AU / Bama

GaTigerFan

Before we go off the deep end "talking smack" to our bammer friends... lets not forget the last time we were gonna trounce the Tide. I believe it was 2001 at home. Does anyone remember what happened? We were the ones that got trounced. It was a nightmare. Do you need reminding that this is ALWAYS a very emotional game for both sides and that anything can happen? How about 1984? Another year we were gonna just kill 'em. We lost that one too. On the flip side... just a couple of years ago, Bammer is picked to crush us, and we win 17-7, with a patched up backfield... sorta like bammer this year. I love Auburn as much as anyone here... but we can't take a win for granted, much less a big win. Heres a trivia question... When was the last time we beat bammer by more than 10 points? Stat, do you know? I hope we do finally win big, but I'd take a 3-0 win right now. You older guys know what I'm talkin about.

I am reminded of 1972 - in reverse. AU went into that season expected to win 2 games. The team pulled together behind a very good defense and a barely adequate running offense to build a successful season.

Going into the Bama game NOBODY gave us any chance whatsoever. UA was ranked #2 nationally - our "miracle" season had us ranked somewhere around 15th. Not even AU people expected to win the game but we all had hope because it is such a rivalary game and anything could happen.

AU's offense did absolutely nothing that day. It was in fact a very boring game for 3-1/2 quarters as Bama pounded away with their wishbone but the AU defense playing strong to keep us within a respectable margain. They finally got to 16-0 (a blocked extra point don't forget) when we finally got enough offense early in the fourth to get a field goal (There was rumbling in the stands - Shug's decision's were not always as loved by the AU faithfull as some of you younger folks may have been lead to beleive).

Then the two punts were blocked and we suddenly had a 17-16 lead. Everyone knows this story. But what a lot of people who were not around do not know is that the gane was NOT over at that point.

Alabama had the weapons to scoce again. Everyone on the AU side side knew it would not take that much to for Bama to get into field goal range. Every one on the Bama side believed they could - would - still win.

It is the AU defense that won the game in the end by stopping an overwhelming UA offense.

I go into all this not to glorify AU's greatest win. That has been done many times. I write this to remind everyone just what this series is and to stress the simularities between AU 72 and UA 04. If anyone thinks that a UGA vicory this weekend seals the deal they are way off the mark

Damn right I know what you're talking about, GA...and if we can get by Georgia this week, I'll be as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs prior to 11/20.

Our last win by +10 over Alabama was 1969...49-26.

uat? uat? uat? I am thinking only of the wet stinking puppies to the East.

Nothing else matters this week.

ONE at a time. :au:

I thought we were getting a forfeit from UA this year, or that is what I read in another thread.  Damn, you mean we are still going to play the game.

118836[/snapback]

LOL....I hope UA doenst forfeit. I actually have tickets to this Iron Bowl. Either way im really looking forward to this game. I think its going to be a hard fought game.

Ditto Ga and Slag. I know all too well how this game usually plays out. That bunch in "T Town" are never more dangerous than when their back is against the wall and a superhuman game is expected. They will pull out every and I do mean EVERY stop in order to find a way to win. While agree that we SHOULD be thinking about Georgia now, one can't h elp but warn those euphoric "younguns" as Pat Dye used to say what they are in for. It will be another WAR and we had damn sure better be ready for both UGA and Bummer. Just my 2 cents worth. WDE!

Emotion...rivalry...yadda yadda....

The underdog is 6-40 since 1955.

118834[/snapback]

do you (or anybody) know how those 6 victories are split? just curious.

Emotion...rivalry...yadda yadda....

The underdog is 6-40 since 1955.

118834[/snapback]

do you (or anybody) know how those 6 victories are split? just curious.

119050[/snapback]

1-1 in the 2000's. Before that, I'm not really sure.

Yeah, anything can happen in this game. Anything can happen in any game. But do you dwell on that? I'd rather look at how the teams match up with each other...reality if you will. I didn't think we'd go into Knoxville this year and win but we matched up against UT so well and that was all we needed in the end. Our strengths greatly outweighed their weaknesses.

I know this isn't Iron Bowl week but instead of rambling on about the history and fluke games and all the intangibles of this game, why don't we look at how each team matches up with the other? Sounds kinda simple and reality just seems a lot more interesting to me. I mean, if you're going to try to make a prediction on the game, you'd like to have something to stand on when you make that prediction...maybe that's just me, I don't know.

Alrighty:

Offensive Line - Bama

Running Backs - Draw (because of fullback)

QB - AU big

WR - AU (id say talent wise a draw, but inability to get to ours is key)

Running game - Draw

Passing game - AU big (maybe not so much in yards, but in big play potential and effectiveness)

Dline - AU

LB - UA

Secondary - UA

Run D - AU

Pass D - UA

Kick returns - UA

Punt returns - AU

Punting - Draw

Field Goals - UA

Looking at it like this, it seems fairly even. But the problem is the margin of difference between the two passing games. AUs ability to keep a defense honest with the pass is something UA has yet to fully regain. The other difference would be the fact that AU has found ways to win close games. This bama team has yet to get over that hump.

Alrighty:

Offensive Line - Bama

QB - AU big

WR - AU (id say talent wise a draw, but inability to get to ours is key)

Running game - Draw

Passing game - AU big (maybe not so much in yards, but in big play potential and effectiveness)

Dline - AU

LB - UA

Secondary - UA

Run D - AU

Pass D - UA

Kick returns - UA

Punt returns - AU

Punting - Draw

Field Goals - UA

Looking at it like this, it seems fairly even. But the problem is the margin of difference between the two passing games. AUs ability to keep a defense honest with the pass is something UA has yet to fully regain. The other difference would be the fact that AU has found ways to win close games. This bama team has yet to get over that hump.

119068[/snapback]

This is high comedy.

RBs a draw? Excuse me while I pull myself off the floor.

Secondary advantage to Bama? Again...too freakin funny.

#1 pass defense in the country. And ive read more than one article about AUs secondary giving up the big play.

What do you have that you can argue AU having a better secondary than us...besides the fact that you are an AU fan?

Heres mine:

Common opponents

MSU - 190 yds 2 td

UT - 186 yds 1 td (multiple ints)

Ark - 209 yds 3 tds

UK - 73 yds 0 tds

Ole miss - 286 yds 2 td

MSU - 114 yds 1 td

UT - 132 yds 1 td (2 ints)

Ark - 122 yds 2 tds

UK - 100 yds 1 td

Ole Miss - 117 1 td

Guess who's stats are first and whos are second.

1972 Bama favored, AU won. (punt Bama punt; Bama # 2 in nation)

1982 Bryant's last year. Don't know who was favored. Dye's 2nd year. AU won. Bryant quit.

1984 AU favored heavily, Bama won.

1985 Bama won--would think AU favored.

1989 Bama favored, AU won. (1st I.B. in J-H; Bama # 2 in nation)

1963 Don't know who was favored. AU won 10-8. Jimmy Sidle, #1 rushing QB in nation, went down and Mailon Kent came in and threw winning TD.

1949 "Same" Bama team that beat AU 55-0 in '48 lost to AU 14-13. ('48 was 1st year of renewed series, since 1907.)

Good lord guys you sound like john f'in kerry.

You've been saying all along that Auburn has the best running backs in college football (dont have time to use the search feature). But now that Iron Bowl week is closing in, Auburn's RBs are only just as good as UAT's, even with TWO uat RBs out for the year. WTF?? Talk about the flip-flop disease...a draw? It MIGHT be a draw if uat had all of them healthy, but with two of them out? Come on...those are two first-second round draft picks you're talking about and they're still not better than uat's?

Heres mine:

Common opponents

MSU - 190 yds 2 td

UT - 186 yds 1 td (multiple ints)

Ark - 209 yds 3 tds

UK - 73 yds 0 tds

Ole miss - 286 yds 2 td

MSU - 114 yds 1 td

UT - 132 yds 1 td (2 ints)

Ark - 122 yds 2 tds

UK - 100 yds 1 td

Ole Miss - 117 1 td

Guess who's stats are first and whos are second.

119106[/snapback]

Well here we go with those same old arguments against the Bama D's #1 rating....who you play (both your opponent and your personnel). Those OOC patsies are likely boosting your overall stats. The common opponent argument, while interesting, does not factor in the fact that every one fo those games (except OM) was over in the first half and the 2nd and 3rd and even 4th string Auburn players were getting experience. The Bama D, however, is forced to play 1st stringers for the entire game due to depth and the inability to put the opponent away.

There is not one Bama player I would trade Rogers, Rosegreen, or Herring for.....Pitts is a toss-up, but I prefer his size/speed.

I also notice that you conveniently side-stepped my guffaws at your RB comparison.

Let's focus on the puppies. :au:

uat has an lsWHO butt whippin' coming to worry about! :big:

I obviously think AU has better running backs in CW and RB compared to Ken Darby and Aaron Johns. There is no question there. But I think we have the 2 best fullbacks in the sec. And if you watched the game against MSU you know what Im talking about. But the way I look at it...CW and RB wont be on the field that much at the same time. Leron and Ken will be every play. I guess my error is that Leron should probably be considered good because of his superior blocking ability...which would probably factor in more with oline instead of overall running backs. As far as just judging on running ability...yes AU takes the nod. But going against the same defense...i dont think AUs running GAME overall would be any more effective than ours.

I obviously think AU has better running backs in CW and RB compared to Ken Darby and Aaron Johns.  There is no question there. But I think we have the 2 best fullbacks in the sec. And if you watched the game against MSU you know what Im talking about. But the way I look at it...CW and RB wont be on the field that much at the same time. Leron and Ken will be every play. I guess my error is that Leron should probably be considered good because of his superior blocking ability...which would probably factor in more with oline instead of overall running backs. As far as just judging on running ability...yes AU takes the nod. But going against the same defense...i dont think AUs running GAME overall would be any more effective than ours.

119172[/snapback]

:noevil::noevil::noevil:

Archived