Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Auburn period. I will always love Auburn. If we hire Petrino I won't support the football team. His moral compass is too far from due north.

Auburn does not have to settle for either integrity or coaching ability, Auburn can and should demand both. Petrino lied to his last employer and the police and knowingly broke EEO laws.

We don't want him here, we can do better.

I love Auburn period. I will always love Auburn. If we hire Petrino I won't support the football team. His moral compass is too far from due north.

This is the way I feel as well. Hiring Petrino IMO would be becoming exactly what most of us consider the other school to be all about. Believe me, it has nothing to do with coaching but to me, coaching a major college program is about more than wins and it always will be. I understand however, that many people care more about winning games than anything else but I just do not agree with that stance. I want to win as much as most people but I simply do not want to win at all costs.

He wins. Has few problems with player arrests. No trouble with the NCAA. As long as he hires a good DC, I have no problem with him.

Proven winner and the best man for the job at this point. I say get him locked in today and do the formal deal the day after the Iron Bowl. I know some people may object based on the character issues, but most of us have made stupid mistakes, especially when it comes to women. I am certainly not in a position to "cast the first stone." So I say hire him!

but to me, coaching a major college program is about more than wins and it always will be.

Major college football is big business and to treat it as anything but is doing a disservice to the university.

I was back and forth about whether I wanted Petrino or not. After seeing oir team just give up Sat night I'm in. I want a tough hard nosed coach that players are scared of but respect. I'm tired of this caudling ( I think thats how its spelled). This generation of players is to immature to respect that. They need dicipline.

Proven winner and the best man for the job at this point. I say get him locked in today and do the formal deal the day after the Iron Bowl. I know some people may object based on the character issues, but most of us have made stupid mistakes, especially when it comes to women. I am certainly not in a position to "cast the first stone." So I say hire him!

The thought of a proven criminal leading our football program doesn't make you want to throw up? Every TV broadcast leading with "Former disgraced Arkansas coach Bobby Patrino has been given another chance by a desperate Auburn program" doesn't humiliate you a bit?

We CAN have both a winner and integrity, we don't have to settle for either/or.

I think we should definitely interview him. He is an offensive guru, did well with Arkansas and their limited recruiting, and flat out develops players. If we could saddle him with a solid, proven DC, that could be a lethal combination. I do hope that our administration will interview several candidates, and make the BEST FOOTBALL choice. I would like to see us interview Strong, Patterson, Peterson, etc., if they are interested in interviewing with us.

My fear is that our administration will just go after Petrino only, and due to his current employment situation, ask him to accept the job with the stipulation of keeping some existing assistant/position coaches. This needs to be a complete "changing of the guard".

Anyway, I love Auburn, and always will. I just hope we make a decision to go for the best available coach, and start competing with bammer, UGA, Arky and LSU again.

The thought of a proven criminal leading our football program doesn't make you want to throw up? Every TV broadcast leading with "Former disgraced Arkansas coach Bobby Patrino has been given another chance by a desperate Auburn program" doesn't humiliate you a bit?

Amen Mikey.

BP would be a really good hire IMO, he can flat out coach against the best of them and that's what we need. Do I like some of things in his past? Well, no. Am I one to judge and cast stones? Again, no. I will fully support anyone who is hired, if you choose not to, then don't let the door hit ya on the way out. We'll survive thank ya very much. WDE.

Who's your guy?

With all the underhanded behind the scene things that have gone on in the past with this university I think its kind of difficult for anyone's judgment of BP to hold any water. Is he my first choice?..NO. Garry Patterson is, but if BP is hired I will support him and this team no matter what. The guy can coach, there's no question about that. Some of you hold onto the argument of his D philosophy, I disagree. If he's hired, I hope everyone can set aside their feelings and support the program like we always have.

War Eagle!

There are a lot better coaches available than Petrino. Charlie Strong, Dan Mullen, Kirby Smart, Paul Rhoads too name a few.

I don't know if could say these guys are "available". They are all currently employed, and seem to be doing well with their current teams. I guess everyone is available for a price, so we could add Saban, Chip Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, etc. to our list.

Whoever it is, I just hope it is done the right way!!!

I don't want the guy that teaches sunday school....I want the guy that wins football games....CBP did very well with very poor talent.....I can only imagine what he would do at Auburn with the talent options he would have.

There are a lot better coaches available than Petrino. Charlie Strong, Dan Mullen, Kirby Smart, Paul Rhoads too name a few.

While I am a fan of Charlie Strong, none of those coaches has the W-L record and coaching chops of Petrino.

I could get past the personal issues I suppose, but could our recruits? That is my main concern with BP, can he overcome the negativity that will be thrown his way on the recruiting trail? I also agree with Mikey's statement that everytime this hire is mentioned on the worldwide leader it will be " disgraced former Arkansas coach BP given second chance by Auburn". Why can't Auburn go after a winner and someone without the baggage?

Recruits want someone that will put them in the position to win and in the position to make the NFL. Majority of our recruits are 4 and 5 stars and a lot of them have issues of their own and their own baggage of some sort....I doubt they would really care.

JMO but in 2010 when the NCAA was after AU and Cam, I knew with Chiz in charge that AU had done nothing wrong. If BP had been the HC, most of us would know that AU was guilty and would be facing a lifetime of probation. BP can say he has no NCAA problems but that's likely because he hasn't been caught ....yet.

Any guy with a family and in a public visibility job that thinks he can mess around with a young female employee belongs somewhere besides AU.

JMO but in 2010 when the NCAA was after AU and Cam, I knew with Chiz in charge that AU had done nothing wrong. If BP had been the HC, most of us would know that AU was guilty and would be facing a lifetime of probation. BP can say he has no NCAA problems but that's likely because he hasn't been caught ....yet.

Any guy with a family and in a public visibility job that thinks he can mess around with a young female employee belongs somewhere besides AU.

Bobby Petrino has never had run ins with the NCAA

Archived