Article on SEC tickets

bigsixfive

When Auburn beat Ole Miss last week for the SEC's Western Division title, fans went crazy.

Not just the ones cheering at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.

Tiger fans quickly learned about the corporate world of made-for-TV events when they went scrambling for tickets to the Dec. 4 championship game in Atlanta. Auburn elected only to sell to the school's elite donors and big spenders, siphoning off tickets for suite owners, scholarship donors and the very top Tigers Unlimited patrons.

Even the students were slighted. Auburn set aside around 5,000 tickets for students, and they'll be distributed only through a lottery on Nov. 15.

The numbers don't add up. The Georgia Dome holds 71,250. Each team is given about 28,000 tickets.

You're telling me that the remaining 23,000 tickets - after the students' share - will go to the top 10 percent of all Auburn athletic donors? Why don't all season-ticket holders get a crack at a seat in Atlanta?

It's hard to be too critical because people know the score before the season even begins. If Auburn gets big, everybody knows the big-wigs will get dibs on the good seats.

That's fine. That's capitalism.

But now the regular, long-time fan with six season tickets doesn't have a prayer of scoring championship tickets outside of eBay. That seems wrong.

link

hehehehe.....Good thing my parents always get SEC tickets WAAAAY before we know who is going every year. My mom called me, said," thank god you have a ticket right? looks like there doin a lottery system down there for you all".....

Its really the way to go...get tickets really really early just in case. If auburn doesnt go, sell them on ebay for like a +200 profit. Win win situation.

I am no big-wig, but I do give a half-scholarship. Its a lot of money and way-way over priced for tickets, especially when the only good home games are LSU and UGA.

But I will say, one reason (there are many) that I give the scholly is that I know I will get the opportunity to get Alabama tickets, SECCG tickets, and/or bowl game tickets. Its a gamble on my part, if Auburn is good, then I get rewarded for my contribution (face value road, SECCG, and bowl game tickets), if they don't..well I just got season tickets.

You know...I read that article the other day and it really pi$$ed me off. I am a GAF-10...which means I contribute $1500 per year. The only reason I do so is to get good season tickets, SECCG tickets (if we make it), and good bowl tickets. I wouldn't give a dime to the athletic department if I didn't get something in return (I do give to the school of engineering and the school of business...I am a graduate of both). My season tickets cost me $2500 this year (10 @ $250 each) plus the $1500, which amounts to $61 per ticket. I am not a rich big wig as the article implies. I have four (4) children at Auburn right now (that's not a misprint). I have been in the GAF for 24 years. I resent someone in the media (who doesn't have a clue about what it takes to get a good seat...after all, they get great seats for free and something to eat to boot) writing about somethong they know absolutely nothing about. College athletics is all about money. Without it, college football (and all the other sports) would die. I am 100% sure that everyone that gives to the GAF, gives scholarships, and buys skyboxes do so for a reason....to get good seats at Auburn and be able to buy tickets to away games, the SECCG, and bowl games. If we didn't get something in return, ...we wouldn't give anything in the first place...at least to the athletic department (I would still give to Auburn and the colleges of enginering and business).

I've given my two (2) cents worth...how bout your's?

Archived