Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

"Wow, you apparently have no reading comprehension or just throw out stuff without looking at facts. No one has a winning record against Saban since he's been at Alabama. He has a winning or even record against the other 2 though, much better than other coaches"

Well the only coach out of that group that is being discussed as Auburn's next coach is Bobby Petrino, and it should be a concern. I would view the teams that have beat Saban over that time and ask myself.."what brand of football did they play" how did they get it done, can the "BP" brand of football dethrone his main competitor in the SEC west....even though AU is a known commodity, you still have to show efforts in recruiting...you just can't mail it in...I don't factually know what BP recruiting efforts are like, but I have never heard him mentioned with the elite recruiters out there. BP has question marks, he is not the slam dunk many of you make him out to be....

As for other coaches, realistically i like Whittingham at Utah, Gus Malzahn, Jones at Cincy, Mario Cristobal, Al Golden, ..unrealistically I like Stoops, Jeff Fisher, Herm Edwards, Spurrier, Schiano,

zzz

Evrything about Petrinos record as a football coach indicates he is a "slam dunk". Questions about BPs coaching ability are absolutely without merit. You even admit that some of your concerns arent based on facts.

What have you seen from Herm Edwards that leads you to believe he is anything but what his record indicates which is pretty average.

All the majority of BP bashers see is a chic on a motorcycle, they cant see past that.

The indiscretion does not bother me, but the lies when confronted with adversity do. He had an opportunity to tell the truth, but lied, lied, and lied again.....but you are talking about giving BP the keys to your program, a guy coming off one the most embarrassing events in coaching history, and give him those keys as if none of the other stuff happened besides 11-2, and 10-3. Don't blast people for viewing it as a concern, everyone can't sweep lies away so easily and would prefer the school go in another direction, does not make them stupid, content with 8-5, morally superior, fake Christian, etc....

im not blasting anyone for that, I'm blasting the people that are questioning his coaching abilities. I'm just telling it like it is and if people get offended then maybe they have a conscience about it?

The man is no saint..I get it. The man messed up ROYALY... I get it. But the man HAS been a successful coach everywhere he has been. Would I hire him?...I don't know but I'd damn well consider it if there wasn't anything on the table except a bunch of no named wanna be's like what we have now.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Wow, you apparently have no reading comprehension or just throw out stuff without looking at facts. No one has a winning record against Saban since he's been at Alabama. He has a winning or even record against the other 2 though, much better than other coaches"

Well the only coach out of that group that is being discussed as Auburn's next coach is Bobby Petrino, and it should be a concern. I would view the teams that have beat Saban over that time and ask myself.."what brand of football did they play" how did they get it done, can the "BP" brand of football dethrone his main competitor in the SEC west....even though AU is a known commodity, you still have to show efforts in recruiting...you just can't mail it in...I don't factually know what BP recruiting efforts are like, but I have never heard him mentioned with the elite recruiters out there. BP has question marks, he is not the slam dunk many of you make him out to be....

As for other coaches, realistically i like Whittingham at Utah, Gus Malzahn, Jones at Cincy, Mario Cristobal, Al Golden, ..unrealistically I like Stoops, Jeff Fisher, Herm Edwards, Spurrier, Schiano,

zzz

Evrything about Petrinos record as a football coach indicates he is a "slam dunk". Questions about BPs coaching ability are absolutely without merit. You even admit that some of your concerns arent based on facts.

What have you seen from Herm Edwards that leads you to believe he is anything but what his record indicates which is pretty average.

All the majority of BP bashers see is a chic on a motorcycle, they cant see past that.

The indiscretion does not bother me, but the lies when confronted with adversity do. He had an opportunity to tell the truth, but lied, lied, and lied again.....but you are talking about giving BP the keys to your program, a guy coming off one the most embarrassing events in coaching history, and give him those keys as if none of the other stuff happened besides 11-2, and 10-3. Don't blast people for viewing it as a concern, everyone can't sweep lies away so easily and would prefer the school go in another direction, does not make them stupid, content with 8-5, morally superior, fake Christian, etc....

im not blasting anyone for that, I'm blasting the people that are questioning his coaching abilities. I'm just telling it like it is and if people get offended then maybe they have a conscience about it?

The man is no saint..I get it. The man messed up ROYALY... I get it. But the man HAS been a successful coach everywhere he has been. Would I hire him?...I don't know but I'd damn well consider it if there wasn't anything on the table except a bunch of no named wanna be's like what we have now.

Funny thing is noone knows who is being considered so to make the statement that AU is considering "wanna be's" is ridiculous. Everything is pure speculation until an announcement is made so be patient and relax. It will all work out in due time. I feel confident that the right man will be chosen eventually.

zzz

Funny thing is noone knows who is being considered so to make the statement that AU is considering "wanna be's" is ridiculous. Everything is pure speculation until an announcement is made so be patient and relax. It will all work out in due time. I feel confident that the right man will be chosen eventually.

Youre right, I think we're all on edge. I'm ready to have a team to shove a football down Saban's throat. It's gonna be a rough couple of months

even if petrino hires good dc, he will not recruit defensive ballplayers. 17 wide receivers @ Arkansas! I would like to see consideration given to Todd Graham. if we indeed get rid of chizik. i personally prefer gettin rid of jacobs and jackson etc this year, hire scott etheridge as ad and see how it goes from there.

I'm actually starting to get on board with a Petrino hire. He can flat out coach an offense. I think he finally understands the importance of having a solid defense in the SEC and I have to believe he's motivated to redeem himself. The best way to do that is winning. We will need a strong AD in place and a clear chain of command because of his past issues but I think everyone realizes we need a new AD.

in 3 years BP had Arkansas winning 10 games and BCS bowl. By year 4, Arkansas won 11 games and should have been in a BCS bowl. Both years a divisional rival won the national championship. Minus the bone head bike ride, Arkansas would have been competitive again this year and some were saying before the start of the season that this could be their year for a NC. It is pretty evident how bad Arkansas is without BP on the sideline.

If BP can do that at Arkansas, he can do that and more at Auburn. Period. If BP were to come in next year, he would be coming into a much better situation, talent wise, than he was at Arkansas. Maybe what we currently have doesn't fit his traditional mold, but I have no doubts that he could really develop some of the offensive talent that we have in 2 maybe even less than one year.

BP took Louisville to a BCS bowl and won! LOUISVILLE! He was absolutely dominant with minimal talent and minimal facilities.

BP has a proven track record of developing college programs and winning at the college game.

If Auburn some how pulls in BP, we will win lots of football games.

I'm actually starting to get on board with a Petrino hire. He can flat out coach an offense. I think he finally understands the importance of having a solid defense in the SEC and I have to believe he's motivated to redeem himself. The best way to do that is winning. We will need a strong AD in place and a clear chain of command because of his past issues but I think everyone realizes we need a new AD.

Different fans want different hires, so we are going to have certain groups not happy with whoever we hire.

Petrino will get as much support as any other hire will get (and I think more). There will be some against it at first, but Auburn fans will come together and support the program. That's what Auburn fans do.

There will be some against it at first, but Auburn fans will come together and support the program. That's what Auburn fans do.

If you believe that you must have missed the past couple of years. There is no unanimanity among AU fans and, JMO but no new coach will have strong support from the blog-base. Contrary to the post above, what I've observed, is that Auburn fans "eat their own".

Personally I would look at BP as a moral slide by AU, no matter how many games he wins...and when (not if) he does something to embarrass the school I won't be surprised. Jimbo sounds fine but I don't expect him or anyone else coaching at AU to dominate the SEC....too much talent out there and too many good coaches.

There will be some against it at first, but Auburn fans will come together and support the program. That's what Auburn fans do.

If you believe that you must have missed the past couple of years. There is no unanimanity among AU fans and, JMO but no new coach will have strong support from the blog-base. Contrary to the post above, what I've observed, is that Auburn fans "eat their own".

Personally I would look at BP as a moral slide by AU, no matter how many games he wins...and when (not if) he does something to embarrass the school I won't be surprised. Jimbo sounds fine but I don't expect him or anyone else coaching at AU to dominate the SEC....too much talent out there and too many good coaches.

Every teams fanbase eats their own,so to speak. I don't think AU is all that unique in that aspect. As far as coaching goes, every dog had his day. If we get an established coach, our day will come as well.

Every teams fanbase eats their own,so to speak. I don't think AU is all that unique in that aspect.

I'm not so sure. But for certain, we used to be more tolerant (and rational) about the normal ups and downs of football seasons over time.

I'm afraid the recent success of the guys across the state has made a number of AU fans unrealistic about AU's potential in the SEC.

Bricks have been thrown through office windows. Two players home was egged recently. Many examples of lunacy in the world. Teabaggers are serving time and others are undergoing mental evaluation. Social media has helped fuel it and makes us more aware of it at the same time.The same opinion differences have been there forever, we are just having instant access to them now.

Every teams fanbase eats their own,so to speak. I don't think AU is all that unique in that aspect.

I'm not so sure. But for certain, we used to be more tolerant (and rational) about the normal ups and downs of football seasons over time.

I'm afraid the recent success of the guys across the state has made a number of AU fans unrealistic about AU's potential in the SEC

Does this look like a normal down to you? It was 42-7 at halftime last week. Chizik shouldn't have been allowed to coach the second half.

I don't think understood what I'm saying.

Nobody was happy when Auburn hired Gene Chizik, but we eventually got over it and went with that wait and see attitude. When Chizik turned things around and started winning big, we all loved and supported him.

The same will happen with Petrino, if he is hired. Winning games cures all in the long run.

JMO

I'm afraid the recent success of the guys across the state has made a number of AU fans unrealistic about AU's potential in the SEC.

Going from 14-0 to 8-5 to 1-7 with blowout losses is not "normal ups and downs of football", especially when you're recruiting as well as we have the last 3 years. It's not unrealistic for Auburn fans to expect the team to not look like a frickin' dumpster fire out there every Saturday. The expectations aren't out of whack to expect basic competence.

I didn't talk to anyone that expected Auburn to win the SEC this year. Optimistically, most thought we were still behind LSU and Alabama in the West but that we might be able to out do Arkansas. Hopefully that would result in a record of around 9-3 for the regular season. If things took a little longer to gel for the offense and the new QB, something between 7-5 to 8-4 felt right but that we'd take our lumps early and get better as the season progressed. Does that sound like unrealistic expectations to you? Well let me clue you in: It's not.

1-7 and getting embarrassed by A&M is not a normal "down" for Auburn. Ever.

I've always believed AU has "potential" in the SEC. Every I've always believed we are going to beat Bama or have a shot. This year is the first year in my 30 years of being an AU fan that I have no doubt we will get crushed.

Nobody was happy when Auburn hired Gene Chizik, but we eventually got over it and went with that wait and see attitude. When Chizik turned things around and started winning big, we all loved and supported him.

The same will happen with Petrino, if he is hired. Winning games cures all in the long run.

JMO

I have a feelin if BP is hired the guys across the state and the SEC as a whole will be quite nervous.

JMO

I have a feelin if BP is hired the guys across the state and the SEC as a whole will be quite nervous.

have a feelin if BP is hired the guys across the state and the SEC as a whole will be quite nervous

Yep me too....be quite nervous that is.

JMO

Unless you are counting the Mississippi schools I don't think anyone will be nervous about the BP hire, I don't think Saban would not be concerned as he has beat Petrino like a drum the last 4 years. Noted, I think Petrino will have far better overall talent, but do any of you think our current QBS can perform in his system?

JMO

Unless you are counting the Mississippi schools I don't think anyone will be nervous about the BP hire, I don't think Saban would not be concerned as he has beat Petrino like a drum the last 4 years. Noted, I think Petrino will have far better overall talent, but do any of you think our current QBS can perform in his system?

I think JW has potential to run any offense , seems he has that kind of drive in him. Jeremy Johnson would be a tailor made QB for BP offensive scheme.

One thing to consider in a new coach is "fear factor". Saban wins a lot of games because teams/coaches are afraid of playing him. Don't believe me, look back at their season. Michigan, a top 10 team, doesn't even show up against them. They looked beat before the ball was ever kicked off. Missouri, UT and Miss. St. were all the same way. Beat before the game even started.

This is the type of coach Auburn needs. We need a coach that other teams fear to play. A coach that other coaches hate to see on the schedule. Bobby Petrino would be this type of coach. Sure, Saban is 4-0 against him, but that was with 2-3 star talent that Arkansas could pull. Saban knows that on a level playing field, with equal talent, facilities and resources, that his record against Petrino wouldn't be lopsided. Many other coaches know this, as well. This is why they are all playing the "Auburn has no morals if they hire Petrino" angle. Do you think they care about morals in regards to Saban???? They care about wins and losses, and NC's, which Saban has them competing for EVERY YEAR. I seem to recall our current coach say that is where he was going to take Auburn, competing for NC's EVERY YEAR. I don't claim to be a genius, but going 14-0 to 8-5 to 1-7 isn't exactly competing for NC's every year.

One thing to consider in a new coach is "fear factor". Saban wins a lot of games because teams/coaches are afraid of playing him. Don't believe me, look back at their season. Michigan, a top 10 team, doesn't even show up against them. They looked beat before the ball was ever kicked off. Missouri, UT and Miss. St. were all the same way. Beat before the game even started.

This is the type of coach Auburn needs. We need a coach that other teams fear to play. A coach that other coaches hate to see on the schedule. Bobby Petrino would be this type of coach. Sure, Saban is 4-0 against him, but that was with 2-3 star talent that Arkansas could pull. Saban knows that on a level playing field, with equal talent, facilities and resources, that his record against Petrino wouldn't be lopsided. Many other coaches know this, as well. This is why they are all playing the "Auburn has no morals if they hire Petrino" angle. Do you think they care about morals in regards to Saban???? They care about wins and losses, and NC's, which Saban has them competing for EVERY YEAR. I seem to recall our current coach say that is where he was going to take Auburn, competing for NC's EVERY YEAR. I don't claim to be a genius, but going 14-0 to 8-5 to 1-7 isn't exactly competing for NC's every year.

^^^^someone gets it.

^^^^someone gets it.

Amen. Do coaches not have a "no compete" clause in their contracts? They are hired and paid to field a competitive team.

^^^^someone gets it.

Amen. Do coaches not have a "no compete" clause in their contracts? They are hired and paid to field a competitive team.

What Saban did leaving Miami does not compare to the Petrino incident at Arkansas not remotely close. Yes coaches are hired to compete and win but to do it without morals/ethics/standards just so we can be entertained by fooseball is ridiculous...furthermore I have never heard a coach say they dread playing a Petrino coached team, his teams do not beat you down physically like a Saban/Miles team, Petrino teams may sling it around but his teams do not physically dominate you and make you regret playing them. It's not Saban the teams fear it's his style of play that people fear. The spread is what I think Saban fears, that's why he has been running around talking against it.....

Archived