Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

I could get past the personal issues I suppose, but could our recruits? That is my main concern with BP, can he overcome the negativity that will be thrown his way on the recruiting trail?

Recruits like winning and having a chance to play on Sunday. Petrino has no problem with either question.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petrino is a proven liar and deceiver. Look at his history. He walked out on Atlanta without any explanation, and lied to his family and former employer. How can anyone honestly say that he's learned his lesson? He has zero integrity and will fly at the first sign of trouble. He is NOT the answer and will only serve to further push the team down. Arkansas canned him for petes sake. He may get us a few wins, but at what eventual cost? I know we're down badly this year but this is a knee jerk that we don't need.

Chris Peterson....integrity and loyalty.

Petrino is a proven liar and deceiver. Look at his history. He walked out on Atlanta without any explanation, and lied to his family and former employer. How can anyone honestly say that he's learned his lesson? He has zero integrity and will fly at the first sign of trouble. He is NOT the answer and will only serve to further push the team down. Arkansas canned him for petes sake.

Wont leave Boise due to his child's health issues

Petrino is a proven liar and deceiver. Look at his history. He walked out on Atlanta without any explanation, and lied to his family and former employer. How can anyone honestly say that he's learned his lesson? He has zero integrity and will fly at the first sign of trouble. He is NOT the answer and will only serve to further push the team down. Arkansas canned him for petes sake.

1. The way the situation developed, Arkansas had no choice but to fire him. I'll guarantee you they regret the decision now and wish they had him back.

2. Peterson is not leaving Boise.

great coach but has a history of leaving a wake of destruction where he goes; not just 1 incident. too polarizing. we can get a great coach without all the baggage. i feel like we are settling for him. not that he isn't a great coach, but that we can get just as good a coach without all the crap.

malzahn's offenses are better than petrino's. malzahn draws recruits as well. not as proven as a HC but just as good as an offensive coach, imho.

Mullen would NEVER cross my mind, he still hasn't.

I'm not specifically a fan of BP and as someone said, with all the backroom and sometimes front of the room junk, admins, boosters and at times coaching staffs have done, to maintain the self assumed "moral" high ground is funny to me at best. As we presently see, perception and rhetoric RARELY equals reality.

In the worst of ways, we have to toughen up as a program from top to bottom, I'm all for a hardnose staff who will not put up with crap from players, our own staff, rivals or rival programs. I just wish I knew who that was. To throw the cash at Fisher would be my first choice, but who the heck knows, geesh.

Petino

Pluses

- winning HC

- offensive mindset

- sec west HC experience

- experience at auburn as OC

- experience with nfl

Minuses

- business and personal ethics are poor concerning employment

- personal morals are recently shown to be poor

- low popularity

- hiring of girl friend over other job candidates may have broken state and federal law and school policy..

It's the breaking of law and policy that is the major issue with this guy. Take away the girlfriend and hiring incident and he's just another unlikable successful head coach. If he works his way back and shows he's mended his ways he might be ok someday.

Louisville has a basketball coach that had a girlfriend too. He just never hired her as an assistant or lied about it to the university. They kept the guy as a coach. he is the laughing stock of the state of Kentucky, but he wins basketball games.

All that said the parallels between this ex Arky coach and ex president from Arkansas are unreal.. The difference is that the ex president was and still is likable by a huge part of the population. Petrino has never been likable.

great coach but has a history of leaving a wake of destruction where he goes; not just 1 incident. too polarizing. we can get a great coach without all the baggage. i feel like we are settling for him. not that he isn't a great coach, but that we can get just as good a coach without all the crap.

malzahn's offenses are better than petrino's. malzahn draws recruits as well. not as proven as a HC but just as good as an offensive coach, imho.

We all like Malzahn as a OC. We can't really take a risk of hiring an up and comer and hope he pans out though. HC at Auburn comes with a lot of baggage and behind the scenes drama. I would rather go for a known commodity that will kick the PTB out of the football program and run a tight winning ship.

Discuss/debate hiring Bobby Petrino here.

I want Jim Leavitt. Defense minded, hard nosed, built USF and stayed there for 12 years turning down numerous job offers over his tenure. He is from Florida, has recruited the southeast for years, was mentored by Snyder at KSU as their DC in the 90s, and is now coaching Linebackers for the 49ers. Fire Jacobs, bring LEavitt back home to the south, give him the keys to the football program and be done with it.

Petrino cannot be trusted and he brings too much baggage....and I am not sure any decent parents of kids who wanted their kid to play at Auburn would be able overlook his past.

Please stop discussing Petrino. Why woud anyone want him. He is trouble.

This thread is dedicated to the topic. If you don't like it why read? Plenty of schools would want him. I can guarantee you that Arky wants him right now..and they are the ones that fired him.

If you believe Phillip Marshall and consider him a reliable Auburn source, then this whole debate is pointless because he has flat said the PTB will not hire Petrino. I tend to think thats correct. Regardless of whether I think he would win big(and I do) I just don't think they will make that hire.

I'm not specifically a fan of BP and as someone said, with all the backroom and sometimes front of the room junk, admins, boosters and at times coaching staffs have done, to maintain the self assumed "moral" high ground is funny to me at best. As we presently see, perception and rhetoric RARELY equals reality.

In the worst of ways, we have to toughen up as a program from top to bottom, I'm all for a hardnose staff who will not put up with crap from players, our own staff, rivals or rival programs. I just wish I knew who that was. To throw the cash at Fisher would be my first choice, but who the heck knows, geesh.

I like Fisher too but not sure he is available.

I could get past the personal issues I suppose, but could our recruits? That is my main concern with BP, can he overcome the negativity that will be thrown his way on the recruiting trail?

Recruits like winning and having a chance to play on Sunday. Petrino has no problem with either question.

Highly ranked classes do not show up in turdtown because of the coaches warm and fuzzy personality or how he convinces mom/dad how well he'll treat Jr. It is the results. End of story.

If you believe Phillip Marshall and consider him a reliable Auburn source, then this whole debate is pointless because he has flat said the PTB will not hire Petrino. I tend to think thats correct. Regardless of whether I think he would win big(and I do) I just don't think they will make that hire.

I don't believe Phillip Marshall. The hiring of Petrino is significantly higher than people will admit.

Auburn Coach is the face of the program and in many ways face of the university (that's the reality). Having said the person has to win games as well, it has huge impact on revenues among other things. I am skeptical of Petrino that he can change, for the money we pay coaches we should be setting higher standards.

I like Fisher too but not sure he is available.

Come on man, let a brother dream. The worst thing he could tell us behind the scenes is no. We're there already, we've already got no.

Discuss/debate hiring Bobby Petrino here.

I want Jim Leavitt. Defense minded, hard nosed, built USF and stayed there for 12 years turning down numerous job offers over his tenure. He is from Florida, has recruited the southeast for years, was mentored by Snyder at KSU as their DC in the 90s, and is now coaching Linebackers for the 49ers. Fire Jacobs, bring LEavitt back home to the south, give him the keys to the football program and be done with it.

Petrino cannot be trusted and he brings too much baggage....and I am not sure any decent parents of kids who wanted their kid to play at Auburn would be able overlook his past.

And Leavitt doesn't? Isn't he the coach that got run out of USF for mistreating players?

The thought of a proven criminal leading our football program doesn't make you want to throw up?

What proven criminal? Petrino has no criminal record. He lied to an employer which is not against the law. Hiring of a mistress is not a criminal offense.

1-7 makes me want to throw up. losing 63-21 at home makes me want to throw up. losing by 3 TDs to ole piss makes me want to throw up. losing by 3 scores ti MSU makes me want to throw up.

Petrino is the best coach out there that would be willing to just up and move to AU. May be some fans can not see that from being so far up on their moral high horse.

I could get past the personal issues I suppose, but could our recruits? That is my main concern with BP, can he overcome the negativity that will be thrown his way on the recruiting trail? I also agree with Mikey's statement that everytime this hire is mentioned on the worldwide leader it will be " disgraced former Arkansas coach BP given second chance by Auburn". Why can't Auburn go after a winner and someone without the baggage?

Recruits, especially on a national level, are looking to make it in the NFL. Parents of recruits (not all, but most) are looking for financial security, and for their kid to make it to the NFL. I am sure there are some that we will lose out on due to Petrino. For all of those, there will be many more anxiously awaiting an offer from Auburn. Look at USC. It doesn't appear that many kids are "disgusted" with Lane Kiffen, and all his NCAA violations. Same for Saban. If Jim Tressel were to get back into coaching, I'm pretty sure kids would be flocking to play for him, too. Unfortunately, in today's world, morals are more secondary.

And Leavitt doesn't? Isn't he the coach that got run out of USF for mistreating players?

One and the same. Fired for hitting a player during halftime.

Why can't Auburn go after a winner and someone without the baggage?

Why didn't Auburn go after a winner the last time a HC hire was made?

Seriously, why where the two main candidates Turner Gill and Gene Chizik?

I will say this about Phillip Marshall. I know for a fact that since Tuberville left, he has lost almost all of his "sources". I like him as a journalist, however, I do not trust his "inside information" anymore. I will also say this. If Petrino is not even considered or given an interview by Auburn, then I will be very upset. He is the only realistic head coach that Auburn can get and win immediately.....

How could this guy ever look the parents of a recruit in the eye and tell them that "your son will become an educated and well-rounded man if you send him to play for me"? What parent in their right mind would send their son to play for this low-life?

Just my opinion, but we have more than our share of thugs running around campus as it is...

My take: he's the best x's and o's guy out there that is available. And he's shown he can compete in the SEC even with lesser known recruits vs the big boys.

The only reason you wouldn't take him, IMO, is if in interviews and talking with his wife and others who know him and how he's conducted himself since the big debacle, you don't get the impression that he's really ready to get back in the game or hasn't properly dealt with his sins and mistakes...meaning, being humble, taking full responsibility, making changes in his life to be more accountable, is truly repentant.

I've heard from one guy who knows him that says that he is truly repentant. It's not an act and he's been working hard with his wife to repair their marriage. If we can talk with more people who feel the same way and can get him to agree to provisions in the contract regarding checks and balances, accountability and various protections for Auburn, I think there's no way you pass on him.

Archived