auburn swimming thread (for everything men and women)

TrumanCrockett

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think they have set themselves up for a nice NCAA meet.

The NCAA's are very different than the SEC's. I remember one year when our women didn't win the SEC yet won the NCAA.

The men have some good times but I don't think we have the depth necessary to win the NCAA. A school can have one swimmer win an event and if a rival has three guys finish 3rd, 4th and 5th, the rival gets a lot more points out of that race. There was one year when I was reading a whining article by a U of Texas writer after the NCAA's were over. He screeched about Auburn winning the NCAA meet without having a single swimmer win an individual event. We won that NCAA championship on depth. Lack of depth is why we lost to Florida in the SEC's, although as I said, things are somewhat different at the Big One.

Maybe we can pull it out, we do have some great relay times.

The NCAA's are very different than the SEC's. I remember one year when our women didn't win the SEC yet won the NCAA.

The men have some good times but I don't think we have the depth necessary to win the NCAA. A school can have one swimmer win an event and if a rival has three guys finish 3rd, 4th and 5th, the rival gets a lot more points out of that race. There was one year when I was reading a whining article by a U of Texas writer after the NCAA's were over. He screeched about Auburn winning the NCAA meet without having a single swimmer win an individual event. We won that NCAA championship on depth. Lack of depth is why we lost to Florida in the SEC's, although as I said, things are somewhat different at the Big One.

Thanks for the insight. I wondered how AU stacked up against other conferences coming out of the SEC championships.

• 4 weeks later...

The women's NCAA's start today. Auburn is currently ranked #3 nationally, we'll just have to see how they perform at the NCAA's. UGA and Cal seem to be everybody's favorites to win the meet. We qualified 14 swimmers while UGA qualified 19, so depth will be a problem right off the bat. Depth can be overcome, but it will take a lot of "doing".

Right now, here's the link to keep up with results. If I find a better one after the events start, I'll post it.

link: http://www.ncaa.com/championships/swimming-women/d1

Go gettum Tigers!

Disastrous start: Auburn relay team disqualified for false start in the very first event. No Auburn swimmer finishes in the top eight in today's prelims, in any event.

For a team that was going to have to have a lot of things go their way, this is not good!

Better link to the results: http://www.swmeets.com/Realtime/NCAA/2013/

Standings after day two: UGA first with 300 points, Cal second with 285, Auburn 11th with 70 points. Auburn Junior Olivia Scott did win an individual championship in the 100 Fly.

Well, the women's meet is all over but the shoutin', and there ain't much shoutin' to be heard from the Auburn team.

Final results:

1. Georgia 477 2. California 393

3. Tennessee 325.5 4. Texas A&M 323.5

13 Auburn 87

Men started today with prelims earlier and finals starting about now. Today's prelims indicate the men may do better then the women's disappointing 13th place finish. However, we have only 11 swimmers qualified to enter in the meet and NCAA winning teams usually have 18 to 20 qualified entrants. It's going to take a bunch of shockers for a team with only 11 entrants to win the thing.

1. Michigan 153 2. California 123.5

3. Auburn 112.5 4. Southern Cali 100

As reported by AUGoo above, Auburn 3rd after day one.

Standings after day 2:

1. Michigan 336 2. California 301.5

3. Arizona 234.5 4. Southern Cali 212

5. Florida 196.5 6. Texas 192

7. Stanford 169 8. Auburn 167.5

We simply don't have enough depth to hang in there. Every time we get a guy scoring points in an event, the other contenders have two or three scorers.

Standings after day 2:

1. Michigan 336 2. California 301.5

3. Arizona 234.5 4. Southern Cali 212

5. Florida 196.5 6. Texas 192

7. Stanford 169 8. Auburn 167.5

We simply don't have enough depth to hang in there. Every time we get a guy scoring points in an event, the other contenders have two or three scorers.

Yep...our quality is as good as anyone but just not enough of them. The relay win was quite an accomplishment.

Sad when even our swim teams are doing bad

A nationally ranked swim team is described as ... "doing bad".....some people have lost touch with reality in their eagerness to blame everything on JJ.

Sad when even our swim teams are doing bad

A nationally ranked swim team is described as ... "doing bad".....some people have lost touch with reality in their eagerness to blame everything on JJ.

Since JJ drove David Marsh to leave Auburn, our swimming teams have been slowly declining. Yes, when you've pulled in ten national championships in recent years, a 13th place for the women and somewhere below the top five for the men is "bad". Of all of JJ's blunders, none even compares to him letting Marsh get away over petty squabbles about minor facility improvements. A swimming thread is the last place that someone should try to defend JJ. You'd find more justification for defending JJ in baseball or basketball, even softball than swimming. JJ's fouled swimming up far, far worse than any of those others.

Final results, men:

1. Michigan 480 2. California 406.5

3. Arizona 313.5 4. Southern Cali 289

5. Texas 288 6. Florida 285.5

7. Stanford 282 8. Auburn 226.5

Men 8, women 13. We've fallen a long way in just a few years, baby, and that ain't good!

Archived