Malzahn the likely replacement

Rednilla

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus is a great guy and I truly appreciate what he did for Auburn, especially staying on board passing up 3MIL/year at Vandy and coaching our NC game. This was huge, but how do you turn a job like Auburn in the state we are in right now over to a HC with 1 year of experience ? We obviously not learned a damn thing. JJ still breathing should have been the first sign. Disgusted !

War Eagle !

Petrino has the motorcycle wreck baggage.

Gus has his really unusual wife baggage.

There is no perfect replacement.

Hire the best d@mn football coach and not someone who is a choir boy.

^^ THIS! Let's stop going for these church guys and get a coach that will humble Nick Satan

Anyone less than an experienced head coach in a competitive national conference will appear to be a failure. Or certainly Fisher from NFL would fit the experience bill. Search committee apparently includes Pat Sullivan and Bo Jackson, so how much sway do they have over the final candidates? If Malzahn or someone on that order, then I would favor a search committee not only for Athletic Director (Jacobs appears already to be a jinx), but also for university president. Perhaps we should locate the heckler on that famous video of a few years ago and hire him as president or at least vote him on the board of trustees. This hire could really be a point of no return given the increasing competitiveness in the conference.

Would not be a good idea. I'd prefer a guy with a proven track record of building and maintaining a program at a high level (See: Chris Petersen) over a guy who has been a head coach for one year and has had nothing but short stints as a coordinator over the past few years.

Every coach that has left Boise has bombed..Koetter, Hawkins.....SEC is a different animal vs big west....plus I doubt Perterson leaves Boise

That is NOT who Mayor predicts BTW.

I know. But Mayor's prediction is based upon Dr. Gouge letting go of Jay Jacobs. I asked ST about it, and he said, again, if Jacobs is let go, things change...and in that case, I suspect Mayor will be right. But we shall see.

I know. But Mayor's prediction is based upon Dr. Gouge letting go of Jay Jacobs. I asked ST about it, and he said, again, if Jacobs is let go, things change...and in that case, I suspect Mayor will be right. But we shall see.

Except it looks as if JJ isn't going anywhere.

Who is the Mayor predicting?

Gus is a great guy and I truly appreciate what he did for Auburn, especially staying on board passing up 3MIL/year at Vandy and coaching our NC game. This was huge, but how do you turn a job like Auburn in the state we are in right now over to a HC with 1 year of experience ? We obviously not learned a damn thing. JJ still breathing should have been the first sign. Disgusted !

War Eagle !

Exhibit A - Muschamp at Florida, Jimbo @ FSU, Freeze at Ole Miss...if u can coach, you can coach.

What about bob stoops??

This is the "Likely Replacement " thread, not the name a famous college football coach thread.

Malzahn brings a lot to the table.

He knows the landscape (AD, competition, recruiting)

He knows the players (and who are the troublemakers)

He knows the coaches (and who can't chop wood)

The players know him and his playbook

Offensive recruites love his offense

He's very creative and motivated

Downside:

Limited HC experience

Players may be complacent due to familiarity

To me the upside outweighs the downside and frankly, I enjoyed watching us score in the 30s more than I have in the teens.

All aboard the Gus Bus. There may be times it isn't pretty but it will never be boring.

Well excuse me for not being perfect!! I was just simply asking about stoops would there be a chance for him to come to AU!!!

What about bob stoops??

This is the "Likely Replacement " thread, not the name a famous college football coach thread.

Malzahn brings a lot to the table.

He knows the landscape (AD, competition, recruiting)

He knows the players (and who are the troublemakers)

He knows the coaches (and who can't chop wood)

The players know him and his playbook

Offensive recruites love his offense

He's very creative and motivated

Downside:

Limited HC experience

Players may be complacent due to familiarity

To me the upside outweighs the downside and frankly, I enjoyed watching us score in the 30s more than I have in the teens.

All aboard the Gus Bus. There may be times it isn't pretty but it will never be boring.

If our responses to this news is either

"There may be times it isn't pretty but it will never be boring" or "Not the best hire but we could do worse"

Then it is not the right hire. Period. End of story.

How can we expect to compete for SEC championships without demanding the best possible candidate. I love Gus, I liked Gene, and I loved Tubbs. We need a coach that can compete with Sumlin, Saban, Miles, Richt, Muschamp (as of this moment UT and Ark are still hiring). Are we going to compete with a guy that "might" be a good hire? I remember the people that were sentimental over the 2004 season trying to sell me on why Gene was such a great hire.

Gus is a great OC & is perfect in the Sunbelt. Not HC material for Auburn.

^^^THIS AGAIN^^^^

^^^THIS AGAIN^^^^

J Fisher and not the FSU coach :)

He is NOT the only one I have heard this from....but it does mean bringing in Snead as AD......which would not be a bad thing. This **could** be a direction Auburn is heading...when is the last time Jacobs had a "search committee" in hiring a coach?

^^^THIS AGAIN^^^^

J Fisher and not the FSU coach :)

Thank you very much!

I get it. We aren't a part of the AE clan. They know something we don't know, nanny nanny boo boo. By the way, ST, the grand poobah of the AE boys, just tweeted "Petrino and Jeff Fisher still in play but I believe JJ goes the safe route with Malzahn". Dude is guessing. It also appears that he is no longer saying Jimbo is the front runner.

I get it. We aren't a part of the AE clan. They know something we don't know, nanny nanny boo boo. By the way, ST, the grand poobah of the AE boys, just tweeted "Petrino and Jeff Fisher still in play but I believe JJ goes the safe route with Malzahn". Dude is guessing. It also appears that he is no longer saying Jimbo is the front runner.

Stop being a smart a$$ and if you would read you would see I posted who Mayor thinks it will be.

It has nothing to do with AE vs AUFamily, but thanks for playing the divisive game.

Yes he is guessing. "Earth shattering" I know.

wde

No, that has nothing to do with it. I didn't want to come out and say it because it's not my information, and I'm not sure exactly how many people know what. However, since someone else has said it, yes, it's Jeff Fisher.

Yes he is guessing. "Earth shattering" I know.

wde

He has a better track record than anyone else does in this line of work...even though he doesn't get paid for it.

Coach Malzahn is the PERFECT hire. We would no longer have to worry about our genius OC's being taken from us. We have had three great ones in Petrino, Borges, and Gus. The head coaches did all of them bad and they either left or got canned because of those head coaches. When your genius OC is the head coach, they can't steal him and there isn't a HC who is jealous trying to hold them back. Gus knows the recruits. He has previous relations with them. He can rally the recruits to stay. Gus knows the coaches. He may want to retain the ones that were doing a great job. Gus is also a highly disciplined, hard working coach that the players respect. He is smarter than anyone we will play against and the players know it. The offensive players we have were recruited to play in Malzahn's offense. They will fit right in. Coach Gus is a decent, honest man who never said anything bad about Auburn of Coach Chizik in spite of how he was treated. That is class! Gus Malzahn will establish a dynasty at Auburn. Saban is terrified of him. War Eagle!

Mayor was not "guessing"....he was told something. Whether that comes to fruition or not, who knows. But he was not known EVER for just throwing out "guesses" without stating "this is a guess but...." In fact, it was quite the opposite, he never tended to post anything unless he had heard it from someone he deemed credible, and he was usually right.

Stop being a smart a$$ and if you would read you would see I posted who Mayor thinks it will be.

It has nothing to do with AE vs AUFamily, but thanks for playing the divisive game.

Then why wouldn't red answer the question instead of answering another AE guy's post in the vaguest possible manner? That's exactly what happened, and we both know it. Also, name calling was also banned at AE, along with saying anything that wasn't filled with sunshine. But hey, name calling isn't divisive at all.

Archived