steve-o and the gaaaaters

damabama

Wow! I was kinda' looking forward to the old ball coach being back in the mix.

He may still be in the hunt for the Dolphins job.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1915954

ESPN.com news services

GAINESIVLLE, Fla. -- Steve Spurrier won't return to coach the Florida Gators.

The school announced Thursday that he had withdrawn his name from consideration as Ron Zook's replacement.

"When I departed three years ago, there were several reasons why I believed it was time to move on," Spurrier said in a statement. "Other than simply wanting to coach in the NFL someday, I also believed that 12 years at Florida was probably long enough. Many people in football believe that around 10-12 years in the same job is about the maximum time a coach should stay."

Story continues see link

this shocks me.....i just assumed that it was a done deal with the evil genius.....looks like urban meyer is headed to the SEC.....he is a great coach.......he will be hard to beat with all that talent in florida

Interesting.  Very interesting.  Urban Meyer's stock just spiked.

118253[/snapback]

If it turns out to be Meyer, I don't expect him to come in and be the 'do-all, end-all' coach that he is at Utah. They have an explosive offense, but they don't face the competition that whoever comes to UF will face. Out west, they think defense is just something to pass the time until the other team scores and they get the ball back. Different philosophy. Out there, they don't know the phrase 'Win with defense'. Don't get me wrong, he's a good coach and has a good offense. But he doesn't face the same caliber of defenses week in and week out he'll face in the SEC. Just my opinion...........

If it turns out to be Meyer, I don't expect him to come in and be the 'do-all, end-all' coach that he is at Utah.  They have an explosive offense, but they don't face the competition that whoever comes to UF will face. Out west, they think defense is just something to pass the time until the other team scores and they get the ball back.  Different philosophy.  Out there, they don't know the phrase 'Win with defense'.  Don't get me wrong, he's a good coach and has a good offense.  But he doesn't face the same caliber of defenses week in and week out he'll face in the SEC.  Just my opinion...........

118273[/snapback]

A couple of points:

Meyer isn't from out West. He's a Midwesterner (played at Cinncinnati & was an asst coach at Notre Dame.) I understand he has an automatic out in his contract with Univ Utah to allow him to take on the HC job at either Notre Dame, Michigan or Ohio State. The link with UF is that the sitting president was at Utah previously. Meyer is only 40, so in terms of long term prospects at an established program he is exactly what everyone is looking for in a HC. He will be successful where ever he ends up -- even in the SEC.

By no means was I implying he would not be successful. No matter where he is from, he's coaching in the MWC, which, you'll have to agree, is not the SEC. If he comes to UF, he will be successful. He's a good coach (or appears to be), and at UF he will have talent. My point was the MWC is not the SEC. Different philosphy and different caliber of competition.

Radio station in Birmingham is reporting that STEVE SPURRIER has turned downd the opportunity to be the next coach at FLORIDA! :no::no::no:

WOW!

Sorry, I did not see the previous post. :blushbig:

Bear's DEAD!!!!! OMG. What are the bammers gonna do for a football coach? I hear they are looking at a trio of Mikes, one of which is a west coast bar hopping old man, another is a fat bellied pig, and the third has never coached a day in college football. Then they have a former receiver who says he know how to coach. Can't be good to be a bammer these days!!!! I hear Bill Curry is looking into the job. joy!joy!

By no means was I implying he would not be successful.  No matter where he is from, he's coaching in the MWC, which, you'll have to agree, is not the SEC.  If he comes to UF, he will be successful.  He's a good coach (or appears to be), and at UF he will have talent.  My point was the MWC is not the SEC.  Different philosphy and different caliber of competition.

118289[/snapback]

In all fairness, we truly don't know what Meyers would do at a major program but consider the following...

Prior to this season, Urban compiled a 27-8 record.

He did this against .466 competition.

He was 6-6 against teams with 7 wins or more.

So he's 21-2 against teams with 6 wins or less.

Tuberville is 27-1 against teams with 6 wins or less.

His offense has averaged 341 yards per game in those 12 games against teams with at least 7-wins.

Against teams with 7-wins or more, his defense has allowed an average of 386 yards per game and 28 pts.

Once again, no one really knows how well Meyers would do at a major program but he's not a sure thing either. He's 6-6 against teams with 7-wins or more. Auburn is 8-4 in their last 12 games against top ten teams.

I will admit that his chances at success at a progam like UF would be good but I'm not ready to call him an instant success just yet.

Archived