As a coach...

corchjay

As a coach I think I watch the game with a different view point and I'm telling you what is wrong with our team now. I tried expressing this a couple times prior and was blown off because I haven't coached at the Div I level of football.

With that being said our issues are not technique, it is all on our Strength and Conditioning program. We get bullied in every way on the field. Absolutely destroyed at both lines of scrimmage and it has nothing do with coaching fundamentals and everything to do with not being physically developed from high school. We have Junior defensive lineman that look the same as they did as True Freshmen minus a few pounds of baby fat.

Don't give me the Yox doesn't teach bench press crap. Talk to any walkon and player and uses their own training regime and they will tell you once they get into off season work outs and follow the team workouts their strength numbers go down.

Some of what Yox teaches and instills is great, he's a great guy and makes the guys accountable but his workouts are more suited for a volleyball team or baseball team... Not one where you are trying to smash the other guys face in the ground on the next play. That's why I think Coach Yox should have a position created as Head S&C coach for all sports at Auburn but give each coaching staff their own S&C coach for the individual sports and they report to Yox.

What say you?

Sorry, but history just doesn't support you. Yox has been there 14 years. He's developed plenty of guys. Ben Grubbs, Karlos Dansby, Brandon Mosely to name 3 guys who came in and changed positions and had to bulk up and become more physical. How about Nick Fairly, Mike Blanc, Zac Clayton? All of a sudden he doesn't know how to physically develop a player? I don't buy it at all.

As a coach I think I watch the game with a different view point and I'm telling you what is wrong with our team now. I tried expressing this a couple times prior and was blown off because I haven't coached at the Div I level of football.

With that being said our issues are not technique, it is all on our Strength and Conditioning program. We get bullied in every way on the field. Absolutely destroyed at both lines of scrimmage and it has nothing do with coaching fundamentals and everything to do with not being physically developed from high school. We have Junior defensive lineman that look the same as they did as True Freshmen minus a few pounds of baby fat.

Don't give me the Yox doesn't teach bench press crap. Talk to any walkon and player and uses their own training regime and they will tell you once they get into off season work outs and follow the team workouts their strength numbers go down.

Some of what Yox teaches and instills is great, he's a great guy and makes the guys accountable but his workouts are more suited for a volleyball team or baseball team... Not one where you are trying to smash the other guys face in the ground on the next play.

I say it doesn't hold water. Kevin Yoxall has been at Auburn since 1999 when Tuberville brought him from UCLA. It's not like he's a new coach. Strength and Conditioning was never a problem under Tuberville with the same coach. I doubt seriously Yoxall has forgotten how to instruct the players. I'm calling BS on this theory.

That's why I think Coach Yox should have a position created as Head S&C coach for all sports at Auburn but give each coaching staff their own S&C coach for the individual sports and they report to Yox.

What say you?

A little research would show that he already has that title....

Responsibility: Supervises all strength and conditioning programs for men's and women's athletics.

Check out his profile page here: http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/yoxall_kevin00.html

The one thing that may lend some validity to the fact that some of our players now are not where they need to be physically is that with the exception of Fairly, all the players I mentioned went through a redshirt year where Yox pretty much had them to work with full time whereas guys like Whitaker and Blackson etc. were never redshirted and therefor did not go through that intensive year of 'Yoxercise" That could make some difference, but you would think that would catch up over a couple years of Spring and Summer workouts.

2004ish everyone thought we were "juiced" and had larger players than everyone else. Today, I think we are smaller than most teams we play. Has strength and conditioning evolved? Are we not keeping up? I have one friend who was able to go to a fall practice and a HS coach, he said it looked like the entire team had not touched a weight all summer. I don't know as I'm not into exercise science.

Ok given that he already has the title then who is responsible for the development of our football players in area of Strength. Like I said I've talked to 3 former players personally that have expressed that they lost strength when doing Yoxercise. Plus show me an area we are undersized at? RB is the only position. Everyone says linebacker but our backers are maybe a hair short but in no way are they small. Watch the game, watch the game and not watch the football but watch individuals. They are getting dominated because lack of strength not from lack of leverage. That is one area where our team has improved this year defensively is in the leverage and contain areas.

As bad as I hate to say it we (Auburn) need to try and get a copy of bama's S&C program. Scott Cochran is the highest paid S&C coach in the country for a reason. Look at their guys. Even their QB's bulk up and add muscle without losing anything else. It's amazing the results.

And last night Herbstreit was gushing over South Carolina's guys. Saying what specimen they were and that they looked like an NFL team in warm-ups.

I really agree that this area needs to be addressed at Auburn.

It is possible since CGC has been there, Yox's time has been cut with players or something like that where he is instructed not to do certain things, but someone in his profession surely keeps up with changes in the science.

Some of what Yox teaches and instills is great, he's a great guy and makes the guys accountable but his workouts are more suited for a volleyball team or baseball team... Not one where you are trying to smash the other guys face in the ground on the next play. That's why I think Coach Yox should have a position created as Head S&C coach for all sports at Auburn but give each coaching staff their own S&C coach for the individual sports and they report to Yox.

What say you?

Nick Fairly, Reese Desmukes even as a freshman last year, when we were 8-5. The 2004 team, the 2010 team! I am not a coach, but I am a leader and I teach leadership for a living. Who kept Yox on board when he was hired? Who hired CTR which was a mistake? Who hired CGM that talked CGC into taking CAM that won us the BCS in 2010? With CGM gone, who hired CSL the worst hire in the history of the AU program. (I said one of the worst)

AS Urban Whinner said at Ohio State: "Winning at the college level is all about leadership!" Something we are lacking at the top here at AU!

2004ish everyone thought we were "juiced" and had larger players than everyone else. Today, I think we are smaller than most teams we play. Has strength and conditioning evolved? Are we not keeping up? I have one friend who was able to go to a fall practice and a HS coach, he said it looked like the entire team had not touched a weight all summer. I don't know as I'm not into exercise science.

Also who's to say some individuals on that team weren't "juicing"? I'm not saying anyone was because I do not know. Save for 2004-2006 when have we been dominate at the line of scrimmage? Plus 2004 was much like 2010, any dofus could coach and NFL offense to win. Look at the team and the individuals that were drafted that year plus the 2 years after. Amazing is all I can say. In 2010 Fairley was in his second year at Auburn, he'd spent a year at JC. The entire DL was solid and fairley made the most of playing almost 70-80 snaps a game because we couldn't get off the field defensively.

This is an interesting topic. I am tending to think its been the lack of redshirting and the subsequent devotion to a year of Yoxercise rather than anything else that is going on. Take a look at Greg Robinson. He went through a redshirt Yoxercise year. Do you think he is getting pushed around? I have seen him make some young mistakes, but I've seen no one bull rush him over. Most of Bama's linemen are redshirted and I'm sure go through a similar program. Most of our D linemen did not.

What say you?

I agree with what you say... Unfortunately, you're probably gonna get blasted for your post. Lots of Yox lovers on here.,,

With that being said, if we keep going in the same direction, the whole staff will be gone as well as Yox. No way a new coach would keep him, considering how weak and physically underwhelming our players look.

Again, NFL pro day numbers don't lie... aside from Nick and Cam (both JUCO guys) our pro day numbers the last 4 to 5 years have been down right embarrassing! Yox's program is not getting these guys NFL ready... let alone SEC ready.

This is an interesting topic. I am tending to think its been the lack of redshirting and the subsequent devotion to a year of Yoxercise rather than anything else that is going on. Take a look at Greg Robinson. He went through a redshirt Yoxercise year. Do you think he is getting pushed around? I have seen him make some young mistakes, but I've seen no one bull rush him over. Most of Bama's linemen are redshirted and I'm sure go through a similar program. Most of our D linemen did not.

Fair enough question. Ok instead of looking at it that way, who has he pushed around? Considering most of the DE's he's faced he has outweighed them by 35-50lbs. Who has he turned inside without a guard pulling or a back chipping down on? I bet if we had game film to watch I assure you the bull rush moments would out number the turning a guy inside on the corner and the biggest problem there for the team is that he is our best lineman on the squad.

As bad as I hate to say it we (Auburn) need to try and get a copy of bama's S&C program. Scott Cochran is the highest paid S&C coach in the country for a reason. Look at their guys. Even their QB's bulk up and add muscle without losing anything else. It's amazing the results.

And last night Herbstreit was gushing over South Carolina's guys. Saying what specimen they were and that they looked like an NFL team in warm-ups.

I really agree that this area needs to be addressed at Auburn.

I agree 1,000 percent!!! Scott Cochran acts like a crazed 12 year old... but he's doing something right. If I were Yox, I would mirror his program. He gets results.

Fair enough question. Ok instead of looking at it that way, who has he pushed around? Considering most of the DE's he's faced he has outweighed them by 35-50lbs. Who has he turned inside without a guard pulling or a back chipping down on? I bet if we had game film to watch I assure you the bull rush moments would out number the turning a guy inside on the corner and the biggest problem there for the team is that he is our best lineman on the squad.

He did ok against LSU's ends who aren't small. Pushed one of them almost in the stands on one play. Did the same thing with a guy from Clemson. I'm not a coach and I don't pretend to know technique and all, but this is his first year playing in the SEC and I'm sure he is still understanding the techniques and all plus he can still develop more physically as he goes along. The one guy that I notice seeming to get pushed around a lot on offense is Dismukes. Maybe he blocked differently in the spread or something, but Frazier seems to always need to step around him when he scrambles.

I am not going to blast you but I completely disagree with Yox being part of the problem. He has turned out too many players that have gone on to the NFL. When they got here, Yox developed strength, muscle, and endurance. I do wonder about our d linemen, I will give you that. As far as the offensive line, Miller was whipped routinely and Dismukes made two bad block schemes that caused two sacks. The other lineman did a great job. Does anyone know why Miller has replaced Avery Young?

What say you?

I was coming to post the exact same thing. I agree 100%

I am not going to blast you but I completely disagree with Yox being part of the problem. He has turned out too many players that have gone on to the NFL. When they got here, Yox developed strength, muscle, and endurance. I do wonder about our d linemen, I will give you that. As far as the offensive line, Miller was whipped routinely and Dismukes made two bad block schemes that caused two sacks. The other lineman did a great job. Does anyone know why Miller has replaced Avery Young?

Someone on this board said that they sat next to Young's parents at the LSU game and his dad said he had aggravated an old high school shoulder injury. Dad said he wanted to play but the staff felt like a 100 percent Miller was better than a 90 percent Young. CGC said today that he was "banged up a little" verifying that he did have some sort of injury.

Why do former players currently in the nfl come back to Yoxercise in the offseason if it is ineffective?

I personally believe, with no supporting evidence, that we practice soft, and that is the reason we play without aggression, urgency, or a dominating attitude.

apparently some have a very hard time placing the blame where it belongs. its not a sin to blame the 2nd highest paid public employee in the state of Alabama for not doing his job. the head coach is to blame.

What say you?

I agree, but this has turned into a weekly topic which goes no where. Truth is I believe CGC has instilled a drug program that is a little too strict. From news reports AU has the strictest testing policy in the country. I know I'm about to get bashed. HGH, steroids, and other PEDs are apart of the sport now. And every sport for that matter. It saved baseball. Has anyone thought why is bama having so many knee injuries. Those drugs when used a lot are brutal on ligaments and joints. I'm not saying saying CGC should flat out allow it but maybe turn a blind eye and let the players get stronger. I'm sure tubbs did it. Ive been around PEDs for a long time and I think almost every team I see is using. I swear Yeldon looks like a different person from when came out of high school. He didn't have enough time to get that big naturally.

BTW, I know CGC will never allow this at AU.

I don't know if Auburn has a nutritionist on staff or not but one is needed to help these athletes gain weight the right way and keep them in top physical shape. Training table is key just as much as Yoxercise. I wouldn't want our guys juicing...that is just bad long term.

What say you?

I agree, but this has turned into a weekly topic which goes no where. Truth is I believe CGC has instilled a drug program that is a little too strict. From news reports AU has the strictest testing policy in the country. I know I'm about to get bashed. HGH, steroids, and other PEDs are apart of the sport now. And every sport for that matter. It saved baseball. Has anyone thought why is bama having so many knee injuries. Those drugs when used a lot are brutal on ligaments and joints. I'm not saying saying CGC should flat out allow it but maybe turn a blind eye and let the players get stronger. I'm sure tubbs did it. Ive been around PEDs for a long time and I think almost every team I see is using. I swear Yeldon looks like a different person from when came out of high school. He didn't have enough time to get that big naturally.

BTW, I know CGC will never allow this at AU.

You have got to be kidding me. You actually believe PED's are an acceptable form of training? That's probably the most asinine thing I've seen here in a while. I'll be waiting for proof from you that Tuberville allowed it since you are so sure. I'll also wait to see this alleged report about the drug policy that you mentioned. Since you mentioned it, it shouldn't be that hard to produce it. Hopefully it is true and we do have a very strict drug testing policy. I would still like to see the proof though.

I don't know if Auburn has a nutritionist on staff or not but one is needed to help these athletes gain weight the right way and keep them in top physical shape. Training table is key just as much as Yoxercise. I wouldn't want our guys juicing...that is just bad long term.

I'm sure AU has a nutritionist if they dont they are way behind. Good nutrition has a lot to do with bulking and other types of physical development, but if other teams are using our boys will never be able to compete every week. I don't like drug use either and I'm by no means condoning it. Sometimes it just seems to me that is where CFB is now.

Archived