Sporting News' Opinion on Auburn Hiring Petrino

DyeHardAllTheWay

http://www.al.com/au...bobby_petr.html

I say go for him. I don't see a better, more proven coach available to us. Hayes hit the nail on the head. We don't need a choirboy, we need a tough SOB.

How many times does Petrino have to give us the shaft before you people will get the word that he is irresponsible and undependable? He already walked out on us once at the most imopportune time possible. He did the same to LOouisville and Atlanta. He'll do it to everyone he works for. It makes him feel important. We'd be foolihs to let him do taht to us again.

When Petrino left Auburn, he only did what all great assistants do. He was offered a HC job, and he took it. He was successful at that job, so he did what most successful college coaches do, and took a job in the NFL. Once there, he realized that the NFL is a completely different universe, where the inmates run the asylum. 20 year old kids making $20mil+ practicing when they want to, doing what they want to, etc. Petrino is like Saban, a disciplinarian, and therefore not able to function when he doesn't have the ability to control the program. This is why he and Saban were not successful in the NFL. Vick, and his $120mil contract, were too much for Petrino to handle, so he took the best job available in the SEC at the time, Arkansas. He was back in his element, and he turned that program around quickly. True, he screwed it up with his personal issues, but he is human, and humans make dumb decisions all the time. If he accepts responsibility for his actions, and Pat, Bo, and Gouge feel that he is the right man for the job, then let's hire him NOW.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say go for him. I don't see a better, more proven coach available to us. Hayes hit the nail on the head. We don't need a choirboy, we need a tough SOB.

How many times does Petrino have to give us the shaft before you people will get the word that he is irresponsible and undependable? He already walked out on us once at the most imopportune time possible. He did the same to LOouisville and Atlanta. He'll do it to everyone he works for. It makes him feel important. We'd be foolihs to let him do taht to us again.

Glutton's for punishment?

A tiger can't change his stripes, and neither can Petrino - - he is what he is, a decent football coach and a not so decent man.

But, I will say this, if he really wants to change is dishonorable way's, Auburn is the perfect place for him. Brother Chette will be available to counsel him, the "Family" atmopshere will be much better than that wild and loose environment at Arkansas, and since Gene thought our undefeated season and BCSNC trophy was a "God Thing", then I'm sure Bobby would be safe and secure in the warm embrace of the Auburn faithful. :bigblush:

When Petrino left Auburn, he only did what all great assistants do. He was offered a HC job, and he took it. He was successful at that job, so he did what most successful college coaches do, and took a job in the NFL. Once there, he realized that the NFL is a completely different universe, where the inmates run the asylum. 20 year old kids making $20mil+ practicing when they want to, doing what they want to, etc. Petrino is like Saban, a disciplinarian, and therefore not able to function when he doesn't have the ability to control the program. This is why he and Saban were not successful in the NFL. Vick, and his $120mil contract, were too much for Petrino to handle, so he took the best job available in the SEC at the time, Arkansas. He was back in his element, and he turned that program around quickly. True, he screwed it up with his personal issues, but he is human, and humans make dumb decisions all the time. If he accepts responsibility for his actions, and Pat, Bo, and Gouge feel that he is the right man for the job, then let's hire him NOW.

Reputable coaching hires are made immediately after the season, or after the bowls. Petrino left Auburn in the Spring, whe it was virtually impossible to find a replacement. he did the same to Atlanta, and the same to LOouisville. That's a pattern. He choses to leave jobs at times when finding a qualified replacement is impossible, intending to give his employers the shaft.

If Auburn himres him he'll do it to us again, wasling aut between Spring and Summer practice. It's waht he did before. It's his way of doing things. There is nothing reputable about that and anyone hiring him a second time is an idiot. You mighyt as well say, "Shoot me again!"

He's won NO championships. He may have taken a team to the SECCG once, I'm not certain about that. He has never lived up to his potential anywhere he's coached. He won't if he comes to Auburn. He'd be an 8-5, 9-4, coach for a few years and then walk out of us im May. Anyone who looks at his career and his pattern of behaviour can see that clearly.

Just shut the program down if we hire him. That's what he plans to do.

Glutton's for punishment?

A tiger can't change his stripes, and neither can Petrino - - he is what he is, a decent football coach and a not so decent man.

But, I will say this, if he really wants to change is dishonorable way's, Auburn is the perfect place for him. Brother Chette will be available to counsel him, the "Family" atmopshere will be much better than that wild and loose environment at Arkansas, and since Gene thought our undefeated season and BCSNC trophy was a "God Thing", then I'm sure Bobby would be safe and secure in the warm embrace of the Auburn faithful. :bigblush:

Survive the change of command? Won't the staff serve at the whim of the new hire?

Reputable coaching hires are made immediately after the season, or after the bowls. Petrino left Auburn in the Spring, whe it was virtually impossible to find a replacement. he did the same to Atlanta, and the same to LOouisville. That's a pattern. He choses to leave jobs at times when finding a qualified replacement is impossible, intending to give his employers the shaft.

If Auburn himres him he'll do it to us again, wasling aut between Spring and Summer practice. It's waht he did before. It's his way of doing things. There is nothing reputable about that and anyone hiring him a second time is an idiot. You mighyt as well say, "Shoot me again!"

He's won NO championships. He may have taken a team to the SECCG once, I'm not certain about that. He has never lived up to his potential anywhere he's coached. He won't if he comes to Auburn. He'd be an 8-5, 9-4, coach for a few years and then walk out of us im May. Anyone who looks at his career and his pattern of behaviour can see that clearly.

We have another lie alert!!! "He has won no championships". He won two at Louisville. It's difficult to express your points when you have a tenuous grasp on facts, but don't feel bad. You aren't alone.

We have another lie alert!!! "He has won no championships". He won two at Louisville. It's difficult to express your points when you have a tenuous grasp on facts, but don't feel bad. You aren't alone.

He walked out of Auburn in the Spring once and left Auburn in the lurch, leaving us with no way to get a qualified replacment before teh followint season...AND THAT'S NO LIE. Only a fool would give him the chance to do that to us again. AND THAT'S A FACT NO ONE CAN DENY.

He walked out of Auburn in the Spring once and left Auburn in the lurch, leaving us with no way to get a qualified replacment before teh followint season...AND THAT'S NO LIE. Only a fool would give him the chance to do that to us again. AND THAT'S A FACT NO ONE CAN DENY.

So one correct fact in your post makes up for all the other falsehoods? I stopped reading the first time at the no championships quote, because lets face it, people who post inaccuracies don't know what they are talking about. But I just finished reading your screed in its entirety, and guess what? You guessed it WE HAVE A DOUBLE LIE ALERT!!! Petrino accepted the Falcons job on 1/7/07. January is typically classified as a winter month. But that's not all! Petrino accepted the Arkansas job on 12/7/07. You guessed it ladies and gentlemen, December is another winter month.

In sum: you really should be able see that you don't know what you are talking about. In the words of Jim Calhoun, "Get some facts and come back and see me".

So one correct fact in your post makes up for all the other falsehoods? I stopped reading the first time at the no championships quote, because lets face it, people who post inaccuracies don't know what they are talking about. But I just finished reading your screed in its entirety, and guess what? You guessed it WE HAVE A DOUBLE LIE ALERT!!! Petrino accepted the Falcons job on 1/7/07. January is typically classified as a winter month. But that's not all! Petrino accepted the Arkansas job on 12/7/07. You guessed it ladies and gentlemen, December is another winter month.

In sum: you really should be able see that you don't know what you are talking about. In the words of Jim Calhoun, "Get some facts and come back and see me".

Here's an undeniable fact; so far everyone who has hired Petrino has been left in the lurch and regretted having hired him. So far no one has been stupid enough to hire him a second time. He definitely left US in the lurch by leaving in an inopportune time and that should be enough for any thinking Auburn person to NOT want to give him a second chance.

Now maybe there are people stupid enough to let him do it again. I can see I'm talking with one. Hopefully the rumor that teh committee has been told NOT to recommend Petrino is true. Maybe you think hunting for HC in June is a great thing to be doing. That's what we'll be facing in a few years if we hire Petyrino. How do I know? Because that's the situation he put us in before, leaving in Feb or March, or whenever.

Giving him the chance to do taht to us again would be foolish and no one with bat sense would disagree.

Here's an undeniable fact; so far everyone who has hired Petrino has been left in the lurch and regretted having hired him. So far no one has been stupid enough to hire him a second time. He definitely left US in the lurch by leaving in an inopportune time and that should be enough for any thinking Auburn person to NOT want to give him a second chance.

Now maybe there are people stupid enough to let him do it again. I can see I'm talking with one. Hopefully the rumor that teh committee has been told NOT to recommend Petrino is true. Maybe you think hunting for HC in June is a great thing to be doing. That's what we'll be facing in a few years if we hire Petyrino. How do I know? Because that's the situation he put us in before, leaving in Feb or March, or whenever.

Giving him the chance to do taht to us again would be foolish and no one with bat sense would disagree.

False again: He hasn't left every program high and dry

Atlanta: Wanted to bench high profile players that were causing issues in the locker room. Upper management wouldn't allow it. He informed them that if that was the case he would finish out the year and give them time to find someone else. They responded with "you can just quit now"

That was listed from an interview from a thid party.

False again: He hasn't left every program high and dry

Atlanta: Wanted to bench high profile players that were causing issues in the locker room. Upper management wouldn't allow it. He informed them that if that was the case he would finish out the year and give them time to find someone else. They responded with "you can just quit now"

That was listed from an interview from a thid party.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't that what contracts and buyouts are for? If you hire Petrino, you have leverage this go around that didn't exist before. Use it. Bashing the guy is silly. He's a good coach, and if he ends up here, he's going to do a great job for us.

Now on a side note...how does one go about getting "verified" on here? I feel like I'm put in the bammer corner right now....

Also why do people want James Franklin so bad? He is 14-11 at Vandy? To me not a homerun hire more like a bunt. But hey just my opinion.

Winning 14 games at Vandy normally takes 10 years. I think Franklin did it in 2. Winning there shows the man can coach or he can recruit and develop talent quickly where all others failed.

Hire the best available. Petrino. I'd rather win and deal with jokes, than lose with Auburn's good ole boy network version of a "good guy."

Remember how many jokes we made against Alabama and Saban for the first season they hired him? We're not laughing anymore...Now its our turn!

The difference in the two hires is that Saban had been was not seen as a sleaze and quitter who had exposed his previous employers to potential law suits. Saban had won a championship. Telling the media, on camera or tape, that you are not interested in another job looks bad but in the sports world it's more like protecting yourself.

If this Sporting News article really speaks to your perspective and you support Petrino regardless of ANYTHING that might be said or you "just want to win" and you think he is the one and only man in America who can resurrect AU into a once again proud football program, then save yourself some time and read no more. For the rest, sorry for the length. I did consider breaking it into a 2 volume set...

IF the ONLY issue with Petrino was that he had an affair at Arkansas, then this would be an easier conversation to have and words like redemption and forgiveness, etc., as some have mentioned might be appropriate.

What the vast majority of the Petrino to AU advocates posting here apparently believe is the reason some AU alumni and fans (including me) are against hiring him is because we are "holier than thou" or "can't forgive" and they think "it's all about the affair." Guess what? You're wrong in my case and I suspect in many other's. Sure, his affair is not a good thing when you consider that as a HC at Arkansas he and his GF exchanged THOUSANDS of texts every month. http://deadspin.com/5901201 So, I ask you, how long does it take to think about and write that many texts and then wait for the response and then write back and then...?? The answer is "A LOT!!" So while he was muskratting around with his GF, spending time planning his next rendezvous, who was actually running the Arkansas football program since this was in full swing during the fall? Would you really want a guy who is being paid MILLIONS of $$$ to run your football program with that kind of JUDGMENT and SELF-CENTERED/SELFISH ATTITUDE? Notice I didn't say MORALS. Let me add this. What if he was texting or "sexting" to include photos with not just one woman who isn't his wife, but several? And what if some of the most embarrassing photos and texts are still out there like a ticking time bomb just waiting for the most opportune time to be leaked and go off, and somebody decides that the right time is when he is wearing an AU hat again? How do you like him now?

Okay, what about hiring his GF? Some here have made off-hand comments like this is no big deal or even they might do the same thing, wink wink, nod nod. Yeah that's great. Here's an idea: why don't we set up a hiring scheme in the AD, that ultimately disenfranchises about 150 other applicants, when I suspect a large number were actually more qualified? Can you say HUGE potential liability issues? Once again, would you want a guy running your football program with this kind of JUDGMENT and because of his SELF-CENTERED/SELFISH ATTITUDE places your institution in that vulnerable of a position? Again, notice I said nothing about his MORALS.

Okay, what about the lying to his boss and the state police? So, it's okay to lie if you can get away with it and he certainly should try to get away with it so he had to lie?? Is that pretty much the rationalization there? I ask again, is this guy (who once again showed poor JUDGMENT), the guy you want to lead the most visible program at your entire university and essentially to become the "face" of your university to the rest of the world? Notice again, I said nothing about his MORALS.

Okay, what about leaving Louisville and Atlanta. It seems reasonable to me that when an ambitious coach can move up, he does. We all might do the same thing in our own jobs. However, in at least the ATL case, he left before the season was over to take another job. This is simply not done in college or the pros, ever. But because it seems it is ALWAYS about him, he did it. He shouldn't have left ATL before the season was over and Arkie shouldn't have expected him to leave. Then not even having the stones to tell his team in person but instead putting notes in the players lockers shows me another untidy facet of his personality: lack of LOYALTY to anyone but himself.

Is AU now really so desperate to win at any cost that despite these HUGE flags that would eliminate a candidate for management in any of our own businesses, we are willing to take this RISK in hiring the multimillion dollar CEO of the AU football team? Is there really only ONE football coach in America now that can coach and unfortunately he has all of these flaws and we just have to accept them? Never mind that nobody knows how this could all play out and these negatives could actually outweigh all the positives including he has a brilliant offensive football mind? Is there really no other coach in America that could possibly fit AU better than a hire that will surely be as divisive as a Petrino hire would be to AU alumni and fans?

Whether he has "turned over a new leaf" or become "a changed man" and is truly contrite about his infidelity in Arkansas is irrelevant in this discussion. While I suspect it is contrition of convenience and he is mostly sorry that he got caught, I hope he actually has. But you don't typically change deeply rooted personality flaws (like those discussed previously) and certainly not in relatively short periods of time. Regardless, are you prepared to "bet the farm on it"?

Despite the suggestions of his supporters, this really isn't a moral issue. In the face of compelling evidence that he not only lacks organizational LOYALTY, but that he also is very SELF-CENTERED/SELF SERVING, lacks good JUDGMENT and CANNOT BE TRUSTED, the RISK for hiring Petrino is simply too high. That's the bottom line for me.

Well done.

Pat Dye broke down Petrino in a few words last week when he said to look at the condition Arkansas was in when he left. And also when he asked if he had ever won any kind of chanpionship. He is toxic IMO and we can do better.

Dye does not want Petrino because Dye knows Petrino will shut him out of the football program. And shutting Dye out of the football program is a GOOD thing.

There are a lot of coaches that can lose 5 games a year at Auburn. But we deserve better. I have seen 3 names of coaches that might be both attainable and capable of consistantly beating LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia, and Alabama. Gary Patterson, Chris Petterson, and Bobby Petrino. Everyone else is a B Lister.

He did not leave Auburn in the spring. I specifically remember my brother wishing him good luck at Louisville after the Capital One Bowl against PSU. I decided to look it up & discovered he was hired at Louisville on December 23, 2002.

Biography:

Bobby Petrino was hired as head coach for the University of Louisville Cardinals on December 23, 2002. Petrino has previous experience with Louisville, having been the Cardinals offensive coordinator in 1998. He returned to Louisville after serving as the offensive coordinator at Auburn in 2002 and 3 years with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

http://louisville.scout.com/a.z?s=17&p=8&c=1&nid=1216478

Yeah he stayed and coached AU against PSU and used Ronnie Brown and the run game to beat PSU on very windy day were

He did not leave Auburn in the spring. I specifically remember my brother wishing him good luck at Louisville after the Capital One Bowl against PSU. I decided to look it up & discovered he was hired at Louisville on December 23, 2002.

Biography:

Bobby Petrino was hired as head coach for the University of Louisville Cardinals on December 23, 2002. Petrino has previous experience with Louisville, having been the Cardinals offensive coordinator in 1998. He returned to Louisville after serving as the offensive coordinator at Auburn in 2002 and 3 years with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Biography:

Yeah he stayed to Coach the bowl and his adjustments was the difference. He used Ronnie Brown to run over PSU on very windy day where JC couldn't complete a pass.

Pat Dye broke down Petrino in a few words last week when he said to look at the condition Arkansas was in when he left. And also when he asked if he had ever won any kind of chanpionship. He is toxic IMO and we can do better.

Dye does not want Petrino because Dye knows Petrino will shut him out of the football program. And shutting Dye out of the football program is a GOOD thing.

Because Dye was/is such a bad thing for Auburn. :-\

Because Dye was/is such a bad thing for Auburn. :-\

Dye has been the RUINATION of Auburn football.....not that that's such a bad thing, considering I'm a bammer.

Y'all get used to the idea of Petrino in orange and blue, cuz he's your new coach, and you can take that to the bank.

There are a lot of coaches that can lose 5 games a year at Auburn. But we deserve better. I have seen 3 names of coaches that might be both attainable and capable of consistantly beating LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia, and Alabama. Gary Patterson, Chris Petterson, and Bobby Petrino. Everyone else is a B Lister.

Where in Petrino's coaching record do you get an ability to beat the bammers, LSU's, or UGA's? All I see is a guy with clear character issues who hasn't shown he can beat the big boys.

Where in Petrino's coaching record do you get an ability to beat the bammers, LSU's, or UGA's? All I see is a guy with clear character issues who hasn't shown he can beat the big boys.

It is the same old arguments over and over and no matter how many times people point out his success some folks will keep pretending to not see the obvious. The man was at Arkansas and Louisville. The only team with a worse recruiting base in the SEC than Arkansas is Kentucky. Despite that fact in his 3rd and 4th seasons for the Razorbacks he went 21-5. True he didn't win the SEC those years but Alabama and Auburn were the best teams in the country during that run. His success at Arkansas was almost magical. Try comparing that to what Saban did at Michigan State (34-24) which is a similar tier program. Then at Louisville he went 41-9. Charlie Strong by comparison is 23-14. There is zero doubt that Bobby Petrino is one of the best offensive minds in football.

It is the same old arguments over and over and no matter how many times people point out his success some folks will keep pretending to not see the obvious. The man was at Arkansas and Louisville. The only team with a worse recruiting base in the SEC than Arkansas is Kentucky. Despite that fact in his 3rd and 4th seasons for the Razorbacks he went 21-5. True he didn't win the SEC those years but Alabama and Auburn were the best teams in the country during that run. His success at Arkansas was almost magical. Try comparing that to what Saban did at Michigan State (34-24) which is a similar tier program. Then at Louisville he went 41-9. Charlie Strong by comparison is 23-14. There is zero doubt that Bobby Petrino is one of the best offensive minds in football.

I'm not doubting Petrino as an offensive mind. I will admit my issues with him on the field are based on him seemingly showing no regard for the defensive side of the ball. And I do question his character. Do I want to win games, yes. But you really do have to consider all sides of the man too.

Most of the Petrino camp only see what they believe is all that matters....Ws in his past. They believe he can win big at Auburn and he just might, I cant see the future like they can, but I can see the past and thats where the issue becomes troubling. I also agree there's more to consider than just wins but we're both wasting our time fighting that battle. Thats all a growing number of posters in these forums are interested in seeing..everything else be damned!

Patrino is nothing more than an overpaid OC. Personally feel if he is at Auburn this is the greatest capacity that he ever fills.

As for those that think his personal issues shouldn't matter, they are not really personal when your a HC at a major university, especially when you hire your mistress and then lie about it publically when asked. Personal is personal until the media gets a tip. The media is always close by to see you screw up. Also his inability to stay at a job should be a huge red flag as well. Anyone who bolts in the middle of the night without a word is slime and should be treated as such.

This guy’s baggage alone should be enough to warrant a wide birth. If he's ever going to coach again he needs to go back to a 2A-3A team if anyone would hire him.

It's funny that for years the amount of Sabin bashing about his morals and character has gone on and how Auburn doesn't have to stoop to that level. All of a sudden quite a few of you are ready to forget about morals for a coach that can never get a team over the hump to really win anything. But for some reason think he can come here with his lack of morals and bad character and push auburn to the top.

:headscratch::dunno: :-\

Yeah cause Arky is just as good a program as AU with a deep recruiting base to pull players from. (sarcasm) How many times has Arky won the SEC? -That would be zero. How many undefeated teams has Arky had since joining the SEC? That would be zero. AU has had 3 undefeated seasons in the past 20 years. AU program > Arky program.

Archived