General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

Here's another question. Would you rather have a Offensive or Defensive Head Coach?

I say Offensive Head Coach.

Personally I would love to have Steve Spurrier. You know he wouldn't put up with poor performances and we tell us all what we want to hear, with a lot less coach speak. Also, he would pull a QB in the middle of a series if performance was bad and wouldn't care about the poor kids feeling.

We know one thing for certain about Steve Spurrier, winning is in his blood. I think he's content in South Carolina though. I doubt money is of that much concern to him, expectations are lower there, and I doubt they'd ever look to fire him. I don't see the same Spurrier at South Carolina that I saw at Florida. For lack of a better way to put it, it looks like he's doing it now more for fun than busting his ass to be in the hunt each year.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Kirby Smart either stays at Bama or reunites with Sunseri at Tennessee, assuming Dooley is fired.

Dooley will be fired, the Vols AD (Dave Heart) is from Alabama and he is pushing for Kirby. The Vols fan base has tunnel vision for Jon Gruden.

My vote for AU next coach is Jimbo Fisher. He as coached at AU before, his wife is an AU grad, he is a good recruiter and he would fit well with the program. IF we hire him it give us an instant boost of excitement and we could retain most of our recruits for the 2013 class and finish out strong. I think that Jimbo is a low risk hire that will produce on the field. And Jimbo has no issues with the NCAA or with players getting in trouble off the field. I would feel better with Jimbo sitting in the head coaching office than Bobby Petrino.

I don't see Jimbo Fisher coming to Auburn. It doesn't matter if he has family connections to AU or not, it makes absolutely no sense to leave a Florida State program he has been rebuilding for a tougher job in the rigors of the SEC. If he's as good as everyone thinks, then he'll win big at Florida State without any issues.

I don't see what motive he would have for leaving FSU.

Charlie Strong

Jimbo Fisher

I don't see anyway Jimbo Fisher leaves FSU.

I just see Fisher and Strong as not that great. Solid, but not quite at that upper level.

That is funny. AU has never hired a coach that has as big a name as Fisher in the past. We most likley will not get him either. I would love for AU to hire a huge name, but it has never happened in the past.

I will probably get blasted for this, but I am surprised no one has mentioned Jim Tressell.

I agree ...when does the NCAA clause fall off him?

I think that Jim is a good coach be he let the players run the show at tOSU and did not step in to fix things. I think we need a stronger willed coach and one that does not have a history of lying to the NCAA.

I will probably get blasted for this, but I am surprised no one has mentioned Jim Tressell.

I agree ...when does the NCAA clause fall off him?

Nevermind I just looked it up.. He received a 5 year show clause penalty, and he's only two years in. Tressel is not going to be an option.

I'd go to Kirby Smart with $4 million and make him turn it down. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Saban have some gentleman's agreement where Smart wouldn't leave for the AU job. But I'd see if $4 million could change his mind. I know he's not a proven head coach, but he's my No. 1 choice. Bottom line is he's learned from the best in the business. I know Boom, Dooley, Jimbo, etc., have too, and they have had limited to no success, but I'd be willing to take a chance that Smart could get it done — and it would help to weaken a rival even if it's just a little bit.

Charlie Strong would be my No. 2, and a close No. 2 at that. Excellent coach. Excellent recruiter with big-time ties to Florida and Georgia. He would bring a nice alternative personality recruiting against Saban, Boom, Richt, Jimbo ... Strong would be a great choice.

Not trying to blast you-but why on Kirby? He has zero HC experience. What big time programs have even looked at him? There are proven HCs out there why take a chance on Kirby? Taggert has won where no one has won and comes from a very successful coaching lineage. Smart is part of a program we know cheated in recruiting, so it is likely he would do the same and get us on serious probation. Losing him won't weaken saban; saban will just find another lackey; he is the evil genius and Smart is just a guy wearing the saban henchman uniform. I would have no problem with Strong. He could really do some great things with AU's resources and has shown he can turn a program in decline around.

I believe Kirby Smart either stays at Bama or reunites with Sunseri at Tennessee, assuming Dooley is fired.

Dooley will be fired, the Vols AD (Dave Heart) is from Alabama and he is pushing for Kirby. The Vols fan base has tunnel vision for Jon Gruden.

My vote for AU next coach is Jimbo Fisher. He as coached at AU before, his wife is an AU grad, he is a good recruiter and he would fit well with the program. IF we hire him it give us an instant boost of excitement and we could retain most of our recruits for the 2013 class and finish out strong. I think that Jimbo is a low risk hire that will produce on the field. And Jimbo has no issues with the NCAA or with players getting in trouble off the field. I would feel better with Jimbo sitting in the head coaching office than Bobby Petrino.

Greg Reid and a few others from FSU say hello...look I like Jimbo as an OC, but he can't even win an ACC title at the premier school in the league...loses one he should have won every year...

Malzahn would be the easy hire. I believe he would come back ASAP assuming we fire JJ and TJ and keep PD on the farm.

I think I would prefer Gus to Petrino.

I don't see Jimbo Fisher coming to Auburn. It doesn't matter if he has family connections to AU or not, it makes absolutely no sense to leave a Florida State program he has been rebuilding for a tougher job in the rigors of the SEC. If he's as good as everyone thinks, then he'll win big at Florida State without any issues.

Jimbo is way underpaid for a HC only making 1.8M per year. Rumors are that he is unhappy at FSU and there are also rumors that FSU is hurting on cash. So if we make him an offer for 2.8M per year I don't think FSU could make Jimbo a counter offer.

I agree with this. I would be a splash as well. Being realistic, I doubt it will happen. If by chance it did happen, it would be awesome for recruiting and coaching assistants.

Jimbo is way underpaid for a HC only making 1.8M per year. Rumors are that he is unhappy at FSU and there are also rumors that FSU is hurting on cash. So if we make him an offer for 2.8M per year I don't think FSU could make Jimbo a counter offer.

$$$$$$...there is your motive.

Charlie Strong

Jimbo Fisher

I just see Fisher and Strong as not that great. Solid, but not quite at that upper level.

I agree on Fischer-he's done nothing with FSU and they have all the resources AU has. Strong on the other hand has turned around a program that was slumping bad, much like AU. He has experience in the SEC and is a very good recruiter. He would also make it hard for Afro-Am. athletes in Alabama to go play for saban, (much like adorable Stacy Dash caught flack for backing Romney)

If true, I suppose I could see him leaving.

I would still think of it as a bit of a long shot though.

I like the idea of Jimbo, but frankly he'd be silly to leave FSU. He's got a clear shot every year for a conference title just because the ACC is weak. Still, I'd stand behind the hire.

I like the idea of bringing Gus back. Nuff said.

How about Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern?

Jimbo is a good safe hire that could unite the Auburn Family.

No he is the hire the bumpkins would like, because they would love to have a coach named Jimbo. He has done nothing at FSU in a weak ACC. The boy can't coach-his team lost to NCSt that lost to a Tenn team that has struggled this year.. Strong is a way better candidate, but he comes in a shade some in AL just aren't comfortable with yet. Jimbo = Chizik-he can recruit, but can't win big without a Superman. I could live with Gus as coach. The O would be fun to watch.

I like the idea of Jimbo, but frankly he'd be silly to leave FSU. He's got a clear shot every year for a conference title just because the ACC is weak. Still, I'd stand behind the hire.

I like the idea of bringing Gus back. Nuff said.

How about Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern?

Pat Fitzgerald is a good idea but nothing beats coaching for your alma mater....and rewriting the record books

Charlie Strong

Jimbo Fisher

I agree on Fischer-he's done nothing with FSU and they have all the resources AU has. Strong on the other hand has turned around a program that was slumping bad, much like AU. He has experience in the SEC and is a very good recruiter. He would also make it hard for Afro-Am. athletes in Alabama to go play for saban, (much like adorable Stacy Dash caught flack for backing Romney)

There are no guaranties in hiring a coach, You have to look at how the coach will fit into organization and what the university will do to help the new HC to become successful and most importantly you want a coach that wants to be their not one just looking for a paycheck.

I like Jimbo Fisher my 1st choice and Charlie Strong as my second choice. I would be happy with either of them. And I will probably change my mind again because I am spending way too much time stressing out about who the next HC will be.

Good names on this thread. I think the first order of business is for Gouge to decide who is making to make this hire. I don't see any top notch HCs coming near AU until the present dysfunction in the Athletic Dept is addressed. Do you ?

Gotta have the right sequence of events and it starts with JJ.

Good names on this thread. I think the first order of business is for Gouge to decide who is going to make this hire. I don't see any top notch HCs coming near AU until the present dysfunction in the Athletic Dept is addressed. Do you ?

Archived