU for a time. His time ran out. MOVE ON. Excuses are always there in losses, but a loss is a loss. I bet you think the LSU game was a "moral" victory.

BTW, TTech is also 4th in the nation in passing. Why couldn't he do that at AU? Is all this debate brought on by TTech's first four

Keep in mind what conference Texas Tech plays in now and then. Most Big12 schools can't spell defense.

We are all comparing then and now and the SEC and the Big12.

CTT did fine at auburn, just ask UAT :-)

Who is championship caliber?

CTT was a good coach overall while at AU and we had a very good run under him from 2004-2007. That being said, by 2008, he was tired of AU and AU was tired of him and both parties needed a divorce.

wde

What'd he do? He retooled the team completely and got us to the SEC title game in Year 2. Given the front line talent on that team, that's almost as impressive as hoisting a crystal ball in 2010 from a coaching perspective. We have folks willing to give Chizik time

and ignore the blowouts in 2011 (his third year... I'm one of those people) but some of those same people still hold the 2001 Arkansas game and the 2001 Iron Bowl against Tuberville (in his third year)? How does that make sense?!? If, at the end of this

Tommy had one outlier: 2003. That was the fluke. Otherwise, you see clear progression season on season. We had a bit of sooner-than-expected success in 2000. Took a slight step back in 2001. Grew up in 2002. Hit our potential in 2004 (the best Auburn team in

my lifetime). Played great football for two more years. Took a slight step back in 2007 (finished the year on an 8-2 run with the only losses to National Champion LSU and scary as hell UGA). The biggest mistake he made was replacing Borges. We would've been fine, but he tried to transition to the spread, hired the wrong guy, and lost his job. Fair enough. But let's not pretend like he was

constantly mediocre or like he couldn't consistently build.

Dang. You have a huge man crush on Tubs. I never said he wasn't a winner just not championship caliber. I think he was good for AU for a time. His time ran out. MOVE ON. Excuses are always there in losses, but a loss is a loss. I bet you think the LSU game

was a "moral" victory.

Who is championship caliber?

Not tubs.

Coaches who recruit, develop players, and run a program at a level that results in national championship games. - gthunder

I admire both coaches but they have some very different styles as Hc's. I hate how people get down on tubbs just because we didn't pull top recruiting classes, that wasn't his style, he was gonna find that 2 star in the middle of nowhere and coach them up. He left the team with some great players. My only complaint about him is there was no excuse to not sign some offensive lineman after that large group that were srs when we won the title. I get why it might have been hard to get a top notch ol to commit when you have a pile of freshmen starting but we could have coached up a couple diamond in the rough guys that could have been the age to have helped us after the title year.

As ar as him not getting a championship that team deserved a shot and were cheated if you don't think that the success of the SEC as a whole doesn't have a lot to do what the injustice of that year then you need to stop reading articles about bama. After that year people stopped leaving the sec out. we made a unified push to get our brand recognized and when championship time comes they don't leave out the SEC champ anymore. As far as the national title coach chiz deserves everyones respect and gratitude for a great job. But I don't see why likening one means you don't like the other. I was at auburn when tubbs was and he was a great coach and a great man. I think he was over the drama and needed a change in scenery to care again but I'm very proud of the role he played at Auburn. All and all I think they are both great men and I think chiz will prove to be an excellent coach outside of 2010.

He was robbed of the chance in 2004. That wasn't his fault.

2004 was the result of tubbys inconsistency including the 2003 flop. We go undefeated with a first year oc with essentially the same players as the year before. That's all on tubby.

2004 was the result of tubbys inconsistency including the 2003 flop. We go undefeated with a first year oc with essentially the same players as the year before. That's all on tubby.

Why, yes we did. It's the result of the team being a year older and a year more experienced.

And he had a winning record against Saban (5-4) and a winning record against Meyer (2-0). But he wasn't on their level, eh?

Why, yes we did. It's the result of the team being a year older and a year more experienced.

I'm not sure what you mean. 2003 team had more talent on both sides of the ball than the 2004 team. Tubby orchestrated the BBQ gang promotion that resulted in the 2003 disaster. Borges walks in to a situation were talent is everywhere. Did he need years to implement his offensive system? No. That's what I was trying to say. Nallsminger was tubbys fault.

Franklin probably could have been successful if not for being subverted by the BBQ gang.

he was a great coach but he never was able to win national championship. he was right above mediocre.

I don't know what it is about a board merger that brings the dumb out in people.

Stupid thread after he first few posts. Tubs was great for Auburn and Chiz delivered a National Championship after 50 years of wishful hopes and missed/taken chances.

End of story.

Stupid thread after he first few posts. Tubs was great for Auburn and Chiz delivered a National Championship after 50 years of wishful hopes and missed/taken chances.

End of story.

:thumbsup:

Archived