Malzahn the likely replacement

Rednilla

I think Gus is a poor at evaluating and developing talent, I have yet to see him develop a QB that he recruited. In 3-4 years if our current hire fails, Gus will be someone to look at/ BUT only if he recruits and develops his own QB for once. In his few years as OC he has had many "top recruits" fail or leave the team. Starting with Mitch mustain, ending with Kiehl Frazier/Zeke Pike.

Super Cam and the Alpin kid at ASU were great QB's before Malzahn got them. He has always inherited a JR or SR QB. His other QBs have failed, quit, and or were kicked off the team.

Yeah, Gus really did a poor job developing Pike. They spent a few hours together during recruiting. Poor job Gus. I will say this. If Gus had stayed, Keihl would have done well this year (at least as good as Todd) and Pike would be breathing down his neck as backup. Just my opinion of course. I really don't think Chiz, Trooper, or Luper wanted Pike anyway. I think they were all ready to pull the plug on him as soon as he messed up. He didn't get nearly as many chances as some of the others. Lets just say he didn't have a mentor who had his back. In my opinion, Gus is a much better Head Coach than OC so I guess you know where I stand. War Eagle!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus's only problem with recruiting and/or developing QBs was there was nothing there and couldn't affort a miss. Plus, he had to have someone who would be ready within a year or two. It was a longshot to begin with and it just didn't happen. To say he didin't get it done is fair but to say he can't do it is unfair.

I am not trying to say he can not do it, We do not know if he can do it. I want to see Gus do it before we bring him back to AU. There are other candidates that have proven they can do it at the SEC level. We can not afford a football risk.. I would rather take the PR risk.

There are 0 no risk candidates. Gus has proven he can win it all at Auburn. He did it even working around Chizik. He actually represents the least risk, football or PR.

You are pointing to one failure and ignoring an avalanche of accomplishments.

We thought Chris Todd was useless and he set records under Gus. He wasn't perfect but he had a great season under Auburn standards.

The only thing Malzahn has proven is that he can beat the lower tier teams in the SEC. I love Gus. I appreciate the NC. I believe he can develop Ark St. into a Boise St. type team. I just do not believe he can beat Alabama, LSU, Georgia and any of the other upper tier teams on a consistent basis. He did not do it here as a OC.

We thought Chris Todd was useless and he set records under Gus. He wasn't perfect but he had a great season under Auburn standards.

This is true. No doubt. However... 1. He did not beat any top tier SEC teams that year. 2. After he graduated what was the permanent plan for solidifying the QB position? It has been worse than I have ever seen it. The recruits (should have been more) have not panned out & JW was a much better option and that was a last minute CSL pick up.

Gus's only problem with recruiting and/or developing QBs was there was nothing there and couldn't affort a miss. Plus, he had to have someone who would be ready within a year or two. It was a longshot to begin with and it just didn't happen. To say he didin't get it done is fair but to say he can't do it is unfair.

I am not trying to say he can not do it, We do not know if he can do it. I want to see Gus do it before we bring him back to AU. There are other candidates that have proven they can do it at the SEC level. We can not afford a football risk.. I would rather take the PR risk.

There are 0 no risk candidates. Gus has proven he can win it all at Auburn. He did it even working around Chizik. He actually represents the least risk, football or PR.

You are pointing to one failure and ignoring an avalanche of accomplishments.

Gus has not proved he can win at Auburn any more than Ted Roof has.

"You are pointing to one failure and ignoring an avalanche of accomplishments"

Ironically I see it the other way. I pointed out multiple failures under Malzahn but only get "look what he did with Chris Todd" as an answer for the best QB development of Malzahn's career.

I am not trying to say Malzahns sucks, I just do not think he is ready, and his QB evaluation/development is sketchy at best.

I think the fact Gus has worked with a different QB every year he has been coaching tells you he can win with any QB. There is a reason he always has a top offense... It's because he is GOOD. Without Chizik meddling like he did in 2011 he would be just fine.

HIRE GUS MALZAHN!

Would have to muzzle this though.

Kristi1.jpg

I think the fact Gus has worked with a different QB every year he has been coaching tells you he can win with any QB. There is a reason he always has a top offense... It's because he is GOOD. Without Chizik meddling like he did in 2011 he would be just fine.

HIRE GUS MALZAHN!

Kristi1.jpg

Why Why do you have a picture of my mom?

If we don't hire Gus it will be a big mistake. He will go on to defeat us many times as the next great SEC coach (and probably next year as a Sun Belt coach). Not sure which SEC team though. Could be Bama, SC, Tenn, LSU, Mizzou who knows. But the guy was born to coach and we have a chance to get him now because he still loves Auburn. Some of the other candidates are very good coaches as well, but Gus could turn us around quicker. He knows the problems and I truly believe he can fix them. Lets get back on the bus.

HIRE GUS MALZAHN!

Kristi1.jpg

ROFLOL!

HIRE GUS MALZAHN!

Kristi1.jpg

ROFLOL!

Sorry -- I'm not a fan of attacks on a man's wife. It sure as hell has nothing to do with his coaching ability. Wish folks would stop it.

HIRE GUS MALZAHN!

Kristi1.jpg

ROFLOL!

Sorry -- I'm not a fan of attacks on a man's wife. It sure as hell has nothing to do with his coaching ability. Wish folks would stop it.

I thought that was Tammy

HIRE GUS MALZAHN!

Kristi1.jpg

ROFLOL!

I have read and seen a lot of things that have shocked me lately. We are a "special" fanbase my bare fanny. We are no different than any fanbase. We are just fans of Auburn. Nothing more and nothing less.

HIRE GUS MALZAHN!

Kristi1.jpg

ROFLOL!

I have read and seen a lot of things that have shocked me lately. We are a "special" fanbase my bare fanny. We are no different than any fanbase. We are just fans of Auburn. Nothing more and nothing less.

Yeah, makes you wonder when we'll get our very own Harvey. >:(

I'm not sure what the debate is about, but these are all QB's that came out of high school the same year as Kiehl :

Braxton Miller - OSU

Johny Manzel - TAMU

Marcus Mariota - Oregon

Brett Hundley - UCLA

Jeff Dryskal - UF

Just a few that were working under new coordinators this season...

I think a few of those are redshirt guys who sat out and adjusted to college, also they did not have a HC nitpicking around in every thing. Furthermore CSL was his main coach. That alone should warrant KF some empathy.

HIRE GUS MALZAHN!

Kristi1.jpg

ROFLOL!

Oh the reality! Make it stop!

Our defense was horrible this year. Having said that, if Malzahn had been running the offense without interference, we'd have won 8 games at a minimum.

Our defense was horrible this year. Having said that, if Malzahn had been running the offense without interference, we'd have won 8 games at a minimum.

Agree!

I would love to have Malzahn and would not mind Smart either...........both have a great shot at being very successful. It is humerous trying to keep up with how many are ready to cry foul seemingly unless some ficticious coach who is destined to win the next several national championships is hired. Me and some buddies were trying to come up with the best coaches in America today that still had 10 years left in the tank and had performed consistently for at least 5 years running (we agreed we would like a coach that has 10 years)

Saban-defensive minded, Myles-great recruiter/motivator, U Myers- offensive minded, B Stoops consistent, not sure if 10 years of fire in his belly left though, then we started scratching our heads...........seems most eveeryone has taken their lumps and been up and down.

So Malzahn, Smart, Patterson all look pretty good to us.......... I cannot think of what I would say is a big splash hire that has enough years left to make the investment in....... just one small group's opinion.

It will not be Malzahn! That comes from a member of his current staff who SAID that he had already turned Ark. down and would CERTAINLY not go to Auburn. He has a verbal commitment to stay there 3 years and intends to keep it. People are making sh.... up to sell stuff.

If this is true, then why didn't Malzahn say anything remotely like this last week when asked about the Auburn job?

Call him and ask him. He didn't say anything on the Palestinian Peace process either. Ask him that too.

Anything else you'd like me to ask the head coach of our Auburn Tigers?

Archived