Research firm calling AU Alumni

DyeHardAllTheWay

Petrino is not the man to coach AU football. It's not just that he's morally bankrupt, it's that he's a proven winner that can win 8 or 9 games most years. I'm just not sold on his coaching ability or his competence in hiring capable assistants. If he becomes our coach and still loses to 'Bama and LSU a few times, the natives will again get restless and start wanting yet another change. Every sportswriter (using the word loosely) out there will get blisters on their fingers writing about how we sold out and got what we deserved.

The SEC is getting stronger. If Franklin stays at Vandy and Freeze at Ole Miss those programs might not become world beaters but they'll become teams that can beat any other team on a given Saturday.

No matter who we hire as head football coach, we're taking a chance on their having success in the arena. Success at one school does not mean success at another. Why take another chance by hiring a coach that is a moral equivalent to Richard Scrushy? Like with Scrushy, it doesn't matter what Petrino says and does while his neck is in the sling. History proves that to be the case with most any coach, The only real data that we can trust is his actions over his career, and if that doesn't put up a red flag then nothing will. I surely wouldn't want you to be the personnel director at my company.

Right now, there are too many other viable options. Would those that want Petrino be upset with Franklin? With Strong? I think hires like those would bring the Auburn Family together. Petrino will only further splinter us.

Best take on Petrino I've read.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petrino is not the man to coach AU football. It's not just that he's morally bankrupt, it's that he's a proven winner that can win 8 or 9 games most years. I'm just not sold on his coaching ability or his competence in hiring capable assistants. If he becomes our coach and still loses to 'Bama and LSU a few times, the natives will again get restless and start wanting yet another change. Every sportswriter (using the word loosely) out there will get blisters on their fingers writing about how we sold out and got what we deserved.

The SEC is getting stronger. If Franklin stays at Vandy and Freeze at Ole Miss those programs might not become world beaters but they'll become teams that can beat any other team on a given Saturday.

No matter who we hire as head football coach, we're taking a chance on their having success in the arena. Success at one school does not mean success at another. Why take another chance by hiring a coach that is a moral equivalent to Richard Scrushy? Like with Scrushy, it doesn't matter what Petrino says and does while his neck is in the sling. History proves that to be the case with most any coach, The only real data that we can trust is his actions over his career, and if that doesn't put up a red flag then nothing will. I surely wouldn't want you to be the personnel director at my company.

Right now, there are too many other viable options. Would those that want Petrino be upset with Franklin? With Strong? I think hires like those would bring the Auburn Family together. Petrino will only further splinter us.

Best take on Petrino I've read.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

agree +1

Listen you crazy bleeding heart's......If you want to be a successful LEADER OF MEN you have to be kind of an a**hole!! You have to be respected and feared!! Chizik is a great guy and someone you would want to lead your Sunday School but not your football team. We're not hiring a spiritual guidance counselor....it's a football coach!! If you think the past successful coaches we've had here on the plains were great upstanding gentlemen of our community then you haven't been paying attention. I'm not saying that Petrino is my first choice, I have my questions but none of them are where he keeps his copy of the ten commandments.

I'm not asking for Mister Rogers, man. Breathe! Im asking for someone who doesn't hire a girl he's cheating on his wife with and then lie about it. Just don't think adulterers should be put in a position to lead young men and help develop them. If THAT makes me a bleeding heart then I need help. We should have SOME damn expectation of morals from our coach....SOME.

I'm in the Air Force, I know what it means to be a leader. And yes you do have to be stern and kind of a jerk sometimes. But most importantly, you have to be grounded and you have to have a solid foundation of morals. Ive been a leader for much of my life...it's literally THE most important thing. Just because Chizik was and didn't turn out to be what we needed does NOT mean we go and look for an adulterer assh*le who is everything he was not.

I was also in the Air Force and I think you are spreading this stuff on a little thick. Leaders of men ? Do you think Eisenhower wasn't a good leader because of his transgressions and should have been decommissioned instead of leading D Day ? How about when he was President or for that matter several of our Presidents ?

Why do you think that Auburn is lowering its standards to hire a person who has fallen previously ? You don't give my Alma Mater much credit if you think that is the case because Auburn isn't lowering any standard and it shouldn't. The person who is being hired has to raise their standard up to meet Auburn's higher standard not the other way around. If the new hire can't continue to operate at that higher standard, they will be fired. Quite frankly, I think it speaks highly of Auburn if they are willing to give someone another chance if they are convinced the person redeemed themselves and is deserving.

What is dangerous to me is not the affair. That happens. It's bad but is based on a normal human function that some men and women do not seem to be able to control. The two bad things are first the hiring of an unqualified candidate, breaking labor laws leaving the school wide open to lawsuits. From what I have read if Ike he never prompted an officer into a position for which others were better qualified for sex. the second is the 2003 meeting to replace the man who revived his career. Sorry, loyalty is high on my list of things I like. Plus Petrino is an 2:1 coach at Arkansas (34-17) so I don't know why everyone thinks he is the end all coach. He's a hell of a play caller though.

While I appreciate you trying to put a finer point on the Ike analogy to include the labor law distinction, the poster I responded to did not venture there. As his last sentence indicated, he was clearly posting about the larger issue of affairs in general vis a vis leadership, hence the focus of my response to him.

With respect to his Arky W-L record, I believe the 34-17 record for 4 years amounts to a 67% winning record. If you exclude his "inheriting" year, his Arky record his last 3 years was 29-10 for a winning percentage of 74%. At Louisville he was 41-9 for an 82% winning record.

To put that in perspective, the last time we hired a coach, he had a 5-19 record at his previous stop for a 21% winning record.

Yes, and I would not have hired Chizik because I would not have run off Tubberville. I suppose after spending many years in management I look strongly at how a hire can expose an organization and Petrino scares me. I will not argue that he is not an above average coach. He is. And he's the best play caller around. But he has a track record that is damn risky. This morning I heard one of his former players (at Louisville) interviewed on the radio. He supported Petrino's football knowledge but indicated he was very arrogant, aloof and at times demeaning. Not strict but demeaning. The line I remember was "He expected you to give everything but but he gave little of himself."

Listen you crazy bleeding heart's......If you want to be a successful LEADER OF MEN you have to be kind of an a**hole!! You have to be respected and feared!! Chizik is a great guy and someone you would want to lead your Sunday School but not your football team. We're not hiring a spiritual guidance counselor....it's a football coach!! If you think the past successful coaches we've had here on the plains were great upstanding gentlemen of our community then you haven't been paying attention. I'm not saying that Petrino is my first choice, I have my questions but none of them are where he keeps his copy of the ten commandments.

I'm not asking for Mister Rogers, man. Breathe! Im asking for someone who doesn't hire a girl he's cheating on his wife with and then lie about it. Just don't think adulterers should be put in a position to lead young men and help develop them. If THAT makes me a bleeding heart then I need help. We should have SOME damn expectation of morals from our coach....SOME.

I'm in the Air Force, I know what it means to be a leader. And yes you do have to be stern and kind of a jerk sometimes. But most importantly, you have to be grounded and you have to have a solid foundation of morals. Ive been a leader for much of my life...it's literally THE most important thing. Just because Chizik was and didn't turn out to be what we needed does NOT mean we go and look for an adulterer assh*le who is everything he was not.

I was also in the Air Force and I think you are spreading this stuff on a little thick. Leaders of men ? Do you think Eisenhower wasn't a good leader because of his transgressions and should have been decommissioned instead of leading D Day ? How about when he was President or for that matter several of our Presidents ?

Why do you think that Auburn is lowering its standards to hire a person who has fallen previously ? You don't give my Alma Mater much credit if you think that is the case because Auburn isn't lowering any standard and it shouldn't. The person who is being hired has to raise their standard up to meet Auburn's higher standard not the other way around. If the new hire can't continue to operate at that higher standard, they will be fired. Quite frankly, I think it speaks highly of Auburn if they are willing to give someone another chance if they are convinced the person redeemed themselves and is deserving.

What is dangerous to me is not the affair. That happens. It's bad but is based on a normal human function that some men and women do not seem to be able to control. The two bad things are first the hiring of an unqualified candidate, breaking labor laws leaving the school wide open to lawsuits. From what I have read if Ike he never prompted an officer into a position for which others were better qualified for sex. the second is the 2003 meeting to replace the man who revived his career. Sorry, loyalty is high on my list of things I like. Plus Petrino is an 2:1 coach at Arkansas (34-17) so I don't know why everyone thinks he is the end all coach. He's a hell of a play caller though.

While I appreciate you trying to put a finer point on the Ike analogy to include the labor law distinction, the poster I responded to did not venture there. As his last sentence indicated, he was clearly posting about the larger issue of affairs in general vis a vis leadership, hence the focus of my response to him.

With respect to his Arky W-L record, I believe the 34-17 record for 4 years amounts to a 67% winning record. If you exclude his "inheriting" year, his Arky record his last 3 years was 29-10 for a winning percentage of 74%. At Louisville he was 41-9 for an 82% winning record.

To put that in perspective, the last time we hired a coach, he had a 5-19 record at his previous stop for a 21% winning record.

Yes, and I would not have hired Chizik because I would not have run off Tubberville. I suppose after spending many years in management I look strongly at how a hire can expose an organization and Petrino scares me. I will not argue that he is not an above average coach. He is. And he's the best play caller around. But he has a track record that is damn risky. This morning I heard one of his former players (at Louisville) interviewed on the radio. He supported Petrino's football knowledge but indicated he was very arrogant, aloof and at times demeaning. Not strict but demeaning. The line I remember was "He expected you to give everything but but he gave little of himself."

I've heard more than one of BP's former players make similar statements. Petrino is just not a "people person", that's why he didn't do too well in the living rooms of high school recruits. Could be ego, arrogance, maybe he's really a shy person. IDK

I totally disagree with this post Frankilin and Strong while both good coaches are not in the same league with BP even with his troubles.

Petrino is the best offensive coach at any level. What he does works equally as well in college as the NFL. That is undeniable. With that said, I do not like him, but will hate it if we pass on him and he ends up at another school with a new shiny reputation and a bunch of crystal footballs... I'm torn.

The polling question could be to see what the popularity of hiring Petrino would be. Not an awful idea if you plan on hiring someone with a shady past and want to see what percentage of the contributing alumnus would be on board.

The truth of the matter is that if you hire Petrino, you're going to polarize a large chunk of the fan base. And I don't mean 'make them a little mad'. More like, shock them into reconsidering whether or not the Auburn family and administration believes in their own creed or not. It may not be as large of a pool as I might have originally thought, but I would be one of them. This is a chance for Auburn to prove we are more than a university seeking to win a few football games. Do we believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect of my fellow men? Because if we do, Petrino should not have our respect. The only reason he does is because he wins. I'm looking for more than just wins. Maybe I'm looking for too much?

Yes, you are looking for too much. It's football, not Bible camp. That being said I respect your concerns and would be happy to have Peterson, Patterson, Strong, or Malzahn as our coach, because they are good coaches and have not publicly done anything (yet) that offends members of our fan base such as yourself.

You want some square-jawed paragon who also wins football games. Like who? Saban? Belichik? Les Miles? Give me a break. I'll take an SOB who wins, competes for SEC titles regularly,who runs a clean program, and who takes his team to BCS bowl games. You can have Gene Chizik. I'll take Bobby Petrino.

For the all the anti-P crowd, this why we want him because AU will screw this up and bam we are stuck with some noname assistant coach. He is at the bottom of my list but frankly I do not see us stepping up and putting our big boy pants on.

Sadly, I think the anti-BP crowd would be just fine with a no name as long as he is sinless. That's where the divide is right now. Those of us who realize winning is not just important for bragging rights but for the university's funding. And those who think it's all about some moral high ground and not being like the bammers.

That's right...because there's no middle ground. It's win with BP or lose with ANYONE ELSE who's not an adulterer. It's about winning and funding, but it's about sending a message, too. A message about what is important to Auburn. Developing men and women and leaders of high moral fiber and good character or winning football games. If we hire another coach, there's a good chance we'll still win. If we hire BP, there's a garauntee we'll be sending the message to the rest of the world, "we just want to win"

Do you realize how many men are adulterers? Is it right? Absolutely not? If that is our criteria then I know a really good preacher who enjoys watching an occasional game after chruch. The fact that the reason people don't want Petrino is he is an adulterer, while it shouldn't shock me, does. I will accept not wanting him because he left his previous teams high and dry. But if we're starting to judge/pick coaches based on sins then I think we're for a very, very long coaching search.

Just curious, but doesn't the Bible also place all sin on equal ground? Because I bet most coaches are prideful, so there goes that lot. And on and on, until well... I'm pretty sure there is not one without sin among us so I guess there we'll just not have a coach next year.

For the all the anti-P crowd, this why we want him because AU will screw this up and bam we are stuck with some noname assistant coach. He is at the bottom of my list but frankly I do not see us stepping up and putting our big boy pants on.

Sadly, I think the anti-BP crowd would be just fine with a no name as long as he is sinless. That's where the divide is right now. Those of us who realize winning is not just important for bragging rights but for the university's funding. And those who think it's all about some moral high ground and not being like the bammers.

That's right...because there's no middle ground. It's win with BP or lose with ANYONE ELSE who's not an adulterer. It's about winning and funding, but it's about sending a message, too. A message about what is important to Auburn. Developing men and women and leaders of high moral fiber and good character or winning football games. If we hire another coach, there's a good chance we'll still win. If we hire BP, there's a garauntee we'll be sending the message to the rest of the world, "we just want to win"

Do you realize how many men are adulterers? Is it right? Absolutely not? If that is our criteria then I know a really good preacher who enjoys watching an occasional game after chruch. The fact that the reason people don't want Petrino is he is an adulterer, while it shouldn't shock me, does. I will accept not wanting him because he left his previous teams high and dry. But if we're starting to judge/pick coaches based on sins then I think we're for a very, very long coaching search.

Just curious, but doesn't the Bible also place all sin on equal ground? Because I bet most coaches are prideful, so there goes that lot. And on and on, until well... I'm pretty sure there is not one without sin among us so I guess there we'll just not have a coach next year.

Not going to get into a Religious argument with you lol. It's apparent to me I'm in the minority with expecting a moral winner. I get it...it disappoints me, but I'll take my opinion and pack it away for now. We're not just asking this man to win games, we're asking him to develop young men. And no, I guess I wouldn't want an adulterer in charge of molding young men for their future lives. But that doesn't matter. Just winning matters, that's obvious enough reading the posts. Most of the people here will rationalize all of this away to win...and will argue till they're blue in the face why its RIGHT. You don't have to be a preacher to not be an adlulterer...it's NOT THAT HARD to not cheat on your wife. And just for me personally as a Catholic, no sins are not on equal ground. I can't speak for other religions.

Not going to get into a Religious argument with you lol. It's apparent to me I'm in the minority with expecting a moral winner. I get it...it disappoints me, but I'll take my opinion and pack it away for now. We're not just asking this man to win games, we're asking him to develop young men. And no, I guess I wouldn't want an adulterer in charge of molding young men for their future lives. But that doesn't matter. Just winning matters, that's obvious enough reading the posts. Most of the people here will rationalize all of this away to win...and will argue till they're blue in the face why its RIGHT. You don't have to be a preacher to not be an adlulterer...it's NOT THAT HARD to not cheat on your wife. And just for me personally as a Catholic, no sins are not on equal ground. I can't speak for other religions.

I'm with you, WarDamnAirForce. But the adultery is not what bugs me so much about Petrino. It's the complete lack of loyalty that he has demonstrated many times to his players, his employers, and his family. I see a man whose extreme narcissism and hubris finally led to a downfall. Has his downfall humbled him and caused him to repent of his past transgression? I hope so. But I'm not willing to give him a chance at a big-time program like Auburn just 9 months after his incident (not that it's my decision to make). In my mind, he hasn't paid his dues and all he's done so far is pay lip servicde to being a 'changed man'. Talk is cheap, and Bobby's past demonstrates that he's willing to say whatever it takes to get his way whether it's the truth or not.

Please. He left a college job for the NFL. Once there the owner undermined his power and he decided to return to college where he would have personel control. Besides, the NFL are grown ass men who you can bet money will leave at the drop of the hat if they think its a better situation for them. So enough with the he left them holding the rope talk. As for Arky, he was caught cheating and tried to hide it. Nothing less and nothing more. But hell lets just all talk about what a POS JFK was while we are at it. Lord knows EVERY SINGLEONE OF YOU who comes on here and passes damning moral judgement against Bobby Petrino has their own vices. The thing is Bobby's problem is his played out on center stage. And I promise if anyone here had their deepest secrets drug to the surface, their would be plenty of people just waiting to pass judgement on you as well. Just be glad you've been discrete so for. BRAVO.

BP's replacement (Smith) seems to be doing pretty well in the same NFL job with the same owner. Maybe Arthur Blank had a change of heart and stopped undermining his head coach after BP's departure. Or possibly, the problem left after notes were deposited in the lockers.

I'm with you, WarDamnAirForce. But the adultery is not what bugs me so much about Petrino. It's the complete lack of loyalty that he has demonstrated many times to his players, his employers, and his family. I see a man whose extreme narcissism and hubris finally led to a downfall. Has his downfall humbled him and caused him to repent of his past transgression? I hope so. But I'm not willing to give him a chance at a big-time program like Auburn just 9 months after his incident (not that it's my decision to make). In my mind, he hasn't paid his dues and all he's done so far is pay lip servicde to being a 'changed man'. Talk is cheap, and Bobby's past demonstrates that he's willing to say whatever it takes to get his way whether it's the truth or not.

A wise man once wrote...

Let love and faithfulness (loyalty) never leave you;

bind them around your neck,

write them on the tablet of your heart.

Then you will win favor and a good name

in the sight of God and man.

I am not judgeing the man. I'm just questioning his loyalty since he broke his word with Louisville and Atlanta. Then where did his loyalty lie before he decided to get on that Motorcycle with the intern?

let me pose this thought "Is Bobby P the best coach we can get?" Are we that desperate to hire someone that was involved in clandestine behavior to oust Tommy T. or who did not have the ba... to face the Atlanta Falcons players and tell them he was leaving or lied to the Arkansas Admin. Do you not see a pattern? Why would you trust someone with that track record? I for one do not want to take a chance on a coach who has no problem leaving and then we find ourselves looking for another coach in a year or two.

I am not saying I have lead a perfect life. In fact far from it. But just like the President of the U.S. or a coach of a major college football program, certain individuals are expected to follow a higher set of standards. I for one think there are better coaches with a better track record. Just my two cents.

We could just get Michael Dyer back in Orange and Blue. If being successful is the only criteria.... :)

BP's replacement (Smith) seems to be doing pretty well in the same NFL job with the same owner. Maybe Arthur Blank had a change of heart and stopped undermining his head coach after BP's departure. Or possibly, the problem left after notes were deposited in the lockers.

Ever hear of roster turnover? It happens alot in the NFL and comparing BP's Atlanta team (who lost Vick before he ever took a snap under Petrino) to this Falcon team is probably the dumbest argument ever. But hey, why don't you start a campaign to hire him instead of trying to block the guy a majority of us want? Btw, the notes were left on the lockers after the owner locked Petrino.

This thread is a perfect example of why the anti Petrino crowd just doesn't get it. All coaches come and go. Some just win a hell of alot more than others. Btw, if we hire someone besides Petrino are we gonna crucify them for leaving their current school holding the rope? Pfffttttt.

Ever hear of roster turnover? It happens alot in the NFL and comparing BP's Atlanta team (who lost Vick before he ever took a snap under Petrino) to this Falcon team is probably the dumbest argument ever. But hey, why don't you start a campaign to hire him instead of trying to block the guy a majority of us want? Btw, the notes were left on the lockers after the owner locked Petrino.

Dumbest argument ever. Really? Ever? That's pretty funny. Your argument doesn't really support the notion that BP does more with inferior talent (i.e. roster change) I don't think any of us have the ability to hire or block anyone's hire. This is a forum for information and opinions. I suppose all opposing opinions are incorrect. My apologies.

This thread is a perfect example of why the anti Petrino crowd just doesn't get it. All coaches come and go. Some just win a hell of alot more than others. Btw, if we hire someone besides Petrino are we gonna crucify them for leaving their current school holding the rope? Pfffttttt.

It's not about a coach leaving a school for me. It's about their word and the breaking of contracts. If Gary Patterson is interviewing for jobs I could only hope that he has the blessing from TCU. There is a big difference in doing things the right way and doing things behind someones back.

My dad told me once "Opinions are like As..ho... Everyone has one". You think Petrino would be a great hire, I think otherwise. And if you wanna get smart that is your choice as well. You were probably one of those that said we had the best Coaching staffs ever after we won the NC and were reeling in great recruiting classes.

Unfortunately I can not see into the future, but right or wrong I FEEL as though hiring Petrino would be a mistake.

My dad told me once "Opinions are like As..ho... Everyone has one". You think Petrino would be a great hire, I think otherwise. And if you wanna get smart that is your choice as well. You were probably one of those that said we had the best Coaching staffs ever after we won the NC and were reeling in great recruiting classes.

Unfortunately I can not see into the future, but right or wrong I FEEL as though hiring Petrino would be a mistake.

Concur

It's not about a coach leaving a school for me. It's about their word and the breaking of contracts. If Gary Patterson is interviewing for jobs I could only hope that he has the blessing from TCU. There is a big difference in doing things the right way and doing things behind someones back.

It's about wins and losses. I'd love it if it was all magic unicorns, but both coaches and administrations lie. How much, now that is seriously splitting hairs. I'd like cbp, so it would show some AU fans that, we are putting football 1st.

Seems some got their wish, minus 5-19, but could be a good AU man, some say he still is, and that turned out beyond bad.

Big-time cBP supporter, but I'm now moving Jim Levitt to #1, much for the same reasons. I think he would do better.

Dumbest argument ever. Really? Ever? That's pretty funny. Your argument doesn't really support the notion that BP does more with inferior talent (i.e. roster change) I don't think any of us have the ability to hire or block anyone's hire. This is a forum for information and opinions. I suppose all opposing opinions are incorrect. My apologies.

When I said dumbest argument ever I didn't realize you would counter with NFL failure = A damn thing when it comes to coaching CFB. I stand corrected.

Gary Patterson also signed a contract less than 2 years ago through 2018. Its hypocrisy man.

When I said dumbest argument ever I didn't realize you would counter with NFL failure = A damn thing when it comes to coaching CFB. I stand corrected.

Gary Patterson also signed a contract less than 2 years ago through 2018. Its hypocrisy man.

His contract more than likely states that he can speak with anyone about another job as long as TCU is aware and approves it.

It called honoring your contract!!!

Archived