Sporting News' Opinion on Auburn Hiring Petrino

DyeHardAllTheWay

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also why do people want James Franklin so bad? He is 14-11 at Vandy? To me not a homerun hire more like a bunt. But hey just my opinion.

I've been a longtime lurker and finally registered just to attempt to answer this question based on my own opinion.

I've been an Auburn fan since the first time I saw them back in the mid-80's. And guess where I saw that game? Vanderbilt Stadium. You see when I was a kid in middle Tennessee, my dad was a huge Vandy fan and we had season tickets. I saw tons of great players back in the day going to those VU games and almost all of them played for the visiting team. My dad said I became an AU fan when i saw Brent Fullwood break off a huge run one Saturday afternoon in Nashville, though I can't rember the specific moment myself. So not only have I seen a lot of AU football over the years, I've seen plenty of Vandy as well, and still hold a soft spot for them in my heart.

Franklin is my top choice. Read on if you are interested in hearing why.

He is 14-11 at Vandy?

No, no, no. It should be : "He's 14-11 at Vandy!"

In two years at the absolute worst program in the SEC, James Franklin has a winning record. In the two years prior to Franklin's arrival Vandy was 4-20 (2-10 in each of those years). In his two seasons there he's gone 6-7 and 8-4 and he's taken Vanderbilt to back to back bowl games, something that has never happened before. He improved them from 2-6 in 2011 to 5-3 in 2012 in SEC games. Its the first time they've had a winning record in conference play sice 1982, which was also the last time they won 8 games prior to this year.

He's recruited incredibly considering Vandy's history. He's passionate and firey. He's young and energetic. He's tenacious and isn't afraid to go head to head with anyone. He is everything that we need right now at AU. Unfortunately, I don't think our decision makers are smart enough to realize that and hire him.

Sooner or later he's going to leave Vandy and go to a big name school and win...a lot. Its going to suck to look back and say, "Man, we had a chance at that guy. How did we not hire him?"

Really? We want the front page of the news to read:

AUBURN HIRES THIS GUY

bobby-petrino-p1.jpg

WHEN, not if, WHEN he wins, all you "holier than thou" people will shut up and climb aboard the bandwagon.

So... Will it be okay for me to hop back off when he goes to court for hiring his little girlfriend and breaking the law?

Really? We want the front page of the news to read:

AUBURN HIRES THIS GUY

bobby-petrino-p1.jpg

WHEN, not if, WHEN he wins, all you "holier than thou" people will shut up and climb aboard the bandwagon.

Just so you know this is not true.

People will be up in arms if he is hired, but when we win 9 games next year people will love him.

Auburn's perceived as a dirty program across the nation, so instead of being thought of as dirty and losing games we might as well win games with that reputation --> Petrino.

The reputation will not change no matter who Auburn hires. The damage has been done with the ACCUSATION of wrongdoing because of Cam Newton, there is no repairing that. Allegations alter perception just as much as reality.

Anybody think R. Kelly isn't a pedofile? He was ruled innocent from the charge he was fighting but he will be remembered for that just as Cam Newton and Auburn will bring up "cheating" memories across the nation regardless even if the next coach at Auburn is the pope.

I don't see nuthin wrong...with a lil bump n grind

Yes, what Petrino did is wrong and it is awful. But I GUARANTEE there will be conditions in his contract preventing him from doing things like this. Auburn would be fortunate to have a COACH, which is what he's paid to be, btw, of his caliber, instead of a choirboy. He wins everywhere he goes and the myth that he leaves behind a mess is simply not true. He left Louisville in the best shape they'd ever been in and left them plenty of talent. Same with Arkansas. Based on what returning talent they had, there's a reason why they were ranked in the top 10. Petrino is a winner. And that's what we need.

A lot of people for some unknown reason would rather have an unproven hc in ksmart????!! Beats the hell out of me!! U have to b pretty dumb to give an asst coach a job like AU, when everyone should know who's defense he's running at bama

So how do you think Muschamp has done? He was an asst. coach with no HC experience. UF doesn't look very dumb right about now. Just saying.

Since we're talking about asst coach's under saban, how did Dooley and sunseri do at UT? Just saying

Dooley did just about what everybody expected him to do. He had HC experience and was mediocre at the mid-level. He is just living off of his last name IMO. IMO a person has to be pretty dumb to think Smart won't make a good HC. Yes saban knows D. His D's have never been as good as they have under Samrt. Has saban gotten smarter or does he have the best DC he has ever had? I think saban has coached long enough, and had enough different DC's, to figure that one out.

Also why do people want James Franklin so bad? He is 14-11 at Vandy? To me not a homerun hire more like a bunt. But hey just my opinion.

I've been a longtime lurker and finally registered just to attempt to answer this question based on my own opinion.

I've been an Auburn fan since the first time I saw them back in the mid-80's. And guess where I saw that game? Vanderbilt Stadium. You see when I was a kid in middle Tennessee, my dad was a huge Vandy fan and we had season tickets. I saw tons of great players back in the day going to those VU games and almost all of them played for the visiting team. My dad said I became an AU fan when i saw Brent Fullwood break off a huge run one Saturday afternoon in Nashville, though I can't rember the specific moment myself. So not only have I seen a lot of AU football over the years, I've seen plenty of Vandy as well, and still hold a soft spot for them in my heart.

Franklin is my top choice. Read on if you are interested in hearing why.

He is 14-11 at Vandy?

No, no, no. It should be : "He's 14-11 at Vandy!"

In two years at the absolute worst program in the SEC, James Franklin has a winning record. In the two years prior to Franklin's arrival Vandy was 4-20 (2-10 in each of those years). In his two seasons there he's gone 6-7 and 8-4 and he's taken Vanderbilt to back to back bowl games, something that has never happened before. He improved them from 2-6 in 2011 to 5-3 in 2012 in SEC games. Its the first time they've had a winning record in conference play sice 1982, which was also the last time they won 8 games prior to this year.

He's recruited incredibly considering Vandy's history. He's passionate and firey. He's young and energetic. He's tenacious and isn't afraid to go head to head with anyone. He is everything that we need right now at AU. Unfortunately, I don't think our decision makers are smart enough to realize that and hire him.

Sooner or later he's going to leave Vandy and go to a big name school and win...a lot. Its going to suck to look back and say, "Man, we had a chance at that guy. How did we not hire him?"

Nice post. He's not my first choice but he's close.

We can go on for the next 15 years about whether or not we should or should not hire Bobby Petrino as our next HC. Bamma has no room to complain in that Saban was not the choir boy sent from heaven to coach their team. I like others, do not like Saban and never will. Bamma wanted a coaching soldier of fortune and got their man in Saban. It took 5 million $$$ for Saban to even answer his phone when bamma came calling. So if they start in on Petrino if we hire him, we will have our guns loaded for bear.

OK, lets say we hire Petrino. Many folks who screw up big time, consider themselves blessed to get another chance to redeem themselves and learn how to walk on the straight and narrow. Petrino should be given the chance if he is hired by Auburn to show how he has been redeemed and is now walking the straight and narrow. I am willing to give the man the chance to prove himself on and off of the field. I have been given the chance to redeem myself during my life and am willing to offer the same to Bobby Petrino if he is chosen the next HC at Auburn.

Well I guess this is as good a spot as any for my first post here. Let me say first of all that Petrino obviously knows football. That being said, I have been down on Petrino since he left the Atlanta Falcons sneaking out in the midst of the Michael Vick controversy. His baggage will have a potentially negative impact in the living rooms of high school recruits making decisions with mom and dad. Not every recruit, but it will matter to some moms out there.

Some influential Auburn alumni I have spoken with have vowed to be done with the football program if Petrino is hired. Petrino is damaged goods and will be a divisive hire. He perhaps deserves a second chance, but perhaps he needs to earn his way back to the SEC first.

Well I guess this is as good a spot as any for my first post here. Let me say first of all that Petrino obviously knows football. That being said, I have been down on Petrino since he left the Atlanta Falcons sneaking out in the midst of the Michael Vick controversy. His baggage will have a potentially negative impact in the living rooms of high school recruits making decisions with mom and dad. Not every recruit, but it will matter to some moms out there.

Some influential Auburn alumni I have spoken with have vowed to be done with the football program if Petrino is hired. Petrino is damaged goods and will be a divisive hire. He perhaps deserves a second chance, but perhaps he needs to earn his way back to the SEC first.

There's definitely some negatives that could arise with a potential BP hire, no doubt about it. The question is and will be if the positives outweigh those negatives. This one is tricky and not easily answered in my opinion.

Are you guys CRAZY???? You would have to fire every female that worked within a mile of the athletic complex in order to keep

AU from being sued!!! If you ran a business, would you hire someone who would put your business in jeopardy by his actions???

Who knows what Arkansas is having to pay out to that girl under the table. Any decent CEO/President would not touch him with a 10 foot pole!

He's a creep and I have heard more than one donor say that they would pull their support from Auburn if he is hired.

Oh please, get a grip. You act like the guy is Ted Bundy. Believe me Auburn has had very successful coaches who were top tier philanderers in the past. The guy is a football coach not the Archbishop of Canterbury for God's sake. No one who is not dopey is pulling their financial support for AU because they hire Bobby 75-26 Petrino..

If this Sporting News article really speaks to your perspective and you support Petrino regardless of ANYTHING that might be said or you "just want to win" and you think he is the one and only man in America who can resurrect AU into a once again proud football program, then save yourself some time and read no more. For the rest, sorry for the length. I did consider breaking it into a 2 volume set...

IF the ONLY issue with Petrino was that he had an affair at Arkansas, then this would be an easier conversation to have and words like redemption and forgiveness, etc., as some have mentioned might be appropriate.

What the vast majority of the Petrino to AU advocates posting here apparently believe is the reason some AU alumni and fans (including me) are against hiring him is because we are "holier than thou" or "can't forgive" and they think "it's all about the affair." Guess what? You're wrong in my case and I suspect in many other's. Sure, his affair is not a good thing when you consider that as a HC at Arkansas he and his GF exchanged THOUSANDS of texts every month. http://deadspin.com/5901201 So, I ask you, how long does it take to think about and write that many texts and then wait for the response and then write back and then...?? The answer is "A LOT!!" So while he was muskratting around with his GF, spending time planning his next rendezvous, who was actually running the Arkansas football program since this was in full swing during the fall? Would you really want a guy who is being paid MILLIONS of $$$ to run your football program with that kind of JUDGMENT and SELF-CENTERED/SELFISH ATTITUDE? Notice I didn't say MORALS. Let me add this. What if he was texting or "sexting" to include photos with not just one woman who isn't his wife, but several? And what if some of the most embarrassing photos and texts are still out there like a ticking time bomb just waiting for the most opportune time to be leaked and go off, and somebody decides that the right time is when he is wearing an AU hat again? How do you like him now?

Okay, what about hiring his GF? Some here have made off-hand comments like this is no big deal or even they might do the same thing, wink wink, nod nod. Yeah that's great. Here's an idea: why don't we set up a hiring scheme in the AD, that ultimately disenfranchises about 150 other applicants, when I suspect a large number were actually more qualified? Can you say HUGE potential liability issues? Once again, would you want a guy running your football program with this kind of JUDGMENT and because of his SELF-CENTERED/SELFISH ATTITUDE places your institution in that vulnerable of a position? Again, notice I said nothing about his MORALS.

Okay, what about the lying to his boss and the state police? So, it's okay to lie if you can get away with it and he certainly should try to get away with it so he had to lie?? Is that pretty much the rationalization there? I ask again, is this guy (who once again showed poor JUDGMENT), the guy you want to lead the most visible program at your entire university and essentially to become the "face" of your university to the rest of the world? Notice again, I said nothing about his MORALS.

Okay, what about leaving Louisville and Atlanta. It seems reasonable to me that when an ambitious coach can move up, he does. We all might do the same thing in our own jobs. However, in at least the ATL case, he left before the season was over to take another job. This is simply not done in college or the pros, ever. But because it seems it is ALWAYS about him, he did it. He shouldn't have left ATL before the season was over and Arkie shouldn't have expected him to leave. Then not even having the stones to tell his team in person but instead putting notes in the players lockers shows me another untidy facet of his personality: lack of LOYALTY to anyone but himself.

Is AU now really so desperate to win at any cost that despite these HUGE flags that would eliminate a candidate for management in any of our own businesses, we are willing to take this RISK in hiring the multimillion dollar CEO of the AU football team? Is there really only ONE football coach in America now that can coach and unfortunately he has all of these flaws and we just have to accept them? Never mind that nobody knows how this could all play out and these negatives could actually outweigh all the positives including he has a brilliant offensive football mind? Is there really no other coach in America that could possibly fit AU better than a hire that will surely be as divisive as a Petrino hire would be to AU alumni and fans?

Whether he has "turned over a new leaf" or become "a changed man" and is truly contrite about his infidelity in Arkansas is irrelevant in this discussion. While I suspect it is contrition of convenience and he is mostly sorry that he got caught, I hope he actually has. But you don't typically change deeply rooted personality flaws (like those discussed previously) and certainly not in relatively short periods of time. Regardless, are you prepared to "bet the farm on it"?

Despite the suggestions of his supporters, this really isn't a moral issue. In the face of compelling evidence that he not only lacks organizational LOYALTY, but that he also is very SELF-CENTERED/SELF SERVING, lacks good JUDGMENT and CANNOT BE TRUSTED, the RISK for hiring Petrino is simply too high. That's the bottom line for me.

I would accept Petrino on one condition: That he coach at least two years for free as penance.

Otherwise what lesson has he learned from being fired after having been caught with his mistress/secretary? That it's okay to do all of that mess because you're a hot commodity in the coaching world and will be picked up by a school in equal standing of the one that released you? I'm sure $2-3M a year is a hard lesson to learn...

I would accept Petrino on one condition: That he coach at least two years for free as penance.

Otherwise what lesson has he learned from being fired after having been caught with his mistress/secretary? That it's okay to do all of that mess because you're a hot commodity in the coaching world and will be picked up by a school in equal standing of the one that released you? I'm sure $2-3M a year is a hard lesson to learn...

How about national media attention, a horrible picture in a neck brace, nearly ruining a girls reputation, his 4 kids finding out about his actions, facing his wife, and losing his job. I agree that his contract should be loaded with clauses, but we could come out in a press conference mad as hell saying we're giving him a chance, he's on a short rope, and his paycheck will be much smaller than the rest of SEC coaches. <----- this part will also help us on these ridiculous $11 million dollar buyouts Jay Jacobs guaranteed. Any executive in a corporation would be FIRED on the spot for losing that much money, but not Auburn.

If this Sporting News article really speaks to your perspective and you support Petrino regardless of ANYTHING that might be said or you "just want to win" and you think he is the one and only man in America who can resurrect AU into a once again proud football program, then save yourself some time and read no more. For the rest, sorry for the length. I did consider breaking it into a 2 volume set...

IF the ONLY issue with Petrino was that he had an affair at Arkansas, then this would be an easier conversation to have and words like redemption and forgiveness, etc., as some have mentioned might be appropriate.

What the vast majority of the Petrino to AU advocates posting here apparently believe is the reason some AU alumni and fans (including me) are against hiring him is because we are "holier than thou" or "can't forgive" and they think "it's all about the affair." Guess what? You're wrong in my case and I suspect in many other's. Sure, his affair is not a good thing when you consider that as a HC at Arkansas he and his GF exchanged THOUSANDS of texts every month. http://deadspin.com/5901201 So, I ask you, how long does it take to think about and write that many texts and then wait for the response and then write back and then...?? The answer is "A LOT!!" So while he was muskratting around with his GF, spending time planning his next rendezvous, who was actually running the Arkansas football program since this was in full swing during the fall? Would you really want a guy who is being paid MILLIONS of $$$ to run your football program with that kind of JUDGMENT and SELF-CENTERED/SELFISH ATTITUDE? Notice I didn't say MORALS. Let me add this. What if he was texting or "sexting" to include photos with not just one woman who isn't his wife, but several? And what if some of the most embarrassing photos and texts are still out there like a ticking time bomb just waiting for the most opportune time to be leaked and go off, and somebody decides that the right time is when he is wearing an AU hat again? How do you like him now?

Okay, what about hiring his GF? Some here have made off-hand comments like this is no big deal or even they might do the same thing, wink wink, nod nod. Yeah that's great. Here's an idea: why don't we set up a hiring scheme in the AD, that ultimately disenfranchises about 150 other applicants, when I suspect a large number were actually more qualified? Can you say HUGE potential liability issues? Once again, would you want a guy running your football program with this kind of JUDGMENT and because of his SELF-CENTERED/SELFISH ATTITUDE places your institution in that vulnerable of a position? Again, notice I said nothing about his MORALS.

Okay, what about the lying to his boss and the state police? So, it's okay to lie if you can get away with it and he certainly should try to get away with it so he had to lie?? Is that pretty much the rationalization there? I ask again, is this guy (who once again showed poor JUDGMENT), the guy you want to lead the most visible program at your entire university and essentially to become the "face" of your university to the rest of the world? Notice again, I said nothing about his MORALS.

Okay, what about leaving Louisville and Atlanta. It seems reasonable to me that when an ambitious coach can move up, he does. We all might do the same thing in our own jobs. However, in at least the ATL case, he left before the season was over to take another job. This is simply not done in college or the pros, ever. But because it seems it is ALWAYS about him, he did it. He shouldn't have left ATL before the season was over and Arkie shouldn't have expected him to leave. Then not even having the stones to tell his team in person but instead putting notes in the players lockers shows me another untidy facet of his personality: lack of LOYALTY to anyone but himself.

Is AU now really so desperate to win at any cost that despite these HUGE flags that would eliminate a candidate for management in any of our own businesses, we are willing to take this RISK in hiring the multimillion dollar CEO of the AU football team? Is there really only ONE football coach in America now that can coach and unfortunately he has all of these flaws and we just have to accept them? Never mind that nobody knows how this could all play out and these negatives could actually outweigh all the positives including he has a brilliant offensive football mind? Is there really no other coach in America that could possibly fit AU better than a hire that will surely be as divisive as a Petrino hire would be to AU alumni and fans?

Whether he has "turned over a new leaf" or become "a changed man" and is truly contrite about his infidelity in Arkansas is irrelevant in this discussion. While I suspect it is contrition of convenience and he is mostly sorry that he got caught, I hope he actually has. But you don't typically change deeply rooted personality flaws (like those discussed previously) and certainly not in relatively short periods of time. Regardless, are you prepared to "bet the farm on it"?

Despite the suggestions of his supporters, this really isn't a moral issue. In the face of compelling evidence that he not only lacks organizational LOYALTY, but that he also is very SELF-CENTERED/SELF SERVING, lacks good JUDGMENT and CANNOT BE TRUSTED, the RISK for hiring Petrino is simply too high. That's the bottom line for me.

+1

Archived