Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

To say Auburn will never be a perenial championship pretender is a defeatist attitude. I think it can be, if that makes me less an Auburn man than you then I accept that. Dye and Tuberville had stretches of contending year in year out, so your point is inaccurate. But that statement is my biggest gripe about Auburn nowadays, we seem to strive for mediocrity.

And to say that having the attitude that Auburn should contend every year will make me an unhappy person I find that equally ludicrous. What makes me an unhappy person is the last 2 years. They have been excruciating.

So in your opinions, when Vince Lombardi said "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing," he wasn't talking about Auburn. We are apparently too good for that elitist attitude. My English prof would certainly note the irony.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's also a lying scumbag. "IF" he were to come here he'd have to win immediately to get over this. I don't want the man. I think we can do so much better.

Again, so is Saban. I guess we are too good for him too.

He is a freaking football coach! Why do you even have to trust him? He isn't dating your daughter, he is coaching a football team. Winning is what matters at EVERY school. If you don't win, it doesn't matter how many great men you create, you will be fired. You need to start understanding this.

He would come back as, at best, the 3rd best coach in our division. And it looks like he might be taking a back seat to Sumlin, as well. If winning's all that matters, then I really don't understand why so many of you want to hitch your horse to the Petrino wagon.

Auburn is better than Petrino.

I would argue that Auburn is better than chizik.

I wouldn't try to make that argument but I will say I think there are guys who we could hire that I wouldn't distrust from the very beginning. Apparently, trust is not a big deal to the "hire Petrino" crowd.

He is a freaking football coach! Why do you even have to trust him? He isn't dating your daughter, he is coaching a football team. Winning is what matters at EVERY school. If you don't win, it doesn't matter how many great men you create, you will be fired. You need to start understanding this.

Anybody that is being paid $3 to $4mil a year should be trustworthy. I wonder why coaches talk so much about having to trust their players? Im not being hard on you but how old are you? Trust is an indispensable commodity in any business arrangement. Being the face of the progrram requires that he is worthy of being trusted, in my mind..obviously you dont care if he can trusted or not which seriously makes me wonder about your maturity.

I just posted it because the Falcons departure is one of the things people always bring up with regard to why he isn't trustworthy. And I thought it was important enough info that I haven't seen anyone bring up before, that I didn't want it buried on page 106 of the other thread.

It's fine if just the Arkansas scandal is all that matters to you, but the other two things (the Falcons and Jetgate) don't hold water to me, especially in light of this article. And Jetgate? To me if that's a big hangup for you, then you're just blissfully ignorant of how coaching searches really happen. The only difference is usually on the school's end, some 'unofficial' representative makes the contact instead of BOT members and the president. But that's Auburn's fault, not Petrino's. On the other side, the coach usually lets his agent or some other person be the point of contact. But talking to prospective coaches before you've fired your coach is pretty normal.

I wouldn't try to make that argument but I will say I think there are guys who we could hire that I wouldn't distrust from the very beginning. Apparently, trust is not a big deal to the "hire Petrino" crowd.

Anybody that is being paid $3 to $4mil a year should be trustworthy. I wonder why coaches talk so much about having to trust their players? Im not being hard on you but how old are you? Trust is an indispensable commodity in any business arrangement. Being the face of the progrram requires that he is worthy of being trusted, in my mind..obviously you dont care if he can trusted or not which seriously makes me wonder about your maturity.

I also disagree with this. I trust him to win football games, not get us put on probation and graduate his players. He has proven in the past to be trustworthy in these regards. I'm not interested in marrying him.

Titan are you a Petrino fan or are you just shedding light on the other side of the story??

Sort of both. I'd say that he's probably top of the list for me. I'd at least interview him and do our due diligence on him and how he's handled things in getting his life in order since the Arkansas downfall. I think he's the best option available unless John Harbaugh just hates the NFL for some reason.

But also, I did want to shed some light on the other side of the story. I think a lot of misinformation is being thrown around.

I also disagree with this. I trust him to win football games, not get us put on probation and graduate his players. He has proven in the past to be trustworthy in these regards. I'm not interested in marrying him.

Thas good but based on the man love in here, I could be persuaded to believe that ALL you guys would say yes if he proposed to you! Trust goes beyond what you've stated. I would like to think I could trust a guy to keep his word too. Bobby Petrino hasn't ever been one you could accuse of that! LOL

He would come back as, at best, the 3rd best coach in our division. And it looks like he might be taking a back seat to Sumlin, as well. If winning's all that matters, then I really don't understand why so many of you want to hitch your horse to the Petrino wagon.

With our talent? Please. You have no way of knowing that.

With our talent? Please. You have no way of knowing that.

Talent? What talent? Lets not get that started because i dont see any players on Auburn that are all that good right now

I just posted it because the Falcons departure is one of the things people always bring up with regard to why he isn't trustworthy. And I thought it was important enough info that I haven't seen anyone bring up before, that I didn't want it buried on page 106 of the other thread.

It's fine if just the Arkansas scandal is all that matters to you, but the other two things (the Falcons and Jetgate) don't hold water to me, especially in light of this article. And Jetgate? To me if that's a big hangup for you, then you're just blissfully ignorant of how coaching searches really happen. The only difference is usually on the school's end, some 'unofficial' representative makes the contact instead of BOT members and the president. But that's Auburn's fault, not Petrino's. On the other side, the coach usually lets his agent or some other person be the point of contact. But talking to prospective coaches before you've fired your coach is pretty normal.

im with you on this. i just didnt get the uproar over the jetgate deal.

Well, sir...... I am 40. And by your posts, it seriously makes me wonder if you want Auburn to be successful. And what is your age?

Well, sir...... I am 40. And by your posts, it seriously makes me wonder if you want Auburn to be successful. And what is your age?

Im old enough to be your father, ^-^ lets just leave it at that. Success has many meanings. I'll leave you with one age old adage...careful what you wish for because you just might get it!

Thas good but based on the man love in here, I could be persuaded to believe that ALL you guys would say yes if he proposed to you! Trust goes beyond what you've stated. I would like to think I could trust a guy to keep his word too. Bobby Petrino hasn't ever been one you could accuse of that! LOL

No offense, but Auburn football isn't just about YOU. It makes no difference if YOU don't trust him.

To answer the other question you asked me, I'm old enough to know that the first person that makes the debate personal is always on the losing side, but you appear comfortable with losing.

I'm also old enough to have learned that the person that makes denigrating homoerotic suggestions does so out of repressed homosexuality. Freud and Jung would love your analysis.

Another note on trust: his wife apparently trusts him. Do you claim to know him better than his wife?

No offense, but Auburn football isn't just about YOU. It makes no difference if YOU don't trust him.

Well dayum...theres a real news alert caliber of post.....this forum is about posting opinions. Is it not? Good lord...you're seemingly in full on meltdown son! LMAO

Look out folks! It's the moral police. Thanks perfect citizen.

Hope one day I can reach the level of perfection both of you possess. Must be nice to be pure as the driven snow. Good grief.

Boy, it really stings to be at the wrong end of such razor sharp wit. I guess simple logic and reason isn't worth the hassle if the genius across the table has his next coach already picked out.

The lies on top of lies at Arkansas is all I'm interested in. The other stuff provides a broader picture of a man who thinks of himself over everyone else. I guess he's the typical modern day man. lol

This moderate Republican thinks that sounds like every conservative Republican he meets. Jeb Bush-yep! Governor Scott (FL) -yep! Every idiot in the party that thinks he's wealthy when he/she is only upper-middle class and a medical emergency away from being in financial dire straits-yep! I personally would love to see Bobby P as our HC, but I'd be happy with Jimbo, Strong, Malzahn, etc also.

To answer the other question you asked me, I'm old enough to know that the first person that makes the debate personal is always on the losing side, but you appear comfortable with losing.

I'm also old enough to have learned that the person that makes denigrating homoerotic suggestions does so out of repressed homosexuality. Freud and Jung would love your analysis.

Another note on trust: his wife apparently trusts him. Do you claim to know him better than his wife?

I made a joke that you escalated into a full on psychonanalysis...thats pretty good bud but there was nothing personal about it...it was a joke. Apparently, you're taking yourself AND this debate a little too seriously. At the end of the day there is no winning and losing because the fact is, its all just posted opinions. May I apologize for offfending you to the point of getting personal. Isn't it ironic, isn't it indeed!

Hardly worth a new thread. That said, I'm sure that the same guy who cheated on his wife and unethically hired his mistress- who was engaged to his coworker- was totally on the up and up when he allowed his agent to tell this story on his behalf.

He's a football coach. It doesn't matter what he does in his personal life as long as it is not illegal.

A stranger's personal life is none of your business, nor anybody else's. I swear, y'all are like a bunch of women gossiping about tabloid mags.

Archived