New Coaches (merged all new coach topics)

joey87

If Jay Jacobs is still the AD in the selection process, the guy at ULM looks like the most logical pick.

1000% no. We are big time program that has $$$$. Make Patterson/holgerson tell you no first, then go after art briles and Charlie strong.

I agree, I don't want him either. I'm just saying, Jay Jacobs is.... Jay Jacobs. I want a knockout hire, not some coach from the Sun Belt.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turner Gill is still available. If we had hired him instead of Chiz think how things would be different now.

Miss State would have won the BCS with their hot young juco QB Cam Newton and Dan Mullens would be the guy on the hot seat now because he could not deliver another BCS two years later.

ESPN would be solidly in our corner and not looking for ways to smear our program and people would love Joe Schad.

And after four years of 3 win seasons Auburn would be in the market for a new coach....which apparently is where some folks think we should be.

But at least we would not have that BCS and all the unfilled dreams and all those 4 and 5* recruits that make so many AU people dream of rubbing their bama neighors's noses in our successes .

Alternative history....ain't it great !

WDE

I can't believe no one has mentioned the best coach in ncaa; Chris Peterson of Boise St. I would love to have him if chizik is let go. I dont want Anything from Updyke U!!!

An absolute dream / homerun hire would be Cowher. This is very far fetched in my opinion. The next level of coaches we could hire where we would see immediate results is Holgerson, Petrino, or Strong. I can't think of any others out there that could come in and turn the program around right away.

Turner Gill is still available. If we had hired him instead of Chiz think how things would be different now.

Miss State would have won the BCS with their hot young juco QB Cam Newton and Dan Mullens would be the guy on the hot seat now because he could not deliver another BCS two years later.

ESPN would be solidly in our corner and not looking for ways to smear our program and people would love Joe Schad.

And after four years of 3 win seasons Auburn would be in the market for a new coach....which apparently is where some folks think we should be.

But at least we would not have that BCS and all the unfilled dreams and all those 4 and 5* recruits that make so many AU people dream of rubbing their bama neighors's noses in our successes .

Alternative history....ain't it great !

WDE

Chizik seat is hot because he has a team that has tons of off the field problems and because he is putting a team on the field that shows no heart, leadership, or direction. He made a terrible OC hire and AU has had three (going on four) historically bad defenses while he was the head coach. I'm not completely convinced he should be fired yet.... But you look pretty silly not understanding why people are unhappy and calling for his job, so I hope I've helped you out with this post.

If Jay Jacobs is still the AD in the selection process, the guy at ULM looks like the most logical pick.

1000% no. We are big time program that has $$$$. Make Patterson/holgerson tell you no first, then go after art briles and Charlie strong.

I agree, I don't want him either. I'm just saying, Jay Jacobs is.... Jay Jacobs. I want a knockout hire, not some coach from the Sun Belt.

No doubt. As long is Jay Jacobs is our AD, we are not going to get an established coach to come to AU. As you posted Jay Jacobs is.......Jay Jacobs and that is AU's biggest problem regarding athletics.

wde

Look, not hiring somebody because they coached at Alabama is pretty narrow-minded. That kind of thinking will not turn this program around in my mind. I cannot see Chizik fixing this thing as much as I might hate it.

Personally, I think Kirby Smart is the best hire. If you can stand it, watch Alabama's defense the last few years. One thing is for sure, those kids are incredibly fundamentally sound. They don't make many mistakes. I hate Alabama as much as anybody and Saban is a complete tool.

Kirby Smart is somebody we need to get in my opinion. He'll recruit quite well. He's shown he gets top athletes and he knows the area already. What's more is that he knows the drivel and lies Saban tells these kids. Smart is the best defensive mind in college football as far as I can tell. I think BVG is also right up there with him. Chavis at LSU obviously is in that same tier. You want somebody to turn this program around immediately I can't see a better name. We have worlds of talent on the Plains already. We need good solid fundamentals. I think we'd get that with Kirby Smart. That's just my opinion.

Look, not hiring somebody because they coached at Alabama is pretty narrow-minded. That kind of thinking will not turn this program around in my mind. I cannot see Chizik fixing this thing as much as I might hate it.

Personally, I think Kirby Smart is the best hire. If you can stand it, watch Alabama's defense the last few years. One thing is for sure, those kids are incredibly fundamentally sound. They don't make many mistakes. I hate Alabama as much as anybody and Saban is a complete tool.

Kirby Smart is somebody we need to get in my opinion. He'll recruit quite well. He's shown he gets top athletes and he knows the area already. What's more is that he knows the drivel and lies Saban tells these kids. Smart is the best defensive mind in college football as far as I can tell. I think BVG is also right up there with him. Chavis at LSU obviously is in that same tier. You want somebody to turn this program around immediately I can't see a better name. We have worlds of talent on the Plains already. We need good solid fundamentals. I think we'd get that with Kirby Smart. That's just my opinion.

Agree 100%

I just do not know if he'd come to Auburn

But prime example would be Saban going to Alabama after coaching at LSU

However i do not think Kirby would help our offense much and that seems like our biggest issue at the moment.

Also for this hire to happen Jay Jacobs would have to be gone, he'd never go for this idea and Pat Dye would throw a fit

Agree 100%

I just do not know if he'd come to Auburn

But prime example would be Saban going to Alabama after coaching at LSU

However i do not think Kirby would help our offense much and that seems like our biggest issue at the moment.

Also for this hire to happen Jay Jacobs would have to be gone, he'd never go for this idea and Pat Dye would throw a fit

If we were willing to pay the money it takes, he'd come to Auburn. Plus, even though Arkansas beat us, we do have more talent waiting on Smart than Arkansas would. Tyler Wilson being gone now makes that place a really challenging prospect.

Yes, Dye would throw a fit and he'd have to get over it. Smart would win ball games. This is a time when Auburn can choose to become a big time force and make that big splash hire. After Smart, we should look at Holgerson. That guy is a great coach and he produces wherever he goes. Briles at Baylor is not a idea either. Any of those three would produce and they would be big time coaches.

Regardless of where the coach comes from, it needs to be a big time hire. None of this trying to pick out a diamond in the rough anymore. No, now it's time to hire the big name whomever that may be at the time. There's always a big name you can go get. You just have to be willing to do what it takes to get him.

The powers that be would never allow Petrino -

K. Smart would never even consider an offer -

and -

ESPN will always hate us.

This program has fallen to a level that I don't think any coach worth his salt wants anything to do with it. It may take a complete house-cleaning to get a big name to take a chance on us.

That includes Kirby Smart, who isn't the saviour some of you are proclaiming. If you think he could take us out of this quagmire any time soon you are as loony as John L. Smith himself.

This is a tough situation and I don't know of a single Auburn fan that foresaw a disaster of this magnitude.

I think everyone is missing one crucial aspect to this situation. NONE of these names I've seen can ever hope to compete with Saban. Either we have to hire a Harbaugh, or Gruden caliber coach, or we just need to wait until Saban retires. Petrino is the only name I've heard that has a shot of being successful against him. And to all of those who don't want Petrino based off of character issues, just look at what we have now. We have more attrition and character issues than any other school in the conference and we're not winning either. If you think that Being a nice boy has a place in the big bad SEC, then good for you. Me on the other hand, I'm tired of Auburn being a laughing stock. We already have character issues but let's at least worry about character issues while wearing our National Championship T's that Petrino might bring us.

How about Gundy from Oklahoma State? Les Miles is an ex Oklahoma State coach and he has turned out pretty well for LSU.....

Pretty solid idea actually...

Archived