General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will probably get blasted for this, but I am surprised no one has mentioned Jim Tressell.

That's b/c he isn't anything special. They skirted by in a weak conference and got pummeled every time they played a quality SEC opponent.

I will probably get blasted for this, but I am surprised no one has mentioned Jim Tressell.

Good coach. Left OSU under a cloud of NCAA scandal. That's why.

That's b/c he isn't anything special. They skirted by in a weak conference and got pummeled every time they played a quality SEC opponent.

Because they didn't have QUALITY SEC personnel

Because they didn't have QUALITY SEC personnel

..and a quality SEC coach

I'd go to Kirby Smart with $4 million and make him turn it down. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Saban have some gentleman's agreement where Smart wouldn't leave for the AU job. But I'd see if $4 million could change his mind. I know he's not a proven head coach, but he's my No. 1 choice. Bottom line is he's learned from the best in the business. I know Boom, Dooley, Jimbo, etc., have too, and they have had limited to no success, but I'd be willing to take a chance that Smart could get it done — and it would help to weaken a rival even if it's just a little bit.

Charlie Strong would be my No. 2, and a close No. 2 at that. Excellent coach. Excellent recruiter with big-time ties to Florida and Georgia. He would bring a nice alternative personality recruiting against Saban, Boom, Richt, Jimbo ... Strong would be a great choice.

Here's another question. Would you rather have a Offensive or Defensive Head Coach?

I say Offensive Head Coach.

Personally I would love to have Steve Spurrier. You know he wouldn't put up with poor performances and we tell us all what we want to hear, with a lot less coach speak. Also, he would pull a QB in the middle of a series if performance was bad and wouldn't care about the poor kids feeling.

I don't see J. Fisher as a realistic option. I don't care if hes said Auburn is his 'dream job' or not, I just don't see him moving from a FSU program hes building to a tougher job at Auburn in the thick of the SEC.

Al Golden is an interesting option. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a look, He has plenty orf experience and was a good DC. the only problem is that he has had only 2 winning seasons in his 6 years as a coach, and is only 0-1 in bowls. Some could argue that it would be Gene Chizik part II

I just want a clean start with a new AD, new staff, etc. I want a new outlook at AU. Bring in a hard-nosed don't mess with be type of coach.

I don't know who that is though...

Willie Taggart

Jimbo Fisher

Butch Jones

Mark Hudspeth

Al Golden

I like Butch Jones. Followed Brian Kelly at Central Michigan and Cincinnati, and has done as well. Coached WRs under RichRod, so not afraid to open it up. Offensive minded coach, that coaches up players. Cinci shoul've beaten Louisville this past weekend, but lost in overtime on a poor pass that was intercepted in the endzone.

However, we need to start with ridding ourselves of JJ and TJ (Mo and Ron).

Charlie Strong

Jimbo Fisher

I don't see anyway Jimbo Fisher leaves FSU.

I just see Fisher and Strong as not that great. Solid, but not quite at that upper level.

Strong has Louisville undefeated and ranked at #11 in the BCS right now. They've just gotten better and better since he's been there.

Strong is my #1 choice right now. Great defensive coach. Great recruiter - has recruited all over SEC country, and hies lots of ties in Florida. Disciplined coach. I think it would be a great hire. Young guy. Lots of energy and commands respect from his players.

The only reason I can think Fisher would leave FSU is that his wife has strong family ties in the state of Alabama and with the condition of his one son, he may want to get him closer to family. It's not like Tallahassee is that far from Bham, etc. I just don't know why you'd leave a well paying job at a school where it should be relatively easy for you to compete in the ACC every single year.

And for whoever said Tressel, I believe he's got a couple year show-cause over his head right now due to the Ohio St issues. I'm not sure any school wants to try to hire a guy with that hanging over his head right now.

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and mention the dumbest choice that's been mentioned yet :-D There is one coach that I have seen over the last couple years that seems to have the best mind offensively in college football. If he got a good defensive coordinator, he would be just as good offensively as Petrino or for that matter, Gus Malzahn. No, before you even come up with it, he does not have any HC experience. That said, he produces everywhere he goes. Not only that, but he produces huge numbers. He's been around a winner in the NFL. That would be Kliff Kingsbury. Well, you said people who haven't been mentioned much LoL.

Now being more serious, a guy that I haven't seen mentioned at all that kind of surprises me is Josh McDaniels. Not a great stint with Denver, but he seems more suited for the college game.

Archived