Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

Was called last night from someone inside AD dept--

they said BP would be announced on Mon or Tues--

just reporting what I was told!

Thanks for that first post! Forgive me if I am a little skeptical.

Understand!!

Been on Auburn Eagle and just watching for awhile---intrigued with the notion that since the A&M game a big name has been in place--

I am 50/5o on BP but 100% on Stoops,Patterson,etc.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think JJ and Pat Dye are making the AU decision NOT to hire Petrino, you're mistaken. Sure they have some influence (albeit varying degrees), but you need to look a little higher in the food chain.

Petrino won't be the AU head coach...at least not this time around. Maybe several years down the road when he actually has established an observable track record of high dependability, loyalty, judgment, integrity, etc., unlike now and assuming he is still interested. The only track record we have to look at right now is one of lies, bad decisions and self-centered actions that stretch back a number of years. You simply can't erase your past by pointing to on-field success and saying "I'm sorry, I'll do better, I'll change". It's certainly a good start assuming it is genuine. But the most important part is you have to actually go out and DO IT. Go be both the great offensive-minded coach you are while conducting yourself like a professional CEO of a very large and influential corporation that you also are. He hasn't done anything yet to establish a new track record as a coach.

This year's performance notwithstanding, a program at AU's historical level of prominence should not put itself in the vulnerable position of being his first test case. The risk is too high and the university is more important than any one person.

After 228 pages in this thread alone of rationalizing, arguing and name calling on both sides, the only likely thing we've produced is amusement among outside detractors at how the "AU Family" is at each other's throat. I suspect when the new coach is actually announced it may not make everyone here happy, but I think we should at least all be able to respect them and that will be a good start. War Eagle!

Herk, you just hit it out of the park. That post is the most grounded in reality of any Ive read. Sadly, the "all-in" Petrino crowd simply cant see beyond the end of their own lust for short term success and have hitched all of those hopes and dreams to what in their mind is Auburn's only chance for success..ie. hiring Bobby Petrino. All this talk about checking him out to make sure he's changed is completely farcical. Its only been 7 months since he was summarily terminated from his last gig. How much can be risked on his contrition and words of hope for the future? IMO very little until he SHOWS what the new BP is all about due diligence is a waste of time here simply because not enough time has transpired to base any due diligence on. In any event, I share the same opinions with you, that I dont honestly believe he will be named the next coach for all the reasons you and I see and agree upon.

Anthem of the 8-5ers.

Your posts are so revealing of such a narrow perspective. Clearly, you believe Bobby Petrino is the only candidate in the entire pool of possibilities that can eclipse an 8 - 5 record. Even if I believed that, honestly, I wouldn't be rushing in to post it as much as you do. It significantly diminishes the possibility of anyone taking your posts seriouisly.

Your opinion of me and your influence on people of this board mean very little. So please stop.ou

My infuence on this board? Are you serious? Let me guess...you think you have great influence here? LMAO. I have no interest in influencing anyone. I have a right to post here as I see fit as long as Im not breaking the rules. I will continue to post at my leisure because of people like you who are so misguided in their lust for short term success they simply cannot see beyond their limited opinions. I am convinced that you're not even interested in whats best for Auburn. Your mind is made up that only Bobby Petrino will do and everything else be damned. Like I said such a narrow perspective its very difficult to take anything you post seriously.

Read my second post after your last one. You mad bro?

If you think JJ and Pat Dye are making the AU decision NOT to hire Petrino, you're mistaken. Sure they have some influence (albeit varying degrees), but you need to look a little higher in the food chain.

Petrino won't be the AU head coach...at least not this time around. Maybe several years down the road when he actually has established an observable track record of high dependability, loyalty, judgment, integrity, etc., unlike now and assuming he is still interested. The only track record we have to look at right now is one of lies, bad decisions and self-centered actions that stretch back a number of years. You simply can't erase your past by pointing to on-field success and saying "I'm sorry, I'll do better, I'll change". It's certainly a good start assuming it is genuine. But the most important part is you have to actually go out and DO IT. Go be both the great offensive-minded coach you are while conducting yourself like a professional CEO of a very large and influential corporation that you also are. He hasn't done anything yet to establish a new track record as a coach.

This year's performance notwithstanding, a program at AU's historical level of prominence should not put itself in the vulnerable position of being his first test case. The risk is too high and the university is more important than any one person.

After 228 pages in this thread alone of rationalizing, arguing and name calling on both sides, the only likely thing we've produced is amusement among outside detractors at how the "AU Family" is at each other's throat. I suspect when the new coach is actually announced it may not make everyone here happy, but I think we should at least all be able to respect them and that will be a good start. War Eagle!

Herk, you just hit it out of the park. That post is the most grounded in reality of any Ive read. Sadly, the "all-in" Petrino crowd simply cant see beyond the end of their own lust for short term success and have hitched all of those hopes and dreams to what in their mind is Auburn's only chance for success..ie. hiring Bobby Petrino. All this talk about checking him out to make sure he's changed is completely farcical. Its only been 7 months since he was summarily terminated from his last gig. How much can be risked on his contrition and words of hope for the future? IMO very little until he SHOWS what the new BP is all about due diligence is a waste of time here simply because not enough time has transpired to base any due diligence on. In any event, I share the same opinions with you, that I dont honestly believe he will be named the next coach for all the reasons you and I see and agree upon.

Anthem of the 8-5ers.

Your posts are so revealing of such a narrow perspective. Clearly, you believe Bobby Petrino is the only candidate in the entire pool of possibilities that can eclipse an 8 - 5 record. Even if I believed that, honestly, I wouldn't be rushing in to post it as much as you do. It significantly diminishes the possibility of anyone taking your posts seriouisly.

Your opinion of me and your influence on people of this board mean very little. So please stop.ou

My infuence on this board? Are you serious? Let me guess...you think you have great influence here? LMAO. I have no interest in influencing anyone. I have a right to post here as I see fit as long as Im not breaking the rules. I will continue to post at my leisure because of people like you who are so misguided in their lust for short term success they simply cannot see beyond their limited opinions. I am convinced that you're not even interested in whats best for Auburn. Your mind is made up that only Bobby Petrino will do and everything else be damned. Like I said such a narrow perspective its very difficult to take anything you post seriously.

An occasional post that others wouldn't be horrible doesn't diminish the over top mean spirited defenses you've posted to those who are not for Bobby Petrino. You cant have it both ways. You've shown your hand to everyone whose paying any attention at all. Furious..LOL

My main issue is that I think it would be too easy to recruit against Petrino...negative recruiting is often very effective. With his past issues he would get crushed and we would be left with the scraps

Sorry, I don't buy that for a second. You're talking about a lot of players who come from single parent homes already. They don't expect pristine men to be recruiting their son. They do want to know their son's talent isn't going to be squandered with poor coaching and lack of discipline.

Plus, time heals all wounds. If he can stay out of trouble for a couple of years, win some big games, and put a few guys in the NFL, don't you think folks will stop talking about that stuff? They'll start to sound silly after a while if they're all like "I know Auburn's a top ten program that puts four or five guys in the NFL every year, but the coach had an affair one time."

Key word you used time heals all wounds, which is probably the most realistic way to view this hire......I believe that regardless of the family dynamic BP will have a long way to go with re-earning the trust of many, but over time no doubt he can do that. Just because so many here are willing to forgive him so quickly does not mean others will, especially parents whether they are single or not. He will being preaching his redemption song amongst the roughest toughest recruiters in the nation - it ain't gonna be pretty for him intially, but like you said after some wins and draft picks....that mountain will be come easier to climb.

We forgave Clinton and he was from Arkansas....just sayin

Anthem of the 8-5ers.

An occasional post that others wouldn't be horrible doesn't diminish the over top mean spirited defenses you've posted to those who are not for Bobby Petrino. You cant have it both ways. You've shown your hand to everyone whose paying any attention at all. Furious..LOL

Mean spirited? Really? You are essentially vilifying this guy and in essence saying that he is the scum of the earth and that AU is this pristine pure as the driven snow university. You seem to be way more militant about not hiring BP than I am wanting him to be hired. Look, here is the honest truth, I will support any coach that AU hires with the full enthusiasm that I have always had for Auburn. I am sick of Auburn being the laughingstock of the country because the PTB don't have the stones to hire the best coach because they are so concerned with the soccer moms getting their warm and fuzzy feelings hurt. It's time to hire the best coach that is available. If that is Sumlin, Petrino, Patterson, or someone else, then get him. Just don't settle on a guy because he would be the best "face" to represent "wholesome" values.

I disagree. Not everyone forgave Clinton.

You are correct... don't forget there are TWO Clintons. :shovel:

Anthem of the 8-5ers.

Mean spirited? Really? You are essentially vilifying this guy and in essence saying that he is the scum of the earth and that AU is this pristine pure as the driven snow university. You seem to be way more militant about not hiring BP than I am wanting him to be hired. Look, here is the honest truth, I will support any coach that AU hires with the full enthusiasm that I have always had for Auburn. I am sick of Auburn being the laughingstock of the country because the PTB don't have the stones to hire the best coach because they are so concerned with the soccer moms getting their warm and fuzzy feelings hurt. It's time to hire the best coach that is available. If that is Sumlin, Petrino, Patterson, or someone else, then get him. Just don't settle on a guy because he would be the best "face" to represent "wholesome" values.

Amen brother.......get the BEST/RIGHT coach and don't make excuses.

Bobby Petrino and Jimbo Fisher are the guys. They have been for the past 5-10 years. Forgiveness is not an option for a few judgmental fans, aka saints, that are going to have to get over it.

Past 5 years???

Didn't a Jimbo coached team lose to Virginia last year and get mopped by Florida this year?

Jimbo has a 3 and 5 record against top 25 teams and one of the wins that I give him credit for was over a highly overrated 2010 Miami team. No ACC title either??? I don't even recall his offenses in 2008 and 2009 blowing up scoreboards in the mighty defensive ACC.

I would take BP over JF in a heart beat

Auburn has been after those two guys the last two and a half hires. Now one, possibly both of them want the job. One of them will get it.

Bobby Petrino and Jimbo Fisher are the guys. They have been for the past 5-10 years. Forgiveness is not an option for a few judgmental fans, aka saints, that are going to have to get over it.

Past 5 years???

Didn't a Jimbo coached team lose to Virginia last year and get mopped by Florida this year?

Jimbo has a 3 and 5 record against top 25 teams and one of the wins that I give him credit for was over a highly overrated 2010 Miami team. No ACC title either??? I don't even recall his offenses in 2008 and 2009 blowing up scoreboards in the mighty defensive ACC.

Auburn has been after those two guys the last two and a half hires. Now one, possibly both of them want the job. One of them will get it.

Past 5 years???

I seen plenty of Jimbo's offense here in the mid 90's. I'll pass on Tater Tot's disciple

Hire Bobby Petrino and be done with it. He's the best available but I have no confidence in that goob Jacobs.

I don't have any confidence in JJ either and if he hires BP it will only confirm what a dufus he really is.

Anthem of the 8-5ers.

I approve this message. Especially the soccer mom and warm and fuzzy. 20 years ago, when this was still a man's sport, Petrino's personal life would have been far less of an issue. Hopefully the "committee" can man up and resist the politically correct fringe. Then we can get this thing turned around.

Hire the best coach, period!

20 years ago, a guy getting caught in an affair with a girl half his age and then subsequently lying about it on national television causing even further damage to the institution who employed him would pretty much cause the same hub bub that it has today I believe. If it was personal you and I wouldn't know about it.

Anthem of the 8-5ers.

2 things spring to mind immediately. First, I have never villified anyone. I have recalled a record of dysfunction that has followed Bobby Petrino's career. If you call that villification, I trust that means you dont agree that his career has been one that dysfunction has followed every step of the way? So, please correct my thinking and disprove my observations but please dont attempt to do so by making excuses for him. He's quit, he's lied, he's left w/o notice, he's done most everything one would not want from an employee who is being paid $milllions of dollars. Second, I have also stated that I will support Petrino if the search committee decides thats who they want for the job. Dont try to tell me why I would prefer to have someone else because you're failing miserably with the whole "face of the program" drill. I want whats best for Auburn long term...period! And, as a side note..you need to let go of all that "laughing stock of the country" crap. You act as if you're personally being affected by poor play of the Auburn football team....you're not except in your thinking that "we" are a laughing stock. pfft!

20 years ago, a guy getting caught in an affair with a girl half his age and then subsequently lying about it on national television causing even further damage to the institution who employed him would pretty much cause the same hub bub that it has today I believe. If it was personal you and I wouldn't know about it.

20 years ago it would have depended how bad the school wanted to get rid of the coach. If the school liked the coach, this news never would have seen the light of day.

Anthem of the 8-5ers.

2 things spring to mind immediately. First, I have never villified anyone. I have recalled a record of dysfunction that has followed Bobby Petrino's career. If you call that villification, I trust that means you dont agree that his career has been one that dysfunction has followed every step of the way? So, please correct my thinking and disprove my observations but please dont attempt to so that by making excuses for him. He's quit, he's lied, he's left w/o notice, he's done most everything one would not want from an employee who is being paid $milllions of dollars. Second, I have also stated that I will support Petrino if the search committee decides thats who they want for the job. Dont try to tell me why I would prefer to have someone else because you're failing miserably with the whole "face of the program" drill. I want whats best for Auburn long term...period! And, as a side note..you need to ley go of all that "laughing stock of the country" crap. You act as if you're personally being affected by poor play of the Auburn football team....you're not except in your thinking that "we" area laughing stock. pfft!

I actually don't have many people around me that give me a hard time about Auburn's lack of wins. So no, poor play doesn't affect me personally, but its great to know that you know me better than I know myself. Pfft. And if you have been paying attention and haven't been in a coma for the last two years, you would see that AU is a laughingstock right now. Stop being so blind. It's in front of your eyes, just quit ignoring it.

20 years ago it would have depended how bad the school wanted to get rid of the coach. If the school liked the coach, this news never would have seen the light of day.

Are you suggesting that Arkansas wanted to get rid of Petrino? (umm...no) Or that the media makes it harder to keep things under wraps? Then that is exactly why we don't need a coach prone to embarrassing his employer.

I am not in the least bit concerned with what other people think of Auburn football. Weegl your entire premise of supporting Petrino is based on you saying you're "tired of being a laughing stock". By contrast, I want what is best for Auburn long term and IMO signing off on a knee jerk hire because you're tired of what people may be thinking about Auburn is simply a recipe for disaster. its all good, he wont be hired anyway so we can stop with the endless bickering

Are you suggesting that Arkansas wanted to get rid of Petrino? (umm...no) Or that the media makes it harder to keep things under wraps? Then that is exactly why we don't need a coach prone to embarrassing his employer.

I am suggesting that twenty years ago the schools controlled the local media much more. Player arrests were not reported as much. Coaches indiscretions were not reported as much. If you want to understand what I am talking about, look no further than how the law and media handle bama. They had a player arrested for assault, while a starter at bama, and it took four years, and him being in the NFL, for this news to see the light of day. It was widely reported that Brent Calloway was in the car with starters when he was arrested for possession. Those players were not arrested but escorted home. That is how things were handled twenty years ago, by not only the police but the media as well.

I am not in the least bit concerned with what other people think of Auburn football. Weegl your entire premise of supporting Petrino is based on you saying you're "tired of being a laughing stock". By contrast, I want what is best for Auburn long term and IMO signing off on a knee jerk hire because you're tired of what people may be thinking about Auburn is simply a recipe for disaster. its all good, he wont be hired anyway so we can stop with the endless bickering

Fair enough. Guess we will have to wait and see. War Eagle brother, and it's been fun to debate it with you.

^^^^^^^^ BV gets it!

^^^^^^^^ BV gets it!

+1

smith1.gif

Archived