auburn swimming thread (for everything men and women)

TrumanCrockett

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the men will pull through at SEC championships. I don't think this is the first time they have beat the men in a dual meet and then we went on to beat them in the SEC.

Stanford beat USC (women) 158-137.

Tyler McGill is encouraging people to come out tomorrow morning to see of the teams at Biggio Drive. They are heading to the SEC championship! If anybody is in town for any of the other sporting events feel free to come out and see them!

Edit: They leave at 0930

SEC kick off today. I won't be able to post updates because I will be in class. Go follow @AuburnSwimming for live updates. I'll give an informal recap of their tweets and first day standings after class and meetings today. War eagle and wish them luck!!

After day one (women): Tennessee 185, LSU 151, UGA 151, Mizzou 141, Auburn 132, TAMU 130, UF 126

After day one (men):#Auburn 196, LSU 156, Florida 149, Tennessee 147, Mizzou 146, TAMU 123, SC 107

I have not followed tweets all day. So I don't have a personal recap. If they post one of theirs I will post it on here. Sorry, been busy with classes and meetings.

We didn't get good results in today's prelims, either the men or the women. It takes solid numbers of qualifiers to score points in the evening session and we simply didn't get those numbers this morning.

You can keep up event by event if you wish.

link: http://www.aggieathleticsmedia.com/swimstats/SEC2013/

Just click on the event in the left hand column. New point totals are posted after each finals event.

After Wednesday's events Auburn men in first, leading Florida 417 to 412. UGA in third. AU women are buried deep in seventh place.

Florida men will knock off the Tigers and end the streak at 17 straight. Too much to overcome.

Gator Athletics. The best in the SEC. Puke!

Results after today's events:

1. University of Florida 748 2. Auburn University 630.5

3. Georgia, University of 549 4. Texas A&M University 426.5

Women hanging on to sixth, but over 350 points behind Georgia.

Auburn in 3rd place.....OMG....so when will we see the "Fire JJ" posts ?.

Then again, we all know it's JJ's fault 'cause the guy just couldn't make a clutch dive when we needed it.

Auburn in 3rd place.....OMG....so when will we see the "Fire JJ" posts ?.

Then again, we all know it's JJ's fault 'cause the guy just couldn't make a clutch dive when we needed it.

Read again, Auburn's in second. However, in what was perhaps JJ's biggest blunder, he let David Marsh, the greatest coach in Auburn history regardless of the sport, (10 NCAA Championships) leave over a minor squabble about facilities. Basically, JJ promised some small upgrades and didn't deliver. Since Marsh's departure the amazing run of both men's and women's national championships has dried up and now it looks like even the string of SEC's will be snapped.

JJ should be fired for the Marsh debacle alone, without regard to his other failures.

Mikey - I absolutely agree! I heard Jacobs' twist to the story was that everything had to be Marsh' way. And guess what?! He won 10 National Championships doing it HIS way. Mark Murphy hinted that Marsh may come back to Auburn one day. And reading between the lines, I think that will not hapoen until the day that Jay Jacobs is relieved of his duties as AD.

Standings after Friday's sessions:

1. University of Florida 1038 2. Auburn University 823.5

3. Georgia, University of 679 4. Tennessee, University of, Knox 570.5

Women in 5th, which says a lot more about the state our swimming program has fallen into than the men being second. Check out who is doing the scoring....it's mostly seniors. Next year does not look like a bounceback season, more likely a continuation of the recent decline.

Agreed golf. It is a sad day for an AU sport that can and should dominate every year

Explain please....did I miss the sarcasm ?

Final standings:

Men - Team Rankings - Through Event 41

1. University of Florida 1408 2. Auburn University 1196

3. Georgia, University of 1024 4. Tennessee, University of, Knox 787.5

5. University of Missouri 779.5 6. Louisiana State University 753.5

7. Texas A&M University 709.5 8. University of South Carolina 540.5

9. University of Kentucky 452.5 10. University of Alabama 451

Agreed golf. It is a sad day for an AU sport that can and should dominate every year

Explain please....did I miss the sarcasm ?

No sarcasm. Ours guys did a great job and I am proud of a second place finish. At the time, it looked like we might be battling for 3rd. Looking at the absolute domination over the past 20 years (16 straight SEC titles and numerous NCAA titles and records) I think we were making the point that AU swimming can and should compete for and SEC title every year. Our guys really showed up on the last day and pulled home a solid second place finish. I wa concerned we might finish outside the top 2.

AU sport that can and should dominate every year

Was just curious as to why you thought that AU might have an innate advantage that meant we "should" dominate the SEC every year.

Frankly I think it is amazing that a school with no waterfront and a state with no history of swimming has done what it has over the years under three or four different HCs.

WE

I am with you AU64. It has been amazing what th swimming and diving team has been able to do. My "can and should" came more from the fact that our guys have proven they can get to the top and count themselves among the elite teams in the US, many with realistic Olympic aspirations. We have great talent and continue to get great athletes that work very hard. I think they hold themselves to this standard as well. WE!

Archived