Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So who do we hire three years after we hire BP and he either leaves or does something else stupid?.

Maybe we should start a new topic....Candidates for the AU job in 2016.

Taggert. He will be the hot name by then.

Well said AU64. Couldn't agree more. The Petrino fanboys want to paint all those that are not in favor of his hire a bible toting Bama lovers that do not want to see success at Auburn. The truth is that Auburn will hire a coach that will be capable of success and will also be more of an upstanding citizen. Petrino is not the man this university needs and we will be successful without him. Once all of the dust settles we will have a good coach that represents the university well and is also successful. Guaranteed Petrino will not be hired at Auburn.

God chose David to lead Israel. David fooled around and even had one of his officers killed so he could steal his wife away. So ya'll are holier/better than God? Blasphemy!!! Hire Petrino and follow God's example and pick the best candidate for the job despite his personal failings.

I don't think God is employed at AU, so therefore he won't be choosing Petrino or anyone else to lead us. The PTB (what's left of them) may think they are God-like and can bring Petrino in, but I don't see it happening. As a Christian I have drawn my line in the sand. I will continue to pray for healing in Petrino's family and everyone involved. I will continue to support Auburn University, so long as Petrino is not the coach at AU.

War Eagle!

Religion has nothing to do with my comment that follows:

Patrino hired his girlfriend to a position that was under his supervision, then gave her a $20,000 "performance bonus" so she could buy a car. He lied to the police about his accident, lied to his boss about the relationship and lied to the press and later, lied to the University of Arkansas, humiliating that school in the process. He is still in jeopardy of being the target of several EEO and sexual harassment lawsuits.

My good friends, Bobby Patrino is unemployable by Auburn University. He won't even be considered by those making the decision.

What coach said that you lose 10% of your fan base every year? How would that work if you only started with 50%? Petrino is an excellent coach but just not the right fit at Auburn at this time. IMHO

I don't think God is employed at AU, so therefore he won't be choosing Petrino or anyone else to lead us. The PTB (what's left of them) may think they are God-like and can bring Petrino in, but I don't see it happening. As a Christian I have drawn my line in the sand. I will continue to pray for healing in Petrino's family and everyone involved. I will continue to support Auburn University, so long as Petrino is not the coach at AU.

War Eagle!

Wow, so your GOD that you strive to be like can forgive, but you can't huh?

I'm glad nobody here has any say in who we hire.

Patrino hired his girlfriend to a position that was under his supervision, then gave her a $20,000 "performance bonus" so she could buy a car. He lied to the police about his accident, lied to his boss about the relationship and lied to the press and later, lied to the University of Arkansas, humiliating that school in the process. He is still in jeopardy of being the target of several EEO and sexual harassment lawsuits.

My good friends, Bobby Patrino is unemployable by Auburn University. He won't even be considered by those making the decision.

Thanks !

Well, he may not get the job for some of the reasons you mentioned above, but he's already being considered by those making the decision.

Well, he may not get the job for some of the reasons you mentioned above, but he's already being considered by those making the decision.

Strongly considered*

I will support our next coach, regardless of who it is. I have serious reservations about Petrino, but he would win and win fast. He would put a good product on the field. He certainly has made many mistakes and should have learned a lot about who he is and what he should become. If he has turned things around, we get the biggest steal in college football. Fans and the press are very fickle. If he wins, everyone will love him. In the end, I am not sure he has enough support to get the job.

And on that point, we're hearing different things. You're hearing he's being considered, I'm hearing that his name is not even in the pot. Logic dictates that the above actions Petrino took disqualify him from employment by any major public institution for many legal and business reasons. I guess time will tell.

I have already said that I do not think AU should hire BP. That said, he will not be subject to a sexual harrassment claim. Ms. Dorrell is the only one who could file such a claim and she has already signed a full release. Just for preciseness, the $20K came from BP's personal funds, not from Ark's funds. There is a possibility of Ark being subject to sexual discrimination claims from the other applicants, but, realistically, there is not that much gold in those hills. I doubt that a plaintiff atty would get too excited that.

I'm borrowing a metaphor from one of the longtime insiders on another forum but I think it is a good one.

In the coaching ranks there are the wolves and the sheep. The predators and the prey. It is high time the PTB at Auburn stop making coaching hires based on being chummy with someone, the coach being a nice guy, someone they think will give the school good PR, someone they can control and so on. This has been our pattern for far too long. It needs to stop.

Unlike past coaching changes, we do not exist in an era where we compete with the like of Gerry Dinardo, Ray Goff or Jim Donnan, Ron Zook, Sylvester Croom or Rocky Felker, Mike Shula or Mike Dubose. The SEC is a conference where the better teams are led by predators. If we screw this up by passing on Petrino and not having a damn good alternative in terms of true coaching ability, attention to detail (and specifically the details that actually matter rather than how you line up your helmet during stretching drills), X's and O's, demanding perfection or something damn close to it and discipline, we are going to get buried.

I know Petrino wants this job. He has wanted it for years. I know he wants a chance to redeem himself and show he's not the guy that ended up in scandal at Arkansas. And I know he's a predator. Some feel Fisher could fill that role as well and maybe he could. But there are indicators he's an 8-10 win guy who'll regularly give you inexplicable losses too. After that, the pickings get really slim in terms of proven experience or us actually having a prayer of getting them to the Plains. If people are just stubbornly and closed-mindedly against even giving Petrino a chance to show them what he's done to change his life around and what he's done to show he's truly a different man now, they better have a REALLY good and realistic Plan B. Because I'm done with the nice guy, rummage through the coal and hope we picked a diamond in the rough hires.

We better hire a predator this time. Or we will get eaten alive.

I'm borrowing a metaphor from one of the longtime insiders on another forum but I think it is a good one.

In the coaching ranks there are the wolves and the sheep. The predators and the prey. It is high time the PTB at Auburn stop making coaching hires based on being chummy with someone, the coach being a nice guy, someone they think will give the school good PR, someone they can control and so on. This has been our pattern for far too long. It needs to stop.

Unlike past coaching changes, we do not exist in an era where we compete with the like of Gerry Dinardo, Ray Goff or Jim Donnan, Ron Zook, Sylvester Croom or Rocky Felker, Mike Shula or Mike Dubose. The SEC is a conference where the better teams are led by predators. If we screw this up by passing on Petrino and not having a damn good alternative in terms of true coaching ability, attention to detail (and specifically the details that actually matter rather than how you line up your helmet during stretching drills), X's and O's, demanding perfection or something damn close to it and discipline, we are going to get buried.

I know Petrino wants this job. He has wanted it for years. I know he wants a chance to redeem himself and show he's not the guy that ended up in scandal at Arkansas. And I know he's a predator. Some feel Fisher could fill that role as well and maybe he could. But there are indicators he's an 8-10 win guy who'll regularly give you inexplicable losses too. After that, the pickings get really slim in terms of proven experience or us actually having a prayer of getting them to the Plains. If people are just stubbornly and closed-mindedly against even giving Petrino a chance to show them what he's done to change his life around and what he's done to show he's truly a different man now, they better have a REALLY good and realistic Plan B. Because I'm done with the nice guy, rummage through the coal and hope we picked a diamond in the rough hires.

Well said Titan. I agree 100%.

I strongly approve this message.

I agree with this idea. The problem I have is with Petrino and that is personal with me. The idea of having to hire a hard nosed SOB is 100% accurate though

So who do we hire three years after we hire BP and he either leaves or does something else stupid?.

Maybe we should start a new topic....Candidates for the AU job in 2016.

I guess we could just hire Saban this year. There's no way he'll still be at bama after 5 years, right?

That's what everyone said when they hired him :dunno:

If the only thing BP did was have an affiar then he would be hired the day after the Iron Bowl. His mistake that might cost him some coaching jobs was the cover up. There is no doubt he can coach football.

Well said Titan Tiger. Unfortunately, I have no faith in the Auburn administration to get a guy like Petrino. I, like you, want Petrino, but would not hire him until I did my homework on him and made sure he has changed. I have said a 1000 times that Petrino is the best available coach, Jimbo Fisher is far and away number 2. I'm sorry, but anyone else we get is, as you said, a coach who we hope would pan out. I wish there board members like you and me, and some others who support the Petrino hire, if only we did our homework. Auburn fans need to understand that the SEC now is not like the SEC 8 and 15 years ago. The best coaches are the SOB coaches no one likes, but demands perfection. Petrino is that. But again, Auburn the University, just like most of our fans, are based on soft and cuddly ideas, not hard nosed, in your face ideals or coaches. So, people who do not want Petrino will probably will get your wish, and we'll get a Taggert or some other low profile name coach who will be at best an 8 win a season coach. You Auburn fans who say you want Auburn to be the best sure do not act like it. Auburn not hiring Petrino, if Auburn knows he has changed his ways, will be the biggest mistake we have made...

This is why it is imperative to hire a new AD first, then go after a new HC. The current regime has failed us in adopting the attitude needed to compete in the SEC. You can't have a choir boy coaching your football team. Look what that has gotten us!!! Physically and mentally weak 4-5 star athletes, who should be competing for championships, yet are really hoping to "rally behind our 3rd QB of the season" to get a win against New Mexico State!!!

For all those out there that don't want to give Petrino a chance, let me assure you that Saban, Miles, Spurrier, Muschamp, Richt, Mullen, etc. REALLY, REALLY hope we hire a Taggert, a Rich Rod, or some "up and comer". They know that if we hire Petrino, with the talent we have on our sidelines and in our recruiting class this year, that Auburn will bounce back immediately, and contend for the SEC West NEXT YEAR. Mark my words, get Petrino, let him hire a solid DC (maybe even BVG stays on, if that is what Petrino wants), and the mullets, the coon asses, the cocks, the gaytors and the dawgs will all lose a lot more sleep this offseason.

I just wish I ONCE had an experience with a woman that warranted a $20,000 "performance bonus"

War Eagle!

It's called "taking the piss"(British slang)! I'm poking fun at the holier than thou bunch that make a big deal over a successful man having a fling with a hot young woman, now that his wife has lost her looks. It happens every where in the world and really should not be a reason that AU should hire a lesser coach and lose millions of dollars when the lesser coach fails.

Archived