As a coach...

corchjay

As a coach I think I watch the game with a different view point and I'm telling you what is wrong with our team now. I tried expressing this a couple times prior and was blown off because I haven't coached at the Div I level of football.

With that being said our issues are not technique, it is all on our Strength and Conditioning program. We get bullied in every way on the field. Absolutely destroyed at both lines of scrimmage and it has nothing do with coaching fundamentals and everything to do with not being physically developed from high school. We have Junior defensive lineman that look the same as they did as True Freshmen minus a few pounds of baby fat.

Don't give me the Yox doesn't teach bench press crap. Talk to any walkon and player and uses their own training regime and they will tell you once they get into off season work outs and follow the team workouts their strength numbers go down.

Some of what Yox teaches and instills is great, he's a great guy and makes the guys accountable but his workouts are more suited for a volleyball team or baseball team... Not one where you are trying to smash the other guys face in the ground on the next play. That's why I think Coach Yox should have a position created as Head S&C coach for all sports at Auburn but give each coaching staff their own S&C coach for the individual sports and they report to Yox.

What say you?

I agree, but this has turned into a weekly topic which goes no where. Truth is I believe CGC has instilled a drug program that is a little too strict. From news reports AU has the strictest testing policy in the country. I know I'm about to get bashed. HGH, steroids, and other PEDs are apart of the sport now. And every sport for that matter. It saved baseball. Has anyone thought why is bama having so many knee injuries. Those drugs when used a lot are brutal on ligaments and joints. I'm not saying saying CGC should flat out allow it but maybe turn a blind eye and let the players get stronger. I'm sure tubbs did it. Ive been around PEDs for a long time and I think almost every team I see is using. I swear Yeldon looks like a different person from when came out of high school. He didn't have enough time to get that big naturally.

BTW, I know CGC will never allow this at AU.

You have got to be kidding me. You actually believe PED's are an acceptable form of training? That's probably the most asinine thing I've seen here in a while. I'll be waiting for proof from you that Tuberville allowed it since you are so sure. I'll also wait to see this alleged report about the drug policy that you mentioned. Since you mentioned it, it shouldn't be that hard to produce it. Hopefully it is true and we do have a very strict drug testing policy. I would still like to see the proof though.

You can call me asinine all you want but if you truly believe drugs are not being used in college programs "behind coaches backs" then you are the dumb one. I'll keep my opinion and you can stay naive in your little innocent world.

I don't know if Auburn has a nutritionist on staff or not but one is needed to help these athletes gain weight the right way and keep them in top physical shape. Training table is key just as much as Yoxercise. I wouldn't want our guys juicing...that is just bad long term.

As of 2010, Auburn did not have any Nutritionist that worked with the team. As a graduate from Auburn in Exercise Science, Yox seems to be doing all the right things. I haven't witnessed any workouts but from what I've heard about them, they are spot on with what we need to be focusing on. And as a personal trainer over the years, I know how difficult it is to obtain his certifications and to keep them up. Our problem is not Yox. I don't know what it is...soft practices, bad coaching, no leadership, or all/none of the above. All I know is things are getting more out in the open and we're starting to see more and more issues with the team. Very frustrating

As a coach I think I watch the game with a different view point and I'm telling you what is wrong with our team now. I tried expressing this a couple times prior and was blown off because I haven't coached at the Div I level of football.

With that being said our issues are not technique, it is all on our Strength and Conditioning program. We get bullied in every way on the field. Absolutely destroyed at both lines of scrimmage and it has nothing do with coaching fundamentals and everything to do with not being physically developed from high school. We have Junior defensive lineman that look the same as they did as True Freshmen minus a few pounds of baby fat.

Don't give me the Yox doesn't teach bench press crap. Talk to any walkon and player and uses their own training regime and they will tell you once they get into off season work outs and follow the team workouts their strength numbers go down.

Some of what Yox teaches and instills is great, he's a great guy and makes the guys accountable but his workouts are more suited for a volleyball team or baseball team... Not one where you are trying to smash the other guys face in the ground on the next play. That's why I think Coach Yox should have a position created as Head S&C coach for all sports at Auburn but give each coaching staff their own S&C coach for the individual sports and they report to Yox.

What say you?

I agree, but this has turned into a weekly topic which goes no where. Truth is I believe CGC has instilled a drug program that is a little too strict. From news reports AU has the strictest testing policy in the country. I know I'm about to get bashed. HGH, steroids, and other PEDs are apart of the sport now. And every sport for that matter. It saved baseball. Has anyone thought why is bama having so many knee injuries. Those drugs when used a lot are brutal on ligaments and joints. I'm not saying saying CGC should flat out allow it but maybe turn a blind eye and let the players get stronger. I'm sure tubbs did it. Ive been around PEDs for a long time and I think almost every team I see is using. I swear Yeldon looks like a different person from when came out of high school. He didn't have enough time to get that big naturally.

That is the dumbest s*** i have ever read on the internet. Yes, I mean the whole internet. Ever

What say you?

I agree, but this has turned into a weekly topic which goes no where. Truth is I believe CGC has instilled a drug program that is a little too strict. From news reports AU has the strictest testing policy in the country. I know I'm about to get bashed. HGH, steroids, and other PEDs are apart of the sport now. And every sport for that matter. It saved baseball. Has anyone thought why is bama having so

many knee injuries. Those drugs when used a lot are brutal on ligaments and joints. I'm not saying saying CGC should flat out allow it but maybe turn a blind eye and let the players get stronger. I'm sure tubbs did it. Ive been around PEDs for a long time and I think almost every team I see is using. I swear Yeldon looks like a different person from when came out of high school. He didn't have enough time to get that big naturally.

That is the dumbest s*** i have ever read on the internet. Yes, I mean the whole internet. Ever

You're living in a bubble if you don't think this happening right before your eyes. I knew I would catch some flak for my post but its real life.

What say you?

I agree, but this has turned into a weekly topic which goes no where. Truth is I believe CGC has instilled a drug program that is a little too strict. From news reports AU has the strictest testing policy in the country. I know I'm about to get bashed. HGH, steroids, and other PEDs are apart of the sport now. And every sport for that matter. It saved baseball. Has anyone thought why is bama having so

many knee injuries. Those drugs when used a lot are brutal on ligaments and joints. I'm not saying saying CGC should flat out allow it but maybe turn a blind eye and let the players get stronger. I'm sure tubbs did it. Ive been around PEDs for a long time and I think almost every team I see is using. I swear Yeldon looks like a different person from when came out of high school. He didn't have enough time to get that big naturally.

You're living in a bubble if you don't think this happening right before your eyes. I knew I would catch some flak for my post but its real life.

im very aware that athletes use PEDs. yes, the dope is rampant in MLB. That doesnt mean i want the school i paid alot of money to get a degree from and have supported my whole damn life to turn a blind eye to kids using dangerous drugs. are you ******* crazy? and no, nick saban does not condone thst s*** either. what the hell is wrong with you

leave Yox alone. He is not to blame.

The man has puke buckets. Yes, puke buckets!

He dont call the plays, S&C is his job. He does it well.

What say you?

You have got to be kidding me. You actually believe PED's are an acceptable form of training? That's probably the most asinine thing I've seen here in a while. I'll be waiting for proof from you that Tuberville allowed it since you are so sure. I'll also wait to see this alleged report about the drug policy that you mentioned. Since you mentioned it, it shouldn't be that hard to produce it. Hopefully it is true and we do have a very strict drug testing policy. I would still like to see the proof though.

You can call me asinine all you want but if you truly believe drugs are not being used in college programs "behind coaches backs" then you are the dumb one. I'll keep my opinion and you can stay naive in your little innocent world.

I didn't call you asinine. I called your idea/thought asinine. There is a difference. Perhaps you should invest in a reading comprehension course. I realize that drugs are out there at some places and i also know that we can never get rid of them completely. But I damn sure don't want our coaches at Auburn turning a blind eye to it and allowing it to happen. That is just stupid. But, I'm still waiting for your proof on Tuberville allowing it, AND the news report about us having the strictest drug testing policies in the country.

I seem to remember when we transitioned from Tuberville to Chizik that Chizik had changed the S&C program a bit, in terms of what exactly they were doing and what exercises Yox would be leading.

I distinctly remember this, and it pains me to see this topic coming up because I thought to myself, after I read about the changes, that I hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the butt...

I seem to remember when we transitioned from Tuberville to Chizik that Chizik had changed the S&C program a bit, in terms of what exactly they were doing and what exercises Yox would be leading.

I distinctly remember this, and it pains me to see this topic coming up because I thought to myself, after I read about the changes, that I hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the butt...

As I recall, Tony Franklin wanted smaller, quicker lineman for his offensive scheme. When the coaching staff changed, that idea was tossed out the window.

What say you?

Any team using PED's should be shut down.

Team did not get pushed around on either line in 2010 and Yox was here, explain that? AU only led the league in rushing offense that year and only yielded one 100 yd rusher all season on defense...so I say again explain Yox's failures in 2010? ....when your oline is full of underclassmen as AU this year there will be some pains...the system in place does not allow for these guys to power out, but instead they slide and attack which allows dlines to blow them up easier....

Team did not get pushed around on either line in 2010 and Yox was here, explain that? AU only led the league in rushing offense that year and only yielded one 100 yd rusher all season on defense...so I say again explain Yox's failures in 2010? ....when your oline is full of underclassmen as AU this year there will be some pains...the system in place does not allow for these guys to power out, but instead they slide and attack which allows dlines to blow them up easier....

close but not quite. There were 2 RB's that went for over 100 against us in 2010. Ellington for Clemson had 140 yards and Jeff Scott at Ole Miss at 134 yards.

close but not quite. There were 2 RB's that went for over 100 against us in 2010. Ellington for Clemson had 140 yards and Jeff Scott at Ole Miss at 134 yards.

But was the line pushed around..no not the least bit, just maybe it was a result of both lines being dominated with upperclassmen who spent more time with Yox than than one season...also the bulk of that for Scott was on one carry...it's not like they ran it down AU's throat ...

What say you?

In 2003 I interviewed with Yox to be a graduate assistant S&C coach with him. At that time his program was solid for the most part. The part that I did not agree with was how much aerobic conditioning that he had the guys do. However, at that time I was wayyy outside the box on my aerobic conditioning ideas. He and I had a long talk about everything, including the aerobic conditioning, and while I agree that he made good points for supporting that idea he still didn't convince me.

The benchpress complaints is simply coming from people that have no idea what they are talking about. For years, many experts have argued against the bench press and instead supported the incline bench. I support the incline press theory, and I'm a former powerlifter that has spent hundreds of hours doing the flat benchpress. The strength gains from performing the flat benchpress simply does not convert over to sports as well as an incline press nor a press (standing military).

It has been over 9 years since I spoke to Yox, and ut also been a long time since I was involved in keeping up with ncaa S&C in general. A lot has changed since then. Based on my discussion with Yox in 2003, he seemed like a coach that stayed on top of the new ideas that continously emerge in the workd of S&C.

I also want to add that I was very impressed with how committed he was at making sure that he kept anabolic steroids out of his program, and away from his athletes at all costs. If an athlete wants to do something like that, then I feel that is a personal decision and a coach should NEVER encourage that type of behavior.

I never talked to him about who was in charge of the athlete's nutrition, but from seeing the size of our players these days THAT is where I think we should be focusing our attention.

What say you?

I thought the problem was with Yox too until the LSU game, then I realized the offense players were playing soft because they knew how Stupid the OC was. As some one else mentioned we need a better nutrition program for our players too, and then I think we'll start seeing much bigger improvements.

That was me mentioning it. My wife decided to get another degree. She is at FSU getting a degree in sports nutrition. FSU has a RD on staff that has done wonders in conjunction with their S&C program. The simplistic things that can be done with nutrition can make drastic changes in energy and strength

Archived