Sporting News' Opinion on Auburn Hiring Petrino

DyeHardAllTheWay

I will initially support whomever (or is it whoever?) is hired to be our next HC. I may #itch about the hire initially depending on who it is, but I will give him a chance. I admit I am pessimistic since Jay Jacobs is still the AD and Tim Jackson is still employed by AU. Petrino is not my choice not because of his personal failures but because of how he put his last employer in a bad situation by hiring his mistress. However; Petrino is the best available coach we can hire.

wde

Getting the mistress a job seems the natural and decent thing to do.

Pat Dye broke down Petrino in a few words last week when he said to look at the condition Arkansas was in when he left. And also when he asked if he had ever won any kind of chanpionship. He is toxic IMO and we can do better.

Arkansas was alright until they canned Petrino. He didn't leave them in the lurch.

Based on this article, Arkansas' recruiting has not been that great. http://www.athlonspo...o-they-matter-1

However, it is evident that Petrino can coach 'em up - even if he can't recruit them. However, I personally think it is harder to recruit at Auburn than Arkansas because Arky is the only real state school in Arkansas. We have to contend with Alabama. They contend with no one in Arky, but yet they still only achieved top 25 status.

I do not know who would be the right answer, but feel that Petrino is not that guy. He may be a great coach, but his reputation is completely tarnished and he would have an uphill battle if he came to AU that I am not sure he could overcome. Other coaches would not have the same uphill battle to fight so would be on better footing to improve the program from the start. I see no way that Petrino could be hired and repair this year's recruiting class. I predict an 8-5 record at best next year rehardless of who comes to AU. If a good coach was hired, , programsrecord, they could land a lot of our current recruits and build toward the future. Whereas, Petrino would most likely lose the recruits this year and have to start an uphill climb back to prominence. In short, Petrino may be better in the long run, but short-term would be in a difficult situation that others would not be in.

All doom and gloom. Petrino brought a lot of talented players to UA-look at NFL rosters. He has the SEC and Auburn background. He can step in right now and get going in salvaging this recruiting class. Saban had a tarnished reputation as a liar and mean SOB when the creeps hired him out of desperation. "He may be a great coach,but"...are you kidding me? Just stop with great coach. Petrino is a proven winner at big-time,not to mention SEC,programs. Petrino is not a bad guy-he's colorful. Because of that,he's available. And he runs clean programs.

Sounds like he was reading my mind.

Petrino is so far and away my preference that it isn't even close...

He wins.

His players respect him, or they become "former players".

Our rivals' coaches fear him.

What's that about how he's left his other programs? They're loser after he leaves? Yeah, because he LEFT. He is the ONLY reason Arky and Louisville were contenders.

Recruiting...? Would you move to Little Rock? Heck no! I couldn't imagine how hard it is to recruit players to that place. I promise you he can recruit players to AU.

I just worry that our administration lacks the kahunas to make the hire...

I agree.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on this article, Arkansas' recruiting has not been that great. http://www.athlonspo...o-they-matter-1

However, it is evident that Petrino can coach 'em up - even if he can't recruit them. However, I personally think it is harder to recruit at Auburn than Arkansas because Arky is the only real state school in Arkansas. We have to contend with Alabama. They contend with no one in Arky, but yet they still only achieved top 25 status.

I do not know who would be the right answer, but feel that Petrino is not that guy. He may be a great coach, but his reputation is completely tarnished and he would have an uphill battle if he came to AU that I am not sure he could overcome. Other coaches would not have the same uphill battle to fight so would be on better footing to improve the program from the start. I see no way that Petrino could be hired and repair this year's recruiting class. I predict an 8-5 record at best next year rehardless of who comes to AU. If a good coach was hired, with an impeccable record, they could land a lot of our current recruits and build toward the future. Whereas, Petrino would most likely lose the recruits this year and have to start an uphill climb back to prominence. In short, Petrino may be better in the long run, but short-term would be in a difficult situation that others would not be in.

If he hired Whitt, Jr again; Whitt, Jr would bring in the recruits. Harry Douglas told me some good things about him a few years back.

I am on the CBP train, wagon, merry go round , plane whatever. Hire the man already, dang!! Everybody knows he IS the RIGHT fit for Auburn, in spite of the very few naysayers on this board. It has come to my understanding that according to recent and past polls the higher % of Auburn supporters supports the hiring of CBP. Give the people what they want, for Heaven's sake!!

I would love to cross examine you on your research, find out just how much you really know. If you would proffer the evidence of your research for all of us to know, then it wouldn't be a baseless opinion, but, what you just wrote was a baseless opinion.

I don't have to offer evidence. Anyone can read articles written about the man. So, I guess to humor your sarcastic inquiry, no I have never personally seen BP around his players. I have to inquire as to how do you know he doesn't or isn't. Since you are so sure of yourself I'm sure you could enlighten all of us opinionated podunks with your grand wisdom of everything.

I am on the CBP train, wagon, merry go round , plane whatever. Hire the man already, dang!! Everybody knows he IS the RIGHT fit for Auburn, in spite of the very few naysayers on this board. It has come to my understanding that according to recent and past polls the higher % of Auburn supporters supports the hiring of CBP. Give the people what they want, for Heaven's sake!!

This must be a joke. I see the same dozen names all over the AU sports blogs pushing BP....so don't give us that crap about polls and AU alums favoring BP. And by the way....who is our competition? I haven't seen any school other than AU willing to reach down into that gutter.

I would love to cross examine you on your research, find out just how much you really know. If you would proffer the evidence of your research for all of us to know, then it wouldn't be a baseless opinion, but, what you just wrote was a baseless opinion.

I don't have to offer evidence. Anyone can read articles written about the man. So, I guess to humor your sarcastic inquiry, no I have never personally seen BP around his players. I have to inquire as to how do you know he doesn't or isn't. Since you are so sure of yourself I'm sure you could enlighten all of us opinionated podunks with your grand wisdom of everything.

Let it go, ltdan. The guy must've had a bad day or something. It don't mean nothing… don't mean a thing.

So we have an inference on where you are getting your research, it is the internet, we all know that you can believe anything you read on there. If you read expert opinions when Cameron Newton allegedly took money from Auburn the whole nation thought he did. This is exactly what you are doing. I'm not having a bad day, I'm tired of baseless opinions. I could tell you I heard that, Sean Payton was going to be our headcoach and that I did alot of research on the internet that a written by people who have as much of a clue that you do about Bobby Petrino. All I am saying is you are making yourself look ignorant, I'm not trying to pick a fight, you are an Auburn fan and I expect better.

So we have an inference on where you are getting your research, it is the internet, we all know that you can believe anything you read on there. If you read expert opinions when Cameron Newton allegedly took money from Auburn the whole nation thought he did. This is exactly what you are doing. I'm not having a bad day, I'm tired of baseless opinions. I could tell you I heard that, Sean Payton was going to be our headcoach and that I did alot of research on the internet that a written by people who have as much of a clue that you do about Bobby Petrino. All I am saying is you are making yourself look ignorant, I'm not trying to pick a fight, you are an Auburn fan and I expect better.

I understand your premise, I'm not so naive as to believe everything that's put on the internet. That said, EVERYTHING I have ever read , ever, in reference to his coaching demeanor suggests he is a strict, disciplinarian coach. Wde. I'll leave it at that.

I do not know who would be the right answer, but feel that Petrino is not that guy. He may be a great coach, but his reputation is completely tarnished and he would have an uphill battle if he came to AU that I am not sure he could overcome. Other coaches would not have the same uphill battle to fight so would be on better footing to improve the program from the start. I see no way that Petrino could be hired and repair this year's recruiting class. I predict an 8-5 record at best next year rehardless of who comes to AU. If a good coach was hired, with an impeccable record, they could land a lot of our current recruits and build toward the future. Whereas, Petrino would most likely lose the recruits this year and have to start an uphill climb back to prominence. In short, Petrino may be better in the long run, but short-term would be in a difficult situation that others would not be in.

That's false. I live in Arkansas and I can tell you Auburn is more appealing than Arkansas. Ask Kodi, Dyer and KF who are three of Arkansas highest rated recruits. Yes, it isn't easy recruiting with Bama, but AU normally doesn't go after all the same players that Bama goes after based on different philosophy. We have always been able to recruit out of Georgia and we need to keep that pipeline.

Thank you. I think you made my point. Who recruited Dyer and KF for Arky when they committed to AU? Completely agree on the GA pipeline, but I think BP's personality hurts with recruits. Couple that with his recent indescretions and you have a perfect storm. Point is.... He will have to prove that he is a changed man to woo our current targets back into the fold. I don't see that heppening until he proves he can come in and win so it will put us behind a year. I am only comparing BP and Saban here because they have similar personalities during recruiting. They are both somewhat aloof and have high standards. However, Saban has a great recruiting platform - come to Alabama, win a NC, and go pro. BP does not have that. He lost his reputation with his recent issues. He will have to completely rebuild his reputation and that may take time. It will not happen overnight, where another coach could come in and woo our current recruits and not have to start from behind the 8 ball.

winning cures all. If he came in and won with the current players....and he will because we all agree that there is as much talent on this team as any top echelon SEC team....then he should have no problem recruiting to Auburn. Auburn recruits itself....and Petrino puts players in the NFL, too.

Pat Dye broke down Petrino in a few words last week when he said to look at the condition Arkansas was in when he left. And also when he asked if he had ever won any kind of chanpionship. He is toxic IMO and we can do better.

Pat also said he wouldn't trade Chizik for 10 Sabans and that Chizik would be back next year even if he didn't win another game. Alcohol has fried his brain.

People will be up in arms if he is hired, but when we win 9 games next year people will love him.

Auburn's perceived as a dirty program across the nation, so instead of being thought of as dirty and losing games we might as well win games with that reputation --> Petrino.

The reputation will not change no matter who Auburn hires. The damage has been done with the ACCUSATION of wrongdoing because of Cam Newton, there is no repairing that. Allegations alter perception just as much as reality.

Anybody think R. Kelly isn't a pedofile? He was ruled innocent from the charge he was fighting but he will be remembered for that just as Cam Newton and Auburn will bring up "cheating" memories across the nation regardless even if the next coach at Auburn is the pope.

Who will you root for if he does become the head coach at AU? When you answer, spare me the part about supporting the players. Because the players would support him.

Disclaimer: He is not my first choice, nor is this question directed at anyone specifically.

That's a great question and I've been thinking about it. The best I can answer is that I'd support him and the players and AU. If he ends his career at AU as a great coach or has great seasons at AU and goes about taking a new job in a respectful manner then I'll be happy we hired him and admit that my mistake. If he reverts back to his previous behavior, I'll say "I told you so" and if the people responsible for hiring him are still around I'll call for their ouster.

If he could recruit better than he did at Arkansas and actually put together a defense then I would support him. I just remember his defense being weak at Arkansas.

This must be a joke. I see the same dozen names all over the AU sports blogs pushing BP....so don't give us that crap about polls and AU alums favoring BP. And by the way....who is our competition? I haven't seen any school other than AU willing to reach down into that gutter.

Sorry you feel that way. Not really. In the latest poll submitted asking who was thought to be the next hire. There were about 7 or 8 candidates, I believe CBP led that poll as well as many others so, while you have your opinion as to who you want that is all right by me. There is one thing I must say, I believe there are only two true candidates that can lead us out of this rut CGC has left us in, that meets the criteria that JJ said he was looking for and those are CBP and Jimbo Fisher. Everyone else falls short or are not interested in leaving their current jobs.

I would say something in reference to your response to my previous post but it is not worth the trouble. War Eagle

I almost get the feeling like those that do not have AU's best interests are turning BP away from AU. AL media and SEC office. Just a feeling no proof.

It would show them we are not bowing down to their wishes. Recruiting short term would be questionable, and I respect those who have that opinion.

I do want BP to be hired, but only after we make about 5 phone calls and pony up all kinds of $$. I actually want a call to be made to saban's agent and make him say no.

Hire the best available. Petrino. I'd rather win and deal with jokes, than lose with Auburn's good ole boy network version of a "good guy."

Remember how many jokes we made against Alabama and Saban for the first season they hired him? We're not laughing anymore...Now its our turn!

Are you guys CRAZY???? You would have to fire every female that worked within a mile of the athletic complex in order to keep

AU from being sued!!! If you ran a business, would you hire someone who would put your business in jeopardy by his actions???

Who knows what Arkansas is having to pay out to that girl under the table. Any decent CEO/President would not touch him with a 10 foot pole!

He's a creep and I have heard more than one donor say that they would pull their support from Auburn if he is hired.

Are you guys CRAZY???? You would have to fire every female that worked within a mile of the athletic complex in order to keep

AU from being sued!!! If you ran a business, would you hire someone who would put your business in jeopardy by his actions???

Who knows what Arkansas is having to pay out to that girl under the table. Any decent CEO/President would not touch him with a 10 foot pole!

He's a creep and I have heard more than one donor say that they would pull their support from Auburn if he is hired.

I agree to an extent. But, the donors I talk to say the complete opposite. Go figure.

Hire the best available. Petrino. I'd rather win and deal with jokes, than lose with Auburn's good ole boy network version of a "good guy."

Remember how many jokes we made against Alabama and Saban for the first season they hired him? We're not laughing anymore...Now its our turn!

Exactly. We criticized them for hiring Saban but now we're getting crushed by them every year almost. We gotta get down in the mud with the elephants if we want to beat them. They hired a rat, so we need to hire a snake.

Petrino needs to get hired and bring in an us against the world attitude. Auburn will never be a media darling, so I say screw em! Every other school outside of aTm and maybe Mizzou hate Auburn just like the media and most of the country for whatever reason.

austintiger speaks the truth. for those of us that live outside of Alabama, we hear it every day, (Auburn cheats) its all over the radio every time Auburn is brought up. If AU isn't going to go after David Shaw or Petterson, they are not going after the best candidates.

Nothing for or against Petrino, but there is not a classic Petrino type QB on the roster. Wallace, Frazier, nor Moseley, will never come close to Ryan Mallett or Tyler Wilson. None of the RBs are big enough either. A Petrino hire means at least one more year of severe struggles, unless he were to pull a rabbit out of the hat from the JUCO ranks. The roster is not suited for a Petrino offense. It would get there in time.

Archived