NCAA investigating AU?

AubTigers

I object to the term "conspiracy theory." It's not like I'm walking around with an aluminum foil hat on, that has AU on the front in Magic Marker. There is precedence here.

When Alabama was accused of paying in excess of $100,000 for a recruit from Memphis, a lawsuit was filed claiming there were "conspiracies of fabrication." http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20040116/NEWS/401160351?p=1&tc=pg

It is important to point out the lessons and the differences. 1. The lawsuit may have caused Alabama to get penalized more 2. because they were guilty as heck. and 3. The lead attorney is a UA booster.

I found this sentence from the article interesting. "There are no provisions in NCAA rules prohibiting coaches from supplying information on rival schools or doing so under a confidentiality agreement."

CFB coaches live in a world of "but you didn't say I couldn't do it." Over signing, gray shirting, voluntary workouts, you-name-it. (maybe add slander to that list?)

There are some nefarious boosters in all programs; some of whom that would break the rules, and others who are very familiar with what they can and can't do. I'd be curious to know if providing a program with intangible PR services, with the implicit purpose of steering recruits (in general), constitutes an NCAA infraction. I'd be willing to bet it doesn't. This is what I am referring to.

Football rumors spread like wildfire in the news.

You might not be aware of this. Tim "He might be an idiot, but he's OUR idiot" James was leading in the polls for the 2010 GOP gubernatorial primary... right up until the point where he joked about firing Saban. It hit the press and the Pawl F-Bomb show went berserk. http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2010/05/finebaum_nick_saban_gaffe_coul.html As a result, he was eliminated by, like, 0.1%. And a guy from Tuscaloosa took his place. In the PR world, you have positive polling numbers and negative polling numbers. If you are curious, please read up on "positive and negative opinions of candidates and issues." It is an easy concept to grasp; and it will change your perception of advertising and media.

There is a vast difference in cultures between our two schools. Would you not agree? How many times have you said (or watched on the jumbotron) the Auburn Creed? You believe this is a practical world, and that hard work will earn you what you are entitled to. Alabama has the law school. They believe they are entitled to what they can take from you. Don't ever forget that.

"The truth" is relative. Typically "the truth" is the most widely accepted information; not necessarily the accurate description of the events as they transpired. If you control the news cycles, you control the truth. Journalists earn far too little to go chasing down stories. Often times, they cut and paste quotes from their sources and rely on whatever is freely available to them for the rest. They move a comma, change a few words... You get the picture. To that end, any anonymous source can fabricate a "truth."

"But, AUfootballRob. You doth protest too much, we think. Please present us with hard evidence."

Sorry folks. I don't have it. Take my word? It's as good as the unnamed individuals on AL.com and in the NYTimes...

I have been in gatherings where middle aged lawyers say things like "I was talking to my colleagues who are friends with Judge So-and-So. And we have it on the highest authority that Milton's bag man made 2 stops that day. One to the state representative and another to Cam's daddy. And that's why the FBI is really involved. We are preparing a legal team in case this all happens to make sure the truth comes out." And that's when this happens: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/09/fbi-sniffing-around-cam-newton-situation/

And when that happens, according to Wikipedia, it is truth and fact. Because all you need is one source, even if it is NBC quoting TMZ. And when it is on Wikipedia, it is part of an information stock that lazy bloggers and underpaid journalists rely on. And when you have misinformation that harmful about your program etched into stone, it's not a good thing.

And, that's why get up and sue some people for talking NCAA trash about your school.

"Is there a wizard behind the curtain? I don't know. Is there one, are there two, are there 10 wizards behind the curtain? I don't know, and I don't care." -CGC 2010

YOU BETTER CARE!

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob,Rob,Rob, I wanted to respond before the first "oh no they wouldn't do that BS". Excellent post.

Something that generates a 100 million a year gets attention.

As recent political efforts should verify, what for otherwise seemingly intelligent individuals, the truth isn't always told, reported or for that matter believed. That is a comment about the campaign, not the participants.

If we do not manage our branding, image and PR efforts better than we have, in generation of information or in response to it, we need to be accustomed to the end of the line. That is the only place we will be.

An idea left unchallenged becomes the truth and fact has nothing to do with it.

While for rational people, Fbomb is a clown college, rational people do not hang on every word. Irrational ones do. This is where Updyke hatched his grand plan after getting mad at Tammy. Someone who you would not use to fertilize a garden.

To think the constant drumbeat of press negativity in this state has no effect, to think that on some level it isn't organized EVEN if it is just different people with the same goal, frankly, you are the kind of people advertisers, marketers and image molders love. You have no clue.

Well, I thought it funny that no one commented on my post about what the Bham News stated in Wed paper about the fact the CGC's contract did not contain any language about probation or breaking the rules resulting in lessering the buyout, etc. And now I understand there was a detraction in the Bham news about that clause. Anyone else think that is funny, since we are discussing conspiracy?

Almost no one in the sports news business does any real research...they all have "sources" that feed them hot stories...and you can bet your last dollar that these sources have their own reasons for leaking or promoting various stories. Guys like Thamel, Forde and numerous others avoid censure by reporting what their "sources" say and not having to personally stand behind the accuracy of the stories. We saw literally hundreds of such stories back in the Cam days....virtually all of them were false and when the NCAA report came out, NONE of the hacks promoting the stories ( like Forde, Shadd, Thamel and others ever acknowledged that they had been passing along bad information..and none offered an apology to Cam or AU.

There was nothing new in the recent NCAA story...and no journalistic reason for regurgitating it this week. What's going on about AU is not paranoia....it's a matter of recognizing the state of sports journalism in the US (and particularly the south) and dealing with people who have motives for what they write....and the main motive is NOT informing the public of some important news.

What makes this story have some bite? If Trooper and Luper are really banned from recruiting, the question that needs to be asked is why? You don't take your two best off the recruiting trail for no reason. Find the answer and I believe you will see the answer to the investigation.

I object to the term "conspiracy theory." It's not like I'm walking around with an aluminum foil hat on, that has AU on the front in Magic Marker. There is precedence here.

When Alabama was accused of paying in excess of $100,000 for a recruit from Memphis, a lawsuit was filed claiming there were "conspiracies of fabrication." http://www.tuscaloos...60351?p=1&tc=pg

It is important to point out the lessons and the differences. 1. The lawsuit may have caused Alabama to get penalized more 2. because they were guilty as heck. and 3. The lead attorney is a UA booster.

I found this sentence from the article interesting. "There are no provisions in NCAA rules prohibiting coaches from supplying information on rival schools or doing so under a confidentiality agreement."

CFB coaches live in a world of "but you didn't say I couldn't do it." Over signing, gray shirting, voluntary workouts, you-name-it. (maybe add slander to that list?)

There are some nefarious boosters in all programs; some of whom that would break the rules, and others who are very familiar with what they can and can't do. I'd be curious to know if providing a program with intangible PR services, with the implicit purpose of steering recruits (in general), constitutes an NCAA infraction. I'd be willing to bet it doesn't. This is what I am referring to.

Football rumors spread like wildfire in the news.

You might not be aware of this. Tim "He might be an idiot, but he's OUR idiot" James was leading in the polls for the 2010 GOP gubernatorial primary... right up until the point where he joked about firing Saban. It hit the press and the Pawl F-Bomb show went berserk. http://blog.al.com/p...gaffe_coul.html As a result, he was eliminated by, like, 0.1%. And a guy from Tuscaloosa took his place. In the PR world, you have positive polling numbers and negative polling numbers. If you are curious, please read up on "positive and negative opinions of candidates and issues." It is an easy concept to grasp; and it will change your perception of advertising and media.

There is a vast difference in cultures between our two schools. Would you not agree? How many times have you said (or watched on the jumbotron) the Auburn Creed? You believe this is a practical world, and that hard work will earn you what you are entitled to. Alabama has the law school. They believe they are entitled to what they can take from you. Don't ever forget that.

"The truth" is relative. Typically "the truth" is the most widely accepted information; not necessarily the accurate description of the events as they transpired. If you control the news cycles, you control the truth. Journalists earn far too little to go chasing down stories. Often times, they cut and paste quotes from their sources and rely on whatever is freely available to them for the rest. They move a comma, change a few words... You get the picture. To that end, any anonymous source can fabricate a "truth."

"But, AUfootballRob. You doth protest too much, we think. Please present us with hard evidence."

Sorry folks. I don't have it. Take my word? It's as good as the unnamed individuals on AL.com and in the NYTimes...

I have been in gatherings where middle aged lawyers say things like "I was talking to my colleagues who are friends with Judge So-and-So. And we have it on the highest authority that Milton's bag man made 2 stops that day. One to the state representative and another to Cam's daddy. And that's why the FBI is really involved. We are preparing a legal team in case this all happens to make sure the truth comes out." And that's when this happens: http://collegefootba...wton-situation/

And when that happens, according to Wikipedia, it is truth and fact. Because all you need is one source, even if it is NBC quoting TMZ. And when it is on Wikipedia, it is part of an information stock that lazy bloggers and underpaid journalists rely on. And when you have misinformation that harmful about your program etched into stone, it's not a good thing.

And, that's why get up and sue some people for talking NCAA trash about your school.

"Is there a wizard behind the curtain? I don't know. Is there one, are there two, are there 10 wizards behind the curtain? I don't know, and I don't care." -CGC 2010

YOU BETTER CARE!

:clap: :clap: :bow:

What makes this story have some bite? If Trooper and Luper are really banned from recruiting, the question that needs to be asked is why? You don't take your two best off the recruiting trail for no reason. Find the answer and I believe you will see the answer to the investigation.

I agree, I also hear that many of our top recruits have not heard from AU in sometime. These coaches are trying to get out with a clean slate and a good check. But I think the clean slate is fading fast.

Rob is right, the bias against Auburn has been there since the bear, I had alums from other schools during the Cam fiasco come up to me and ask why does the media hate Auburn?

It is driven by the updykes - we need to go on the offensive.

"I also hear that many of our top recruits have not heard from AU in sometime."

Ah, news from another "source"....it must be true. So "many"....how many is that ? 1, 2 10 ??? and which ones? and is AU still interested in all those early commitments now that a full HS football season has passed?

And also, did the Juco RB just show up at AU and make his own commitment without any involvement of the coaching staff? And of course the kids who came to the UGa and AA&M game were just here on their own?

AU admitted to some secondary violations quite a while ago and applied their own penalty which was to keep a couple coaches off the road. Does't mean that the kids AU still wants are not hearing from our coaching staff.

It kills me how ordinary bammer trash spits vile garbage about AU paying players and going on and on about Cam or as they say, Scam Newton. UAT has the best paid players in the nation-period. I work for a company based in Tuscaloosa and on my few occasions there I have seen players in 40 to 50 dollar Tahoes, Camaros, etc. Now, one could ask, Did the parents buy it for them? Sure, on a some, but I saw one player who I know about (where he was born and raised) and in NO way possible could his poverty stricken mother pay for that ride. The customized NEW Tahoe even had his name and jersey number on the back window. That is just the tip of the iceberg. Star players are paired with "walk-on football" roommates who have wealthy donor parents. How easy is that, to have a rich kid run get 500 a pop out of the ATM and leave it laying around for the taking? Now I don't know if AU has cheated or not, but to throw a rock at a glass house by the bammers is just asinine.

It kills me how ordinary bammer trash spits vile garbage about AU paying players and going on and on about Cam or as they say, Scam Newton. UAT has the best paid players in the nation-period. I work for a company based in Tuscaloosa and on my few occasions there I have seen players in 40 to 50 dollar Tahoes, Camaros, etc. Now, one could ask, Did the parents buy it for them? Sure, on a some, but I saw one player who I know about (where he was born and raised) and in NO way possible could his poverty stricken mother pay for that ride. The customized NEW Tahoe even had his name and jersey number on the back window. That is just the tip of the iceberg. Star players are paired with "walk-on football" roommates who have wealthy donor parents. How easy is that, to have a rich kid run get 500 a pop out of the ATM and leave it laying around for the taking? Now I don't know if AU has cheated or not, but to throw a rock at a glass house by the bammers is just asinine.

Even though they live in glass houses they can throw rocks because they have bulletproof glass. They are so blatant with it, obviously there is no fear.

What school in the SEC was proven by the NCAA to have offered the highest amount of money for a player? No Jacky the point spread, died haired ,they have a witness that won't testify, bag man theory from an unnamed friend at the NCAA, but listed in the NCAA ruling?

What school in the SEC was mentioned in writing by the NCAA about using the DEATH PENALTY as a possible penalty?

Penn State's probation was in part attributed to a culture of a football icon that dimmed the judgement of the administration. I love Auburn and don't care how many trophies Saban lays at bama's feet. Auburn does not aspire to be bama. I want us to be the best Auburn we can be and have no fear of a shadow cast from another university.

As football goes Auburn achieved the pinnacle in 2010 from being an unknown contender in that season. Don't let the bitterness of this season dim what and who we are. Park your agendas aside and pull for Auburn not against.

So just to summarize. The bammers are cheaters because there are always stories of them cheating, even though the NCAA has never punished them lately.

There is absolutely no chance that we have done anything wrong despite the NCAA's presence on campus. The REC controls the NCAA, ESPN, Yahoo, NYT, and AL.com and all the reports against us are products of their Illuminati-esque influence on the world of sports.

Does this sound ridiculous to anyone else?

It is pretty much ridiculous to everyone except those that want or need to believe it.

For those that do, don't worry guys, we are are still better than they are because we give FOUR year scholarships and unlike UAT we (obviously) don't process players who can't cut it at the SEC level.

Also, nobody in OUR fan-base would EVER support hiring a coach with character issues like NS, who told a bold faced lie to the media in Miami before he left, just so we could have a winning team.

not so fast my friend.there are many in our fan base supporting the potential of petrino being hired.i wouldn't say he is an example of a character hire.

That was sarcasm. Lots of the "hire BP crowd" are the same ones bashing NS's "character". If our RB's could change direction like some of our fans, we would be SEC champions; If schools were ranked based on the amount of "rationalizing" done by its fan-base, we would be top 5.

So just to summarize. The bammers are cheaters because there are always stories of them cheating, even though the NCAA has never punished them lately.

There is absolutely no chance that we have done anything wrong despite the NCAA's presence on campus. The REC controls the NCAA, ESPN, Yahoo, NYT, and AL.com and all the reports against us are products of their Illuminati-esque influence on the world of sports.

It is pretty much ridiculous to everyone except those that want or need to believe it.

For those that do, don't worry guys, we are are still better than they are because we give FOUR year scholarships and unlike UAT we (obviously) don't process players who can't cut it at the SEC level.

Also, nobody in OUR fan-base would EVER support hiring a coach with character issues like NS, who told a bold faced lie to the media in Miami before he left, just so we could have a winning team.

The reasons you stated are also the reasons that AU doesn't win consistently.

not so fast my friend.there are many in our fan base supporting the potential of petrino being hired.i wouldn't say he is an example of a character hire.

That was sarcasm. Lots of the "hire BP crowd" are the same ones bashing NS's "character". If our RB's could change direction like some of our fans, we would be SEC champions; If schools were ranked based on the amount of "rationalizing" done by its fan-base, we would be top 5.

THIS. IS. SO. DEAD. ON.

"I also hear that many of our top recruits have not heard from AU in sometime."

Ah, news from another "source"....it must be true. So "many"....how many is that ? 1, 2 10 ??? and which ones? and is AU still interested in all those early commitments now that a full HS football season has passed?

And also, did the Juco RB just show up at AU and make his own commitment without any involvement of the coaching staff? And of course the kids who came to the UGa and AA&M game were just here on their own?

AU admitted to some secondary violations quite a while ago and applied their own penalty which was to keep a couple coaches off the road. Does't mean that the kids AU still wants are not hearing from our coaching staff.

Taking coaches off the recruiting road as a self imposed penalty is standard procedure too. A lot of schools do that but of course the regurgitated stories dont mention that fact. As far as AJ not hearing from anybody, if I am not mistaken, that is suppose to be a quote from him, which is similar to what Wilkins had said. In Wilkins case though, it is my understanding that we were calling his Dad to give him a break during the season and he didn't know that so it was all worked out.

It's idiotic to spend millions on facilities, millions on equipment, millions on coaches, a million a year on recruiting, claim you want a contending program every year, have the rich tradition Auburn has and then NOT protect your brand, period. One of the responsibilities of the AD is to protect the brand of Auburn athletics and in this case specifically, Auburn football.

Rob is right, the bias against Auburn has been there since the bear, I had alums from other schools during the Cam fiasco come up to me and ask why does the media hate Auburn?

It is driven by the updykes - we need to go on the offensive.

I actually agree with this statement. Only thing to remember is this... We could live in a state with zero respect, zero positive media, lies and bashing year round...But if we get top recruits every year, just like the turds...there is no reason why we can't dominate them. The lies and bias and negative attention doesn't keep our players from being developed.

I'm not saying there isn't shady business going on in TTown, and I know there is a bias. But if we continue to stack up 4 and 5 stars and have nothing to show for it, the bias excuse starts to lose it's flair. Remember, Pawl Fbaum and the bias media never actually play a down. It all rests on the shoulders of the boys in orange and blue.

Archived