Criteria for Best Defense

Proud Tiger

How about gving up the least amount of points in the country?

Wisconsin 82 9.1 PPG

Auburn 87 9.6 PPG

USC 100 11.1 PPG

Cal 113 14.1 PPG (8 games)

Oklahoma 158 and gave up close to 500 TO to Texas A&M 17.5 PPG

oh yeah forgot to add Alabama 122 13.5 PPG

How about gving up the least amount of points in the country?

Wisconsin 82

Auburn 87

USC 100

Cal 113

Oklahoma 158 and gave up close to 500 TO to Texas A&M

119067[/snapback]

That would sure be my criteria. As I watched the MSU-bama game I kept hearing the idiot Curry saying over and over that bama had the best defense in the country. Now I realize that is based on minimum yards per game given up. But that's a stat for losers. Yards per game given up is a good indicator but minimum points per game is the proof of the pudding. Yards don't always beat you but points do.

My criteria would be points, record, competition and yards.

Y'all. Please quit whining about Alabama. There defense is good against the pass. You cannot deny that. Ours is better against the run. Just let the baby have their bottle already.

POINTS! Plain and simple. That is the ONLY stat that equals wins and losses.

Best D, best O, fewest ypg, fewest whatever, yada, yada, yada. I don't look at stats for a team as much as the W/L record. In the end, the W/L record is all that matters, anytime.

Whatever stats favor AU, because that is the only true way to determine which defense is the best. <_<<_<

Y'all.  Please quit whining about Alabama.  There defense is good against the pass.  You cannot deny that.  Ours is better against the run.  Just let the baby have their bottle already.

119114[/snapback]

When you say " Just let the baby have their bottle already" do you really think that should be pointed towards the UA fans? You guys are the ones that keep bringing this up, trying to spin it towards AU's favor.

Points per game. If you're not giving up a lot of points, you're not giving up a ton of yards. You may not be the leader in least yardage given up but you'll be up there statistically. Just keep the points off the board.

Y'all.  Please quit whining about Alabama.  There defense is good against the pass.  You cannot deny that.  Ours is better against the run.  Just let the baby have their bottle already.

119114[/snapback]

When you say " Just let the baby have their bottle already" do you really think that should be pointed towards the UA fans? You guys are the ones that keep bringing this up, trying to spin it towards AU's favor.

119157[/snapback]

"Let the baby have its bottle" is a phrase used when someone has little to hold on to except for something that means nothing to anyone else. No one else wants the bottle, so let the baby have it. I said, for the record that AU fans need to shut up about Bama, because I could care less about them right now. They are a second rate team with a first rate defense. If your gonna pick on Bama, pick on the OTHER facets of the game that matter, not the #1 Defensive ranking. Hence, "Let the baby have its bottle." Bama can hang their hat on a #1 ranking all they want. Moral Victories RARELY show up in the W-L column.

Well i guess Kansas st, Maryland, and Iowa had better defenses last year than AU.

Its not like we give up a ton of points either. 6th in the nation.

119114[/snapback]

119157[/snapback]

"Let the baby have its bottle" is a phrase used when someone has little to hold on to except for something that means nothing to anyone else. No one else wants the bottle, so let the baby have it. I said, for the record that AU fans need to shut up about Bama, because I could care less about them right now. They are a second rate team with a first rate defense. If your gonna pick on Bama, pick on the OTHER facets of the game that matter, not the #1 Defensive ranking. Hence, "Let the baby have its bottle." Bama can hang their hat on a #1 ranking all they want. Moral Victories RARELY show up in the W-L column.

119161[/snapback]

Fair enough.

I had much rather have the better T E A M ! ! ! :au:

Well i guess Kansas st, Maryland, and Iowa had better defenses last year than AU.

119166[/snapback]

I'll tell ya what's gonna be funny. If UA's scoring defense winds up better than AU's at the end of the year. It is possilbe. AU's only allowing 4 less points a game. Then we will see the criteria change......in a hurry. I wonder what it will be then?

119166[/snapback]

I'll tell ya what's gonna be funny. If UA's scoring defense winds up better than AU's at the end of the year. It is possilbe. AU's only allowing 4 less points a game. Then we will see the criteria change......in a hurry. I wonder what it will be then?

119190[/snapback]

Wins, baby. :lol:

119166[/snapback]

You asked for it BG.

BUT WHO DID THEY PLAY?!

:poke::roflol:

Just kidding by the way.

Yeah, right BamaGrad.  AU would have to give up 37 more points than UA in two games.

119195[/snapback]

Not in two games. AU plays an explosive UGA team that can score 28. AU has an extra game in the SECCG. AU will play a way better team in their bowl than bama will play. It is very possible for it to happen.

119166[/snapback]

119190[/snapback]

Wins, baby. :lol:

119192[/snapback]

:lol::lol:

p.s. I would like to say that I'm very suprised I haven't been slammed all over the board for my "possible" typo.

I don't think there is any single criteria that you can point to because of all the factors that contribute to each stat.

I wouldn't trade AU defense this year for the Alabama defense, and I bet most of UA's fans wouldn't trade either.

Just a few of my opinions

UA has an advantage yardage wise because they are a running team and use more clock than we do while they are on offense(limiting opponenets possesions) and their 1rst string has played late into the game most of the year whereas AUs have not played many 4th quarters this year.

AU has an advantage in the run defense category because we have jumped on opponenets and they have had to pass more. This also plays to our scoring defense in that teams have to change game plans when trailing.

I think AU is 9-0 with AUs or UAs defense, and I bet UA would be about where they are with either defense.

I don't think there is any single criteria that you can point to because of all the factors that contribute to each stat.

I wouldn't trade AU defense this year for the Alabama defense, and I bet most of UA's fans wouldn't trade either.

UA has an advantage yardage wise because they are a running team and use more clock than we do while they are on offense(limiting opponenets possesions) and their 1rst string has played late into the game most of the year whereas AUs have not played many 4th quarters this year.

AU has an advantage in the run defense category because we have jumped on opponenets and they have had to pass more.    This also plays to our scoring defense in that teams have to change game plans when trailing.

I think AU is 9-0 with AUs or UAs defense, and I bet UA would be about where they are with either defense.

119248[/snapback]

Sweet Jesus!!!!!!! VERY NICE POST!!!!!!! This is the best response I've seen on the defensive arguements from either side. AGAIN......VERY NICE POST!!!!

The purpose of defense is to keep the other team from scoring so I would have to say scoring defense is most important. My next most important criteria would be forced turnovers because they are often the difference between winning and losing.

AU has an advantage in the run defense category because we have jumped on opponenets and they have had to pass more.    This also plays to our scoring defense in that teams have to change game plans when trailing.

119248[/snapback]

Sweet Jesus!!!!!!! VERY NICE POST!!!!!!! This is the best response I've seen on the defensive arguements from either side. AGAIN......VERY NICE POST!!!!

119254[/snapback]

Which is the reason I posted yards per play earlier this year. I understand that YPG is more important than YPP, but I thought it necessary to compare defenses WITHOUT the offense to "tip the scales." I can do it again if you want, but I'm tired of hearing about Bama's defense.

Archived