Sporting News' Opinion on Auburn Hiring Petrino

DyeHardAllTheWay

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who will you root for if he does become the head coach at AU? When you answer, spare me the part about supporting the players. Because the players would support him.

Disclaimer: He is not my first choice, nor is this question directed at anyone specifically.

Who will you root for if he does become the head coach at AU? When you answer, spare me the part about supporting the players. Because the players would support him.

Disclaimer: He is not my first choice, nor is this question directed at anyone specifically.

Petrino would MAKE the players respect him. He doesn't fool around and act buddy buddy with the players like Chizik. Probably one of the most intimidating coaches I've ever seen.

I will root for him, the players and the school. This is way bigger than any of us or our pride.

Also...I'm hoping he has a complete life changing experience. What a Cinderella story that would be.

I will initially support whomever (or is it whoever?) is hired to be our next HC. I may #itch about the hire initially depending on who it is, but I will give him a chance. I admit I am pessimistic since Jay Jacobs is still the AD and Tim Jackson is still employed by AU. Petrino is not my choice not because of his personal failures but because of how he put his last employer in a bad situation by hiring his mistress. However; Petrino is the best available coach we can hire.

wde

Pat Dye broke down Petrino in a few words last week when he said to look at the condition Arkansas was in when he left. And also when he asked if he had ever won any kind of chanpionship. He is toxic IMO and we can do better.

Based on this article, Arkansas' recruiting has not been that great. http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-recruiting-rankings-do-they-matter-1

However, it is evident that Petrino can coach 'em up - even if he can't recruit them. However, I personally think it is harder to recruit at Auburn than Arkansas because Arky is the only real state school in Arkansas. We have to contend with Alabama. They contend with no one in Arky, but yet they still only achieved top 25 status.

I do not know who would be the right answer, but feel that Petrino is not that guy. He may be a great coach, but his reputation is completely tarnished and he would have an uphill battle if he came to AU that I am not sure he could overcome. Other coaches would not have the same uphill battle to fight so would be on better footing to improve the program from the start. I see no way that Petrino could be hired and repair this year's recruiting class. I predict an 8-5 record at best next year rehardless of who comes to AU. If a good coach was hired, with an impeccable record, they could land a lot of our current recruits and build toward the future. Whereas, Petrino would most likely lose the recruits this year and have to start an uphill climb back to prominence. In short, Petrino may be better in the long run, but short-term would be in a difficult situation that others would not be in.

How many coaches are out there that we can get that have won BCS championships honestly? Realistically, who can AU get? I like Petrino for his skills as a HC. He has been succesful everywhere he has been in the collegiate level. I do not want Gus sry. Jeff seems like a pipedream IMO. No to Jimbo.

Pat Dye broke down Petrino in a few words last week when he said to look at the condition Arkansas was in when he left. And also when he asked if he had ever won any kind of chanpionship. He is toxic IMO and we can do better.

Arkansas fell because Petrino was no longer on the sidelines. Same thing happened to Louisville. Some ULM beat writer wrote an article about just how much of a difference BP makes -- he is an offensive mastermind and the offense simply doesn't work without him. John L. Smith has admitted the same thing.

Petrino won the Big East Championship and played in a BCS bowl game at Arkansas, while going 21-5 in his last two seasons at Arkansas. But, yea, he has no credentials. FYI, Pat Dye endorsed Chizik when he was hired......

I will support any hire...even this one.

Based on this article, Arkansas' recruiting has not been that great. http://www.athlonspo...o-they-matter-1

However, it is evident that Petrino can coach 'em up - even if he can't recruit them. However, I personally think it is harder to recruit at Auburn than Arkansas because Arky is the only real state school in Arkansas. We have to contend with Alabama. They contend with no one in Arky, but yet they still only achieved top 25 status.

I do not know who would be the right answer, but feel that Petrino is not that guy. He may be a great coach, but his reputation is completely tarnished and he would have an uphill battle if he came to AU that I am not sure he could overcome. Other coaches would not have the same uphill battle to fight so would be on better footing to improve the program from the start. I see no way that Petrino could be hired and repair this year's recruiting class. I predict an 8-5 record at best next year rehardless of who comes to AU. If a good coach was hired, with an impeccable record, they could land a lot of our current recruits and build toward the future. Whereas, Petrino would most likely lose the recruits this year and have to start an uphill climb back to prominence. In short, Petrino may be better in the long run, but short-term would be in a difficult situation that others would not be in.

That's false. I live in Arkansas and I can tell you Auburn is more appealing than Arkansas. Ask Kodi, Dyer and KF who are three of Arkansas highest rated recruits. Yes, it isn't easy recruiting with Bama, but AU normally doesn't go after all the same players that Bama goes after based on different philosophy. We have always been able to recruit out of Georgia and we need to keep that pipeline.

He is not on my list. If we did hire him I would support him. The truth is, of all of the names mentioned, he could probably turn us around the quickest IMO. He is a very good HC IMO. Other than that there really isn't anything positive you can say about him IMO.

Dye also said Chiz would be back if he didn't win another game.

Sounds like he was reading my mind.

Petrino is so far and away my preference that it isn't even close...

He wins.

His players respect him, or they become "former players".

Our rivals' coaches fear him.

What's that about how he's left his other programs? They're loser after he leaves? Yeah, because he LEFT. He is the ONLY reason Arky and Louisville were contenders.

Recruiting...? Would you move to Little Rock? Heck no! I couldn't imagine how hard it is to recruit players to that place. I promise you he can recruit players to AU.

I just worry that our administration lacks the kahunas to make the hire...

Dumb.....That obviously shows how much his teams success revolve around HIS coaching.

And if I'm not mistaken, He did VERY well in Louisville. smh

WDE

Arkansas fell because Petrino was no longer on the sidelines. Same thing happened to Louisville. Some ULM beat writer wrote an article about just how much of a difference BP makes -- he is an offensive mastermind and the offense simply doesn't work without him. John L. Smith has admitted the same thing.

Then why waste HC money on him, just hire him as OC

http://www.al.com/au...bobby_petr.html

I say go for him. I don't see a better, more proven coach available to us. Hayes hit the nail on the head. We don't need a choirboy, we need a tough SOB.

A tough SOB? He was real tough at Louisville, ATL and Arky??

Um yeah.

I might question your premise (especially as regards potential future players),

but to answer your question -

I'm with him 'til he (inevitably?) screws Auburn too

Talking to a big Hog fan today about coaches. He blamed Petrino for all of Ark. problems this year. A little later went on to say "if yall hire him he may get booed at first, but after two years he will be able to run for mayor." I know that nothing he said is new, we all know it. I just am beginning to open up to the idea. If we want to WIN which is what we as Auburn fans expect. As much as it pains me, Petrino is our best shot.

Granted if JJ is canned, which doesn't look like its happening, there will be other avenues to pursue.

The media wants Petrino at Auburn yesterday. The media gets a ton of hits when Auburn takes hits and in their dwindling business (where beat writers have to go to pay sites to make a living) they need an extra helping of drama. Petrino is drama, Petrino is polarizing and Petrino is what the media need to make a living... as they suffered mightily under Chizik.

Articles telling Auburn what to do in terms of hiring a coach are the same as someone on this board making a statement about it.

Archived