Fourth gen ipad

bigsixfive

So... Did anyone else get bitten by Apple? I finally broke down and bought a 3, my first ipad, on Saturday. Tuesday they drop the "2x faster" fourth gen without warning.

Some stores are offering a swap. I bought mine at Target because I had a 5% coupon plus the 5% off for using the red card, so it was a decent deal. However, Target isn't swapping, at least not right now. I'm thinking of taking it to an Apple store and trying.

I'm not thrilled with this maneuver. In an instant they obsoleted expensive devises held typically by loyal customers. The third gen isn't even an option anymore, unlike the second gen, so its resale value will likely suffer as well.

So... Did anyone else get bitten by Apple? I finally broke down and bought a 3, my first ipad, on Saturday. Tuesday they drop the "2x faster" fourth gen without warning.

Some stores are offering a swap. I bought mine at Target because I had a 5% coupon plus the 5% off for using the red card, so it was a decent deal. However, Target isn't swapping, at least not right now. I'm thinking of taking it to an Apple store and trying.

I'm not thrilled with this maneuver. In an instant they obsoleted expensive devises held typically by loyal customers. The third gen isn't even an option anymore, unlike the second gen, so its resale value will likely suffer as well.

This is nothing new for Apple, albeit this was a bit more radical.

I think the aftermarket for iPAD3 is going to be popular with a lot of people especially those that don't have one. You can also get a good deal at 3rd party sites like Gazelle but yes you will be losing money. Why do you need the 4th generation does the 3rd meet your needs? Just because the technology is better that might not be a reason to upgrade. If you plan on playing games you might want to upgrade but if you are going to just use it for everyday stuff like books, streaming, etc I don't see the need to upgrade. 3rd gen will meet the iOS upgardes for the foreseeable future as long as that is the case boom.

I do feel your pain

Check out these top 10 trade in sites (Gazelle is offering $250 for a 16gb Wi-Fi 3rd gen)

http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/29/top-10-places-to-trade-an-ipad-for-cash-or-credit/

If you call Apple, they are allowing people who just bought the iPad 3 to swap it out. Don't bother with Target.

But also, they didn't "obsolete" anything. It was a mild refresh...a little better processor, a little better camera, the new Lightning connector and maybe one or two other minor things. Same storage capacity, same Retina display, runs the same OS version and apps. This stuff happens even more frequently in PC and Android land. They put out new models throughout the year that are minor improvements on the model you bought. This was more or less a move to get all their current models on the same Lightning connector and while they did it they just dropped the same processor in it that the new iPhone got.

The lightning connector would be a nice as we are getting iPhones soon too. The compatability is a plus. They're touting it as 2x faster, and I know I'll never notice the real speed difference, but it's more or less the point. The things cost an arm and a leg, so I want the latest if I'm willing to cough up the cash. And when I did pay up, they make me look like a sucker for paying todays price for yesterdays newspaper. I would have easily waited a few more days.

I know Android devices update constantly, but I don't want one of those. I'm actually returning to the iPhone from a DroidX, which turned into a battery sucking, lagging, piece of junk about 3 months after I bought it. Apple had a general trend of yearly ipad upgrades, so I didn't expect a new one so quick.

Where did you hear that Apple was letting people swap it out? I called Apple Sunday (Apple Apple, not my local Apple store), and they basically told me tough Updyke, especially since I bought it from Target. I'd rather go that route if possible.

Edit: I was aware they let you exchange it if you bought it from the Apple store within 30 days. Based on the conversation I had, they're not taking any ipad recently purchased, just those bought from the Apple store. If you've heard otherwise, I'd appreciate the tip.

That's what I'm planning on doing. I've read mixed reviews on returning them to target. They actually told me they don't accept them if I've downloaded anything or put any personal info in it, but a factory reset will take care of that.

If you call Apple, they are allowing people who just bought the iPad 3 to swap it out. Don't bother with Target.

But also, they didn't "obsolete" anything. It was a mild refresh...a little better processor, a little better camera, the new Lightning connector and maybe one or two other minor things. Same storage capacity, same Retina display, runs the same OS version and apps. This stuff happens even more frequently in PC and Android land. They put out new models throughout the year that are minor improvements on the model you bought. This was more or less a move to get all their current models on the same Lightning connector and while they did it they just dropped the same processor in it that the new iPhone got.

The original iPad 1 is obsolete now. It works for now, but no iOS 6 upgrade and a couple of apps are showing up in the app store that only run with iOS 6. I expect the iPad 2 to be dropped for support by Apple sometime in the next year.

There is a rumor that apple will release another "refresh" version of the iPad in March 2013. With Apple you are probably better off to buy something soon after they release it to get the most support out if it.

If by obsolete you mean it can't handle iOS 6, then yes. But that happened a couple months ago, not with the release go this iPad.

But even then, the first iPad isn't obsolete. It still runs the vast majority of the apps. Unless you just must have Siri or turn by turn stuff on Maps, it still does all the things 99% of people who use it want it for.

Archived