AU's New Team Leadership

AUcivE09

I think it is beyond obvious that Sammy will contribute. I beleive Dee, Lawson, and Foster will all come in as vocal players. After Sammy's comments a few seniors started speaking up. Do you think Sammy lit a fire under our players that are supposed to be leading? My biggest concern is not the talent of this team, but its leaders holding their head up and pumping up the rest when things get rough. Considering the youth movement we were forced into after 2010 we needed some guys to step into those positions.

Besides Sammy - what other guys do you think could fill this role outside our senior class? I would like to see Mason and especially KF pick it up. Holland needs to give these guys a pick-me-up as well. Holsey?

Any Mods have some good info on who may be finding their niche at AU as an underclassman?

I'm glad Sammie spoke up. If what's going on behind closed doors isn't working, then making a public statement like that will hopefully get some of his teammates fired up.

Maybe Lutz and TBell will mentor some of the younger kids and get them to take on some leadership roles. I definitely agree that Frazier, Mason, etc. would be good candidates, and I'd like to see some of the younger defensive players speaking up as well.

Lead by actions - not by words.

Too many folks are "talking" way too much right now. Just buckled down, focus, and freaking do your job and others will follow suit.

I heard something about Holland that makes sense. What was said is that the younger guys will never consider him a leader no matter how vocal he is because they don't respect his play on the field. When Kris Frost watches Jake Holland getting picked on by the opposing team's offense, he isn't going to respect him. He is going to think, "This guy sucks. I know I'm better than he is. How come he is playing instead of me."

As far as some I think should step up and be a more vocal leader.. Daren Bates, Emory Blake and Lutz. These are seniors who produce, and who's play can be respected by the younger guys. Problem is, they just don't seem to have that kind of personality. It's their time to fill this role. I just wish they had it in them.

Too many folks are "talking" way too much right now. Just buckled down, focus, and freaking do your job and others will follow suit.

Thank you Kees. Talk,talk, talk talk. Plays some da** ball and win games. Be responsible for your assignments and execute.

Quite strength...zzzzzzzzzzzz..how bout hurt everyone.. make the opponent never wanna see u again...get pissed..its friday.. i just drank a monster

mod edit: that kind of stuff won't fly here

The question is "Besides Sammy - what other guys do you think could fill this role outside our senior class?". Please stay on topic.

Thank you aucpe.

AUgradintx - I really cannot bring myself to beleive our team would think that way about Holland - let alone Frost. This is the point in time when leaders are made. Holland has improved as our DT's have been able to keep the center and guards from blocking down on him. Those big uglies are hard to fight off and tackle Ellington or these SEC RB's. If anything Frost should see this as an opportunity and in the process - push Holland. That is what I hope is happening!

Exactly. Bellyaching (especially by an underclassman) is not necessarily synonomous with leadership although if Coates had caught that drop against LSU maybe he has more teammates looking to him as a leader instead of correcting his gripes to the press.

I'm a bit more concerned about leadership now as opposed to what could be. The players I listed should be filling that role.

I do agree that Tre and Kiehl should be among the leaders of this team. But Kiehl's confidence appears to be shot. If you question yourself, how can you lead others? Tre on the other hand is different. He would be in position to lead if the coaches would help him out a little bit. He's proven he can be the feature back for us, but for whatever reason, the coaches are holding him back. This needs to change.

Unfortunately, leaders are born, very rarely made. You have to possess the qualities and traits of a leader inside you. I cannot decide today that I am going to become a great leader. I think that we have a very talented football team. Many of our players were THE MAN on their high school teams. That does not make them leaders. A leader is someone who inspires confidence in everyone they meet. Behind this leader, you feel like you are incapable of losing. Cam Newton had this quality. The team knew that as long as Cam was in the game, we were going to win. I haven't seen anyone capable of this on our team. Lutz is a great player. Mason is a great player. Omac is a great player. Blake is a phenomenal player. None of them seem to be vocal leaders, though. I hope some of the young guys have these qualities, and decide to step up. I hope that Coates is a natural-born leader, and lights fires under everyone with his comments.

Another problem we have is that all of the above seems to be true of our coaching staff, as well. Chizik, Loeffler, Van Gorder, Taylor, Luper...all good/great coaches and recruiters, none seem to be that vocal rock that our players can stand behind. The coach speak from Chizik, whereas all coaches have to use it, has made him look weak and indecisive. Not having a QB 5 weeks into the season is unacceptable. Pick one, and win/lose with that person. Decide what you want to do best, run or pass, and do it. Decide if you want to play hard-nose, smashmouth defense, or zone coverage, and do it. Grow some stones and do it.

Until the coaches start showing some true leadership, the players will continue to be lost on the field. We have it in us to be great, we just need coaches and players to believe in each other, and become great. I hope that happens this weekend!!

War Eagle!

Has Frost shown he can lead? what about wittaker and wright? Both of them were pretty vocal coming to the team.

Has Frost shown he can lead? what about wittaker and wright? Both of them were pretty vocal coming to the team.

I'm not sure Kris is able to become a leader if he never sees the field.

Archived