General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

Malzahn would be the easy hire. I believe he would come back ASAP assuming we fire JJ and TJ and keep PD on the farm.

Gus is my pick! After-all we now know he won the BCS in 2010! Yes, I do mean as Heach Coach in 2010, it sure wasn't Chiz or Roof running the show!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good names on this thread. I think the first order of business is for Gouge to decide who is going to make this hire. I don't see any top notch HCs coming near AU until the present dysfunction in the Athletic Dept is addressed. Do you ?

Agree and for recruiting and time sake, JJ needs to go before seasons end.

Hire GUS now BEFORE arky beats us to it!

Good names on this thread. I think the first order of business is for Gouge to decide who is going to make this hire. I don't see any top notch HCs coming near AU until the present dysfunction in the Athletic Dept is addressed. Do you ?

I think so too and the sooner the better so we can get this show on the road.

I think so too and the sooner the better so we can get this show on the road.

Exactly, we are going to lose recruits big time if JJ doesn't go soon. Get new AD in place to start coaching search, interviews etc... Choose a new coach so he has time to try and save some of the recruits for this season!

Charlie Strong

Jimbo Fisher

I don't see anyway Jimbo Fisher leaves FSU.

I just see Fisher and Strong as not that great. Solid, but not quite at that upper level.

I agree on Fischer-he's done nothing with FSU and they have all the resources AU has. Strong on the other hand has turned around a program that was slumping bad, much like AU. He has experience in the SEC and is a very good recruiter. He would also make it hard for Afro-Am. athletes in Alabama to go play for saban, (much like adorable Stacy Dash caught flack for backing Romney)

U were doing good until that last sentence...

Jimbo is a good safe hire that could unite the Auburn Family.

I am a member of the AU family...I prefer someone else...see his failures at FSU, loses a gimme game every year

Charlie Strong

Jimbo Fisher

I just see Fisher and Strong as not that great. Solid, but not quite at that upper level.

I agree on Fischer-he's done nothing with FSU and they have all the resources AU has. Strong on the other hand has turned around a program that was slumping bad, much like AU. He has experience in the SEC and is a very good recruiter. He would also make it hard for Afro-Am. athletes in Alabama to go play for saban, (much like adorable Stacy Dash caught flack for backing Romney)

You don't find Stacy Dash adorable? :dunno: Or you want to put your head in the sand and pretend that stuff like that doesn't happen in real life.

Charlie Strong

Jimbo Fisher

You don't find Stacy Dash adorable? :dunno: Or you want to put your head in the sand and pretend that stuff like that doesn't happen in real life.

Stacy Dash is more than adorable, she's damn hot.

However, thinking a black head coach is going to de facto make Auburn the preferred school over Alabama for black players is ridiculous.

If Auburn does hire a new coach, I do not think money should be the issue. Spend whatever is needed to get a great coach. DO NOT GO FOR A BOTTOM FEEDER, OR JUST SOMEONE TO FILL THE POSITION. Several good names have already been mentioned on this tread. Here is a list in no particular order.

1. Kirby Smart - just to make Bammer mad

2. Jimbo Fisher - do not think he would leave

3. Gus Malzahn - would he come back

4. Will Muschamp - someone who has some fire in him

5. Jim Trussel - would the sweater vest go over at AU

6. Lane Kiffin - just to make everyone in the SEC mad

7. Gene Stallings - he has connection for great Assistant coaches

8. Charlie Strong - ????? Proven winner?????

9. Bob Stoops - I think he would love to be in the dominating SEC

10. Mike Stoops - Bob may not want to live OK

JUST A SHORT LIST

Well whoever we hire as HC it needs to be announced early December.... if we drag this out we are screwed.

This is how I feel. Unfortunately it looks like we'll be competing with Arky, Tennessee, and Kentucky for coaches. Not to mention whoever is fired on a national, non SEC level. If Auburn wants to make a splash hire it has to move and move fast.

Unfortunately, that's not Auburn's style, and I'm afraid we'll be left so late in the game that we'll have to settle for another Chizik type hire. That is if we don't go for a Chizik type hire from the very beginning ,which is certainly possible too.

I vote for Chris Petersen from Boise State. I know his name has kind of cooled this year, but his career record is 80-7. He knows offense and every year he's had Boise beating big time schools. He is 7-2 against schools from the Big Six conferences. I don't care who you are playing against, winning 92% of the time is strong. He made Kellen Moore into an All-American at Boise. Imagine what he could do with Wallace or Jeremy Johnson!

They've also had good running backs such as Doug Martin who went in the first round of the draft, and DJ Harper who will get drafted this year. Tre Mason and Mike Blakely would eat in his offense. Receivers like Titus Young and Austin Pettis have made the NFL. Quan Bray, Sammie Coates, Ricardo Louis would go crazy. In a couple of years we will have an experienced O-line. If he can somehow hold on to the defensive guys we have and go out and get an elite DC, we could be back on top very soon.

For the record, I am anti-Petrino. I would rather take a chance and see if Petersen can get it done. He seems to be a good guy and a pretty good recruiter out there in Idaho. If he can get guys with NFL talent to come play at Boise, then I think he can do it here. He'll need to bring in some guys used to recruiting this region, but he'll get it done. He's getting paid 1.7 million this year. Throw 3 million at him and see if he bites.

Greg Roman - No HC exp but what's he's done at Stanfors and now the Niners is hard to argue with

Dirk Koetter - He was the HC that started the Boise St juggernaut, plus if he shaved his head he'd look like Locke from Lost.

Cam Cameron - Granted his record as HC at IU was horrible, but #1 it was Indiana and #2 all he had was Antwan Randle El (whof finshed 5th all time NCAA total yards)

Jack Del Rio - Just looks like an A-Hole

I vote for Chris Petersen from Boise State. I know his name has kind of cooled this year, but his career record is 80-7. He knows offense and every year he's had Boise beating big time schools. He is 7-2 against schools from the Big Six conferences. I don't care who you are playing against, winning 92% of the time is strong. He made Kellen Moore into an All-American at Boise. Imagine what he could do with Wallace or Jeremy Johnson!

They've also had good running backs such as Doug Martin who went in the first round of the draft, and DJ Harper who will get drafted this year. Tre Mason and Mike Blakely would eat in his offense. Receivers like Titus Young and Austin Pettis have made the NFL. Quan Bray, Sammie Coates, Ricardo Louis would go crazy. In a couple of years we will have an experienced O-line. If he can somehow hold on to the defensive guys we have and go out and get an elite DC, we could be back on top very soon.

For the record, I am anti-Petrino. I would rather take a chance and see if Petersen can get it done. He seems to be a good guy and a pretty good recruiter out there in Idaho. If he can get guys with NFL talent to come play at Boise, then I think he can do it here. He'll need to bring in some guys used to recruiting this region, but he'll get it done. He's getting paid 1.7 million this year. Throw 3 million at him and see if he bites.

Petterson has a sick son that he wants to keep at home, and he's not going to leave Boise State no matter how much money Auburn or any other big name school offers him. At least not right now. I'm not saying we don't try, but I'm just saying we'll likely fail if we do try. Everyone else has.

I don't understand how anyone could say Jimbo hasn't done anything with FSU...have yall been watching football for the last 10 years?

Peterson isn't leaving Boise. So absent him, whatcha got?

Here - take you choice

School Conference Head coach First season Offensive coordinator(s) Defensive coordinator(s)

Boston College Eagles ACC Frank Spaziani 2009 Doug Martin Bill McGovern

Clemson Tigers ACC Dabo Swinney 2008 Chad Morris Marion Hobby / Brent Venables

Duke Blue Devils ACC David Cutcliffe 2008 Matt Luke / Kurt Roper Jim Knowles

Florida State Seminoles ACC Jimbo Fisher 2010 James Coley Mark Stoops

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets ACC Paul Johnson 2008 Paul Johnson Charles Kelly }

Maryland Terrapins ACC Randy Edsall 2011 Mike Locksley Brian Stewart

Miami Hurricanes ACC Al Golden 2011 Jedd Fisch Mark D'Onofrio

North Carolina Tar Heels ACC Larry Fedora 2012 Blake Anderson Dan Disch

NC State Wolfpack ACC Tom O'Brien 2007 Dana Bible Mike Archer

Virginia Cavaliers ACC Mike London 2010 Bill Lazor Jim Reid

Virginia Tech Hokies ACC Frank Beamer 1987 Bryan Stinespring Bud Foster

Wake Forest Demon Deacons ACC Jim Grobe 2001 Steed Lobotzke Brian Knorr

Baylor Bears Big 12 Art Briles 2008 Philip Montgomery Phil Bennett

Iowa State Cyclones Big 12 Paul Rhoads 2009 Courtney Messingham Wally Burnham

Kansas Jayhawks Big 12 Charlie Weis 2012 Vacant Dave Campo

Kansas State Wildcats Big 12 Bill Snyder 2009[N 1] Dana Dimel / Del Miller Tom Hayes

Oklahoma Sooners Big 12 Bob Stoops 1999 Josh Heupel / Jay Norvell Mike Stoops

Oklahoma State Cowboys Big 12 Mike Gundy 2005 Todd Monken Bill Young

TCU Horned Frogs Big 12 Gary Patterson 2000 Jarrett Anderson Dick Bumpas

Texas Longhorns Big 12 Mack Brown 1998 Bryan Harsin / Major Applewhite Manny Diaz

Texas Tech Red Raiders Big 12 Tommy Tuberville 2010 Neal Brown Art Kaufman

West Virginia Mountaineers Big 12 Dana Holgorsen 2011 Shannon Dawson Joe DeForest

Cincinnati Bearcats Big East Butch Jones 2010 Mike Bajakian Jon Jancek

Connecticut Huskies Big East Paul Pasqualoni 2011 George DeLeone Don Brown

Louisville Cardinals Big East Charlie Strong 2010 Shawn Watson Vance Bedford

Pittsburgh Panthers Big East Paul Chryst 2012 Joe Rudolph Dave Huxtable

Rutgers Scarlet Knights Big East Kyle Flood 2012 Dave Brock Robb Smith

South Florida Bulls Big East Skip Holtz 2010 Todd Fitch Chris Cosh

Syracuse Orange Big East Doug Marrone 2009 Nathaniel Hackett Scott Shafer

Temple Owls Big East Steve Addazio 2011 Ryan Day / Matt Rhule Chuck Heater

Illinois Fighting Illini Big Ten Tim Beckman 2012 Chris Beatty / Billy Gonzales Tim Banks

Indiana Hoosiers Big Ten Kevin Wilson 2011 Seth Littrell Mike Ekeler / Doug Mallory

Iowa Hawkeyes Big Ten Kirk Ferentz 1999 Greg Davis Phil Parker

Michigan Wolverines Big Ten Brady Hoke 2011 Al Borges Greg Mattison

Michigan State Spartans Big Ten Mark Dantonio 2007 Dan Roushar Pat Narduzzi

Minnesota Golden Gophers Big Ten Jerry Kill 2011 Matt Limegrover Tracy Claeys

Nebraska Cornhuskers Big Ten Bo Pelini 2008 Tim Beck John Papuchis

Northwestern Wildcats Big Ten Pat Fitzgerald 2006 Mick McCall Mike Hankwitz

Ohio State Buckeyes Big Ten Urban Meyer 2012 Tom Herman / Ed Warriner Luke Fickell / Everett Withers

Penn State Nittany Lions Big Ten Bill O'Brien 2012 Vacant Ted Roof

Purdue Boilermakers Big Ten Danny Hope 2009 Gary Nord Tim Tibesar

Wisconsin Badgers Big Ten Bret Bielema 2006 Matt Canada Chris Ash / Charlie Partridge

East Carolina Pirates C-USA Ruffin McNeil 2010 Lincoln Riley Brian Mitchell

Houston Cougars C-USA Tony Levine 2012 Mike Nesbitt Jamie Bryant

Marshall Thundering Herd C-USA Doc Holliday 2010 Bill Legg / Tony Petersen Chris Rippon

Memphis Tigers C-USA Justin Fuente 2012 Darrell Dickey Barry Odom

Rice Owls C-USA David Bailiff 2007 John Regan Craig Naviar

SMU Mustangs C-USA June Jones 2008 Jason Phillips Tom Mason

Southern Miss Golden Eagles C-USA Ellis Johnson 2012 Rickey Bustle Tommy West

Tulane Green Wave C-USA Curtis Johnson 2012 Eric Price Jon Sumrall / Lionel Washington

Tulsa Golden Hurricane C-USA Bill Blankenship 2011 Greg Peterson Brent Guy

UAB Blazers C-USA Garrick McGee 2012 Jeff Brohm Reggie Johnson

UCF Knights C-USA George O'Leary 2004 Charlie Taaffe Jim Fleming

UTEP Miners C-USA Mike Price 2004 Bob Connelly / Aaron Price Andre Patterson

Army Black Knights Independent Rich Ellerson 2009 Ian Shields Payam Saadat / Chris Smeland

BYU Cougars Independent Bronco Mendenhall 2005 Brandon Doman Bronco Mendenhall

Navy Midshipmen Independent Ken Niumatalolo 2007 Ivin Jasper Buddy Green

Notre Dame Fighting Irish Independent Brian Kelly 2010 Chuck Martin Bob Diaco

Akron Zips MAC Terry Bowden 2012 Vacant Chuck Amato

Ball State Cardinals MAC Pete Lembo 2011 Rich Skorsky Jay Bateman

Bowling Green Falcons MAC Dave Clawson 2009 Warren Ruggiero Mike Elko / Shannon Morrison

Buffalo Bulls MAC Jeff Quinn 2010 Alex Wood Lou Tepper

Central Michigan Chippewas MAC Dan Enos 2010 Mike Cummings Joe Tumpkin

Eastern Michigan Eagles MAC Ron English 2009 Ken Karcher Phil Snow

Kent State Golden Flashes MAC Darrell Hazell 2011 Brian Rock Jon Heacock

Massachusetts Minutemen MAC Charley Molnar 2012 Mike Kruczek Phil Elmassian

Miami RedHawks MAC Don Treadwell 2011 John Klacik Jay Peterson

NIU Huskies MAC Dave Doeren 2011 Mike Dunbar Ryan Nielsen / Jay Niemann

Ohio Bobcats MAC Frank Solich 2005 Tim Albin Jimmy Burrow

Toledo Rockets MAC Matt Campbell 2012 Vacant Tom Matukewicz

Western Michigan Broncos MAC Bill Cubit 2005 Bill Cubit / Ryan Cubit Rich Nagy

Air Force Falcons Mountain West Troy Calhoun 2007 Clay Hendrix Steve Russ / Charlton Warren

Boise State Broncos Mountain West Chris Petersen 2006 Robert Prince Pete Kwiatkowski

Colorado State Rams Mountain West Jim McElwain 2012 Dave Baldwin Marty English / Al Simmons

Fresno State Bulldogs Mountain West Tim DeRuyter 2012 Dave Schramm Nick Toth

Hawaiʻi Warriors Mountain West Norm Chow 2012 Tommy Lee Thom Kaumeyer

Nevada Wolf Pack Mountain West Chris Ault 2004[N 2] Nick Rolovich Mike Bradeson

New Mexico Lobos Mountain West Bob Davie 2012 Bob DeBesse Jeff Mills

San Diego State Aztecs Mountain West Rocky Long 2011 Andy Ludwig Rocky Long

UNLV Rebels Mountain West Bobby Hauck 2010 Brent Myers James Williams

Wyoming Cowboys Mountain West Dave Christensen 2009 Gregg Brandon Chris Tormey

Arizona Wildcats Pac-12 Rich Rodriguez 2012 Calvin Magee / Rod Smith Jeff Casteel

Arizona State Sun Devils Pac-12 Todd Graham 2012 Mike Norvell Paul Randolph / Ron West

California Golden Bears Pac-12 Jeff Tedford 2002 Jim Michalczik Clancy Pendergast

Colorado Buffaloes Pac-12 Jon Embree 2011 Eric Bieniemy Greg Brown

Oregon Ducks Pac-12 Chip Kelly 2009 Mark Helfrich Nick Aliotti

Oregon State Beavers Pac-12 Mike Riley 2003 Danny Langsdorf Mark Banker

Stanford Cardinal Pac-12 David Shaw 2011 Pep Hamilton Derek Mason

UCLA Bruins Pac-12 Jim L. Mora 2012 Noel Mazzone Lou Spanos

USC Trojans Pac-12 Lane Kiffin 2010 Kennedy Pola Monte Kiffin

Utah Utes Pac-12 Kyle Whittingham 2005 Brian Johnson Kalani Sitake

Washington Huskies Pac-12 Steve Sarkisian 2009 Eric Kiesau Justin Wilcox

Washington State Cougars Pac-12 Mike Leach 2012 Vacant Mike Breske

Alabama Crimson Tide SEC Nick Saban 2007 Doug Nussmeier Kirby Smart

Arkansas Razorbacks SEC John L. Smith 2012 Paul Petrino Paul Haynes

Auburn Tigers SEC Gene Chizik 2009 Scot Loeffler Brian VanGorder

Florida Gators SEC Will Muschamp 2011 Brent Pease Dan Quinn

Georgia Bulldogs SEC Mark Richt 2001 Mike Bobo Todd Grantham

Kentucky Wildcats SEC Joker Phillips 2010 Randy Sanders Rick Minter

LSU Tigers SEC Les Miles 2005 Greg Studrawa John Chavis

Ole Miss Rebels SEC Hugh Freeze 2012 Matt Luke / Dan Werner Wesley McGriff / Dave Wommack

Mississippi State Bulldogs SEC Dan Mullen 2009 Les Koenning Geoff Collins / Chris Wilson

Missouri Tigers SEC Gary Pinkel 2001 Dave Yost Dave Steckel

Tennessee Volunteers SEC Derek Dooley 2010 Jim Chaney Sal Sunseri

Texas A&M Aggies SEC Kevin Sumlin 2012 Kliff Kingsbury Mark Snyder / Marcel Yates

South Carolina Gamecocks SEC Steve Spurrier 2005 Steve Spurrier Lorenzo Ward

Vanderbilt Commodores SEC James Franklin 2011 John Donovan Bob Shoop

Arkansas State Red Wolves Sun Belt Gus Malzahn 2012 Rhett Lashlee John Thompson

Florida Atlantic Owls Sun Belt Carl Pelini 2012 Brian Wright Pete Rekstis

Florida International Golden Panthers Sun Belt Mario Cristobal 2007 Tim Cramsey Todd Orlando

Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns Sun Belt Mark Hudspeth 2011 Jay Johnson Greg Stewart

Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks Sun Belt Todd Berry 2010 Steve Farmer Troy Reffett

Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders Sun Belt Rick Stockstill 2006 Willie Simmons Steve Ellis / Tyrone Nix

North Texas Mean Green Sun Belt Dan McCarney 2011 Mike Canales John Skladany

South Alabama Jaguars Sun Belt Joey Jones 2009[N 3] Robert Matthews Bill Clark

Troy Trojans Sun Belt Larry Blakeney 1991 Kenny Edenfield Jeremy Rowell

Western Kentucky Hilltoppers Sun Belt Willie Taggart 2010 Vacant Lance Guidry

Idaho Vandals WAC Vacant 2013 Jason Gesser Mark Criner

Louisiana Tech Bulldogs WAC Sonny Dykes 2010 Tony Franklin Tommy Spangler

New Mexico State Aggies WAC DeWayne Walker 2009 Jerry McManus David Elson

San José State Spartans WAC Mike MacIntyre 2010 Tim Landis Kent Baer

Texas State Bobcats WAC Dennis Franchione 2011[N 4] Mike Schultz / Jeff Conway Craig Naivar

Utah State Aggies WAC Gary Andersen 2009 Matt Wells Dave Aranda

UTSA Roadrunners WAC Larry Coker 2011[N 5] Kevin Brown Neal Neathery

[

We first have to get rid of Jay Jacobs and Tim Jackson. After that, we go out and offer 4 million to the best coach / recruiter that's out there.

I don't understand how anyone could say Jimbo hasn't done anything with FSU...have yall been watching football for the last 10 years?

I think many people have an inflated view of how rich and powerful Florida State really is. Jimbo had a rebuilding job to do at FSU and while he has lost to some teams he shouldn't have (what coach hasn't?), hes brought in great recruiting, energized a small, lethargic fanbase, and has consistently won at a level that Bowden was unable to do in his last 5 years at FSU. b

Archived