Malzahn the likely replacement

Rednilla

Provided Jacobs is retained, as it appears he will be, Malzahn will most likely be the next head coach at Auburn. Per AUSportTalk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Provided Jacobs is retained, as it appears he will be, Malzahn will most likely be the next head coach at Auburn.

so long as it isnt Petrino, I am OK with that.

If that were to happen it would be very interesting to see who all he would want to retain from the current assistant and position coaches (those of them that would be interested in staying).

Am I really the only person who doesn't want Gus back?!?

I don't think he would be the smartest hire but he could do very well

at this point, I think Malzahn could put together a decent staff at a SEC school. He has built up contacts, can offer a big DC some money and let him run that side of things. He could probably pull in a decent OL coach in Herb Hand too.

We could make worse hires IMO, but Malzahn wouldn't even be in my top 5.

I wouldn't consider this a splash hire...I would consider it the easiest hire.

Yep, well put.

Petrino has the motorcycle wreck baggage.

Gus has his really unusual wife baggage.

There is no perfect replacement.

Hire the best d@mn football coach and not someone who is a choir boy.

Malzahn is the easiest hire. That is Jacobs all of the way. At least Malzahn has a winning record as a HC.

wde

Would not be a good idea. I'd prefer a guy with a proven track record of building and maintaining a program at a high level (See: Chris Petersen) over a guy who has been a head coach for one year and has had nothing but short stints as a coordinator over the past few years.

Alex-- I think keeping JJ changed the options.

This.

I agree with what others have said, I think Gus is the easiest hire to make and wouldnt be surprised at all if that happens. I'm ok with it, not a splash hire or anything. I dunno, it's one of those middle of the road "we could do better but we could do worse hires". I will say that I'd take Gus over Chiz any day of the week so...

It's not that I don't want Gus, I just (like a lot of us) think there are better options. But if it's Gus, I'm putting my chips in with him.

War Eagle!

Archived