Hockey Anyone?

AUfanLCDR

I have now been to two AU Hockey Club games at Columbus (a loss to GA Tech-first game of year and a victory over Florida State). I didn't know there was a Club/Team until the day of the LSU football game and a table they had set up next to the bookstore. I am NOT a hockey fan nor do I know half the rules but I do know entertainment when I see it. I have been a season ticket holder for AU football for over a decade, attend regular backetball and baseball games and also attend an occasional swimming, track & field and gymnasatic events. I now have several AU Hockey T-Shirts. The last game I attended was with my wife, daughter (AU alumn), son-in-law, daughter-in-law (AU ALumn)and my oldest son. We are now dedicated hockey fans. Part, if not most, of our excitment for hockey is probably our lack of having a decent football team this year. I just wish more people would learn that there are other sports activities other than the "Big Events" and that they can be just as much fun to watch and become part of.

I'm a HUGE hockey fan. I have yet to be able to get to an Auburn game, though I would really like to one day soon. I've been a hockey fan for close to 30 years. I absolutely love it. We have a minor league hockey team here in Pensacola, so I go down to those games whenever I get the chance. Hockey is a blast.

WarTiger - I lived in P'Cola for years after retiring from the Navy. I now live in the Smiths Station/Phenix City, AL area. My house is 30 minutes from the AU campus. The hockey games are played at the Columbus Ice Ring (next to the Columbus Civic Center where the semi-pro Columbus Cottonmouths play). That team plays the Pensacola team. My son-in-law (retired Army) is from the frigid north and knows the rules. He told me that 73 shots on goal was a way to high a number but to me that is excitement. For the AU goalie to keep 35-40 shots not making it to the 3 that did - means he's NHL material to me. My son-in-law is used to college hockey players up in the northern U.S. having Canadian names. That is NOT what you'll see with the AU club. I am hoping to see the SEC finally sanction hockey and to fund them. The SEC teams are considered Divison III teams in hockey (the lowest level). They are supported mainly by the sororities/frats on campus and the few 250+ fans like me at the games. I googled "AU Hockey team" - they do have a site. All the SEC teams are called "clubs". My son-in-law and daughter have just sent in $1,000 to be a booster. I guess that means I'm in.

WarTiger - I lived in P'Cola for years after retiring from the Navy. I now live in the Smiths Station/Phenix City, AL area. My house is 30 minutes from the AU campus. The hockey games are played at the Columbus Ice Ring (next to the Columbus Civic Center where the semi-pro Columbus Cottonmouths play). That team plays the Pensacola team. My son-in-law (retired Army) is from the frigid north and knows the rules. He told me that 73 shots on goal was a way to high a number but to me that is excitement. For the AU goalie to keep 35-40 shots not making it to the 3 that did - means he's NHL material to me. My son-in-law is used to college hockey players up in the northern U.S. having Canadian names. That is NOT what you'll see with the AU club. I am hoping to see the SEC finally sanction hockey and to fund them. The SEC teams are considered Divison III teams in hockey (the lowest level). They are supported mainly by the sororities/frats on campus and the few 250+ fans like me at the games. I googled "AU Hockey team" - they do have a site. All the SEC teams are called "clubs". My son-in-law and daughter have just sent in $1,000 to be a booster. I guess that means I'm in.

Oh, I know full well that Auburn plays their games in Columbus. I've never been there but I've seen some pictures. It looks like a pretty nice facility. I would absolutely LOVE to get there for a game. I'm a HUGE Philadelphia Flyers fan here. Have been as long as I can remember.

I will, however, correct you on one point. Not all SEC teams are "club" teams. Kentucky's hockey team is a Division 2 program and has been for several years. It's the only team in the conference to play at that level. Hopefully that will change soon. As that changes, perhaps the SEC will eventually sanction the sport.

My wife and I heard about the Iron Cup matches in Pelham against Alabama last year. We were not able to attend last year, but we hope to get to it this year. Hockey is very enjoyable to watch and anytime you add SEC teams to the mix it will make for some exciting matchups. I hope these squads continue to expand and play more games.

Went back and looked at pictures I took at the Columbus Ice Ring. Kentucky's banner was not on the wall. Thanks for the info. I assumed (wrong thing to do) that they were all Division III. I'm assuming again that since we played GA Tech and Florida State that they must be Div III ACC teams. My family and I plan on attending all the Columbus (AU 'Home Field/Ring") games.

For more information on the Club these are good websites: http://wp.auburn.edu/hockey/ (Grat overall with schedule included) or http://www.indiegogo.com/Auburn-University-Club-Ice-Hockey (Great for showing the different levels of support).

I really need to make it a point to catch a game. I live in Columbus and normally catch a few Cottonmouth games a year. The last Cottonmouth game that I went to (been a while) had the AU logo in the ice. Looked real good there!!!

I wondered to myself if the Cottonmouths lost any fans because of that. (lots of bama fans around these parts)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I played a tournament with the team this past summer. They are a fairly decent. Although, they still have a long way to go. I know this season is almost over, but next year I encourage anyone who can to make it to some games. If they could get more attendance and money, the program could be one of the better ones in the SEC.

Huge hockey fan as well, played some roller hockey and drove to birmingham every Sunday night to play ice hockey pick up at 10:00 at night. I agree with others, hockey is one of the best games to watch live. I am quite sure there is a difference between club teams and D3 hockey. All of the teams mentioned are club teams and none of them are a part of D3.

I believe Auburn and the whole SEC is D3. Except for Kentucky who is D2. Also, my brother, who plays on the team, leads me to believe they're D3.

I believe Auburn and the whole SEC is D3. Except for Kentucky who is D2. Also, my brother, who plays on the team, leads me to believe they're D3.

The SECHC is division 3, however, there are a few programs Texas A&M, Missouri and Kentucky that have hockey programs but play at the Division 2 level and thus are ineligible to be members of the SECHC since it requires Division 3 status. Here's a brief history of the league:

http://sechchockey.com/

The South Eastern Collegiate Hockey Conference (SECHC) is entering its fifth season in 2012-13 as the representative body of 9 teams participating in Division III of the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA). The 9 teams are non-varsity intercollegiate ice hockey programs at universities that are members of the Southeastern Conference (SEC) in NCAA athletics.

The SECHC grew to 9 members two seasons ago when Auburn joined the conference in its first season of ACHA hockey. Mississippi joined the SECHC the previous season.

Of the 14 SEC teams, 9 currently play in the South region of ACHA Division III. Kentucky, Texas A&M and Missouri all field hockey teams, but currently participate in ACHA Division II, making them ineligible to be in the SECHC which requires Division III status. LSU and Mississippi State are the only teams that do not currently have a program at their schools. It should be noted that Mississippi State is listed at 0-5 in the 2012-2013 standings, so it appears they now have a program, leaving only LSU without a hockey team.

I was in the Auburn Hockey Club 1981-82 and those of us that were hockey club members and lived in the newly opened CDV did our best in the dead of Winter to freeze a third floor outside walkway w/ a running hose to have an ad-hoc hockey practice wearing our skates. It was hilarious and a blast but a couple guys really cracked their noggins. I still have my CCP's somewhere in the attic but Tallahassee's pretty spotty about providing public ice skating and now without a PCL in my right knee my skating days are behind me, eh?

Thank you WarTiger for clearing that up. I do know Miss. State disbanded around Christmas due to discipline reasons. They're a bunch of goons.

I have also heard some of the stories from the 1980's club team. It sounded like y'all had a good time! If you have any funny ones, please PM me. I'd love to hear them!!

Their last four games are to be 1/2 FEB - Miss State and 8/9 FEB Ole Miss at the Columbus, GA Skating Rink. There are no times listed and Google isn't helping. I haven't missed any "Home" games this year. PVille's post above may prove the MS State disband which might explain no games today/tomorrow but you would hope that the auburn.edu/hockey site would say someting. I just thought to call the rink - maybe somebody know something.

I have great Info: Auburn's games against MS State are cancelled. Auburn is playing Ole Miss on 8 and 9 FEB - Both at 8pm. Auburn will now play TN on the 15th at 8pm and at 3pm on the 16th. All these will be at the Columbus Skating Rink.

I have great Info: Auburn's games against MS State are cancelled. Auburn is playing Ole Miss on 8 and 9 FEB - Both at 8pm. Auburn will now play TN on the 15th at 8pm and at 3pm on the 16th. All these will be at the Columbus Skating Rink.

Thank You for going to the trouble of finding this out!! I believe they may make the SEC Tournament which could be some more games.

Thank You for going to the trouble of finding this out!! I believe they may make the SEC Tournament which could be some more games.

The game on the 8th against Ole Miss is Military Appreciation so anyone who has a Military ID can get in for free. When we take on Tennessee on the 15th it is wear your favorite Hockey Jersey night.

I'll be there for all the games this weekend and next. Military Appreication - Great Free instead of $5. Folks, the food is cheaper and more variety there also.l The bathrooms are a WHOLE LOT easier to get in and out of. Maybe one of these days I'll learn the game's rules. No matter what - it is entertaining.

Then again, I haven't missed a home FB game and some away FB games in decades but I really am starting to like this hockey game.

Archived