Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poet, you keep harping on Petrino's defense. His D improved every year while at Arkansas. Have you looked at his team's statistics? What did Les Miles' stats look like at Oklahoma St? That would be a good comparison.

If you don't want Petrino because he hired his mistress, then I can understand that argument. It is a conflict of interest that exposed his employer. I get that. The other reasons are really grasping at straws because all coaches listen to other offers, jump at an offer for a promotion and will move the family in a NY minute. Wiki any coach and you will see a trail of leaving one job on a whim for another until they climb the ladder. It is part of the profession.

And u are grasping at straws to validate why you want him hired...you can cherry pick stats but any football person would know BP teams are not know for defense and power football, he is known for a a strong passing offense, multiple WR sets, and points.

Because people don't do their research. The facts say his defenses improve over time at a school and that despite not having top talent on that side of the ball. His pass to run ratio is basically even.

If you think he is going to come to AU with the same formula, and win championships then you are mistaken. If I was interviewing him I would want to know how does he plan on building a consistent legit SEC defense and what efforts will he put into recruiting the best players to Auburn. Sorry if you find those as unfounded concerns. I just don't believe he addresses the defense like he does offense, nor does he invest a lot into defensive recruiting. If I was hiring him I would address these questions and would like to hear his plan for development and improvement. You have no concerns about him, which is cool...i still do until he proves otherwise whether he gets that shot at Auburn remains to be seen. I have no issues with coaches looking to better there careers, but clandestine meetings in the night, quitting on your team without being man enough to do it in person, and undermining the university hiring process concerns me and several others. Like I said it may not bother you which is cool, but I am not going to look the other way just because he averaged 10 wins at Arky. We can agree to disagree.

People thought the same thing about Spurrier at one time. Then he hired Bob Stoops, Charlie Strong, Tyrone Nix and Ellis Johnson and things changed.

The hiring of Petrino this early after his fiasco would alienate a bigger portion of Auburn's fanbase than would the decision to hire someone not named Petrino.

Continuing to lose to LSU, Alabama, Georgia and Arkansas will alienate everyone.

Call me all the names you want. You still did not answer the question. WHY COULD HE NOT GET THE PLAYERS IF HE IS SO GREAT? Say what you want,but believe it or not, you have to recruit as part of being the head coach.

For the same reason Saban didn't get the same caliber of players at Michigan State that he got at LSU and is getting at Alabama. For the same reason that Mack Brown didn't get the same level of player at Tulane and North Carolina that he gets at Texas. For the same reason Urban Meyer didn't recruit as well at Utah as he did at Florida.

There's no way you don't get this.

To add to this Titan Tiger, Saban was actually pretty "mediocre" at Michigan State at 34-24-1, but we have seen what has happened when he is at schools where he has a great recruiting base. Again, I would equate Arkansas as a little better than Michigan State, but still Petrino's record at Arkansas speaks for itself. As I and many others who understand how good Petrino is, I cannot imagine how good we could be with Petrino, with all of the resources he would have at his disposal....

Yeah - 10,000 co-eds and he gets to pick which one he wants to embarrass AU with! I dont want to look at my diploma and think about what a piece of trash they hired just to win football games. I hope AU hasnt lost all self-respect.

If Auburn goes out and hires another "up & coming" young coach for the football team to get his head handed to him by Muschamp, Miles, Saban, etc... I am done with them. I love my alma mater but if they're going to settle for mediocrity on the football field, I'll just stop watching college football.

The hiring of Petrino this early after his fiasco would alienate a bigger portion of Auburn's fanbase than would the decision to hire someone not named Petrino.

Continuing to lose to LSU, Alabama, Georgia and Arkansas will alienate everyone.

Now, what was Petrino's record against LSU, Alabama and UGA? He isn't the answer.

Poet, you keep harping on Petrino's defense. His D improved every year while at Arkansas. Have you looked at his team's statistics? What did Les Miles' stats look like at Oklahoma St? That would be a good comparison.

If you don't want Petrino because he hired his mistress, then I can understand that argument. It is a conflict of interest that exposed his employer. I get that. The other reasons are really grasping at straws because all coaches listen to other offers, jump at an offer for a promotion and will move the family in a NY minute. Wiki any coach and you will see a trail of leaving one job on a whim for another until they climb the ladder. It is part of the profession.

And u are grasping at straws to validate why you want him hired...you can cherry pick stats but any football person would know BP teams are not know for defense and power football, he is known for a a strong passing offense, multiple WR sets, and points. If you think he is going to come to AU with the same formula, and win championships then you are mistaken. If I was interviewing him I would want to know how does he plan on building a consistent legit SEC defense and what efforts will he put into recruiting the best players to Auburn. Sorry if you find those as unfounded concerns. I just don't believe he addresses the defense like he does offense, nor does he invest a lot into defensive recruiting. If I was hiring him I would address these questions and would like to hear his plan for development and improvement. You have no concerns about him, which is cool...i still do until he proves otherwise whether he gets that shot at Auburn remains to be seen. I have no issues with coaches looking to better there careers, but clandestine meetings in the night, quitting on your team without being man enough to do it in person, and undermining the university hiring process concerns me and several others. Like I said it may not bother you which is cool, but I am not going to look the other way just because he averaged 10 wins at Arky. We can agree to disagree.

So, who do you see as a great "defensive mind" coach that would come here? Charlie Strong? His defense is barely top 35 in total defense and is 41 in scoring defense in the very weak Big East. He should easily be top 15 defense if he is such a great coach. Patterson? He's a little better with 37th scoring defense and 23 total defense. But, both of those coaches have had average success in weaker conferences. At least when Petrino was head coach, his specialty in offense was consistently top 10, which you can't say about the other two. Petrino would also get the resources to get a proven defensive coordinator. And as stated before, Petrino's defense improved every year he was a coach. And plus, does it matter if the other team scores 17-20 pts a game if you are scoring 35-40 pts a game? If you're wanting a defensive minded coach, you might want UCONN's head coach, or Bowling Green's head coach, or Maryland's head coach then, since they have overall better defenses than Strong or Patterson....

Now, what was Petrino's record against LSU, Alabama and UGA? He isn't the answer.

Its better than what we have now.

Yep, and our coach is out the door soon. Nobody in this thread is complaining about that.

Wow, you apparently have no reading comprehension or just throw out stuff without looking at facts. No one has a winning record against Saban since he's been at Alabama. He has a winning or even record against the other 2 though, much better than other coaches....

Yep, and our coach is out the door soon. Nobody in this thread is complaining about that.

I think Titan has posted the record several times.......But if you are looking at that record as your argument you just about rule out all coaches because how many have beaten LSU and Bama the last 4-5 years?

As was stated earlier:

1-1 vs Georgia

2-2 vs LSU

Also of note 3-1 vs Auburn.

He was 0-4 vs Alabama, but the list of coaches that have beaten Alabama the last 3+ years is Miles, Spurrier and Chizik. We're getting rid of Chizik and aren't getting the other two. But also note...two of the three regularly have recruited as well as Saban and the other has finally begun to do the same just recently.

Call me all the names you want. You still did not answer the question. WHY COULD HE NOT GET THE PLAYERS IF HE IS SO GREAT? Say what you want,but believe it or not, you have to recruit as part of being the head coach.

For the same reason Saban didn't get the same caliber of players at Michigan State that he got at LSU and is getting at Alabama. For the same reason that Mack Brown didn't get the same level of player at Tulane and North Carolina that he gets at Texas. For the same reason Urban Meyer didn't recruit as well at Utah as he did at Florida.

To add to this Titan Tiger, Saban was actually pretty "mediocre" at Michigan State at 34-24-1, but we have seen what has happened when he is at schools where he has a great recruiting base. Again, I would equate Arkansas as a little better than Michigan State, but still Petrino's record at Arkansas speaks for itself. As I and many others who understand how good Petrino is, I cannot imagine how good we could be with Petrino, with all of the resources he would have at his disposal....

Yeah - 10,000 co-eds and he gets to pick which one he wants to embarrass AU with! I dont want to look at my diploma and think about what a piece of trash they hired just to win football games. I hope AU hasnt lost all self-respect.

I think he's smart enough to know that a second strike will be literally the end of his career anywhere. Not to mention, I've heard from a one person who knows him personally that he is truly repentant and has been working hard to restore his marriage.

And u are grasping at straws to validate why you want him hired...you can cherry pick stats but any football person would know BP teams are not know for defense and power football, he is known for a a strong passing offense, multiple WR sets, and points. If you think he is going to come to AU with the same formula, and win championships then you are mistaken. If I was interviewing him I would want to know how does he plan on building a consistent legit SEC defense and what efforts will he put into recruiting the best players to Auburn. Sorry if you find those as unfounded concerns. I just don't believe he addresses the defense like he does offense, nor does he invest a lot into defensive recruiting. If I was hiring him I would address these questions and would like to hear his plan for development and improvement. You have no concerns about him, which is cool...i still do until he proves otherwise whether he gets that shot at Auburn remains to be seen. I have no issues with coaches looking to better there careers, but clandestine meetings in the night, quitting on your team without being man enough to do it in person, and undermining the university hiring process concerns me and several others. Like I said it may not bother you which is cool, but I am not going to look the other way just because he averaged 10 wins at Arky. We can agree to disagree.

How did we win our championship, the only championship in my lifetime (probably the majority of the board's lifetimes)? Was it with defense? NO. He is an offensive minded coach. If you don't prefer an offensive minded coach, then state that you would prefer a defensive coach. Then we can agree to disagree.

I stated that the "conflict of interest" issue is legitimate. If that prevents him from being hired, then fine. I can admit that he made a terrible decision, a shortsighted decision, a decision that may cost him more than already has. However, I have yet to hear a realistic candidate's name with credentials in the same ballpark with Petrino. He is far and away the most qualified candidate, outside of his stupid hire at Arkansas. You cannot admit this or are not willing to admit this.

50/50 run/pass mix, 75% career win pct, 2 conf champs at louisville, 2 bcs bowls, arky record improved every year. If you can show me another potential candidate in this realm, then I will not mention BP again.

"If Saban himself was at Arkansas......and Gene Chizik was at Bama......Gene would out recruit Saban....because the schools do majority of the selling."

LOL. Then you'd be saying Chizik was the best coach.

You think Kansas State gets the best recruits? Take a look at what Bill Snyder is doing out there....again! Snyder and his boys may just take Saban behind the woodshed if Bama makes the NCG.

There are plenty of other options available other than Petrino. Some are proven, some aren't, but most of them didn't foolishly squander the best opportunity of their lives (including milliions of $$$) with unethical decisions in a public manner that severely affected their families, their employers and loads of players for years to come. Get over it.

The reference he made was to recruiting, he made no mention of who was a better coach at all. And...the Kstate reference is a little far fetched don't you think? I'm not sure ANYONE can stop what Bama has going on over in Tuscalooser this year. It is what it is. WDE

I think Titan has posted the record several times.......But if you are looking at that record as your argument you just about rule out all coaches because how many have beaten LSU and Bama the last 4-5 years?

It doesnt matter, its not gonna change his mind about anything. He hates BP for his "moral" issues. Anyone who watches football and has an objective intellect knows BP has done some great things with his teams on the field. Frankly I'm tired of hearing about who hasnt beat Saban or whoever. Saban will get his due soon enough, and to be honest, I believe it will be BP.

Well, we are all having fun with yes, to this one, and, no, to that one.

I certainly put my $.02 in enough.

To me it has come around to how the decision is made over who is decided upon.

If we have a competent and an independent AD, who does a thorough national search and identifies

the best qualified candidate and negotiates to the point of an offer and acceptance

I am prepared to accept the man and let him do his job.

I think he's smart enough to know that a second strike will be literally the end of his career anywhere. Not to mention, I've heard from a one person who knows him personally that he is truly repentant and has been working hard to restore his marriage.

I am sure he has been - unfortunate for him the media in this state wont care what he is doing or will do ------- headlines will read something of the following "Petrino avoids sex scandal for another week as Auburn wins".

Power corrupts some people and Bobby just has not handled his well. It is not really all that hard for me not to cheat on my wife. Let alone create a job to hire my mistress.

I am sure he has been - unfortunate for him the media in this state wont care what he is doing or will do ------- headlines will read something of the following "Petrino avoids sex scandal for another week as Auburn wins".

Power corrupts some people and Bobby just has not handled his well. It is not really all that hard for me not to cheat on my wife. Let alone create a job to hire my mistress.

Who cares what the media thinks? The Alabama state media is going to take shots at Auburn regardless of who the head coach is. You think the state media has taken it easy on Chizik because he's a choir boy?

Petrino teams win, a lot and he hasn't had trouble with the NCAA, that's all I care about.

"Wow, you apparently have no reading comprehension or just throw out stuff without looking at facts. No one has a winning record against Saban since he's been at Alabama. He has a winning or even record against the other 2 though, much better than other coaches"

Well the only coach out of that group that is being discussed as Auburn's next coach is Bobby Petrino, and it should be a concern. I would view the teams that have beat Saban over that time and ask myself.."what brand of football did they play" how did they get it done, can the "BP" brand of football dethrone his main competitor in the SEC west....even though AU is a known commodity, you still have to show efforts in recruiting...you just can't mail it in...I don't factually know what BP recruiting efforts are like, but I have never heard him mentioned with the elite recruiters out there. BP has question marks, he is not the slam dunk many of you make him out to be....

As for other coaches, realistically i like Whittingham at Utah, Gus Malzahn, Jones at Cincy, Mario Cristobal, Al Golden, ..unrealistically I like Stoops, Jeff Fisher, Herm Edwards, Spurrier, Schiano,

Operative word is think - if AU does bring him on they need to KNOW without a doubt he has changed, and as far his marriage it's not anyone's business - I just hope he has learned to tell the truth when confronted with adversity...instead of lying on top of lying....

If you think he is going to come to AU with the same formula, and win championships then you are mistaken. If I was interviewing him I would want to know how does he plan on building a consistent legit SEC defense and what efforts will he put into recruiting the best players to Auburn. Sorry if you find those as unfounded concerns. I just don't believe he addresses the defense like he does offense, nor does he invest a lot into defensive recruiting. If I was hiring him I would address these questions and would like to hear his plan for development and improvement. You have no concerns about him, which is cool...i still do until he proves otherwise whether he gets that shot at Auburn remains to be seen. I have no issues with coaches looking to better there careers, but clandestine meetings in the night, quitting on your team without being man enough to do it in person, and undermining the university hiring process concerns me and several others. Like I said it may not bother you which is cool, but I am not going to look the other way just because he averaged 10 wins at Arky. We can agree to disagree.

People thought the same thing about Spurrier at one time. Then he hired Bob Stoops, Charlie Strong, Tyrone Nix and Ellis Johnson and things changed.

And at no point during Spurrier's tenure at Florida was he ever known for defense, even after making a legitimate commitment to it. A prolific offense almost always gets more attention. It certainly gets more points. There is no active coach with more conference championships than Spurrier. Saban might be on his way, but no one has carved a swath of terror through the conference like Spurrier did, in at least 30 years. His formula worked. Using quite a similar formula, Petrino was poising Arkansas to begin a run of legitimate competition. Arkansas has always recruited poorly, which is a trend I suspect will continue regardless of who coaches there. The university does not have the facilities or pedigree to compete with the top of the SEC, and the geography does not help either. Look at a map, then show me how anyone could outsell many of those surrounding universities on behalf of Arkansas, in any meaningful quantity. He got people good enough, and made them better. Arkansas fans sure felt like he was taking them somewhere.

Defense improved over time as well. Is he as committed to defense as he is offense? I doubt it, but I also doubt he was undermining the efforts of his defensive staff. At Auburn, he can get great recruits on both sides of the ball. He has demonstrated that he builds competitive teams, without the caliber of athletes he can get. I'm convinced that he could build a monster here.

I'm certainly no big fan of that Arkansas debacle, and I'll likely remain skeptical of his atonement. However, he certainly has the best resume of any realistic candidates I've seen posted, and he leads them by quite a bit.

"Wow, you apparently have no reading comprehension or just throw out stuff without looking at facts. No one has a winning record against Saban since he's been at Alabama. He has a winning or even record against the other 2 though, much better than other coaches"

Well the only coach out of that group that is being discussed as Auburn's next coach is Bobby Petrino, and it should be a concern. I would view the teams that have beat Saban over that time and ask myself.."what brand of football did they play" how did they get it done, can the "BP" brand of football dethrone his main competitor in the SEC west....even though AU is a known commodity, you still have to show efforts in recruiting...you just can't mail it in...I don't factually know what BP recruiting efforts are like, but I have never heard him mentioned with the elite recruiters out there. BP has question marks, he is not the slam dunk many of you make him out to be....

As for other coaches, realistically i like Whittingham at Utah, Gus Malzahn, Jones at Cincy, Mario Cristobal, Al Golden, ..unrealistically I like Stoops, Jeff Fisher, Herm Edwards, Spurrier, Schiano,

Don't mean to be rude, but that is a pretty weak list. None of them even compare to Petrino. Are you one of those Auburn fans who is happy with 7-8 wins a year and an occasional 10 win year as long as the coach is a good man? I am sorry, you get those coaches you just listed, and Auburn will be where Ole Miss and Miss. State used to be. You talk about beating Saban, none of those coaches would be able to keep up with him. And as for Petrino's recruiting, yea, he doesn't recruit like we do now, but does it matter? Look at how bad we are with these "super star" recruits. Petrino never had recruiting like us, but he also never had bad recruiting, and he was consistently in the top 20. His "average" players beat our team to a pulp sans when Cam was there. I am sorry, but Petrino is the only coach that we could get that is available that would compete with Saban and Miles immediately...

Florida and Auburn won with the spread. LSU won with ground and pound and defense. Spurrier won with an offensive philosophy similar to Petrino. I am not sure what Utah did, but I think it was the spread.

of your list, I prefer Gus, but I want an offensive HC. Cristobal's team is a disaster this season, so I don't think it would go over with the fanbase. I like golden, although prefer offensive guy. Jones appears to be good, but i question if he is living off the residual effects of Brian Kelly. Whittingham could be a good one, but he is not familiar with the SEC landscape or recruiting base at all.

Agree Titan, fans will get over their "I'm a much better man than Petrino" stance once he is hired and shows his worth. However, fans will not continue to support a program thats shows it's not willing to do what is needed to win. The empty seats at JHS in the 2nd half against A&M proved that.

Archived