OSU's Tressel gave money and cars to players?

SouthLink02

http://espn.go.com/ncf/s/2004/1109/1919059.html

Clarett says that while he was at Ohio State in 2002 and 2003 head coach Jim Tressel, as well as certain members of his staff and boosters, provided him with improper benefits. He says he covered up Tressel's improprieties during the NCAA investigation and afterward, Ohio State "blackballed'' him from the football program.

Another former Ohio State player, linebacker Marco Cooper (2000-01; Spring 2002), corroborated many of Clarett's comments. Cooper, who was suspended from the team following two arrests for drug possession, says he also had bogus landscaping jobs, that a booster helped furnish his apartment, and that he was able to borrow cars from local Columbus dealerships in exchange for signed OSU memorabilia.

Another former Buckeyes player, current Maryland running back Sammy Maldonado, says he was placed in so many courses that did not put him on the road to graduation that only 17 of a possible 40 credits earned would transfer to his new school.

Uh oh :no::no::no::no:

This is just sad for college football. I hate it when things like this come out. We are so fortunate that we have good human beings as players on our team, and players who stay out of trouble once they are here.

We are so fortunate that we have good human beings as players on our team, and players who stay out of trouble once they are here.

119696[/snapback]

thats what they want you to think

I cant believe there wasnt an investigation when clarrett got caught with all that money or whatever.

I know this sounds crappy...but i will say that is pretty sorry on clarretts part (like many others) who benefit from the money or whatever and then burn the institution that took care of him...all because things didnt go his way.

We are so fortunate that we have good human beings as players on our team, and players who stay out of trouble once they are here.

119696[/snapback]

119699[/snapback]

Do you have any reason to believe differently? I am sure they party and all, but they are at least smart about it.

I've got ten bucks at 2:1 odds that says this 'scandal' gets swept under the rug. Much like the tutoring and grades stuff that happened there a year or so ago.

I've got ten bucks at 2:1 odds that says this 'scandal' gets swept under the rug.  Much like the tutoring and grades stuff that happened there a year or so ago.

119733[/snapback]

This is just too big and national to get swept under

We all knew something was up when he had $10,000 worth of clothes, electronic equipment, etc stolen. I remember we had much to say about that, but nothing came of it. All I can say is if they are cheating, they should have bought some better players, because it sure looks like they are down this year.

We all knew something was up when he had $10,000 worth of clothes, electronic equipment, etc stolen.  I remember we had much to say about that, but nothing came of it.  All I can say is if they are cheating, they should have bought some better players, because it sure looks like they are down this year.

119832[/snapback]

The whole business about him not going to class, walking out of a mid-term, and then later passing the class after being allowed to take an oral exam; and then the $8k worth of stolen stereo equipment fiasco out of his "ride" -- that was classic sweeping under the rug while Clarett was still on the team. Now that he's gone and of no use to OSU anymore ... ... I guess the hush money payments must have stopped. What kind of "grateful" alumni do they have at OSU? Bunch of cheapskates! I'll say this for the bammies: nobdy could ever prove they were late on their hush money payments. :D

Simply put, there needs to be a statute of limitations for ex-players ratting out the universities after they leave. These players are schooled in the do's and dont's regarding rules violations and IF it went on, he knew it was wrong when he accepted it. The NCAA should not consider any allegations after the fact. If it's wrong and you know it, either don't accept it or turn them in when it's offered. This sour grapes, coming back after the fact crap(After you've reaped all the benefits a scholly and the illegal benefits brings your way) is ridiculous. Can you say Eric R-R-R. Uh, Eric R-R-R-R. Oh well, I guess I can't say it.

I will say it Eric "my baby is Hungry" Ramsey. King of tape recorder Rats.

The last I heard from Ramsey he was up in Canada or some god forsaken place like that.

119696[/snapback]

119699[/snapback]

Pengui,

Haven't heard much of your bitching this year. You thinking about crawling out of your hole?

I will say it Eric "my baby is Hungry" Ramsey.  King of tape recorder Rats.

The last I heard from Ramsey he was up in Canada or some god forsaken place like that.

119938[/snapback]

I am from that god forsaken place. :blink: :huh: :no:

I have mixed feelings about players receiving benefits but that's a whole other discussion for another time. My problem, as I said earlier, is the player who accepts the payments, cars etc. and the immeasurable benefits of a scholarship, and then bites the hand that feeds him after he's reaped the rewards.

I also have heard the old "It goes on everywhere" argument. That may be true, and probably is, but ask yourself this. If cheating is so rampant, why don't we hear more of this type of stuff? There are literally hundreds of thousands of ex-players in society, probably many with some type of axe to grind with their former university, coach, whatever. Why don't we hear more of this type of accusation if it's so widespread? How easy would it be for a rich booster to payoff a former player from a rival school to spill the beans?

I agree it's out there, but not as blatant and widespread as some think. There could actually be those out there following the rules and doing it right.

I cant believe there wasnt an investigation when clarrett got caught with all that money or whatever.

I know this sounds crappy...but i will say that is pretty sorry on clarretts part (like many others) who benefit from the money or whatever and then burn the institution that took care of him...all because things didnt go his way.

119705[/snapback]

Agree on both accounts. NCAA needs to be more consistent on what they choose to investigate.

And Clarett... well he sounds like a huge a**hole. JMO.

I have mixed feelings about players receiving benefits but that's a whole other discussion for another time.  My problem, as I said earlier, is the player who accepts the payments, cars etc. and the immeasurable benefits of a scholarship, and then bites the hand that feeds him after he's reaped the rewards.

I agree it's out there, but not as blatant and widespread as some think.  There could actually be those out there following the rules and doing it right.

120069[/snapback]

I think it happens in more places than we think. But, like you said we dont here about it. As for player benefits, I dont think any benefit should be given to a player. They already get food, bed, and free school. Isnt that enough? I dont think the school should provide anything else. Maybe a plane ticket if the guy has a family problem or something.

Archived