NCAA investigating AU?

AubTigers

I was always interested in why the NY Times broke negative news about Auburn and why the interest so far north.

Well! The Tusc, newspaper and the Times were owned by the same company.

If I wanted to break a negative story and stay clean looking. Feed the stories to a fellow entity and let the bad press originate somewhere else. Then the local can run the story and point to the originator.

The Tuscaloosa News is no longer owned by The New York Times. Have been owned by the Haifax Media Group since January 2012.

Link

So the T-Times was owned by the NYT during "Cam-gate", to the poster's point.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aufootballrob, do you know what the first sign of a loser is? They start blaming other folks for their problems. "Yeah, I changed his grades because every other team in college football is guilty of whatever sin they're all guilty of."

Let's get this straight. Auburn is not 100% clean. It is probably 1,000 times cleaner than several successful D-1 schools. And, if true scrutiny were brought on all NCAA football programs, I doubt more than 15% would come out unpunished. The powers that be turn a blind eye to unintentional secondary violations and zealous guidance counselors, so that the ball can leave the foot on Sept 1 and everyone can be happy. -Because fan bases are in the order of hundreds of thousands of people, boosters in the thousands; and you could count coaching and compliance employees on all your fingers and toes. -Because the best trained coaches get excited and accidentally invite kids to ride in a limo.

What a bunch of hooey. If you'd take that statement and make it sound like its well-grounded instead of floating off the fingertips of a man that thinks only in hyperbole and exaggeration, it might at least be acceptable in a debate -- assuming you have research and documentation somewhere to back it up. Don't point fingers at an imaginary enemy. How do you accidentally invite someone on a limo ride? It is my assumption that most college coaches in U.S.A., and in particular the SEC, tread that fine line between compliance and non-compliance like a tightrope walker, but even the best slip off. Sometimes, when you're driving a car and accidentally run a stop sign, you get away with it and sometimes you don't. But getting away with it doesn't make it right and, after a while, you convince yourself that you can run through the next one and the next one and suddenly there's a cop hidden behind the trees.

Has 'Bama broken the rules and gotten away with it. Of course. So has LSU and Tennessee and Florida and the list could go on and on. We have to stop worrying about what the other schools do or don't do, which committed this infraction or that infraction and nobody gives a damn it seems, We've got to stop pointing fingers at 'the media' and red elephants or bulldogs and bears and instead seeing what is wrong within our program and addressing those ills. There isn't a thing we can do about what's going on elsewhere unless we actually have evidence other than what's been posted on the internet or a few innocuous pictures. We only know what we see and read, and if things turn out differently than we believe they should, then it's probably a lot more likely that we didn't know all the facts instead of some wide-spread overpowering conspiracy.

I love Auburn and believe we're as clean or cleaner than a lot of other universities (not 1000 times cleaner,.,), and neither you or I know the entire scope of this investigation or prelude to a possible investigation. It could be nothing at all or worse than we want to believe. We don't know.

When we wake up in the mornings, get up and get ready to take on the day, is our determination to become the best we can be, do everything we can to make ourselves better, stronger and more successful or do we instead waste our talents on trying to take down 'the man' and blame our shortcomings on whatever person or entity that allows us to keep failing because we have an excuse?

I believe the first scenario represents Auburn and Auburn football the way it used to be -- in the days of Jordan and Dye and even Tubberville and David Housel. We didn't win them all but we damn sure showed up at every game. Now we have Chizik and seemingly constant turnover of assistants and Jay Jacobs. We seem to have the proverbial deer-in-the-headlights look.

We can't fix problems by pointing fingers, unless we point them at ourselves first. That's just the way it is.

I am always wary of people who are adamant in describing something as an "either or" situation when trying to prove their point. In this case two things can be true at the same time. One, that Auburn should concentrate on its own house AND two, there are certain elements associated with other programs that don't play by that rule and are more concerned with doing us harm. BOTH can be true at the same time.

The question then becomes what do you do about it ? The poster you address is saying, in essence, when confronted by individuals openly trying to do us harm, there is much more that can be done than saying "no comment". He is right. It is all part and parcel of protecting your brand. Entire books are written and courses taught on the subject in the fields of business management, sales, advertising and politics.

The way I see it is we need to worry about our on backyard and not bama's. If we have a mess let's clean it up and quick worrying about what some other school may or may not be doing. The NCAA doesn't really have it in for anybody and they don't play favorites. We like to believe they do because that makes us feel better about ourselves.

Sorry, but it has been proven the NCAA does play favorites. bammer has had 20, 25, or 30 potential violations under Saban alone and the NCAA has looked the other way. You can also find evidence of LSU dealing with street agents and such, and the NCAA has looked the other way on that issue as well. What do the bammers and corndogs have in common? Mark Emmert was the school president at LSU while Saban was their football coach

You can spare me the usual denials Tiger Pharm 04, because I recognize you for the bammer you are and your denials mean nothing to me

Bammer? Not hardly. I donate more than 10% of my salary to Auburn University and Auburn Athletics. Just because I keep a sense of rationality, play devils advocate and remain objective, you call me a bammer. You are obviously clueless.

Even weeks ago, I wasn't looking forward to this up coming game. Now that the NCAA is checking us out again, I'm even more down and not looking forward to the game.I may end up Southern Cal & Notre if their playing @ 2:30. If not, then I'll find some other game.

Even weeks ago, I wasn't looking forward to this up coming game. Now that the NCAA is checking us out again, I'm even more down and not looking forward to the game.I may end up Southern Cal & Notre if their playing @ 2:30. If not, then I'll find some other game.

Look on the bright side. In about 30 hours, this season will be over and we can move on to righting the ship.

BEAT 'BAMA !!!!!!!!!!

:wareagle:

aufootballrob, do you know what the first sign of a loser is? They start blaming other folks for their problems. "Yeah, I changed his grades because every other team in college football is guilty of whatever sin they're all guilty of."

Let's get this straight. Auburn is not 100% clean. It is probably 1,000 times cleaner than several successful D-1 schools. And, if true scrutiny were brought on all NCAA football programs, I doubt more than 15% would come out unpunished. The powers that be turn a blind eye to unintentional secondary violations and zealous guidance counselors, so that the ball can leave the foot on Sept 1 and everyone can be happy. -Because fan bases are in the order of hundreds of thousands of people, boosters in the thousands; and you could count coaching and compliance employees on all your fingers and toes. -Because the best trained coaches get excited and accidentally invite kids to ride in a limo.

What a bunch of hooey. If you'd take that statement and make it sound like its well-grounded instead of floating off the fingertips of a man that thinks only in hyperbole and exaggeration, it might at least be acceptable in a debate -- assuming you have research and documentation somewhere to back it up. Don't point fingers at an imaginary enemy. How do you accidentally invite someone on a limo ride? It is my assumption that most college coaches in U.S.A., and in particular the SEC, tread that fine line between compliance and non-compliance like a tightrope walker, but even the best slip off. Sometimes, when you're driving a car and accidentally run a stop sign, you get away with it and sometimes you don't. But getting away with it doesn't make it right and, after a while, you convince yourself that you can run through the next one and the next one and suddenly there's a cop hidden behind the trees.

Has 'Bama broken the rules and gotten away with it. Of course. So has LSU and Tennessee and Florida and the list could go on and on. We have to stop worrying about what the other schools do or don't do, which committed this infraction or that infraction and nobody gives a damn it seems, We've got to stop pointing fingers at 'the media' and red elephants or bulldogs and bears and instead seeing what is wrong within our program and addressing those ills. There isn't a thing we can do about what's going on elsewhere unless we actually have evidence other than what's been posted on the internet or a few innocuous pictures. We only know what we see and read, and if things turn out differently than we believe they should, then it's probably a lot more likely that we didn't know all the facts instead of some wide-spread overpowering conspiracy.

I love Auburn and believe we're as clean or cleaner than a lot of other universities (not 1000 times cleaner,.,), and neither you or I know the entire scope of this investigation or prelude to a possible investigation. It could be nothing at all or worse than we want to believe. We don't know.

When we wake up in the mornings, get up and get ready to take on the day, is our determination to become the best we can be, do everything we can to make ourselves better, stronger and more successful or do we instead waste our talents on trying to take down 'the man' and blame our shortcomings on whatever person or entity that allows us to keep failing because we have an excuse?

I believe the first scenario represents Auburn and Auburn football the way it used to be -- in the days of Jordan and Dye and even Tubberville and David Housel. We didn't win them all but we damn sure showed up at every game. Now we have Chizik and seemingly constant turnover of assistants and Jay Jacobs. We seem to have the proverbial deer-in-the-headlights look.

We can't fix problems by pointing fingers, unless we point them at ourselves first. That's just the way it is.

Very well said.

I agree with you. It's just a difference of philosophy with regards to what is going on elsewhere.

I don't think a minor NCAA violation - and I would include even flippant recruiting miscues - merits discipline. Slap on the wrist. "Don't do it again."

Yes, AU should do everything in its power to be as compliant as it can be. And I really do think we wear a white hat in the SEC and in the NCAA.

We are getting gamed because our leadership are simple. A good coach is a consummate economist. MSU was still in the hunt in 2010 when Mullen was flinging mud. In 2011, Danny M came to our house and challenged a play that didn't need challenging because the game was close, his defense was getting gassed, and he wanted a longer timeout. He then told the refs his headset wasn't working, so our coordinators had to turn off their radios. We just took it all. They don't respect us.

Alabama... likewise, but worse. There are juvenile-acting Bama fans who literally, once they have made their billable hours for the week, promote lies about Auburn; because they hate everything about it. They realize we compete for recruits. They work in law, media, and politics. They have the platform. And they use it. And Auburn should fight them legally. Because it doesn't matter if we pay a million dollars for billboards between the high schools and the homes in Birmingham, Atlanta, and Montgomery. All of that image can be ruined by one news story with anonymous sources. We are fighting free media with paid media / content with advertising. We are getting flak over a guidance counselor -when Bama is making tOSU look like a bunch of choir boys- because they control the news cycles.

http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2012/07/auburn-unveils-ever-to-conquer-billboard/

We don't run stop signs. We go 67mph in a 65mph zone, by accident. These guys are running red lights, drunk, with the windows down and the speakers blaring and then they call the cops on US!

I agree with you. It's just a difference of philosophy with regards to what is going on elsewhere.

I don't think a minor NCAA violation - and I would include even flippant recruiting miscues - merits discipline. Slap on the wrist. "Don't do it again."

Yes, AU should do everything in its power to be as compliant as it can be. And I really do think we wear a white hat in the SEC and in the NCAA.

We are getting gamed because our leadership are simple. A good coach is a consummate economist. MSU was still in the hunt in 2010 when Mullen was flinging mud. In 2011, Danny M came to our house and challenged a play that didn't need challenging because the game was close, his defense was getting gassed, and he wanted a longer timeout. He then told the refs his headset wasn't working, so our coordinators had to turn off their radios. We just took it all. They don't respect us.

Alabama... likewise, but worse. There are juvenile-acting Bama fans who literally, once they have made their billable hours for the week, promote lies about Auburn; because they hate everything about it. They realize we compete for recruits. They work in law, media, and politics. They have the platform. And they use it. And Auburn should fight them legally. Because it doesn't matter if we pay a million dollars for billboards between the high schools and the homes in Birmingham, Atlanta, and Montgomery. All of that image can be ruined by one news story with anonymous sources. We are fighting free media with paid media / content with advertising. We are getting flak over a guidance counselor -when Bama is making tOSU look like a bunch of choir boys- because they control the news cycles.

http://www.thewareag...quer-billboard/

We don't run stop signs. We go 67mph in a 65mph zone, by accident. These guys are running red lights, drunk, with the windows down and the speakers blaring and then they call the cops on US!

Rob: Great Post! You are 100% correct!!!! I have said for years Auburn needs to hire a to p notch public relations firm full time to promote Auburn. Our media relations are pathetic when you compare it to Bama's and the other SEC schools who are at the top. Hell, we don't even furnish microphone to the media who ask questions of our coaches in the weekly press conferences. And Auburn needs positive publicity much more than the other schools because as pate Dye sai, "the only people who want AU to win are Auburn people".

http://www.thewareag...quer-billboard/

If this is the kind of stuff that happens on post #2, I think you should post more often. +1

Lets just let the investigation go where it will.

If we committed violations and get caught, then we'll have to own up to it and face the consequences.If we're clean then the NCAA wont find anything and we'll be fine.

It doesn't involve some complex, national conspiracy against Auburn. We just have to hope our program didn't cross the line and that we'll be cleared of whatever they're investigating.

Whether we are being investigated or not, Tim Brando was sure to mention that we were when he talked about how LSU could win the West. It would take "a monumental upset" from an "Auburn team that, it was reported yesterday, is under NCAA investigation."

You know, if the NCAA's policy is to respond 'no comment' even on non-existent investigations, that gives carte blanche to anyone to claim an investigation is ongoing. Sources told me it was, and the NCAA said they couldn't comment. Uh oh -- must be the death penalty for Auburn!

Whether we are being investigated or not, Tim Brando was sure to mention that we were when he talked about how LSU could win the West. It would take "a monumental upset" from an "Auburn team that, it was reported yesterday, is under NCAA investigation."

You know, if the NCAA's policy is to respond 'no comment' even on non-existent investigations, that gives carte blanche to anyone to claim an investigation is ongoing. Sources told me it was, and the NCAA said they couldn't comment. Uh oh -- must be the death penalty for Auburn!

I heard the Brando comment- he is a huge LSU homer. But, I also think this had absolutely nothing to do with the game.

FYI ..... Another board paraphrased the latest auburn 247 article from PM. Chizik gone on Sunday or Monday, no leading candidate and No one within the AU administration is worried about this NCAA issue.

Please, answer me this:

Did we have two assistant coaches pulled off the recruiting trail?

Were there representatives of the NCAA not on campus over the past few days?

Did they not interview several players and coaches, possibly including a couple of 'Bama players?

I only know what I've read on the internet, so I can't honestly answer any of those questions. But, if the answer is yes to any two of them, then the old adage of "if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck" likely applies. How are the talking heads supposed to reference it? No matter how they verbalize it, 'NCAA' and 'on campus' are the only words that will stick in the listener's head and he or she will form their own opinion. I don't think (could be wrong) any school is actually considered under investigation until there is an official letter from the NCAA saying so. But, they have to get information before the letter can be sent -- or not sent.

I have no way to know if they're just shaking the bushes, confirming some already existent information, or just going about their business of looking for needles in haystacks. It makes no difference what Brando says. If everything comes up smelling like roses, as it well could, we will have the last laugh as they report we're not actually under investigation.

Don't worry about things over which you have no control. Things will shake out and, regardless of any issues, Auburn will come out on top.

And, that's not something I just read on the internet.

This board doesn't allow rumors but wild speculation is OK !

This board doesn't allow rumors but wild speculation is OK !

Might need to brush up on your reading skills for the rules.

The board doesn't allow rumors. The board does allow a thread topic (which had a containing link) about an article posted on a very popular media outlet to be discussed.

No need for that ignorant and dumb comment.

Please, answer me this:

Did we have two assistant coaches pulled off the recruiting trail?

Were there representatives of the NCAA not on campus over the past few days?

Did they not interview several players and coaches, possibly including a couple of 'Bama players?

I only know what I've read on the internet, so I can't honestly answer any of those questions. But, if the answer is yes to any two of them, then the old adage of "if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck" likely applies. How are the talking heads supposed to reference it? No matter how they verbalize it, 'NCAA' and 'on campus' are the only words that will stick in the listener's head and he or she will form their own opinion. I don't think (could be wrong) any school is actually considered under investigation until there is an official letter from the NCAA saying so. But, they have to get information before the letter can be sent -- or not sent.

I have no way to know if they're just shaking the bushes, confirming some already existent information, or just going about their business of looking for needles in haystacks. It makes no difference what Brando says. If everything comes up smelling like roses, as it well could, we will have the last laugh as they report we're not actually under investigation.

Don't worry about things over which you have no control. Things will shake out and, regardless of any issues, Auburn will come out on top.

And, that's not something I just read on the internet.

The answer to your 3 questions is the same, unknown. If you don't know the answer to those questions then why speculate further ? This would be a good rule for the media, would it not ? With reference to the part of your post I hi-lited, it is not as simple as that. The timing of unsubstantiated rumors can actually do damage, even if they are proven to be false later. In this case it could effect Auburn's coaching search and '13 class.

The reality is there is in fact a small contingent of people that support that West Alabama team that think that addition (to their program) by subtraction (from our program) is a viable strategy. The point, as I said in a earlier post to you, is that a smart organization knows they need to protect their brand and not just be silent. There are ways for Auburn to do that and still stay within the rules. To do less is pure folly and tantamount to cowardice. Auburn can protect its brand and still take care of business in the football program.

So just to summarize. The bammers are cheaters because there are always stories of them cheating, even though the NCAA has never punished them lately.

There is absolutely no chance that we have done anything wrong despite the NCAA's presence on campus. The REC controls the NCAA, ESPN, Yahoo, NYT, and AL.com and all the reports against us are products of their Illuminati-esque influence on the world of sports.

Does this sound ridiculous to anyone else?

Archived