ST tweets about Auburn football

ellitor

This is what I heard from two friends, each on opposite sides of the matter. FSU is hurting financially, really hurting. I was doubted by several of you. I won't call you out. I believe Jimbo Fisher will be our next Head Coach at Auburn. He and Craig can flat recruitas well. If JJ is told he has to agree to get out of Jimbo's way this may be an incredible hire. We know Jackson is being re-assigned, maybe JJ's duties will be changed as well. This also could fall apart at the end but it is what is most likely as of today.

I believe current commits and Greg Bryant would like this hire as well.

How can JJ duties change? If he's the AD, he oversees the program... PJG isn't going to oversee football while AD does the rest...

Apart of JJ being retained is some major restructuring of the AD and reassigning TJ. Plus unless Gogue yields he will have a bigger say in this football hire than JJ.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that this seems like a great way to get a raise at FSU.

All I know is the SEC will become tougher as slots get filled at ARK, TN & KY so we better get it right.

JJ being allowed to stay after a HC is named would show gross negligence on Gogue's part. JJ has to be held accountable for consecutive 5 MIL & 7.5 MIL HC buyouts and the state of Auburn athletics.

If Fisher is hired its not a given Stoops will follow he is a hot assistant that can get a HC gig somewhere after the season but more than likely most of his assistants will come with him. Maybe Eddie Goldman and Jameis Winston will transfer to AU if Fisher is hired.

This is what I heard from two friends, each on opposite sides of the matter. FSU is hurting financially, really hurting. I was doubted by several of you. I won't call you out. I believe Jimbo Fisher will be our next Head Coach at Auburn. He and Craig can flat recruitas well. If JJ is told he has to agree to get out of Jimbo's way this may be an incredible hire. We know Jackson is being re-assigned, maybe JJ's duties will be changed as well. This also could fall apart at the end but it is what is most likely as of today.

How can JJ duties change? If he's the AD, he oversees the program... PJG isn't going to oversee football while AD does the rest...

Apart of JJ being retained is some major restructuring of the AD and reassigning TJ. Plus unless Gogue yields he will have a bigger say in this football hire than JJ.

Well that is scary. It also tells me that the money is forcing Auburn's hand. There is no way Gogue has the knowledge to hire a football coach, unless he is being told who to hire. I am not saying JJ would do better. I am saying it looks the blind (Gogue) leading the blind (JJ)

If Fisher is hired its not a given Stoops will follow he is a hot assistant that can get a HC gig somewhere after the season but more than likely most of his assistants will come with him. Maybe Eddie Goldman and Jameis Winston will transfer to AU if Fisher is hired.

Their D Line Coach Hudson, who is awesome, would likely come in as DC.

Possible hires: Who are BOOM hires and who are not. Consider AU's past hires; History says we DO NOT make BOOM hires at AU.

Jimbo Fisher - BOOM Hire - If he has a chance to bring with him several of his assistants, this would be huge IMO for AU. They recruit really well and are good coaches. I would like the 2 AU backround coaches plus DC Stoops. Going in to last nights game FL ST's defense was overall #1 in the country. FL ST is 9-1 this year.

Bob Stoops - BOOM Hire - if this is possbile, it would be a BIG hire.

Charlie Strong - possible BOOM. He has done a great job at Louisville, can he do it and recruit well in the SEC.

Peterson - BOOM Hire, heard he is the leading candidate for AK

Gary Patterson - BOOM Hire, rumor has him going to AK.

NFL coaches

Chip Kelly - NO chance, most likely taking an NFL HC position

Fisher - BOOM Hire, but has never coached college. I would love to give him a shot if he wanted it though.

John Gruden - No chance, heard today he is ready to coach again, but most likely for Philly in the NFL.

There may be others. I would be very pleased with any of these coaches.

Jimbo is a guy that would definitely excite me. If you tell me he's coming with Eddie Gran and Mark Stoops OR retaining VanGorder (in the event Stoops gets a head coaching job, which could definitely happen), I'm absolutely on-board.

On his staff, I'm not the biggest Rick Trickett fan in the world, but I believe Gran is the best running back coach in America. I thought that when he was at Auburn, and I think it now. He's fantastic. Craig is a great recruiter, and he seems to be a fair QB coach. On the other side of the ball Odell Haggins is one of the few guys I put on a level with Tracy Rocker. The man routinely produces great defensive linemen. Haggins and DJ Eliot have a great working relationship. It's relatively young staff, but they seem to work well together. I'd be on board with this.

I hope you are correct but when Jimbo wins the ACC, goes to a BCS bowl game and ends the season in the top 5, the "FSU is hurting financially" will be corrected by a wealthy booster or two.

In the mean time, Jimbo's agent is wisely adding $$$$ to his contract for next season!

If JJ stays as AD, then Jimbo is the best we could hope for as a HC hire. I think Jimbo is a decent hire, but no homerun in my opinion. He has had SEC level recruiting in the ACC and still not won the conference. I think the jury is still out on him. It will be interesting to see what happens in the UF v. FSU game this year. Jimbo won last year when UF was down, but what will it say if he loses this year? I think it will say that he has beaten lesser opponents, but has still yet to win the big game at FSU.

FSU beat Clemson this year, but outside of that, Jimbo doesn't have a signature win while at FSU, but does have some pretty embarrassing losses. Last year they lost to Wake Forest and Virginia. This year NC State. I'm just not totally convinced Jimbo is ready for SEC play. I'm afraid Jimbo could be Auburn's Mark Richt. Around 10 wins a year, but losing to someone you shouldn't ruins your chance at a conference/national title. That being said, I believe him to be an upgrade over Chizik given the current state of our program and would welcome him if hired.

Possible hires: Who are BOOM hires and who are not. Consider AU's past hires; History says we DO NOT make BOOM hires at AU.

Jimbo Fisher - BOOM Hire - If he has a chance to bring with him several of his assistants, this would be huge IMO for AU. They recruit really well and are good coaches. I would like the 2 AU backround coaches plus DC Stoops. Going in to last nights game FL ST's defense was overall #1 in the country. FL ST is 9-1 this year.

Bob Stoops - BOOM Hire - if this is possbile, it would be a BIG hire.

Charlie Strong - possible BOOM. He has done a great job at Louisville, can he do it and recruit well in the SEC.

Peterson - BOOM Hire, heard he is the leading candidate for AK

Gary Patterson - BOOM Hire, rumor has him going to AK.

NFL coaches

Chip Kelly - NO chance, most likely taking an NFL HC position

Fisher - BOOM Hire, but has never coached college. I would love to give him a shot if he wanted it though.

John Gruden - No chance, heard today he is ready to coach again, but most likely for Philly in the NFL.

There may be others. I would be very pleased with any of these coaches.

What about Gus?

And consider this, most schools don't easily fire coaches who have won a National Championship - except us! Good luck finding another school dumb enough to let their championship coach get away, let alone fire him. We are something else....

And consider this, most schools don't easily fire coaches who have won a National Championship - except us! Good luck finding another school dumb enough to let their championship coach get away, let alone fire him. We are something else....

You still don't get it?

Jimbo is a guy that would definitely excite me. If you tell me he's coming with Eddie Gran and Mark Stoops OR retaining VanGorder (in the event Stoops gets a head coaching job, which could definitely happen), I'm absolutely on-board.

On his staff, I'm not the biggest Rick Trickett fan in the world, but I believe Gran is the best running back coach in America. I thought that when he was at Auburn, and I think it now. He's fantastic. Craig is a great recruiter, and he seems to be a fair QB coach. On the other side of the ball Odell Haggins is one of the few guys I put on a level with Tracy Rocker. The man routinely produces great defensive linemen. Haggins and DJ Eliot have a great working relationship. It's relatively young staff, but they seem to work well together. I'd be on board with this.

I forgot about Odell. One of my all-time favorite names in sport. The man can flat out coach also. I would put him real close to Coach Rocker level.

Name me one school that had two wins, with three games to go, just two short seasons after winning a NC.

Name me one school that had two wins, with three games to go, just two short seasons after winning a NC.

Name a team that fired their coach two years after winning a NC (that didn't break rules), in recent history.

Name a team that fired their coach two years after winning a NC (that didn't break rules), in recent history.

Auburn University (it just hasn't been announced formally yet) :dunno:

For those questioning Jimbo winning in an inferior conference...answer this question...did Saban dominate when he was in an inferior conference?

Here you go..Saban as Michigan State's HC

1995 6-5-1

1996 6-6

1997 7-5

1998 6-6

1999 10-2

Jimbo is young in his head coaching (started HCing in 2010) career but has the intangibles to be a great HC. Look what he has done in his young career at FSU. Jimbo to Auburn would be great! Also, IF JJ is told to give JF full control over the football program...we could see an immediate turn around on the Plains as far as football culture goes...in a positive way.

War Damn Eagle!

Their D Line Coach Hudson, who is awesome, would likely come in as DC.

Unless, Hudson becomes the new FSU DC and we keep BVG.

Yep, ain't ya proud!!

Yes actually. I'm expecting AU to need to play its best football of the year to beat Alabama A&M next week. Zero improvement week-to-week gets really old 12 weeks into the football season.

Auburn University (it just hasn't been announced formally yet) :dunno:

Auburn University. This after winning three games, and ZERO conference games, two years after winning a NC. Now we may upset UGA or the gumps, but that would be one of the biggest upsets in the last decade plus.

Name a team that won 3 games and lost every conference game only two years after winning a national title.

Why can't everyone accept that this is uncharted waters? No one has ever fired a coach this soon after a title. At the same time, no one has ever seen such complete failure this soon after a title. Maybe you think he deserves to stay. That's a defensible position, but it's ridiculous to compare this situation to any other because this has never been seen before.

Archived