Alabama's #1 Defense?

moe

Rushing :au: 20th, :ua: 16th, :uga: 52nd

Passing :au: 40th, :ua: 114th! :uga: 32nd

Defense :au: 6th, :ua: 1, and :uga: 16th

:uga: @ :au: The D's are comparable. The O's show a slight Rushing advantage for :au: that should tilt the balance.

:au: @ :ua: The defensive stats show two close D teams between :ua: and :au: . The O is another story. :au: is 20th and 40th. :ua: is 16th and 114th! Very one dimensional!

You just don't get it. uat has the greatest "D" in history ! ! ! :lol::lol::lol:

Kind of like when you lose an eye, the other eye gets stronger. Then you lose an arm, the other arm gets stronger. Only problem is, with only one arm, you end up paddling in a circle.

:moon::moon::moon:

The thing I don't like about stats is that they can be misleading.

Yes, Alabama has the "#1 Defense" in the land, but they are 6-3. And they have yet to play anyone with a credible offense. And no, UT doesn't count as a credible offense. Auburn's defense isn't in the top 5 because Coaches put the 2nd and 3rd stringers in early in the 2nd half.

Same goes with Auburn's rushing offense. UAT may have the #1 rushing offense in the SEC, but they are 6-3. All they do is run the ball. Have they played a great defense yet? Auburn has Caddy and Ronnie, but they arent in there in the 4th quarter.

Same goes with the Auburn passing offense. Now UAT's blows. Auburn doesn't pass the ball in the 4th quarter.

There is no doubt that if Auburn left the 1st string in against the weaker opponets the scoring average against us would probably be like 4 or 5 points per game...

The stat doesnt say "#1 Defense in the nation - Alabama * (but they are only 6-3)"

The rankings show that. We are 6-3 because our QB got hurt. But we are also 6-3 BECAUSE our defense is playing out of their minds right now.

Why does it matter?....This seems to be the topic every week. Ok Bama has the #1 D......Whatever, I would trade the #1 D for 3 more wins any day of the year.

The stat doesnt say "#1 Defense in the nation - Alabama * (but they are only 6-3)"

The rankings show that. We are 6-3 because our QB got hurt. But we are also 6-3 BECAUSE our defense is playing out of their minds right now.

118980[/snapback]

I wonder how come I don't hear anything about the depth issues on defense. I was certain I saw it on here at least 100 times over the past off season. It's good to see all of our 2 star players over the last three years playing as good as they are. It's even better to know that we only lose two starters..............oh.....wait.....yes, bama hasn't played anyone. Stats mean nothing(unless it's rushing defense or scoring defense).

I must say, I can't get enough of these "#1" defense conversations. :):)

ECE, it would be nice to have 3 more wins, but if you traded the defense for those wins, we would still have more losses. The defense IS the reason we have the 6 we got.

the whole #1 defense in the nation is very deceptive. They have the #1 defense in the in terms of yardage but in terms of scoring defense they are nowhere close to #1. The reason the deense hasn't given up much yardage is b/c of the field position game and their offense is losing. The bama offense has given the ball up in their own territory therefore it doesn't take as many yards for their opponents to score.....

the whole #1 defense in the nation is very deceptive.  They have the #1 defense in the  in terms of yardage  but in terms of scoring defense they are nowhere close to #1.  The reason the deense hasn't given up much yardage is b/c of the field position game and their offense is losing.  The bama offense has given the ball up in their own territory therefore it doesn't take as many yards for their opponents to score.....

118990[/snapback]

Using that logic, wouldn't also be easy to say that's why the scoring defense isn't as low as it should be? Because the opponent doesn't have to go 50 yards to score? I mean, the opponent could get a turnover on the 25, gain no yards, and still get an easy 3 on the score board.

Also, bama is #6 in scoring defense. That's pretty close to #1. AU is giving up 4 less points a game than bama.

Thats exactly what i said... as far as yardage yes bama is #1 but in terms of scoring defense.. you aren't...

Rush Defense

Rank Name Games Carries Net Avg TDs Ydspgm Wins Losses Ties

23 Alabama 9 327 1047 3.20 7 116.3 6 3 0

Pass Defense

RankGames Patt Pcomp Papct Ydscmp Int Intpct Yds Ydsatt TDs Ydspgm

1 Alabama 9 191 76 39.79 12.72 9 4.71 967 5.06 7 107.44 0

Total

Rank Name Games Plays Yds Avg TDs Ydspgm

1 Alabama 9 518 2014 3.89 15 223.78 6 3 0

Scoring Defense

Rank Name Games TDs Kxp Oxp Dkxp Doxp FG Sf Points Ptspgm

6 Alabama 9 15 14 0 0 0 6 0 122 13.6

Thats exactly what  i said... as far as yardage yes bama is #1 but in terms of scoring defense.. you aren't...

118992[/snapback]

If bama's total yards is better than they should be because our opponent is getting the ball on our side of the field, I would say that it is simply amazing that our scoring defense is #6 overall only giving up 13.6 points per game. Considering that the opponent doesn't have to drive that far to score, bama's defense should be giving up at least 4 touchdowns a game.

118980[/snapback]

Don't forget also:

:ua: has their #3 QB playing

- their #3 RB

- their #4 waterboy

- their #2 ticket salesman

- their #5 towel man

- their #2 cheerleader is on the mic

- their concessions people have been hit hard with injuries

AND YET, They are still in the hunt for MNC #4,653!!! :roflol:

the whole #1 defense in the nation is very deceptive.  They have the #1 defense in the  in terms of yardage  but in terms of scoring defense they are nowhere close to #1.  The reason the deense hasn't given up much yardage is b/c of the field position game and their offense is losing.  The bama offense has given the ball up in their own territory therefore it doesn't take as many yards for their opponents to score.....

118990[/snapback]

Using that logic, wouldn't also be easy to say that's why the scoring defense isn't as low as it should be? Because the opponent doesn't have to go 50 yards to score? I mean, the opponent could get a turnover on the 25, gain no yards, and still get an easy 3 on the score board.

Also, bama is #6 in scoring defense. That's pretty close to #1. AU is giving up 4 less points a game than bama.

118991[/snapback]

A true Democrat if I have ever heard one! Spin it baby Spin it! :roflol:

Bama has a good defense. One of the best we'll face this year. Our defense is better at not giving up points and isn't exactly a slouch on the yardage thing either. I'd call it a draw. And given that our offense is more balanced, that's a draw I'll take any day of the week.

Bama has a good defense.  One of the best we'll face this year.  Our defense is better at not giving up points and isn't exactly a slouch on the yardage thing either.  I'd call it a draw.  And given that our offense is more balanced, that's a draw I'll take any day of the week.

119020[/snapback]

AMEN!!!

I'm not going to say who has the best defense until we play one another in two weeks, then I'll let you know by who wins the ballgame because A "W" IS ALL THAT MATTERS!!!!!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE AND BEAT THE DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!

Bama has a good defense.  One of the best we'll face this year.  Our defense is better at not giving up points and isn't exactly a slouch on the yardage thing either.  I'd call it a draw.  And given that our offense is more balanced, that's a draw I'll take any day of the week.

119020[/snapback]

AMEN!!!

I'm not going to say who has the best defense until we play one another in two weeks, then I'll let you know by who wins the ballgame because A "W" IS ALL THAT MATTERS!!!!!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE AND BEAT THE DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!

119026[/snapback]

Even if we lose, it doesn't mean their defense is better does it? I mean using their logic, a loss doesn't matter. :huh: :roflol:

I dont know that anyone here is saying alabama is as good as AU. Im not. Im saying our defense is a very good one. So is AUs. The problem with our defense against AU is that pass d is our strength...not run d. And AUs strength is run d. So what you do worst on offense goes up against what we do best on d. (im not saying you are a poor passing team...just better running than passing) And what we do best goes against your strength..so it will be tougher to take advantage of AUs weaknesses.

Archived