Tuberville wants playoff......

aubb2002

I like the idea of a 4 team playoff. A huge one like the high schools or I-AA do would be too much, and a team would get worn out. Plus, if you add that $$ in there like CTT is suggesting, everyone would benefit from it. I like the idea and wonder how long it will be before the NCAA desides that something has to be done about this year. As much as I want us to be able to play for the MNC and think that we should, it would suck to be OU or USC and get screwed by a system like we have now even though you were a good, undefeated team.

While I respect his point of view, I think he should concentrate on the last three games before he focuses on a playoff game. I'm not worried at all about the National Championship, I'm worried about the last three games and so should our coaches and players.

While I respect his point of view, I think he should concentrate on the last three games before he focuses on a playoff game.  I'm not worried at all about the National Championship, I'm worried about the last three games and so should our coaches and players.

118356[/snapback]

As a HFC, CTT along with every other Major Division 1 coach gives weekly press conferences. Because we are highly ranked this season, he will be asked about his opinion of the MNC picture. I don't see how this will effect his preparation for our upcoming opponents. Other than CTT answering a few questions in the media have you seen or heard anything to indicate that he is not preparing our team properly?

While I respect his point of view, I think he should concentrate on the last three games before he focuses on a playoff game.  I'm not worried at all about the National Championship, I'm worried about the last three games and so should our coaches and players.

118356[/snapback]

The way I read it, the first thing CTT said was "GA on my mind". I don't think he's that stupid to be talking up a NC game and not thinking about UGA, AL and the SECCG. He was probably asked a question concerning the BCS rankings and this is what came out.

But would his idea really stop the problem?

The article clearly says that in this scenario, #4 Cal would play #1 USC, while #2 OU would play #3 Auburn. Fine. We have a final four in football.

The problem is with teams like Wisconsin. They are the "Odd man out" in this scenario. Let's say that the top 5 in the BCS run the table. Is an 11-0 Wisconsin team less deserving than a 10-1 Cal team (and Wisc is ranked ahead of them in both polls, just not with the computers)?

Tub's idea might be a good start, but I don't think it would really take care of the problem. I certainly realize that in the NCAA basketball tourney, certain bubble teams don't make it to the big dance, and that's fine, but we're talking about a team that might have finished with 17, 18 wins, with 11, 12 losses, not a team that ran the table.

Why Cal & not Wisconsin, Utah or Boise State if they end their season unbeaten? The idea of a playoff only works if it's a fair one.

Part of the controversy with the BCS was OU's inclusion last year & Nebraska's inclusion in 2001 when they couldn't even win their own conference. I've been kicking around a playoff format that involves the top 8 conference winners. To me, that should be the #1 criteria for teams selected to compete for the NC in a playoff -- win your own dang conference. Here's how it would go down:

Dec 4 04: Conference Game Championships played. At the conclusion of these games select the top 8 conference winners, seed them 1-8 and let them pair off 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, and 4 vs 5 in the Quarter Finals. For example, let's assume the current conference leaders all win out and end up as conference winners. We have:

ACC -- Miami (11-1)

Big East -- WVU (10-1)

Big 10 -- Wisconsin (11-0)

Big 12 -- OU (12-0)

C-USA -- Louisville (11-1)

MAC -- N. Illinois (10-2)

Mtn West -- Utah (11-0)

Pac 10 -- USC (12-0)

SEC -- AU (12-0)

Sunbelt -- N. Texas (7-4)

WAC -- Boise St (11-0)

The top 8 may look like this (my attempt at seeding them):

1. SC

2. OU

3. AU

4. Wisc

5. Utah

6. Boise St

7. Miami

8. Louisville

Dec 11 04: Quarter-Final Games are to be played at the home stadiums of the top 4 teams. Call it a bonus for getting one of the top 4 seeds. The pairings would match up like this:

A. Louisville @ SC

B. Miami @ OU

C. Boise St @ AU

D. Utah @ Wisconsin

Jan 1 05: Semi-Final Games to be played at BCS Bowls. The 4 winners match up in the two bowl games that straddle the NC title game.

Rose Bowl: A vs D winners

Sugar Bowl: B vs C winners

The 4 losers match up in the 2 remaining BCS Bowl games not in the championship rotation for this year. These teams are still conf winners and deserve to go to a major bowl.

Fiesta Bowl: A vs D losers

5th BCS Bowl to be determined (assume Cotton Bowl): B vs C losers

Jan 8 05: NC Title Game (Played on the 1st Saturday following a full week if NYD falls on some other day than a Saturday.)

Orange Bowl: Winners of Rose & Sugar Bowls

There ya' go: a fair & equitable playoff format that includes all the teams, preserves the present bowl games, and gets us to an NC without relying on season-long polls or computer rankings. A further benefit is no media darling team with a pretty unblemished record (hey to Nebraska & OU) is guaranteed anything beyond a Quarter-Final Game. They have to earn their trip to play for the NC. Also, a further benefit is that a team that survives a tough conference fight and has a couple of losses still has a chance (ex. LSU in 2001 with 9-3 record after winning the SECCG.)

The NCAA is not looking at a playoff because it would be impossible to choose what teams get in. The only exception would be conference champions. Then you'd have to figure in seeds.

The BCS will implement SOS back in so there wont be so many undefeated teams next time. Auburn got screwed this year. Next year USC and OU will have to face a challenge. That way they get nixed out like USC did last year, which was well deserving.

Archived