Sporting News' Opinion on Auburn Hiring Petrino

DyeHardAllTheWay

Talking to a big Hog fan today about coaches. He blamed Petrino for all of Ark. problems this year. A little later went on to say "if yall hire him he may get booed at first, but after two years he will be able to run for mayor." I know that nothing he said is new, we all know it. I just am beginning to open up to the idea. If we want to WIN which is what we as Auburn fans expect. As much as it pains me, Petrino is our best shot.

Granted if JJ is canned, which doesn't look like its happening, there will be other avenues to pursue.

Im sold on BP being Auburn's best shot. I think James Franklin is better short term and long term. No baggage, good FB coach and he's a winner

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking to a big Hog fan today about coaches. He blamed Petrino for all of Ark. problems this year. A little later went on to say "if yall hire him he may get booed at first, but after two years he will be able to run for mayor." I know that nothing he said is new, we all know it. I just am beginning to open up to the idea. If we want to WIN which is what we as Auburn fans expect. As much as it pains me, Petrino is our best shot.

Granted if JJ is canned, which doesn't look like its happening, there will be other avenues to pursue.

Are you that gullable? Of course he's gonna blame BP, he's not there to prove him otherwise. You think he would credited BP if he was still their coach and had went to the NC game too? Which I might add was a very STRONG possibility made known by several sports writers. But....since he got fired they all fell apart. Hmm, kinda like Chiz....who do you think is the common denominator?.............?

I think Bobby Petrino is someone who can come in and right this ship. I know all the baggage problems but the man can coach football. It is not like our image hasn't been thrown in the mud the past couple of years anyway. I just do not think Auburn has enough intestinal fortitude to hire him. Sadly, I might add.

Im sold on BP being Auburn's best shot. I think James Franklin is better short term and long term. No baggage, good FB coach and he's a winner

THANK YOU!!!!! Good gah. Has nobody ever heard of James Franklin? How bout Gary Patterson? David Shaw?

Pat Dye broke down Petrino in a few words last week when he said to look at the condition Arkansas was in when he left. And also when he asked if he had ever won any kind of chanpionship.

All the more reason Petrino should be considered.

wde

Based on this article, Arkansas' recruiting has not been that great. http://www.athlonspo...o-they-matter-1

However, it is evident that Petrino can coach 'em up - even if he can't recruit them. However, I personally think it is harder to recruit at Auburn than Arkansas because Arky is the only real state school in Arkansas. We have to contend with Alabama. They contend with no one in Arky, but yet they still only achieved top 25 status.

I do not know who would be the right answer, but feel that Petrino is not that guy. He may be a great coach, but his reputation is completely tarnished and he would have an uphill battle if he came to AU that I am not sure he could overcome. Other coaches would not have the same uphill battle to fight so would be on better footing to improve the program from the start. I see no way that Petrino could be hired and repair this year's recruiting class. I predict an 8-5 record at best next year rehardless of who comes to AU. If a good coach was hired, with an impeccable record, they could land a lot of our current recruits and build toward the future. Whereas, Petrino would most likely lose the recruits this year and have to start an uphill climb back to prominence. In short, Petrino may be better in the long run, but short-term would be in a difficult situation that others would not be in.

That's false. I live in Arkansas and I can tell you Auburn is more appealing than Arkansas. Ask Kodi, Dyer and KF who are three of Arkansas highest rated recruits. Yes, it isn't easy recruiting with Bama, but AU normally doesn't go after all the same players that Bama goes after based on different philosophy. We have always been able to recruit out of Georgia and we need to keep that pipeline.

Thank you. I think you made my point. Who recruited Dyer and KF for Arky when they committed to AU? Completely agree on the GA pipeline, but I think BP's personality hurts with recruits. Couple that with his recent indescretions and you have a perfect storm. Point is.... He will have to prove that he is a changed man to woo our current targets back into the fold. I don't see that heppening until he proves he can come in and win so it will put us behind a year. I am only comparing BP and Saban here because they have similar personalities during recruiting. They are both somewhat aloof and have high standards. However, Saban has a great recruiting platform - come to Alabama, win a NC, and go pro. BP does not have that. He lost his reputation with his recent issues. He will have to completely rebuild his reputation and that may take time. It will not happen overnight, where another coach could come in and woo our current recruits and not have to start from behind the 8 ball.

Based on this article, Arkansas' recruiting has not been that great. http://www.athlonspo...o-they-matter-1

However, it is evident that Petrino can coach 'em up - even if he can't recruit them. However, I personally think it is harder to recruit at Auburn than Arkansas because Arky is the only real state school in Arkansas. We have to contend with Alabama. They contend with no one in Arky, but yet they still only achieved top 25 status.

I do not know who would be the right answer, but feel that Petrino is not that guy. He may be a great coach, but his reputation is completely tarnished and he would have an uphill battle if he came to AU that I am not sure he could overcome. Other coaches would not have the same uphill battle to fight so would be on better footing to improve the program from the start. I see no way that Petrino could be hired and repair this year's recruiting class. I predict an 8-5 record at best next year rehardless of who comes to AU. If a good coach was hired, with an impeccable record, they could land a lot of our current recruits and build toward the future. Whereas, Petrino would most likely lose the recruits this year and have to start an uphill climb back to prominence. In short, Petrino may be better in the long run, but short-term would be in a difficult situation that others would not be in.

That's false. I live in Arkansas and I can tell you Auburn is more appealing than Arkansas. Ask Kodi, Dyer and KF who are three of Arkansas highest rated recruits. Yes, it isn't easy recruiting with Bama, but AU normally doesn't go after all the same players that Bama goes after based on different philosophy. We have always been able to recruit out of Georgia and we need to keep that pipeline.

Thank you. I think you made my point. Who recruited Dyer and KF for Arky when they committed to AU? Completely agree on the GA pipeline, but I think BP's personality hurts with recruits. Couple that with his recent indescretions and you have a perfect storm. Point is.... He will have to prove that he is a changed man to woo our current targets back into the fold. I don't see that heppening until he proves he can come in and win so it will put us behind a year. I am only comparing BP and Saban here because they have similar personalities during recruiting. They are both somewhat aloof and have high standards. However, Saban has a great recruiting platform - come to Alabama, win a NC, and go pro. BP does not have that. He lost his reputation with his recent issues. He will have to completely rebuild his reputation and that may take time. It will not happen overnight, where another coach could come in and woo our current recruits and not have to start from behind the 8 ball.

Hence...James Franklin

Pat Dye broke down Petrino in a few words last week when he said to look at the condition Arkansas was in when he left. And also when he asked if he had ever won any kind of chanpionship. He is toxic IMO and we can do better.

I am not on BP bandwagon, but I am Way over Pat Dye's influence within AD.

Thanks for the Memories, now, be quiet and go away !

Are you that gullable? Of course he's gonna blame BP, he's not there to prove him otherwise. You think he would credited BP if he was still their coach and had went to the NC game too? Which I might add was a very STRONG possibility made known by several sports writers. But....since he got fired they all fell apart. Hmm, kinda like Chiz....who do you think is the common denominator?.............?

I don't think I would call it gullable. I took it as an endorsement for Petrino. Matter of fact, after reading your explanation, I took it pretty close to the same way as you did. When he said he blamed Petrino for this year. I knew he meant that the fact that they struggled this year was because they didn't have Petrino. How that becomes me being gulluble is beyond me, but your right.

A lot of people for some unknown reason would rather have an unproven hc in ksmart????!! Beats the hell out of me!! U have to b pretty dumb to give an asst coach a job like AU, when everyone should know who's defense he's running at bama

A lot of people for some unknown reason would rather have an unproven hc in ksmart????!! Beats the hell out of me!! U have to b pretty dumb to give an asst coach a job like AU, when everyone should know who's defense he's running at bama

So how do you think Muschamp has done? He was an asst. coach with no HC experience. UF doesn't look very dumb right about now. Just saying.

Why hire Petrino????? Because he develops quarterbacks!!! If you look at every team that is successful in our conference, each one has a good quarterback. I agree Petrino probably hasn't been a choir boy, but Auburn doesn't need a choir boy. Besides his sins are no greater than anyone else's so don't judge. Petrine is the only coach out there I see who can actually turn this thing around!

BP should be easy to sign...I think there are at least a dozen HC jobs open and I haven't seen his name of their lists. Offer him a thousand a month and access to the Tri Delta address list.

BP should be easy to sign...I think there are at least a dozen HC jobs open and I haven't seen his name of their lists. Offer him a thousand a month and access to the Tri Delta address list.

LOL....I love it, especaily the stack a month!

All the $atan (saban) worship by the media makes me sick. I don't think the Auburn job is the hardest in the country. I think, for a good coach, it can be the best job in the country. Unrelated, but tim Brando is the king of all douchebags.

Petrino or strong would be best in my opinion.

Who will you root for if he does become the head coach at AU? When you answer, spare me the part about supporting the players. Because the players would support him.

Disclaimer: He is not my first choice, nor is this question directed at anyone specifically.

Petrino would MAKE the players respect him. He doesn't fool around and act buddy buddy with the players like Chizik. Probably one of the most intimidating coaches I've ever seen.

One of the most intimidating coaches you have ever seen, huh. I have several questions for you, when did you see this character? If you did see it was it on t.v.? Have you ever met Bobby Petrino personally and seen the inside of a lockerroom with him or his players? How do you know the players would support him? All I see is your baseless, uncreduable opinion PERIOD. I may believe this if there was someone with personal knowledge, nobody really knows how he acts, how tough he really is without personal knowledge. I humbly ask you and everyone on this board if you really don't know, please don't lie to the rest of the board and say you do know. Thank you and everyone else from desisting in this behavior. carry on

Who will you root for if he does become the head coach at AU? When you answer, spare me the part about supporting the players. Because the players would support him.

Disclaimer: He is not my first choice, nor is this question directed at anyone specifically.

Petrino would MAKE the players respect him. He doesn't fool around and act buddy buddy with the players like Chizik. Probably one of the most intimidating coaches I've ever seen.

One of the most intimidating coaches you have ever seen, huh. I have several questions for you, when did you see this character? If you did see it was it on t.v.? Have you ever met Bobby Petrino personally and seen the inside of a lockerroom with him or his players? How do you know the players would support him? All I see is your baseless, uncreduable opinion PERIOD. I may believe this if there was someone with personal knowledge, nobody really knows how he acts, how tough he really is without personal knowledge. I humbly ask you and everyone on this board if you really don't know, please don't lie to the rest of the board and say you do know. Thank you and everyone else from desisting in this behavior. carry on

The only thing I can think of is his former players saying he was hard core and they feared him. But I don't know the players personally so they were probably lying.

So how do you think Muschamp has done? He was an asst. coach with no HC experience. UF doesn't look very dumb right about now. Just saying.

Since we're talking about asst coach's under saban, how did Dooley and sunseri do at UT? Just saying

The only thing I can think of is his former players saying he was hard core and they feared him. But I don't know the players personally so they were probably lying.

I don't think there are many players, even when Chizik was fired, that would voice their opinion negatively. Matter of fact I'm sure that every single one of those players, or a majority, behind closed doors is jumping up and down, now these are the competitors. I just read and derive inferences from players but that is all we really know. I'm not being an arse, but I just don't like opinions with not much of a basis. I think it would make your job easier if everyone wouldn't just voice opinions and provide facts. I am sorry I picked your post to nag on, but I can't go through a single thread without getting frustrated at all the hearsay, and opinions. I also know that what I ask for at this moment is most likely impossible just like the Tennessee and Arkansas fans who know someone who saw John Gruden at a 7-11 buying a big gulp with a Tennessee hat and contract in his hand. While at the very same time and place someone saw his wife real estate shopping in Arkansas with a pig hat on. I enjoy this board and appreciate the opportunity to have a free place to come together with fellow auburn fans and alumni, Thank You.

I don't think there are many players, even when Chizik was fired, that would voice their opinion negatively. Matter of fact I'm sure that every single one of those players, or a majority, behind closed doors is jumping up and down, now these are the competitors. I just read and derive inferences from players but that is all we really know. I'm not being an arse, but I just don't like opinions with not much of a basis. I think it would make your job easier if everyone wouldn't just voice opinions and provide facts. I am sorry I picked your post to nag on, but I can't go through a single thread without getting frustrated at all the hearsay, and opinions. I also know that what I ask for at this moment is most likely impossible just like the Tennessee and Arkansas fans who know someone who saw John Gruden at a 7-11 buying a big gulp with a Tennessee hat and contract in his hand. While at the very same time and place someone saw his wife real estate shopping in Arkansas with a pig hat on. I enjoy this board and appreciate the opportunity to have a free place to come together with fellow auburn fans and alumni, Thank You.

Touché

Because we read and do research. Ya know, that does help in forming an opinion. It has been stated over and over again by his peers and former players. I think that's a pretty good indication the man is a hard ass. Carry on sir.

I would love to cross examine you on your research, find out just how much you really know. If you would proffer the evidence of your research for all of us to know, then it wouldn't be a baseless opinion, but, what you just wrote was a baseless opinion.

How many coaches are out there that we can get that have won BCS championships honestly? Realistically, who can AU get? I like Petrino for his skills as a HC. He has been succesful everywhere he has been in the collegiate level. I do not want Gus sry. Jeff seems like a pipedream IMO. No to Jimbo.

I keep reading where people are putting different coaches down saying that they have never won a championship. (Not in this thread but others.) With Chizik’s firing there are currently only 7 active college coaches that have won a national championship.

Steve Spurrier – ’12 South Carolina (Florida ’96)

Bob Stoops – ’12 Oklahoma (Oklahoma ’00)

Larry Coker – ’12 Texas San Antonio (Miami ’01)

Nick Saban – ‘ 12 Alabama (LSU ’03 & Alabama ’09 & ’11)

Mack Brown – ’12 Texas (Texas ’05)

Urban Meyer – ’12 Ohio State (Florida ’06 & ’08)

Les Myles – ’12 LSU (LSU ’07)

There’s also Pete Carroll with the Seahawks (USC ’04), Jim Tressell out of coaching (Ohio State ’02), and Phil Fulmer out of coaching (Tennessee ’98.)

The point is there just aren’t that many out there.

Archived