Research firm calling AU Alumni

DyeHardAllTheWay

Just what I feared..It's Friday now and the only candidate we've interviewed is Charlie Strong, while Jay Jacobs is doing a census poll on the phones. The longer we wait, our candidate pool will keep shrinking. Cal has been said to have interest in Petrino, Arkansas is after either Gary Patterson or Chris Peterson, with the same backup plan as we have in Gus Malzahn, and who knows what Tennessee is doing. NC State is hiring Sonny Dykes. So, lets say that Cal lands Petrino, Arkansas settles for Malzahn, and Tennessee has to settle for the next best thing and takes Larry Fedora or something. I think Patterson, Peterson, and the two Fishers are just playing the try to get a better contract game, the time to make a hire is now, unless we want to be stuck with Willy Taggart or something.

We have not interviewed anyone yet.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The polling question could be to see what the popularity of hiring Petrino would be. Not an awful idea if you plan on hiring someone with a shady past and want to see what percentage of the contributing alumnus would be on board.

The truth of the matter is that if you hire Petrino, you're going to polarize a large chunk of the fan base. And I don't mean 'make them a little mad'. More like, shock them into reconsidering whether or not the Auburn family and administration believes in their own creed or not. It may not be as large of a pool as I might have originally thought, but I would be one of them. This is a chance for Auburn to prove we are more than a university seeking to win a few football games. Do we believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect of my fellow men? Because if we do, Petrino should not have our respect. The only reason he does is because he wins. I'm looking for more than just wins. Maybe I'm looking for too much?

Just what I feared..It's Friday now and the only candidate we've interviewed is Charlie Strong, while Jay Jacobs is doing a census poll on the phones. The longer we wait, our candidate pool will keep shrinking. Cal has been said to have interest in Petrino, Arkansas is after either Gary Patterson or Chris Peterson, with the same backup plan as we have in Gus Malzahn, and who knows what Tennessee is doing. NC State is hiring Sonny Dykes. So, lets say that Cal lands Petrino, Arkansas settles for Malzahn, and Tennessee has to settle for the next best thing and takes Larry Fedora or something. I think Patterson, Peterson, and the two Fishers are just playing the try to get a better contract game, the time to make a hire is now, unless we want to be stuck with Willy Taggart or something.

We have not interviewed anyone yet.

When should they start, Ellitor?

I got this call tonight. The choices are 1. Patterson 2. Fisher 3. Peterson 4. Smart....not sure what to think of this. I would love either Patterson or Peterson. I do not want Fisher, but maybe Smart if the others do not want the job. My gut says Petrino or Gus. When you look at all of these candidates, they are all much better than Chizik. I think JJ should lose $50,000 for each game we lose in 2013 so that he makes the dead on right choice for HC.

I got this call tonight. The choices are 1. Patterson 2. Fisher 3. Peterson 4. Smart....not sure what to think of this. I would love either Patterson or Peterson. I do not want Fisher, but maybe Smart if the others do not want the job. My gut says Petrino or Gus. When you look at all of these candidates, they are all much better than Chizik. I think JJ should lose $50,000 for each game we lose in 2013 so that he makes the dead on right choice for HC.

Hmmm, wonder if their list is longer then 4 and they can only put 4 on the questionaire. Your choices are slightly different then what others have mentioned.

This seems like a time place to drop a post I made 24 hrs ago related to this subject...

The Petrino advocates, particularly those overheating in the discussion here, really need to take a deep breath and consider the possibility that no matter what sound arguments you can craft or what reasoning you buy into, Petrino actually might not be hired to be AU's HC this Sunday or any day. Those that are putting all their marbles in that one bag and going "ALL IN" for BP are actually the ones who are very likely going to have to adjust to a new reality soon. I understand it is easy to get your hopes up based upon your belief that it is a "done deal" because you read it on this board or another board from someone with "inside sources" who is normally right. But step back and remember that this is still the internet and it may not be accurate. It is quite possible that instead of those who don't want Petrino being the ones who have to grin and bear it or walk away, it is actually the BP fans who will have to decide what level of support you still want to give AU football.

Do you not see that BP is an extremely polarizing figure among AU alumni and fans just based upon the discussions on this board? Now multiply it by hundreds of thousands. Do you not realize that the demographics of the active members of this board are actually NOT the demographics of the entire AU Family, so you may have a skewed perspective on the reality of support for BP? Do you not think that the people influencing this decision see the potential anger storm that hiring BP would cause and actually do not wish to split the family with a highly divisive hire...particularly when there are other worthy candidates who won't? My hope is that we will hire a new HC that the entire AU Family can get behind and be proud of, and that is what I think is going to happen. War Eagle!

Great post and solid points Herk. The reality is some of the things that makes Auburn so wonderful is the love, heart, passion, and loyalty the whole family has for Auburn. The reality is even though we all have our opinions on various coaches we will all support Auburn no matter who that Coach is even if we have reservations about that coach...Except for Bobby Petrino. If the Petrino Poll is any indication for the entire family then 30% find him unacceptable. Multiply that by the number of Auburn fans around the world then that is staggering and very devisive number. Compare that with a poll willing to accept any other legitimate candidate and I am willing to bet that none of them would have an unacceptable rate of more than 10%. Even though I am in the 70% on BP I am not sure hiring him is worth losing some wonderful brothers and sisters in O & B. That is something the committee, JJ, and Gogue will have to decide when looking at Petrino and I don't envy them in this task at all. God Bless and War Eagle!

Good post e. Now let me shock you a little and expand on your comment. I essentially said it above, but let me be a little clearer.

The AUF poll is NOWHERE CLOSE to the actual numbers because the demographics of the AUF active members are not a fair representation of the entire Auburn family. You can essentially take out about 50% of the family off the top because they are women. Whether you like it or not, there is negligible support for BP among women. That is not going to change.

Then you look at men. Older men, say 40-45 years old and up (think big money alumni, boosters, university administration, etc) do not support what many of them believe is a VERY RISKY hire. These are generally folks that have been around the block a few times. They may still be working or are now retired business owners, corporate executives, senior military officers, senior education administrators, etc. This is not a difficult decision for men in this demographic and it does not necessarily center on his recent infidelity as many here suggest. It is everything else including the poor decisions he has made and actions he has taken both then and at other times in his career that would be considered dimly by any of them if they were doing the hiring themselves.

There is only ONE demographic group among the Auburn family that is in favor of hiring Petrino and my bet is around 70% of the folks here are in it: adult men under 40-45 years old.

So, you can now see how the numbers above are at best "upside down" as far as the greater AU family is concerned. If you add in the piece we discussed several weeks ago about the looming $1B fundraising campaign, it's just one more thing to consider.

I hope this helps some here understand why BP will very likely not be hired. Things can change, but I really don't think this one will. There are other worthy candidates and I think one of them will come to the plains that we can all rally behind.

This has got to be a joke, right?

Or is it the bammers, when this gets out the media will have a field day, and any coach worth getting will not come close to Auburn especially after the Strong leak.

This seems like a time place to drop a post I made 24 hrs ago related to this subject...

The Petrino advocates, particularly those overheating in the discussion here, really need to take a deep breath and consider the possibility that no matter what sound arguments you can craft or what reasoning you buy into, Petrino actually might not be hired to be AU's HC this Sunday or any day. Those that are putting all their marbles in that one bag and going "ALL IN" for BP are actually the ones who are very likely going to have to adjust to a new reality soon. I understand it is easy to get your hopes up based upon your belief that it is a "done deal" because you read it on this board or another board from someone with "inside sources" who is normally right. But step back and remember that this is still the internet and it may not be accurate. It is quite possible that instead of those who don't want Petrino being the ones who have to grin and bear it or walk away, it is actually the BP fans who will have to decide what level of support you still want to give AU football.

Do you not see that BP is an extremely polarizing figure among AU alumni and fans just based upon the discussions on this board? Now multiply it by hundreds of thousands. Do you not realize that the demographics of the active members of this board are actually NOT the demographics of the entire AU Family, so you may have a skewed perspective on the reality of support for BP? Do you not think that the people influencing this decision see the potential anger storm that hiring BP would cause and actually do not wish to split the family with a highly divisive hire...particularly when there are other worthy candidates who won't? My hope is that we will hire a new HC that the entire AU Family can get behind and be proud of, and that is what I think is going to happen. War Eagle!

Great post and solid points Herk. The reality is some of the things that makes Auburn so wonderful is the love, heart, passion, and loyalty the whole family has for Auburn. The reality is even though we all have our opinions on various coaches we will all support Auburn no matter who that Coach is even if we have reservations about that coach...Except for Bobby Petrino. If the Petrino Poll is any indication for the entire family then 30% find him unacceptable. Multiply that by the number of Auburn fans around the world then that is staggering and very devisive number. Compare that with a poll willing to accept any other legitimate candidate and I am willing to bet that none of them would have an unacceptable rate of more than 10%. Even though I am in the 70% on BP I am not sure hiring him is worth losing some wonderful brothers and sisters in O & B. That is something the committee, JJ, and Gogue will have to decide when looking at Petrino and I don't envy them in this task at all. God Bless and War Eagle!

Good post e. Now let me shock you a little and expand on your comment. I essentially said it above, but let me be a little clearer.

The AUF poll is NOWHERE CLOSE to the actual numbers because the demographics of the AUF active members are not a fair representation of the entire Auburn family. You can essentially take out about 50% of the family off the top because they are women. Whether you like it or not, there is negligible support for BP among women. That is not going to change.

Then you look at men. Older men, say 40-45 years old and up (think big money alumni, boosters, university administration, etc) do not support what many of them believe is a VERY RISKY hire. These are generally folks that have been around the block a few times. They may still be working or are now retired business owners, corporate executives, senior military officers, senior education administrators, etc. This is not a difficult decision for men in this demographic and it does not necessarily center on his recent infidelity as many here suggest. It is everything else including the poor decisions he has made and actions he has taken both then and at other times in his career that would be considered dimly by any of them if they were doing the hiring themselves.

There is only ONE demographic group among the Auburn family that is in favor of hiring Petrino and my bet is around 70% of the folks here are in it: adult men under 40-45 years old.

So, you can now see how the numbers above are at best "upside down" as far as the greater AU family is concerned. If you add in the piece we discussed several weeks ago about the looming $1B fundraising campaign, it's just one more thing to consider.

I hope this helps some here understand why BP will very likely not be hired. Things can change, but I really don't think this one will. There are other worthy candidates and I think one of them will come to the plains that we can all rally behind.

Love it, -130 man.

This has got to be a joke, right?

Or is it the bammers, when this gets out the media will have a field day, and any coach worth getting will not come close to Auburn especially after the Strong leak.

It's true. People on other boards have been saying they also got the calls. Unless everyone is lying, which I doubt.

And you can bet this will be a story on F-bomb tomorrow. :-\

For the all the anti-P crowd, this why we want him because AU will screw this up and bam we are stuck with some noname assistant coach. He is at the bottom of my list but frankly I do not see us stepping up and putting our big boy pants on.

For the all the anti-P crowd, this why we want him because AU will screw this up and bam we are stuck with some noname assistant coach. He is at the bottom of my list but frankly I do not see us stepping up and putting our big boy pants on.

Sadly, I think the anti-BP crowd would be just fine with a no name as long as he is sinless. That's where the divide is right now. Those of us who realize winning is not just important for bragging rights but for the university's funding. And those who think it's all about some moral high ground and not being like the bammers.

Sadly, I think the anti-BP crowd would be just fine with a no name as long as he is sinless. That's where the divide is right now. Those of us who realize winning is not just important for bragging rights but for the university's funding. And those who think it's all about some moral high ground and not being like the bammers.

That's right...because there's no middle ground. It's win with BP or lose with ANYONE ELSE who's not an adulterer. It's about winning and funding, but it's about sending a message, too. A message about what is important to Auburn. Developing men and women and leaders of high moral fiber and good character or winning football games. If we hire another coach, there's a good chance we'll still win. If we hire BP, there's a garauntee we'll be sending the message to the rest of the world, "we just want to win"

WarBlogle.com@WarBlogle

WE @wilsobk @warblogle it's a guy who owns a polling company. He was curious. Not affiliated with Auburn at all.

Everyone relax....this is not the AU administration pulling a political campaign move just an AU Alum doing some digging.

I have never heard of a polling company doing surveys during a college football coaching search. Has anyone else?

That's what it seems, most all SEC teams have or will step it up, and here we sit with Joe Blow an unknown assistant from Podunk U. I believe the ones that want BP are basically not trusting the idiots doing the hiring.

The Strong mystery interview

Allowing Luper and Trooper to stay on

And now this

And some wonder if BP might get us bad PR, that is happening already. WAKE UP PEOPLE

That's what it seems, most all SEC teams have or will step it up, and here we sit with Joe Blow an unknown assistant from Podunk U. I believe the ones that want BP are basically not trusting the idiots doing the hiring.

And now this

And some wonder if BP might get us bad PR, that is happening already. WAKE UP PEOPLE

Not worried about the PR...lol (and most anti-BP people on here would probably agree with me). Worried about how we think and what we want to accomplish, and what we're willing to compromise to get it. I couldn't care any less about our PR. This isn't the right move because the ends do not always justify the means. Being a good coach should not forgive ALL.

Listen you crazy bleeding heart's......If you want to be a successful LEADER OF MEN you have to be kind of an a**hole!! You have to be respected and feared!! Chizik is a great guy and someone you would want to lead your Sunday School but not your football team. We're not hiring a spiritual guidance counselor....it's a football coach!! If you think the past successful coaches we've had here on the plains were great upstanding gentlemen of our community then you haven't been paying attention. I'm not saying that Petrino is my first choice, I have my questions but none of them are where he keeps his copy of the ten commandments.

Listen you crazy bleeding heart's......If you want to be a successful LEADER OF MEN you have to be kind of an a**hole!! You have to be respected and feared!! Chizik is a great guy and someone you would want to lead your Sunday School but not your football team. We're not hiring a spiritual guidance counselor....it's a football coach!! If you think the past successful coaches we've had here on the plains were great upstanding gentlemen of our community then you haven't been paying attention. I'm not saying that Petrino is my first choice, I have my questions but none of them are where he keeps his copy of the ten commandments.

I'm not asking for Mister Rogers, man. Breathe! Im asking for someone who doesn't hire a girl he's cheating on his wife with and then lie about it. Just don't think adulterers should be put in a position to lead young men and help develop them. If THAT makes me a bleeding heart then I need help. We should have SOME damn expectation of morals from our coach....SOME.

I'm in the Air Force, I know what it means to be a leader. And yes you do have to be stern and kind of a jerk sometimes. But most importantly, you have to be grounded and you have to have a solid foundation of morals. Ive been a leader for much of my life...it's literally THE most important thing. Just because Chizik was and didn't turn out to be what we needed does NOT mean we go and look for an adulterer assh*le who is everything he was not.

WarBlogle.com@WarBlogle

WE @wilsobk @warblogle it's a guy who owns a polling company. He was curious. Not affiliated with Auburn at all.

Everyone relax....this is not the AU administration pulling a political campaign move just an AU Alum doing some digging.

I have never heard of a polling company doing surveys during a college football coaching search. Has anyone else?

New to me too and seems odd......guess if you have the resources and your really curious as to the pulse of the Family then.....

And now this

Well I realize both sides love AU, so I will not say either side should be banished for feeling the way they do. I understand both sides.

But I would like to point out that not hiring Petrino just smacks of hypocrisy to me. As much as some bury their heads in the sand, AU's football program is not the bastion of morality and hasn't been for at least 30 years. Dye has had his off the field issues (and I love CPD). Tot had the SAME issue Petrino had, but did it while at AU! Tubs has his "pine box" moment as well as his yearly habit of using the sleazeball Jimmy Sexton to get him raises. It is interesting to note that Tubs run a cleaner program than either Tot or Chizik even though Tot and Chizik were quick to talk about religion while Tubs almost never did.

On top of that, AU has had its fair share of players who were from the wrong side of the tracks. Chizik had more of those types of players than I remember from any prior staff. If the AU creed people were really serious, they would have marched on campus and demanded Chiz suspend Dyer and all the other players he had that were of questionable morals, but nope, they cared more about winning. And now they want to sit here and lecture us about "winning at all costs" when the AU program has been about that for a long time. Part of it is that AU has been forced into this mindset by bammer, but also by LSU, UF, USCe, UT, etc. All of the top programs in this league have the mentality of winning. It's just reality and AU is no different. We can either choose to win or choose to be Vandy. It's really that simple.

I'm not asking for Mister Rogers, man. Breathe! Im asking for someone who doesn't hire a girl he's cheating on his wife with and then lie about it. Just don't think adulterers should be put in a position to lead young men and help develop them. If THAT makes me a bleeding heart then I need help. We should have SOME damn expectation of morals from our coach....SOME.

I'm in the Air Force, I know what it means to be a leader. And yes you do have to be stern and kind of a jerk sometimes. But most importantly, you have to be grounded and you have to have a solid foundation of morals. Ive been a leader for much of my life...it's literally THE most important thing. Just because Chizik was and didn't turn out to be what we needed does NOT mean we go and look for an adulterer assh*le who is everything he was not.

A lot of the greatest military leaders were know womanizers, just saying.

The polling question could be to see what the popularity of hiring Petrino would be. Not an awful idea if you plan on hiring someone with a shady past and want to see what percentage of the contributing alumnus would be on board.

The truth of the matter is that if you hire Petrino, you're going to polarize a large chunk of the fan base. And I don't mean 'make them a little mad'. More like, shock them into reconsidering whether or not the Auburn family and administration believes in their own creed or not. It may not be as large of a pool as I might have originally thought, but I would be one of them. This is a chance for Auburn to prove we are more than a university seeking to win a few football games. Do we believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect of my fellow men? Because if we do, Petrino should not have our respect. The only reason he does is because he wins. I'm looking for more than just wins. Maybe I'm looking for too much?

We're hiring someone to be a football coach, not to be the Pope. If you want and honest, truthful, good man then you need to drive up to the athletic complex and try and convince them to rehire Gene.

Archived